“Simply AMAZING!”
Review of Constance Moofushi

Constance Moofushi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moofushi Island
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We have traveled to many beautiful islands and this is the first time we have ever written a review. Since we rely so heavily on other people’s honest assessments of resorts, we thought it was important to give our feedback on the Constance Moofushi, especially since a trip to the Maldives is so expensive. Because we are not wealthy people and this trip was probably a “once in a lifetime” for us, we read hundreds of reviews trying to find the perfect resort. The Constance Moofushi was most definitely the perfect resort for us. Before you read this review, you should know that we are happy people who don’t have a lot to complain about in general. We can’t afford fancy vacations very often so when we do splurge, we go to enjoy the experience, not to find trivial things to complain about.

The beaches and the water were the most amazing we’ve experienced….white, powdery sand that almost blinded us when we weren’t wearing our sunglasses. And the best part was that the beaches were almost empty, even though the resort seemed full. We can’t begin to describe in words the colors of the water and couldn’t even read while sitting at the beach because we wanted to take it all in. Most people stayed by the pool, which was also nice but not nearly as incredible as the ocean! The water was crystal clear and a perfect temperature for swimming. The snorkeling was unreal. We stayed in an over the water bungalow and snorkeled mostly around our hut but the water was so clear that you could see the fish from the deck. Although we saw a baby black tip near our hut, most stay in one spot near the shore. They are not dangerous but are very entertaining to watch. Our last day we couldn’t be in the ocean because of an influx of jellyfish but that certainly isn’t the fault of the resort!

We loved the over the water bungalow. It’s small but private and comfortable and has everything you could need during your stay. They are more expensive but if you have never stayed over the water, it’s well worth the money.

The staff was great…very friendly and helpful and most spoke some English, which we thought was amazing.! We don’t like to have staff falling all over us on vacation and they seemed to know when to help out and when to give us space.

Although some people complained about the food in other reviews, we loved every meal and still talk about how much we enjoyed breakfast and dinner on the beach watching the fish. We have never taken advantage of all-inclusive packages but would definitely recommend it here. We are both pretty simple eaters and tend not to dine at 5 star restaurants but there was such a huge variety of food at the buffet, I can’t imagine that everyone can’t find something they like. One of our favorite things about being at the resort was that the dining was casual…so casual that after our first day, we didn’t even wear shoes to eat. There’s nothing like dining with your feet in the sand!

We would highly recommend the Constance Moofushi. In fact, we’re hoping that we can eventually return, that’s how much we loved it. After experiencing the resort, we’re not sure how anyone can have any complaints…you truly are in paradise. Actually, we do have one complaint…we don’t know how we’ll ever top this vacation. Every resort we look at now seems to pale in comparison. We are usually ready to come home by the end of our vacation but I wanted to cry as I boarded the air taxi to leave. The island is so beautiful that it takes your breath away. Thanks to everyone at the Constance Moofushi for an unforgettable experience!

A few tips, for those interested:
1. If you want to snorkel from your deck, request a bungalow further away from the beach. It’s a longer walk to the island but it’s the most beautiful stroll in the world!
2. We went in July and spent the month before the trip stressing about the weather. The summer months in the United States are the rainy season in the Maldives but it’s the only time we can travel. The weather reports online say that it’s rainy and cloudy every day but it’s not. We had cloudy weather our first 2 days but the sun was out for the remainder of the trip. There are random showers and storms that pass by but most are relatively quick.
3. The final air taxi leaves Male before sunset so unless you want to stay overnight in Male, be sure your flight lands in Male before sunset (which is fairly early during July). We loved the Maldivian Air Taxi flight but be sure to check the weight limit for luggage on the air taxi.
4. Don’t over-pack. You really don’t even need shoes. Be sure to bring everything you need (i.e. sunscreen, medications) as there is only a very small shop at the resort.
5. Invest in a waterproof camera….you’ll regret not having one to take pictures
of all the cool fish!
6. We figured out later during our stay that the pool bar serves lunch and it is included in the all-inclusive package. Great food!!
7. We worked with Justin Parkinson at Linara travel. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
8. Enjoy the time away from your cell phone! There is not a lot to do here except relax and enjoy the unbelievable views.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sunsetbeach70
Write a ReviewReviews (2,243)

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Upon arrival the check in staff had asked where we had visited before to which I informed her that our last trip was in October in Kanuhura, she immediately sang the praises about Constance and said that our stay certainly be of a higher level, I booked moofushi as it is ten places higher on tripadvisor and therefore expected it to at least be of a similar level, I paid a similar price for the two resorts although moofushi is all inc and had a special offer for April so prob better financially but I feel that the higher tripadvisor rating is completely unjustified based on our experiences and therefore feel that for the price we paid we received neither 5 star food or service, I would rate the food 4 star at the most and the service 3 star our Kanuhura esp was heaven compared to this holiday, welcomed as if we were royalty and surprised on many occasions rather than not at all.

