“Outstanding in every respect”
Review of Coco Bodu Hithi

Coco Bodu Hithi
London, UK
“Outstanding in every respect”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here in June/July 2014 for our 5-year wedding anniversary. I can't begin to oversell how amazing this place was.

We stayed in an Escape Water Villa, room 515, which was the very last villa at the end of the jetty. I think this may have been the best room on the island for location. Total privacy and probably the best snorkelling in the area from the bottom of the villa stairs.

The room: indigenous, muted, plus and luxurious with the most fabulous panoramic views of the Indian Ocean. Private terrace and infinity pool leading down the stairs to the ocean. Bliss!

The location: absolutely stunning. I can't overemphasise this. I have been to many tropical and beautiful places in my time but this takes the biscuit. Beautiful sandy beaches (and so quiet!), crystal clear waters, nothing around for miles. What more could you want?

The resort: perfect. Meandering pathways, sandy beaches, gorgeous pools and jetties, ocean views from everywhere,

The food: air restaurant is the buffet restaurant and the place for breakfast. This is he best buffet food I have had, with seemingly endless choice. I could have stayed for 2 weeks and not had the same meal twice. Stars restaurant is their fine-dining restaurant and was really lovely. Aqua restaurant is seafood, also delicious. Our best meal was a private pergola beach dinner, which was utterly romantic and delicious.

Things to do: snorkelling is absolutely stunning around here. We saw some amazing tropical fish and a shark. It is also a diving hotspot although I didn't try that. The resort has a dodgy snooker table and table tennis table, a tennis court, as well as board games at the bar but, frankly, we were happy just to relax and read and take it easy. There is also a gym although I didn't use that either.

The spa: amazing. The most fantastic location and lovely treatments. Just perfect.

Service: exceptional. Everyone was so friendly and genuinely so. I couldn't have asked for more.

The only very slight negative was, as some previous reviewers have mentioned, that ants were a problem. There were ants in the room/ terrace but, as far as I'm concerned, there's only so much the staff can do to get rid of them. The cleaning was of a high standard so I think the issue was the over-abundance of ants on they're island.

All in all, I can't recommend this place enough. It was simply stunning and the perfect holiday!

Room Tip: The Escape Water Villas are definitely the place to stay at- apparently more private than the more p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sassy1983

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed there for two nights during the first week of June .A forty-five minute speed boat ride from the Male' airport, on this Atoll lays a most sophisticated and luxurious resort.
Albeit I was there alone and traveling on business I found the resort to be exquisitely idyllic, elegant and most strategically situated where magnificent waters share those white sandy beaches.

I stayed in a deluxe over water bungalow with a private pool and all the amenities imaginable inclusive of an "quasi private butler". The resort boasts of elegance and special attention to each guest. The staff is in every way dedicated to assure that the guests are well comfortable and enjoy their stay. The choice of restaurants is superb as are the menus. Even though the resort can include full board ( all meals ) one can have an "a la carte" meal and whatever is not on the menu the chef will try to accommodate the request.

If seeking for buffet type of resort, this is not the resort of choice. Coco Bodu Hithi is a luxurious experience surrounded by opulence of its reef. In the quietness of the night one can hear the ocean waves playing a soft symphony as the ocean water slaps the shore. A most exclusive and pampered feeling. A must stay.

Coco Bodu Hithi....call me and I shall come !!!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe o/w Villa is a must stay. The villas in the 600's are the best.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Wow!

I am going to try and keep this as factual as possible so as to help you make a decision about whether to book but before that I should say that we had an AMAZING time. The Maldives is truly breath taking and is a real experience.

So a little about us, we are thirty something professionals living in London. This is out first trip to the Maldives. We would definitely come back to the Maldives and to Bodu Hithi again.

