“Simply beyond Compare!!”
Review of Coco Bodu Hithi

Coco Bodu Hithi
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for five nights during 2013 for our honeymoon and even before we arrived in Bodu Hithi the exceptional standard of service was evident. We were treated to complimentary arrival drink at the nearby restaurant whilst we waited for other passengers then a further complimentary soft drink whilst we were whisked away from the airport by speed boat to the island. As we passed the other islands of Maldives we felt as if we were in paradise

We stayed in an Escape Water Villa, which was about 2-3 villas in from the end of the jetty. The Escape Water Villas are further down the jetty and so one can enjoy a longer walk along the jetty. There is complete privacy and as the villa is quite a distance out in the sea, snorkelling in the area from the bottom of the villa stairs is exquisite

The room:
Absolutely superb. There is huge and comfortable double bed in a separate room. There is a separate living area and a huge double bath, with a separate shower and toilet area. The entire villa is luxurious without being over the top and the views of the Indian ocean are amazing from every angle. There is also a large TV (which really never got used) and a coffee machine which was a nice touch. Outside there is an area with sun loungers and a table and chairs. There is also an outside shower which is an excellent addition. Escape Water Villas also have an outdoor swimming pool which is a very good size (an infinity pool) and there are stairs that lead into the ocean. Snorkelling equipment can be hired. There are other amenities such as a safe, wardrobe, a music system and wicker beach bag!!

The location:
It is absolutely stunning. There are no words to describe this. Panoramic views of the Indian ocean, with superb white sandy beaches and blue turquoise waters. Even though the resort is full of people you never notice it. Everywhere is so peaceful

The resort:
The resort has one of the widest variety of activities. A full list used to be available on their website however a more condensed version now is. The full one is still available on arrival. We had a sunset cruise, spa treatments, jet skiing, snorkelling, diving, played tennis, watched a movie in an open air cinema, even did a spot of star gazing!! The place itself never feels crowded and the layout of the resort is impeccable with lovely shaded pathways and lush with plants and alot of greenery. The arrival jetty is long and inviting! There is a gym, a pool table and a foosball as well as a gift shop!

The food:
There were four places at which we ate. Air, Aqua, Latitude and Stars. There are two others Breeze and Tsuki (however we didn't go there) air restaurant is the buffet restaurant and the place for breakfast. Breakfast is the time when you get a sense of how populated the resort is as virtually everyone is there. Even with this however we never had an issue of being seated. The breakfast was absolutely superb, with eggs being made to order in restaurant. There is so much variety that you possibly couldn't eat it all!! In the evening the buffet is similar in that there is an endless choice with the quality of food being top notch. The Stars restaurant is their fine-dining restaurant and is situated next to their Escape water residences. The food again is impeccable as is the service. Aqua restaurant has the best variety for vegetarians and the whole team is so accommodating if there is anything you would like to change. If they are able to cook it they will!! The seafood is also delicious. Our best meal was the honeymoon dinner which was at Aqua. Eating outside whilst hearing the sea at night is nothing short of amazing.

The spa:
This place is superb, even if you are not taking any treatments which I highly recommend. There was a sauna, a steam room a cold plunge and a jacuzzi. There are outside beds with uninterrupted views of the ocean where you can just while the hours away!! The treatments themselves were unbelievable. I would highly recommend the shiro-dhara treatments.

Service:
There is only word for this and that is exceptional! Everyone is friendly and very helpful. I had an issue with a spa treatment and as a way of apologising was given a discount and a free spa treatment, without any argument whatsoever. The service right down to the cleaners is faultless. I couldn't have asked for more. Everyday you get a litre bottle of mineral water complimentary and every evening two smaller bottles of mineral water.

