“Perfect balance of luxury,comfort and a little adventure!”
Review of COMO Cocoa Island

COMO Cocoa Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
“Perfect balance of luxury,comfort and a little adventure!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Despite the fact that our stay was during the peak season and the resort was completely full, I did not feel overcrowded, and Cocoa Island indeed maintained its serene and peaceful atmosphere.

We were assigned to one of the resort’s loft villas, and the moment we stepped in it just took our breath away. This was straight from the pages of a Martha Stewart or one of those beautiful design and architecture magazines!! The villa was spacious and bright and it opens out onto a huge sun deck, complete with a double-sized sunbed, a nice wooden table with matching chairs and a stylish sunshade, and to top this off, the stunningly beautiful clear blue sea!

The bathroom was the size of a room. The interiors were immaculate and the Como Shambala bath products and amenities were just delightful! Apart from having the usual bath in the beautiful bathtub or in the separate shower area, you can also go for the outdoor open air shower area right outside. From here, you also have another set of steps (similar to those at the sundeck in front) leading directly to the sea below…..And yes!! You can see little fish swimming from here too!!

The tremendous amount of attention paid to all the tiny details is obvious here at Cocoa Island. The bed not only had crisp white sheets but they were so comfy they induced sleep -- every time I lay on the bed, I promptly went to sleep and I wasn't even really sleepy! The place was clean and flawlessly maintained.

To top it off, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Having found out that I was not a serious diver and had no intention to go scuba-diving with my other half and our 14 year old girl, they encouraged me to instead go snorkeling around the island. This was a whole new experience to me - a little adventure - and a much closer encounter with stunning mixes of colourful fish and corals that I normally see only in the aquarium. This was truly magical!

Another activity that I definitely recommend to all visiting Cocoa Island is the daily complimentary yoga class taking place at 4.30 pm. This is done at the open air Yoga Pavilion.

In terms of the F & B, there is one restaurant and one bar here, but the variety of the drinks and cocktails is just tremendous. The restaurant menu is big and offers a well balanced mixture of international as well as local and regional dishes to choose from. The room service menu is also pretty big with great variety. However, the best is the Bar-B-Q dinner. You cannot find any more fresh seafood than this!! The people sitting next to us were actually eating the fish they caught themselves earlier that day!!

We are definitely going back and in fact, cannot wait to get back to Cocoa Island again….Very soon that is!! Fingers crossed!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Pensupa G
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Pensupa G
“Merci 1000 fois” for the wonderful comments!!

I cannot start to thank you enough for the glowing review you have just written.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como in the near future.

Encore Merci!

Laurent Sola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It was simply fabulous. Absolutely understated perfection in every way.

This was our second visit, a year later, so we already had the highest expectations, which were fulfilled in every way.
Especially nice was that we were clearly recognized by everyone for being repeat guests.

Even though it is expensive, you get what you pay for and you want to come back for more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roundtheworld2009
Dear roundtheworld2009
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us.
It has been a pleasure having you back on our beautiful island and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

I remain at your service and I thank you again for your patronage at Cocoa Island by COMO.

Warm regards

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights in December 2013 and we felt it was enough before we moved to the next resort. We figured any time longer and it would’ve started getting a bit boring.

We’ve visited 5 resorts in the Maldives in the last 4 years and Cocoa Island is the only one I would categorize as a an “Extremely Quiet” boutique resort. If you’re looking for calm and serenity and a place to “find yourself” than this is the place for you. But if you’re after a lively, happening and active place then look elsewhere. This is not surprising since Cocoa is such a tiny island with only 33 rooms and one restaurant and bar.

Nevertheless, it is an amazing place. Amazing food (also healthy organic options available), spectacular house reef for snorkeling, beautiful beaches, stunning natural sandbar. We stayed in Loft Villa #802 and the sand in front of the villa was absolute powder. The softest sand I’ve experienced in the Maldives. It was comparable to White Sand Beach in Boracay Island, Philippines. I was hesitant to book a resort that doesn’t have private plunge pools in the over-water villas, but with such soft sand in a shallow lagoon like that there was no need for a plunge pool. In other resorts in the Maldives the sea bottom under the villas is usually rocky and thus not enjoyable to swim, hence the need for a private plunge pool in the over-water villas.

I should also mention that Cocoa is an eco-friendly resort…an interesting example; we requested a plastic bag for our laundry and were provided with paper bags instead, since they don’t keep plastic bags on the island, which is a good thing.

However, here are some areas for improvement…We noticed that not all waiters were knowledgeable about the menu being served and were confused when asked basic questions, so better training might be required. Also the Dive Center should offer double tank dives during a single trip…if I wanted to do two dives I had to do one in the morning, come back to the island, and then go out again in the afternoon to do another dive, which I found to be a hassle. In all the other resorts I visited I did two dives during a single trip. Double tank dives were done in the morning and single tank dives in the afternoons and nights.

Although spacious and beautiful I was surprised about some aspects of the room. For example, for a 5 star resort it was surprising to find split air-conditioning units in the rooms rather than a central system like other resorts. There were 3, one in the living room, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Also, it was the first resort I’ve visited were the bath tub did not have a view of the beautiful lagoon…But that’s a design/layout flaw.