Rooms - We stayed in the island villas (as this was the last room left for our dates) and was blown away. The rooms look exactly as they do on their website. If you can, do a couple of nights in the water villas. We had a quick look at an escape villa and the views were incredible. 50% of the villas are on stilts. We stayed in room 317. In our view this was a great room as your beach front was well secluded and had nice sandy area.

Food - we stayed on a half board basis (breakfast and dinner). The main buffet restaurant is called AIR and was the best quality buffet food we have had. Lots of choice. There is a massive Chinese contingent so there is a lot of Asian food. We loved that but something to bear in mind if not a fan.

Gym - the most breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean.

Spa - we didn't leave the island until 8.30pm so we chilled out by the spa and again the views were epic.

Snorkelling - I think you see more fish if you are in the water villas but we nonetheless got to see reef sharks and sting rays.

Excursions - they are a bit too expensive and put us off taking any on. Maybe if they were better priced we would have done some excursions.

Drinks - drinks can be pricey but we spent £150 at the end of the week which included 3 bottles of wine etc. not bad for the week.

All in all we LOVED this place. It's hard to imagine a resort better. The island is very small and picture perfect. We would not hesitate in coming back.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank UKJAMA
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here for 10 days during July 2013 for our honeymoon. We spent 3 days in an Island Villa and 7 days in a Water Villa. We loved both. The Island Villas are spacious with a private plunge pool and direct access to the beach. The Water Villas are private, with superb views over the sea, and direct access to the excellent coral fields at your doorstep.

Food in the AIR buffet restaurant was delicious, with a wonderful spread of cuisines which changed on a daily basis. The STARS restaurant was empty the night we went there but the views and food made up for any lack of atmosphere.

Staff were always close by and available to meet your needs, without ever being intrusive. A credit to the resort.

You would find it hard to find a better place to snorkel or scuba dive. Reef sharks, Black Tips and White Tips are all easily spotted, as are Giant Eagle Rays and Turtles.

An amazing experience and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MacS14916
London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks, and were delighted to be told on arrival that we had been upgraded to an Escape Water Residence, with a sunset view (odd numbers), having booked an Escape Water Villa.

On arrival at the airport, we were greeted by a representative, who took our bags, although we had a wait while someone else on our flight arrived. We were then shown to the very smart speedboat, given water and cold towels and whisked off to the hotel.

5 minutes before arriving at the hotel, we knew we had found paradise when the boat captain suddenly cut the engine and pointed out to the side, where a pod of about 8 dolphins were playing around our boat. A total surprise, but one that is indicative of how rich the reef is in marine life.

On arriving at the jetty, we were greeted by a big team who took our bags and walked us to the room to check in, via all the main restaurants and bars, so we had an en-route orientation session.

It would be possible to wax lyrical for pages about the hotel, so I have tried to keep it brief, but it isn't easy with some many lovely things to mention!

Staff: Coco Bodu Hithi has by far and away the most friendly, helpful and accommodating staff of any hotel I've stayed in (and I've stayed in some wonderful hotels). They all had the right combination of being friendly without being over-familiar, and being helpful without being in the way.

Choosing between hotels was the hardest part for us when we booked this holiday, and one of the things that swung Coco Bodu for us were the positive reviews about the staff, and I want to second those. They were really a cut above.

Mohahmed in Air saved us a table overlooking the sea every morning and evening, and regaled by husband with stories of fishing trips, and is a total asset to the hotel.
The chef in Stars, Javinda, made us a small banquet of authentic Sri Lanken food one evening when we mentioned we liked it.
No request was too much, and the staff were so warm and enthusiastic, and genuinely enjoy their work which is a credit to the hotel management.

As other people have mentioned, the hotel is popular with Chinese couples, and the language and cultural barriers meant they didn't interact at all with the staff. This probably worked to our advantage, as the staff had more time to speak to us.

