“Paradise Found!”
Review of COMO Cocoa Island

COMO Cocoa Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was our second visit to Cocoa Island and we found it to be as perfect as the last time we visited, in October 2012. The staff -- especially Gustini, Chris, and Razeen -- continue to be personable, funny, and insipiring with the warm service they provide. We fondly remember each of the Cocoa Island staff members, they are wonderful and authentic. The rooms are immaculate -- under-stated and meticulously maintained. The food is great -- even better than the Como Shambhala in Bali, which is hard to live up to! It's a particularly good mix of choices for each meal for those who enjoy either Western and Eastern meals, which is not always the case. And, the location and snorkeling are perfect and make Cocoa Island a pristine paradise. This time, we saw spotted eagle rays, blacktip sharks (not frightening), giant moray eels, turtles, and dozens of fish right off the reef by our dhoni suite. An hour at Cocoa Island is worth a week of relaxation.

We've traveled all around the world and this remains our favorite destination. Although it takes us 35+ hours to travel to the Maldives from the United States, we are already planning our return trip for summer 2014.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Calif0rnia007
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Calif0rnia007
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

Undeniably, it is our greatest desire to keep Cocoa Island as the choice resort in Maldives, hence the wonderful feedback you have shared with us will be of great interest for our esteemed guests.

I certainly hope that Cocoa Island have contributed to some fond memories that you and family can hold dearly to and I thank you for your continuous patronage at Cocoa Island.

Laurent Sola

Write a ReviewReviews (1,363)

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Cocoa in April 2013. We stayed in a loft villa. These villas are a perfect size for two adults with an upstairs king sized bed and adjoining toilet room. The upstairs can be curtained off from the rest of the villa by an automatic curtain when needed. Downstairs is a large lounge area and small dining area with tea/coffee making facilities (Nespresso). The bathroom is fantastic - free-standing bath, indoor shower and wonderful outdoor shower on the private decking area at the side of the villa (stairs form here into the sea). The main decking area at the back of the villa is large with one big double day-bed/lounger and a dining table and chairs. Stairs from the decking lead straight into the sea.
The resort itself is picturesque. It is a very small island with limited activities but if you want to relax, enjoy excellent spa treatments, excellent food and plenty of good snorkelling and diving then Cocoa is ideal. It is probably not suitable for children given the limited activities, small pool area and fact that the accommodation is all on raised walkways which have quite a drop at low tide. Several couples did have young babies and seemed quite happy with the facilities in this respect.
The restaurant served excellent food with great variety as the menu changed every night. The seafood BBQ was particularly delicious. The spa treatments were excellent, as were the spa facilities. The house reef is lovely - not the best I have seen in the Maldives but plenty to see and for those who are content with endless colourful fish then it is perfectly adequate. The baby black tip reef sharks near the beach are beautiful and no danger! We were also lucky enough to spot quite a few turtles and dolphins at the reef edge. Visability was excellent.
The staff were extremely accommodating and clearly well trained.
The only criticism we have is that sound does carry very easily from the outside decking areas of one villa to another. With this in mind, it would be considerate for the resort to place families/couples with babies away from couples staying alone so as not to disrupt relaxation. The resort is rather expensive and certainly at the higher/luxury end but the Maldives is not a cheap destination and I would certainly return to this resort again as it was worth every penny to relax so completely!

Room Tip: Loft villas are the way to go. When selecting a villa, ask for one with sunset views if possible. Al...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MM_2000_13

Dear MM_2000_13

A thousand “Thank You” for the wonderful comments you are sharing on your recent stay with us. I am surely pleased to hear you have enjoyed everything our beautiful island has to offer.

Please do not hesitate one second about coming back to visit us! We will be here ready to welcoming you back!