Another point of advice, provide quests with two keys rather than only one. When I returned from my dive, I had to interrupt my wife’s spa treatment to get the room key. Also, place another TV in the bedroom of the loft villas…the TV is in the living room downstairs and a lot of people such as myself love to fall asleep watching TV. Also, no need for the extra $5 charge pp for room service especially when we are already being charged 18% in service charge and taxes.

A special thank you to Management for providing us with the room in the area we requested. We requested a room from 801 to 805 and we got #802. Another special thank you to the F&B Manager for the delicious cuisine and the wonderful surprise. Also, the bartender Phalita (I hope I got his name right!) was awesome perfecting our drinks just the way we liked them.

Even though we prefer a livelier resort, we still had an amazing time here. Cocoa is a beautiful island and I’m glad we made this choice.

Room Tip: I wouldn’t go with anything less than a Loft Villa or a One-Bedroom Villa. The outdoor deck is spaci...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bkazmawi
Dear bkazmawi
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

Thank you for taking the time and initiative to provide me with an account of your recent stay at Cocoa Island by Como and I am delighted I had the chance to speak to you a couple of days back on your various recommendations.

Whist I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the stay with us, I am disappointed that we have failed to carry out some simple yet extremely important requests.

I took note of your comments regarding the knowledge of our service team, the air conditioning in the room and the TV’s in the bedroom, the mornings 2 tank dive option and the amount of key set given upon check in.

Undeniably, it is our greatest desire to keep Cocoa Island as the choice resort in Maldives, hence the feedback and suggestions which you have provided, brought attention to the areas which we may have overlooked. I will be reviewing them with my team on how we could improve.

I certainly hope that Cocoa Island have contributed to some fond memories that you and family can hold dearly to and I thank you for your support of Cocoa Island.

Best Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Cocoa Island was magical. We honeymooned there for 4 nights in October 2011 we cannot wait to return again one day.
The island was beautiful with amazing sunrises and sunsets, pristine white sand and clear blue water. It amazed me how private it seemed as we only saw other guests during meal times.
The food was fantastic with an impressive variety of cuisines and all the staff were very warm, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear myty81
Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your recent stay with us!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como very soon!

Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

A beautiful island even by Maldivian standards ~ and the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen anywhere in the world. The sand is a beautiful shade of white and the lagoon was full of incredible fish and manta rays/lemon sharks and most can be seen just a few short strokes from the villas so no need to swim for miles to snorkel or go out by boat ~ it is all there just in front of you. We spent most of our time in the sea ~ it was incredible to see so many different types of fish.

For a honeymoon or a romantic break I doubt you could find a more delightful place, it has tranquility, privacy and beauty.

I would recommend this island for couples rather than families ~ I think the island naturally lends itself to the hopes and dreams of couples and not so much for young children. There are other islands with better facilities for children. It is very quiet, it is very peaceful ~ if you are looking for a spot to relax and be at peace than this is your place. The spa was very good, with kind and attentive therapists and overlooking the beach and sea. I will never quite forget the beauty of waking up and opening the curtains and have the most beautiful sparkling sea lapping at the window and the vast beauty of the sea all around me, sparkling in the sunshine with the fish swimming by.

If you want to fall in love, fall in love again, or fall in love with Maldives, then this is your place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Pyes
Dear Pyes
Greetings from beautiful Cocoa!
“Merci” for the kind words. It has been a real pleasure to have you with us and I am extremely happy to read your review today.
My team and I remain at your service at anytime and we all look forward to having you back on our magical island very soon!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Cocoa is a lovely resort, only 40 minutes by boat from Male airport. We stayed december 18th- january 1st, and the place didnt seem even remotely crowded, although we were assured the resort was booked to full capacity. The accomodations were fantastic, especially the one bedroom villas- very private, extremely spacious. I would recommend bringing some bonine or dramamine if you happen to be extremely prone to seasickness- when the seas get rough (which is uncommon), there is some (albeit virtually imperceptible) movement in the rooms. Service was world class, and it is clear that the manager Laurent strives to maintain this standard. The beaches were for the most part empty (a virtue), as they surround the sparsely populated island. The cuisine was sophisticated and delicious, and we consider ourselves to be discerning diners. Our personal attendant, Razeen was attentive, polite, and had a fantastic instinct for personal boundaries. Wonderful experience, we hope to return before the country is completely underwater!
JH+CR

Room Tip: 1001 was very private and spacious- possibly more so than other one bedroom villas.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jimmyh7
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear jimmyh7
Greetings from sunny Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that you had a safe and relaxing trip back to New York.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island. Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the service standards and the praise you are giving to our wonderful butler Razeen.

All your words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a wonderful way to end my holiday. Having just spent 2 weeks traveling in India and Bhutan Cocoa Island was the perfect ending. the resort was 80% full and one would have never known. The bungalow over the ocean was charming...simple elegance. The food was fantastic as was the snorkeling, This was my 3rd time in a COMO resort ...they never disappoint....

The food was very pricy as was the mini bar. However, I think one expects such things.

Just one note...one is not allowed into enter he Maldives with liquor (duty free), religious statues etc...they will take items away and you may reclaim upon leaving...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lindasm1955
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear lindasm1955

Bonjour from festive Cocoa! I hope this finds you well and that your return trip was relaxing.

It is such a joy to read you are enjoying your stays with each and every of our beautiful properties! Thank you for your patronage.

Our team wishes you and your love ones a wonderful festive season! I remain at your service anytime.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Naladhu Resort Maldives
Naladhu Resort Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!