“Complete wonder...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Houston, Texas
“Complete wonder...”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a wonderful way to end my holiday. Having just spent 2 weeks traveling in India and Bhutan Cocoa Island was the perfect ending. the resort was 80% full and one would have never known. The bungalow over the ocean was charming...simple elegance. The food was fantastic as was the snorkeling, This was my 3rd time in a COMO resort ...they never disappoint....

The food was very pricy as was the mini bar. However, I think one expects such things.

Just one note...one is not allowed into enter he Maldives with liquor (duty free), religious statues etc...they will take items away and you may reclaim upon leaving...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lindasm1955
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear lindasm1955

Bonjour from festive Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that your return trip was relaxing.

It is such a joy to read you are enjoying your stays with each and every of our beautiful properties! Thank you for your patronage.

Our team wishes you and your love ones a wonderful festive season! I remain at your service anytime.
A très bientôt
Laurent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here in June 2013 and words cannot describe the beauty of the place. Villas were elegantly understated and fits right into the natural surroundings without appearing artificial. Nonetheless there were well appointed and very comfortable.

We stayed at the 1 bedroom villa and had a personal butler to assist with our request during our stay. From the time you step on the island to the time they wave you off at the airport, the staff paid attention to every detail to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

They had a small pool near the restaurant but that is mere decoration as you are mere steps away from their excellent house reef. While there was some bleaching most of the reefs were still intact (due to small number of guests on the island)

The sand bank at low time was fun. Extending almost 1.5km (by my poor estimate) out into the sea, it made an ideal place for our private sandbank dinner. While walking back to our villa after the dinner, we noticed the sand was GLOWING blue! Did a quick google search and found the sparkling sand was created by tiny bioluminescent sea creatures washed out on the shores.

While place had a gym, spa, yoga pavilion and other standard resort stuff, most of your time can still be occupied by simply exploring the island and interacting with the fauna there (Looking for sand crabs pretending to be hidden in the sand and tapping on their shells till they jump and scurry away or sneaking up after baby black tip reef sharks congregating on the shore. Their resident one legged bird is still there when I visited. These are the riches that Cocoa Island has and I hope still remain when I return to visit to truly special place!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lazy_tiger81
Dear lazy_tiger81

Greetings from sunny Cocoa!
Thanks a million for your wonderful review. I am ever so pleased to read all your very positive comments.

I truly look forward to welcoming you back on our beautiful island next year!

Our team wishes you and your love ones a wonderful festive season!
A très bientôt!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for a short week just before Christmas. It was wonderful. The island is beautiful, could not be more perfect, the finest sand and clearest light blue water I have ever seen. Fantastic accommodation, butler, manager, restaurant (food is excellent), spa etc. It was a unique experience and difficult to describe other than say it was perfect in all respects and I could not recommend it more. Service is great. The restaurant and food are really exceptional.

Of note as well, the snorkelling in the coral reef was a great experience, not to be missed. The fishing trip was a lot of fun too and they prepared the fish for us the next day over lunch. Spa treatments ( particularly the Ayurveda ones) were all excellent. And the yoga class in the afternoon was really good.
We will definitely go back.

1 Thank Cec55
Dear Cec55
Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your recent stay with us!

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.

Happy New Year to you and your love ones from our team at Cocoa Island by Como!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Beyond words. Cocoa Island is an experience. We went for our honeymoon, and the Island was near full occupancy. Yet we felt as though the island belonged to us alone. People continuously ask me, "Didn't you get bored?", and the only answer I could ever come up with was "You just don't understand." Waking up and walking out on the deck, soaking in the sunrise, stepping off the deck into the ocean and floating out to the reefs was such a great feeling. The word "relaxation" doesn't even fully explain how relaxing it is here. We snorkeled, we swam, we went on a sunset cruise and watched dolphins play, we went on a night time fishing trip, we ate OUTSTANDING food (although pricey), we got pampered at the spa (best massage I've ever received in my life), all in all we had a fantastic relaxing and fun vacation. If you have the cash, take the private sea plane in. It's the perfect way to arrive. We left in the boat, but the arrival by sea plane is the way to go if you can swing it. We even spent a day relaxing in the loft watching movies, which are available for free at the front desk. We had our food brought to the room that day as well. The service is super 5 star. I WILL be going back again. Loved it!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear PHIL S

Bonjour from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.

I cannot start to thank you enough for the wonderful review you have just written. Merci 1000 fois!!

All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como very soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I'm writing this on the last day of a 12-day stay at Cocoa. It has been a remarkable experience. There is little to add to other guest comments regarding the tranquil beauty of the location. A fast, 45-minute speedboat ride gets you to a whole other world.

But it's really the people of Cocoa who create and sustain the magic. From the gracious welcome of General Manager, Laurent Sola, to the staff in the dining room and bar, through to the houseboy who made sure my villa was in tip-top shape, everyone extended a warm and genuine caring. Take a moment to chat with them and you'll discover people from places like Sri Lanka, India, Bali, and Nepal, as well as native Maldivians. This is truly a rich and diverse experience - and yours to experience for the price of a smile and handshake.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with another reviewer's comments about the menu offerings. I found them to be both varied and excellent, and was intrigued to discover such local fare as Maldivian 'short eats'. The seafood is beyond fresh - which makes for excellent sushi. The pastry chef is a standout - the breakfast breads and pastries, and desserts, are first-rate. Unless you absolutely must have an Alain Ducasse gastronomic experience, you and you appetite will be perfectly sated.