Overall:
This is a 5 star place and I wish I could rate it 10 out of 5. I have stayed in many other 5 star hotels, but this is now the benchmark! The price I paid for the kind of accommodation I was offered, the service I received and with the activities that were available to me made it really good value for money! There were no negatives from this resort at all and I wouldn't think of going to any of the other resorts now that I have been here. I wish I could have stayed longer. There aren't many resorts which offer an over-water villa/bungalow with a swimming pool and the ones that do were so much more expensive than this resort. Coco Bodu Hithi is the diamond in the crown of The Maldives and I would not recommend any other place to honeymoon or holiday in The Maldives

Room Tip: Escape water villas are the way to go, if within budget. The odd numbered villas may give you a view...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank KP_SP_Review

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for just under 2 weeks, as part of an incredible honeymoon.

We were greeted at the airport, taken straight to the speedboat and it was lovely to see many staff members lined up and ready to greet us when we arrived - a lovely touch.

We were excited by the Escape Water Residence and would definitely recommend this above all other villas on the island (it was certainly the most luxurious), especially as we were right at the end and on the sunset side, so weren't overlooked at all and it felt so private. The secluded terrace was lovely and the pool was great (although a little cold). We were close to the beach, although the sand is not soft and smooth as in some other Asian beach resorts we've been to, but there is a lot of broken coral so be careful when walking there. Yes, there are sandbags and whilst it doesn't look great when they're all green and slimy, we understand why it is necessary for conservation.

The restaurants were generally great. Stars was our favourite and Aqua was lovely too. It's good that the meal vouchers are included for these places in the half board option. We visited Tsuki once as part of our honeymoon meal and thought is was just nice, nothing special but good. However, there was a Welsh couple there who raved about it and we couldn't stop laughing as they were thanking the chef over and over again, so it obviously depends what your standards are and where you've eaten out before etc.

A few niggles that could be helpful to address or consider:

- The prices are plain ridiculous. Yes, I know we're on an island but it feels so cheeky of the hotel that they know you don't have another option, you can't exactly walk to another island for dinner, so they know they've got you and they'll charge you though the roof for it. We often shared a lunch as we refused to pay over US$20 for a small plate of cheap buffalo wings. Seriously, it's expensive.

- The cost of trips etc. also put us off - if the spa treatment costs were halved, we definitely would have considered it. Also $45 to go on a snorkeling trip?!?! We did this for free on our own a few times a day, straight off the terrace and saw more than we would have done diving! If their prices were reduced, they'd definitely get more people signing up. We're lucky that we got the sunset fishing trip included and also enjoyed the cinema under the stars one night where the staff brought over bean bags for us, which were so comfy... and we loved that these events were free!

- Tipping. Ugh. In England, I would only usually put down 10% for service charge, maybe more if something amazing happened. But here, you are expected to tip FOR EVERYTHING. We were quite embarrassed when we got there, as we only had US$2 on us but the guy who dropped off our bags literally stood there (without saying anything) and just waited... how uncomfortable! We gave him the $2 and I'm sure he won't have been happy with that, but to just stand there and expect a tip makes for very uncomfortable guests. Another day, we asked for the white covers to be put on the blue double sunlounger (as they should be on anyway according to the website photos) and thought that it seemed ridiculous to be paying for something that should be done as standard anyway... and then where does it stop?! Do you not put towels in the room, so people have to ask for some and then tip when they arrive? It can get ridiculous. We also ordered room service one day and left the tray outside our room when we finished but 5 hours later and it was still there. Now, I know that the housekeeping staff are walking past at all times, servicing different rooms and we even put it out onto the communal walkway so they would have seen it even from Stars restaurant... we think that they ignored it, hoping we'd phone up and would have to tip someone to take it away. In my opinion, this is unacceptable at a 5 star resort and I hope they enjoyed disposing all of the insects that would have been all over the plates after that amount of time.

- Latitude Bar: The 90s called... it wants its Phil Collins and Michael Bolton CDs back! Seriously, time has moved on from then, as has music... it is possible to find music that would create a chilled out mood when people are eating lunch, without the need for cheesy, romantic songs which are sooooo dated!

- In Aqua and Stars, we got extra things added to our bill... I hope this was a genuine mix up and not an intention to charge us for more, hoping we wouldn't notice and sign anyway, but do check every single bill you sign.

