“Paradise on earth”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cocoa Island
Mexico City, Mexico
“Paradise on earth”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Our visit to the Maldives represented the peak of our honeymoon and also our last destination that included a Hotel by Como, as expected our experience was incredible.
We knew beforehand that getting to the Maldives was going to be quite a challenge, so expect to be surprised by a super small airport that has no taxis, since the only way to get to this hotel ( or practically any other) is by taking a boat. To get to Coca Island this transforms in a surreal experience, you get greeted by a very friendly staff member that quickly hands you a bottle of water and a refreshing towel (with that signature Como smell) and guides you to your boat, then you take a confortable but intriguing 40 min ride to the island(in our case in the dark).
Once you get there you will not believe your eyes, you are received personally and are handed a fresh coconut so you can hydrate yourself after the trip, then the facilities are explained and finally you are walked to your room.
Cocoa Island is a small, intimate and private island that you can probably walk end to end in 30 to 40 min tops, the water are the clearest we have seen by far with a very populated marine life that will surprise you, watching fish, crabs sharks and countless species swim around the resort is amazing (don't worry there is a book in your room so you can identify them all).
In terms of service everything was excellent, we were approached by Gustini Kurniawaty (Executive Assistant Manager) whose intention was to make sure everything in our experience would exceed our expectations and in fact it did.
Our room was incredible (Dhoni Loft) very roomy and a superb view/access to the ocean. Since the hotel would borrow snorkeling equipment for free, this was a great activity to see all kind of marine life , so make sure you try it but make sure you wear the appropriate sun protecting equipment since the water is so calm and fresh and there is so many fish to see it is easy to forget that you have been swimming with your back exposed for a couple of hours resulting in a terrible sunburn.
This location is very romantic don't forget to watch the sunrise and the sunset they can be breathtaking and give you a surreal experience to share with your beloved one.

Room Tip: All rooms have access to the ocean however some are closer to the more "populated" side of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jose C
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Jose C
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!
I hope you had a safe journey back home. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and praise to our team.

We have been very honored to be part of your honeymoon celebration and I surely hope to see you back on our magical island.

Your Dhoni Loft will be ready alongside your favorite amenities to celebrate your first wedding anniversary next year!

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island very soon!

Laurent Sola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2014

When we started looking at the Maldives for our honeymoon a friend recommended we look at Cocoa Island. We were looking for a small island, overwater bungalows and a place that was a boat ride (instead of an airplane) away from Male. We just about fell in love with Cocoa Island from the website and reviews. Especially when the only negative review about Cocoa Island was that there wasn't much for kids to do, which made us think there was no kids club there (and there wasn't). I think that enticed us even more to stay for our honeymoon.

From the second you land in Male, you are a Cocoa Island guest. When you get to the island, you are immediately greeted personally by the manager, Laurent, and with a young thai coconut to drink! This really set the tone of the week we were in for.

We loved everything about Cocoa Island and it was perfect for us. There are 30 rooms on the island and there were many times we wouldn't encounter another person there and it felt like our own private island.

Accommodations - The Dhoni suite was huge (in comparison to what we're used to in NYC) and it was amazing to swim right off the back of the Dhoni and see sharks, stingrays, titan Triggerfish and the like. There's a great reef out back for snorkeling, just bring water shoes to avoid cutting your feet on all the corals out there. My only regret was not having an outdoor shower like some of the 1 bedroom suites but not sure that is the worth the upgrade!

Food - The food was 5 star all the way. My compliments to the chef! Every meal was truly delicious and we never knew what to order because there were so many things we wanted to eat. Healthy eating is important here and they have a spa menu daily with health options and raw vegan food just as good as the raw vegan food at the best places in NYC! The regular menu is also delicious and healthy and we opted for the full board and I'm glad we did. Kingfish and tuna were our favorite local fish and the seafood bbq was delicious. Once a week, a great band comes to play music during dinner, otherwise dinners are nice, romantic and quiet even though the dining room is usually full. The bar next door has a daily happy hour and the even have a vitamix to make you any concoction you want. We truly looked forward to every meal.