A big thanks to Andrew Drummond, General Manager of Cocoa's sister island, Maalifushi where I was to go originally. For reasons beyond managements control, the resort was unable to open as scheduled. Andrew arranged for a seamless transfer to Cocoa, not only saving my vacation but introducing me to a place I had always wanted to come to.

Finally, a special mention to Darren and Abbo at the dive shop. I dove every day with them, including a night dive. Knowledgeable and safety conscious, they showed me an underwater world that beggared belief. I've dived many places around the world and finally made it the Maldives - it was like saving the best for last.

To everyone at Cocoa - thank you! And see you soon (after Maalifushi!)

Phil Shelby

Room Tip: All over the water so no bad rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank phildiver1
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Mr. Shelby
Bonjour from sunny Cocoa!

It has been a pleasure to have you us over the last two weeks and I am ever so glad to be reading your review today.
I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

I am also pleased you have enjoyed our various food and beverage offers as well as the tranquility of our beautiful island.

We will be here waiting for you return next year and surely hope you will have the chance to visit us for a few nights on your way to Maalifushi by COMO!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

It's hard to pick a resort in Maldives and I'm sure there are other great resorts with the mindblowing number of options. However I kept being drawn to Cocoa Island during my research and decided to bite the bullet.

From the moment we arrived at the airport, we were very well taken care of. We stayed in a loft suite, which was very modern, spacious and clean. Water and fruits were provided daily and rooms cleaned up twice.

Agree with a review which says that the island is blessed with a great geographical location. It is practically surrounded by reef and the lagoon reaches far out creating a huge area of the postcard blue waters. The snorkelling was great, we saw many fishes and other marine life. However I do have to say that while I'm not an expert in coral reefs, I think there is indeed coral bleaching of the reef.

We did a private sunset fishing trip as well which was fun and the chef did a good job with the fishes caught for our lunch the next day.

The COMO shambhala massage was pricey but extremely good.

Much has been said about the food and it is indeed true! The quality of the meals are fantastic. On one of the nights, we did not have dinner at the restaurant and they called to note that we had not dined there and to check that we were fine and did not require any food (as the restaurant was closing soon). Thoughtful gesture that impressed us very much.

The density of guests is low, we hardly saw other guests except at meal times. This was perfect, made us feel almost like we were on a private island and was the most important criteria in choosing Cocoa island initially.

Above all, it is truly the sincerity and thoughtfulness of the staff that is the icing on the cake. They are always ready with a smile and greeting. The restaurant staff particularly left an impression by always engaging us to ask how's our day etc.

Cocoa Island is definitely expensive, but you get what you pay for. We come away with our expectations exceeded and are glad that our first trip to Maldives was nothing but one of the best.

1 Thank bunnie83
Dear bunnie83
Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back home.

We are constantly looking for ways to enhance our guest experiences and your kind comments will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 7 nights on this beautiful island on our 10th anniversary. Though the island is small, it's self-contained and all facilities are at high standard. The staff are very friendly and served with heart. My husband was sick during the whole journey. When the manager got notice of it, he recommended him to try the ginger tea and kindly found us a cough syrup from the staff for free. It made us impressed very much for this offer.

Besides the wonderful beach and reef as mentioned by others, we both enjoyed the hydrotherapy pool much. It is a warm water semi-indoor pool with several kinds of water jet systems which could help relieving your muscles after the activities taken in the day time.

The food was great, too. It could be seen that the menu was designed to cater for guests from different countries. Although the prices are a bit high, the quality never disappoint you. We especially love the charcoal grilled lobster which could be shared by 2 person but just cost US$90. The breakfast menu is also great.

There are many kinds of fishes around the island. As the water surrounding the rooms is shallow with sand bottom, we could easily see groups of fishes swimming in the sea whenever we stepped out of the room. If you are brave enough, the sea cliff is not far away from your back door. You could see wonderful corals and thousands of fishes surrounding you simply by snorkeling along the cliff edge.

All in all, we had a wonderful and relaxing journey on this island. We highly recommend this resort to those who look for a quiet and relaxing holiday.

Just one minor suggestion, we saw some rubbish on the sand band during low tide. I know this is not uncommon on other islands in the Maldives which should be properly handled by the Government as a whole. We suggest you should send staff to clear the rubbish on the sand band more frequently to avoid affecting adversely the overall impression of the guests on the island.

3 Thank Hilman W
Dear Hilman W
Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us.

We are indeed very privileged to have been part of this wonderful occasion and are ready to celebrate many anniversary to come!

Your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence. I have well noted your comments concerning the cleanliness of our pristine beach and will ensure to constantly provide an immaculate site for our esteemed guests at all time. Thank you again for your patronage and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Congratulations again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!