A très bientôt
Laurent

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Have just arrived back home in Australia after spending the most amazing 7 nights at Cocoa Island. From the moment we arrived at Male Airport to the moment we left everything was wonderful. I cannot honestly fault anything. The island, the accommodation (Loft Suite 822), the service, the food, the cocktails! all perfect. The snorkelling from our room was fantastic and managed to see dolphins, turtles, reef sharks, eels, rays and millions of the most amazing tropical fish all from the steps of our suite. We were first time scuba divers and although I couldn't manage it, my husband went on to do a total of 3 dives, thank you Abo for looking after us so well a truly memorable experience and so personal. Thoroughly enjoyed the sunset fishing trip, so much fun, I caught a 20kg Nurse Shark on a hand line, it was such a buzz. So glad they let it go again! The food was of a very high standard, excellent variety and great service when dining in the restaurant or in room. So many thoughtful little touches throughout the resort that make you appreciate your stay here even more, believe me Laurent they don't go unnoticed :) !!!! If I ever get the opportunity to travel back to The Maldives I would not hesitate to stay at Cocoa Island again in fact I would find it very hard to trust another resort to live up to the standards that Cocoa Island has set with me (Except maybe 5 days at Cocoa followed by 5 days at the new Como resort opening later in the year!). Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Laurent, Gustini and ALL the wonderful, wonderful staff our stay with you was truly the holiday of our dreams.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TinaBendigo

Dear TinaBendigo

“Merci 1000 fois” for the wonderful comments!!

I cannot start to thank you enough for the wonderful review you have just written.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como this year!

Encore Merci!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon in June, 2013 and stayed at Cocoa Island for 7 nights. Every 24 hour period was perfect with regards to rest, relaxation, activities, food and environment! If only this place were closer to California we would definitely make a point to visit every year.

The Maldives are such a special area of the world, and Cocoa Island does an amazing job of capturing everything the Islands have to offer. Yes, it is a luxurious resort and you are there for "island living", but the different staff and their cultural influences really broaden your horizons to that part of the world. We experienced Maldivian, Indian, Pakistanian, Sri Lankian and Asian people and influences, especially regarding food and artisinal goods.

That is always a bonus when it comes to travelling...but let's get down to the nitty gritty!

We stayed in a one bedroom villa (1003) which was absolutely breathtaking! It was spacious, clean and bright, and easy to get to without being too close to your neighbor. We loved the fact that we could step in to the Indian Ocean from our back patio and swim/snorkel with ease. I loved having a choice between outdoor vs indoor (A/C) shower, and there was an iPod dock that was easy to use so that you could really feel at home.

We had a wonderful butler by the name of Muru who was on top of his game. Not only did he anticipate our every need, but he truly just made life easy and wonderful for us during our entire stay. What a joy it is to have someone who can find an eye mask for you on a whim or go grab your camera from your room so you don't skip a beat gazing at the sharks during your holiday. He was the best - a total professional!

The food at the resort (only one restaurant on the island) is unbelievably tasty and fresh! Every meal was full of delightful surprises, and they mix it up by having a "theme night" (Thai, Sushi) which you could not go wrong with. Our last night we had the Seafood BBQ dinner and WOW!!! Some of the freshest and tastiest seafood we have ever had (and we love to eat!)!
By far this is the way food should taste wherever you go, and the chef here (who is very nice and quite talented) is so obviously creative and dedicated to serving good, quality food. Absolutely unforgettable cuisine!! And their wine list is pretty up to speed considering they have to import all alcohol.

Lastly - the resort/island itself is just perfect! The size is manageable (33 villas of various sizes). The fitness facility has everything you could possibly need, and is air conditiioned (big help!) and has an iPod dock which is always motiviating (especially when you're on holiday)! Their yoga pavillion is lovely and overlooks the water. Their spa is clean and simple, and their staff is very attentive. And you MUST take a dip in their state of the art Hydrotherapy pool - it is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere! And you really do experience therapy from their various pools - as good as, if not better than a hands on massage!