- There are a lot of Chinese people who visit this resort. Now, we're used to living in Asia but for anyone who isn't, I'm sure it can be an eye-opener. They won't line up when there's food involved, they can be loud and noisy, they'll always be on their phone and they'll ALWAYS have a camera out ready for their cheesy, staged photo shoots - you'll see many Chinese brides posing in their fake wedding dress too! Nothing can be done about this, but it's something to be aware of as they behave in such a different way to most other guests. They don't often go to the restaurants and will instead pile their plates high and push past everyone else at the buffet, so if you want to avoid this, try and book Aqua and Stars instead.

- The concrete bolders around the water villas mean that when the tide is high, the noise can be crazy... not peaceful like waves lapping against the shore, but a real clunking, smacking kind of noise and obviously the concrete is meant to offer more support but I really think they could have come up with a different way, even making them that bit higher or lower in order to avoid waves crashing over them. If the management don't know what I'm talking about, they should really go and listen at high tide and I think they'll be quite surprised with how loud it is.

These are only small niggles, but I always like to add things like this to a review, to help the management see things from a guest's point of view and consider things that they can improve, in order to remain the best choice of hotel in the Maldives!

I hope the management will pass on a special thanks to Hassan, who is awesome at breakfast and despite it always being so busy, he always seemed relaxed and efficient (as were all of the staff at breakfast) and they always made up a table for us and checked we had everything we needed. We also enjoyed the friendliness of Jobin at the Latitude bar who always had a big smile on his face and was happy to talk and assist. Also, Pothi who works in the Stars bar, who always stopped to talk to us every day about our snorkeling adventures and what we'd seen.
The staff here are really a credit to the resort - always friendly, saying ''good morning'' etc and listening to how they could help.

We keep looking back at our honeymoon photos and friends who we've shown them too can't believe the beauty of the place... it's truly amazing and I hope we will be back again one day!

Room Tip: The Escape Water Residence is the ONLY choice, if you can afford it! The sunset side is best in my...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank nipon4
Reviewed 21 August 2014

It is much better than photos and video! I wish to come back again! Everything was wonderful! Perfect for the couples, for honeymoons! Not much people around it is what I love! The best service, good food. Unforgettable vacation!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2014

It's more than one visit which i have made during this year to this stunning resort. It's like a Paradise on Earth. Wonderful sceneries from the white super clean beach sand , to the lovely waters and the coconut trees in the middle of the jungles..
Also the warm hospitality and the care shown by the staff to me and to my family and group accompanying are so evident.
I would definitely return back here again and again.
If you value the serenity of mother nature, then this is the place to be.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Beautiful setting, amazing accommodation and the staff were outstanding. They made our honeymoon truly unforgettable in every way. Watching a movie on the beach at night, kayaking round the island, the spa was one of the best I've been to as well. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We had an Island Villa and it was perfect. Very private and right on the beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edb102
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my third time at this excellent resort, within the the last two years.

The first time I took a group of 22 and this time a group of 9 people.

We all enjoyed our week of business/vacation mix.

Room services are exceptional, with various changes a day.

Numerous fishing/sailing trip proved to be very successful.

Overall, the services standards are above average, staff responds immediately to maintenance calls.

Above all, if you want privacy, this is the resort to come too.

Room Tip: go for the large Escape Water villas, in the end it is worth the money well spend.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was a great way to end our honeymoon. The Hotel as with most other hotels in the Maldives is on an island on its own, staff SUPER friendly and always willing to go the extra mile to help. You arrive by boat 20 minute ride as they did not offer sea planes (unfortunate but not the end of the world). We stayed at an Over the water villa with pool, and it was worth every dollar. The view is stunning, extremely private and very spacious.
We faced a few minor problems with the room on arrival but nothing that wasn't fixed and did not affect our stay.
Food is great, though not so much variety. We opted for the invilla BBQ for one of the nights, the food wasnt great but the experience was and the conversation with the local waiter was just as interesting. Be sure to start a conversation with the waiters as they are extremely friendly and add a local flavor to your vacation.
The "under the stars Cinema" was one of the highlights of the trip, no matter what the movie they are showing is it was a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ismail I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodu Hithi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Baros Island
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Coco Bodu Hithi? Share your experiences!