Food: We went half board, and a late breakfast plus early dinner meant we rarely needed lunch.
The buffets had more choice than we could possibly have imagined, especially at dinner where it was less of a buffet and almost a la carte, with lots of the main dishes cooked to order in front of you. On half the nights, we used the transferable dining credits at Aqua (sea food) and Stars (fine dining) where the chefs were happy to go 'off menu' cook us their personal favourite dishes, local specialities and anything that we asked for.
For lunch, the pool bar has a great menu, as does the 'street vendor' noodle guy.

Bar options are limited to the main pool bar or Stars bar, but that suited us fine. A bottle of wine watching the sunset (accompanied by lovely canapes) was a great wind down to the day and we didn't come here to party every night.

The room:
The Escape Water Residences are breathtaking in their size and location, and the walkway from the island to the villas was the perfect place to see rays, baby sharks, jack fish and parrot fish, while the reef directly below the villa had more fish than we could have hoped to see. We even had a heron that came to visit the pool in the afternoon!
The room is every bit as good as it looks in the pictures. Huge bed looking out to sea, lovely bathroom with big bottles of toiletries to save on waste plastic (great idea!) and two sinks. There was an additional seating area with tv and dining area, in addition to the huge decking area outside. Just magic, and most days, we didn't leave the room between breakfast and dinner!
The room was also totally spotless, and was cleaned twice a day to a very high standard.
We didn't see any of the other rooms, but given the standard of the residences, I would be happy to stay in any of the other room categories.

The island: The most stunning scenery you can imagine. Lush forests and palm trees give a huge feeling of privacy, with a plus side of providing habitats to little birds which were happy to be fed bits of bread after breakfast! The layout of restaurants and bars means that the island never felt claustrophobic, but everything was in easy reach (useful when it rained).

The rest:
The gym is small but adequate, with a great view over the reef from the treadmill - very inspiring. The spa was also lovely, and good value compared. It had won an award just before we got there, and the staff were all very proud of the achievement.
The main pool: fine for a backdrop to lunch, but it was swamped with Chinese couples doing photoshoots and/or wading around wearing life vests. We preferred sticking to our own pool in the villa.
We didn't try the watersports or diving, so can't comment on those, but we did a snorkeling trip and were the only people who could swim (and therefore weren't wearing life vests) so were left to do out own thing around the sand bank. This was a good thing, because we got away from the crowds to see turtles swimming past, who would have been scared off by a bigger group.

If you don't want to take the trip to the sandbank, the snorkeling at the edge of the reef had nearly as many fish and turtles, so I think I would be inclined to save the money. Evening fishing and morning fishing were great, even though we didn't catch a huge amount!

The downsides were tiny - reception was slow at getting back to us about trips and excursions and had to be chased a few times, and the restaurants got booked up days in advance, so we had to do a bit of forward planning for the meal options, but we had a chance to meet with the manager during a drinks reception, and put our comments to him directly, and he took them on board.

So in summary, this really is paradise. The small things, like the flexibility to eat off menu, are the 5* touch.

We booked this as a holiday of a lifetime, but will be doing everything in our power to come back, because it was pure bliss to be in such a beautiful place for 2 weeks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cat_Ar
GMBODUHITHI, Resident Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a beautiful review of your stay with us at Coco Bodu Hithi. We are thrilled that you choose us and enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Our associates is inspired to hear your encouraging feedback specially Mohamed and Chaminda and surely will motivate us to continue our effort to service excellence. We wish the memories of your trip remain with you forever and we certainly hope that you will visit us again in the future.

With best wishes from Coco Bodu Hithi.

London
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in an escape water villa for 2 weeks and it was absolutely amazing. I would recommend the escape water villas over the other villa types as the space you get is so much more. Having your own pool is wonderful. All staff at the hotel are great and will always go the extra mile. This place is a perfect place for a honeymoon. It's very relaxing and I would recommend the spa for the couples Maldivian experience and also the sandbank picnic. Unforgettable and I'd love to return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mich_cra_holidays
GMBODUHITHI, Resident Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of Coco Bodu Hithi. We are all very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time with us and do appreciate your feedback.