But MOST importantly: the water and the facilities for visiting/frolicking in the water are just perfect!The staff there is so friendly, helpful and ready to accommodate your every need/question. They have wonderful activities that take advantage of the magnificent water and marine life while respecting the creatures and reefs. We are relatively novice swimmers, and our experience there on a guided snorkel tour really inspired us to spend as much time in the water as possible! Our guide was so attentive and careful with us, and he allowed us to feel so comfortable in this new water....which is huge! It is the most peaceful experience and we are so thankful we swam in the water and saw such gorgeous marine life without being scared. Cocoa Island is just so perfect for seeing unbelievable ocean life!

I would HIGHLY recommend that if you visit the Maldives that you consider staying at Cocoa Island. You will not be disappointed whatsoever unless you have unrealistic expectations - - - this place EXCEEDED our expectations, and we didn't have any! This island is a very special place and if we ever make this long journey back I would most likely stay at Cocoa Island/COMO Hotel (I hear they are opening another hotel in the South Male Atolls).

Room Tip: Go for it and get a one bedroom villa - 1003 was great but 1001 will allow you to see more marine li...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Viollette D
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

I certainly hope that Cocoa Island have contributed to some fond memories that you and husband can hold dearly to and I thank you for your support of Cocoa Island.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We just came back from Cocoa couple of days ago, it was amazing, beyond our expectations! The staff there are really nice and very willing to help, so if you have any questions or requires, they would try to offer it. On our first day, I asked about the tour trip to Male, and the guy who picked us up at the airport recommended us to go there on our leaving day, so we could save money and also time, which we found very thoughtful, and it turned out to be a smart choice!
For the food, the in-room dining menu has much more choices than eating at the restaurant, and very tasty as well. And the Thursday seafood buffet was amzing! We really enjoyed it!
Cocoa island is a small and quiet island, and is more for people who want to just relax and enjoy the sunshine!

Room Tip: All the rooms are water villas, I don't find a big difference there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jojo X
Bonjour from Cocoa!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Your praise and recognitions goes a long way and our team is thrilled to hear such positive feedbacks.
I am ever so glad you have enjoyed everything our beautiful island has to offer and particularly our food and beverage selections!
I surely hope I will have the chance to welcoming you back on Cocoa this year and remain at your disposal anytime until then.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Fabulous spot for scuba diving. On site team very professional and personal service as he honeymooners are late risers so dive boat to ourselves. Best dressed boat crew ever in crisp white shirts, and blue chinos. Refreshing towels, water and juice after the dive. Saw Mantas, Sharks, Turtles, Rays big shoals loads reef fish. Personal service by name across the island. Great food in the one resuarant and lots of variety for such a small place. Quiet of course, but that's why you go. Easy speedboat ride from Male about 40minutes. waited on hand and foot. You just have to ask. Sometimes I didn't need to ask things appeared as if by magic. My wife shed a tear when we left!

Room Tip: The Dhoni "boats" over water were great.
1  Thank SunScuba

Dear SunScuba
Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that you have enjoyed every little things our beautiful island has to offer.

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at Cocoa Island for our honeymoon just a couple weeks ago, and we had an AMAZING experience. First off - if you look at their packages, you get a bunch of perks for being there on your honeymoon (if you stay in a nicer room...& be sure to bring your marriage license).

We stayed in a One-Bedroom Villa towards the sunrise side, and it was so comfortable. The room was so spacious, clean, and comfortable. We absolutely loved sitting out on our deck and watching the sunrise. And we also loved the outdoor shower as well!

The staff is so professional and friendly. My husband got sick while we were there, and everyone from the head chef to the general manager checked up on us and made sure we had everything we needed. They were helpful with every aspect of the day, making us relax and just enjoy.

The food is AMAZING. We loved drinking the cocktails, mocktails, and iced teas. Every meal was delicious!

We also got massages at their spa, which was so comfortable and relaxing. The staff there was great as well!

Overall, we'd highly recommend this place...it was definitely the perfect honeymoon spot. It's a stunning location, the staff is amazing, the food is great! Loved staying here!

1  Thank Lillian C
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear Lillian C

Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your recent stay with us!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!