Service - was all around outstanding. You could be on a beach chair and within a few minutes, they come bring you bottled water. We loved our server at meals, Sumeda. He was very knowledgeable and recommended many Maldivian delicacies for us to try. The bartenders were great and housekeeping was fantastic. Really, everyone on the island was amazing to deal with.

Diving - Don't come to the Maldives without diving. Each island has so many coral reefs surrounding it that the diving was indescribable. We got certified on Cocoa Island as open water divers and we loved our diving instructor, Mickey but everyone in the Dive Center was absolutely lovely to work with. We did 6 dives in the week we were there and it was well worth it! Make sure you check out the Dive Center. Even if you don't dive, you should look into the water sports or equipment for snorkeling.

The small island feel was perfect and you really feel like everyone knows you and your name. I would highly recommend Cocoa Island and now will be checking out other Como hotels when we travel.

Room Tip: I thought all the Dhoni Suites had excellent views and sun proportions. The large private suites are...
2 Thank hls417
Dear hls417
Bonsoir from Cocoa Island!

A 1000’s thank you for this wonderful review! We have been very fortunate to have you with us and I am ever so pleased to read that you have enjoyed our beautiful island to great extend!
Our team will be thrilled to hear from you and we are all hoping to welcoming you back here very soon.
I hope this finds you well and that your return trip was relaxing. I remain at your service anytime.
Aelaide
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I travelled to Cocoa Island to celebrate our wedding anniversary and significant birthday for me. I have stayed at some remarkable places throughout my working life but they all fade after a week here. Everything went exactly as planned-from the moment we met the representative at Male international Airport there was nothing for us to do except indulge ourselves and be indulged. I am a harsh critic and I could find nothing that I didn't enjoy. The setting is beautiful and is in fact more special than the travel brochures and internet would have you believe. Our room (a Dhoni Suite) was the biggest hotel room I have stayed in,beautifully appointed, immaculately clean and luxurious-I can not see how as a couple you would want or need anything else. The water as we stepped from our back deck was crystal clear with abundant marine life and only a short swim to the main house reef which had to be seen to be believed. We started each day with a coffee (from our in room Nespresso machine that was refilled every time it was used) on the front deck as we watched the sunrise over the sea and island followed by a walk around the small island. Breakfast followed- a huge variety of fresh buffet and cooked to order food to satisfy every taste and appetite. I was concerned that eating 3 meals a day in one restaurant would become boring after 7 days-no risk of that. The dinner menu changed daily and there were special themed nights as well as the option to order anything you wanted ,anytime during your stay on the island if there was something that you really desired. The best part however was the service-by the end of the week we did not think of the staff as staff but rather as friends-we were interested and they were willing to share stories of their home islands and families with us and after the first day greeted us by name and with genuine interest. I will not name any particular staff member on this forum for fear of leaving one out but we have kept in contact with several since our return to Australia. It is not a cheap holiday option-even though we had paid for accommodation,breakfast and dinner daily it is easy to run up a large account by taking advantage of the activities offered (recommend the catamaran snorkelling as a highlight) but what is the cost of total relaxation. Not a place for very active children but as a romantic get away-perfect!!

4 Thank AussieMichaelAelaide
Dear AussieMichaelAelaide
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

Thank you for taking the time to share those wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. I am surely glad to hear your holiday was memorable and that each and every one of our team members meet your service expectations.

Undeniably, it is our greatest desire to keep Cocoa Island as the choice resort in Maldives, hence the wonderful feedback you have shared with us will be of great interest for our esteemed guests.

I certainly hope that Cocoa Island have contributed to some fond memories that we will be welcoming you back for your 51st birthday next year!:)

Warm regards

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2014

my wife, little boy and I had a fantastic time at cocoa island maldives. 6 days of fun spent swimming, snorkeliing, all striaght from the back of our suite! staff were great and the food healthy and tasty. hats off to the folks here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NDALGLIESH
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear NDALGLIESH
Thank you so much for your review.
I am glad you and your family enjoyed our beautiful island recently. I surely hope it won’t be long before we are welcoming you all back again.
sydney
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The beauty of this place is that it feels undiscovered. Perfect in every way. Amazing staff, luxurious and comfortable rooms, small and quiet. It is the desert island fantasy and the pictures say it all. Jump off your balcony and some of the best snorkeling I've ever done is a short swim away. Don't come here if you want a party but do if you want a rest, romance and some pampering. Only negative was a slightly scary boat road through a thunder storm in the dark to get there.