Please feel free to contact us when you wish to return. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This Island is beautiful, the scenery is out of this world. My wife and I arrived to what was the most amazing view, as we walked to our Escape Water Residence Villa we had to keep stopping to look at the beautiful fish, we saw a big Ray on the way to the Villa, and when you haven't seen one before, you are blown away.

We thought we were in heaven from the moment we got into our villa and had a nice bottle of prosecco on ice and it was straight into the pool. The villa was clean well maintained as it had just been painted. The cleaning staff were brilliant during our whole trip and we would like to extend our sincere thanks.

During our stay we did 2 scuba dives and would highly recommend the scuba staff. They made my nervous wife feel at ease and my wife really enjoyed the 2 dives and it is definitely something we would do again. The house reef is brilliant and if you are going to the island at least 1 dive is a must.

The food in the A la carte restaurants was very good and we went to these quite alot on the trip.

The Buffet restaurant. The food tends to be cold and is not of a high quality in my opinion, it might help if they turned the food heaters on under the food.

The Stars staff were brilliant. Raj and Ahmed made our stay truly special. Without these 2 outstanding staff this hotel would not be getting 3 stars. A special thanks to Ahmed for going the extra mile and actually making our trip special.

Now onto what let's this hotel down. The reception and reception staff are useless (sorry I know this is harsh). Trust me, if you call for anything, they will tell you they will call you back and then not bother. If you ask for anything, the answer is no. Not exactly what I would expect after spending 14,000 euros at this hotel.

We had 4 days of torrential rain, the hotel can't be blamed for this, but on one of the days we couldn't leave the room for more than 2 seconds without getting soaked and couldn't use the umbrellas as the wind was blowing a storm. We called the reception to see if we could get a buggy to take us to a restaurant, once again told no, use the umbrellas, we can't it's too windy. Can we get room service and use our credit due to not being able to leave our room, no. We walked to the restaurant and arrived looking like 2 drenched cats. This isn't 5 star service in my opinion.

We borrowed 2 DVD's from the hotel whilst we were there, neither worked, it was just amazing that we brought them back to reception and explained this and watched them put them back in the DVD case for another couple to be disappointed with.

Check out time. Another amazing job done by the reception staff. There were mistakes on the bill so we called to see if they could amend and send us the correct bill. We will call you back. They didn't call us back. We brought the mistakes up on our bill when we got to reception to check out and explained we'd called to explain this, no one had any knowledge of this of course. We then had to wait 15 mins whilst they checked.

We sorted out the bill amount and then went to pay with 2000 dollars cash. The hotel would not take dollars unless they had a certain american president on it, totally the most stupid thing i've ever heard, anyway we took 600 back and paid with a card.

This Hotel could be 5 stars but the reception staff let this hotel down big time. I know the hotel is probably going to reply with an email saying they have taken my feedback on board, but I've seen this feedback from a number of reviewers previously and nothing has changed.

This Island is beautiful but just be aware of reception and try and avoid them and you will have an amazing time.

Room Tip: The Residence is amazing, but any of the over water villas are brilliant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank David J
GMBODUHITHI, Resident Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback with us. We are happy that you shared your views with us as they are invaluable for us to provide better service. We would like to extend our apologies for your disappointment about the service shortcomings you encountered during your stay with us.

It is with our sincere regret to learn of the unsatisfactory aspects of your stay, especially with reception team and their service. This certainly does not reflect the regular services from our team which we are proud of. Your encouraging feedback on Riaj and Ahmed’s, performances been shared with them. We can assure you that the corrective action will be taken to prevent these issues from happening to future guest in the shortest time.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and will get another chance to experience our resort where we can prove to you that all your issues have been addressed.

Sincerely

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodu Hithi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,341 reviews

Been to Coco Bodu Hithi? Share your experiences!