2 Thank Mike S
Laurent_Sola, General Manager at COMO Cocoa Island, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear cakesmith
Greetings from beautiful Cocoa!
“Merci” for the kind words. It has been a real pleasure to have you with us and I am extremely happy to read your review today.
I am sorry to hear about the weather conditions during your trip back to Male and surely hope we will be greeting you back on our island with our usual sun!
My team and I remain at your service at anytime and we all look forward to having you back on our magical island very soon!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Writing this review I can easily say that this was the best holiday I’ve ever had. If you’re hesitating about Cocoa Island I just have one piece of advice: GO! After we were picked up at Male Airport everything went super smooth. Cocoa Island was brilliant from start to finish, I can’t really imagine me and my wife would have had a better time anywhere else in Maldives.. Seeing as we’d never been to Maldives before, our tour operator (Simply Maldives holidays) were very helpful and recommended Cocoa Island. I loved the fact that it doesn’t feel like a mainstream resort, it’s more like a boutique hotel in a lagoon (exactly like our travel consultant described it!). Also, the resort staff made us feel like we were in our own home, we felt extremely welcome during the whole stay.

I don’t know what to say about our Loft Villa other than that it was amazing. There’s a huge stunning bathroom and the “bedroom” is in the loft. It’s easily the coolest room I’ve stayed in. We sat outside on our deck all day long, Cocoa Island has really set the bars high now as we wouldn’t consider staying in a hotel room that didn’t have such amazing views – the turquoise ocean was right below us and around us!! The food which we were really happy with (we didn’t have one meal that deserved less than 4 stars during our week) and the brilliant sunsets were other highlights, so I can really see why we saw so many honeymooners there..! Definitely honeymoon material. We’re not too keen on scuba diving to be honest... so we kept to snorkelling instead. But I should imagine the scuba diving is really good.

Mind you, this is NOT a holiday that comes for free (!) but I’d probably pay even more if I’d known how much we would like Cocoa Island. I sincerely hope I will be able to return since we had a fabulous time. (If I could give it ten stars I would)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JKarrington
Dear JKarrington
“Merci 1000 fois” for the wonderful comments!!

I cannot start to thank you enough for the wonderful review you have just written.

I am very glad to hear you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island and surely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back here sometime soon.
All your comments and words of encouragement will inspire us to continue our effort for service excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cocoa Island by Como this year!

Encore Merci!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 March 2014

pros:
- amazing island, beach & resort
- so kind, courteous & always smiling staff
- excellent cuisine/chef
- peace & serenity / no crowds, kids...
- free snorkelling & kayaking. house reef fair, but beautiful reef in nearby island
- we were allowed early check-in (10am) and late check-out (6pm)
- welcome champagne for honeymooners

disappointment:
- 5 days before the trip we got robbed & requested to cancel or postpone our booking until we replace our lost papers.
management did not accept even if we pay penalties: if we don't show up, we lose everything, although the hotel was not fully booked.

costs:
4000$ for 4 days (bed & breakfast),
600$ airport-resort-airport transfer for 2 in shared motorboat (hidden cost for us, we knew this after we booked)
meals: average 150$ for 2 excluding alcohol

overall: excellent

thanks to all the staff for the warm welcome & service.

4 Thank Nidal G
Dear Nidal G
Greetings from sunny Cocoa!

Thank you so much for the kind review you have just posted. I am ever so sorry you have faced difficulties before your day of departure.
I apologize if we were not able to alter our cancellation policy and truly hope you have enjoyed your holidays on our beautiful island.

I truly hope we will have the chance of welcoming you back at Cocoa Island by Como very soon.

Warm regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocoa Island
Naladhu Resort Maldives
Naladhu Resort Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
#1 of 1 in Dhigufinolhu Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,689 reviews

Been to COMO Cocoa Island? Share your experiences!