I was very disappointed at the attitude and attentiveness of the staff in the alizee restaurant and the bars, there was rarely a welcome or service with a smile, I reward good service with a gratuity but this is the first time I have felt to tip so little, I can count on one hand the number of staff that provided the service that I expect from a resort that classes itself as a premium 5 star experience. The food was below standard certainly in comparison to other 5 or even 4 star hotels that I have visited, food was often cold/luke warm and quality of ingredients below par e.g. I have never known a restaurant to not use chicken breast for its chicken dishes, moofushi uses the cheaper thigh/leg meat for all of its curries/stir fries etc. on our first night myself and my wife finished our two glasses of wine at the blue lounge, our wine glasses were still there three days later until someone finally took them away, to us that is unacceptable. There was no beach staff to speak of and much of the furniture was dirty/stain's especially with pigeon excrement, even when I highlighted the problem to bar staff they just complained that the bar staff are expected to take care of it bur have their hands full. The problem was left unresolved, therefore much of the time we did not wish to lay on the sunbeds as the only spare ones were too dirty, when I enquired I was informed that the cushions are only washed monthly, other resorts I have visited do this daily or every couple of days and beach staff are plentiful. Overall if the resort situation hadn't been so beautiful I would have been extremely disappointed, on few occasions the food was quite good at Manta, I visited alizee twice; first time was ok but I was disappointed with the portion sizes or lack of supplements for larger steak sizes, the second time was a complete disaster, our service extremely tardy and when I informed the waiter that my steak was not hot he didn't care or apologise, when he bought the hot hand towels and I commented that they were warmer than our food he seemed to find it quite amusing, he bought over my ketchup after the third time of asking...when I had no food left to accompany it and our drinks took way too long to arrive and the other waiters were not concerned with our table. The Island is not well looked after; I often saw rubbish on the beach and even in the see and felt that some guests leave it as if the staff don't take pride in the island then why should they? I sat on my villa deck every day for a few hours when the fogging is supposed to happen daily and only witnessed it once in 10 days, as a result the sand was overrun with ants and cranes especially, myself and my wife had a number of bites during our 5 days in the beach villa which I had to request to be sprayed three times as it wasn't done properly. A number of other guests also complained to us about the same problem and also had seen no preventative measures on the Island.

When I complained about the insect issue and not seeing the fogging/spraying I don’t know if other guests complained as well but initially we were told that it was due to the season but after talking to the resident staff members’ they said it had been a problem for a very long time, yet after I seriously complained the Island must have been sprayed correctly as the last few days I saw very few insects, I have been to the Maldives before and have returned without a single bite or having to see/deal with so many insects, if the resort is trying to cut costs then this is certainly one area not to neglect, a true 5 star should have much better quality food ingredients (mainly meat as salad and fruit was often good), service/staff training certainly needs to be reviewed and the bars had often run out of various drinks/ingredients so need to be stocked far better, the staff in manta were great as were the food station chefs but for the so-called premium a la carte they were completely off the mark and need serious improvement as I would have paid to dine there in addition to the two vouchers we were given as part of the crystal package but felt that the manta service was better although the food was better in alizee but not worth me getting upset or agitated by dining there, the second night we visited alizee we were unable to dine on the beach as the staff could not be bothered to clean and reset a table that had already been vacated

Due to the reasons I stated above, I would return for the Island as it is definitely situated in one of the better parts of Maldives, absolutely beautiful or if they had a good offer on for the time of year I wished to visit but to be honest I am now very dubious about trying somewhere new and am more likely to return to a place I know offers the kind of stay that I wish to experience. I feel many of the guests have nothing to compare this place to which is why most go away happy, maybe if I had not have experienced other resorts I too may have been happy but unfortunately I can identify the shortcomings as I have outlined, the Caribbean offers this sort of lax service which is why I prefer the Maldives as it is beautiful and renowned for service which is why I am disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Jasveer K
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We have just returned from Constance moofushi, we spent a week there in a senior water villa (76). We had read and re read all the views on this resort as to make sure it was the one for us and although we had read some bad comments, the good seemed to override this by far. We booked direct through the hotel and to be honest this process did seem a bit hard work as we found there web site not all that! however after a lengthy call to head office we were given two email address to send our request to and was all plain sailing from there so would advise maybe a travel agents might of been better. We flew in from Singapore and was greeted by a happy gentleman from the hotel who took care of everything from there to the seaplane, his ability was first class and made a good start for us. We arrived at the seaplane hotel lounge and was greeted with cool towels and drinks, booked us in and we sat watching the planes come and go, we had about an hour wait which is not a problem as it was nice just too sit there and relax. The seaplane was a great experience, we had another drop off on the way to the resort so all in all about forty minutes. We were met at the jetty by friendly staff, cool bottle of water and were led to reception where we were met by another member of staff who was going to give us a tour of the resort, this is not to much of a problem as everything seemed to be on the way to our villa.

Ok the villa, we walked in and were stunned by how beautiful this was, we knew at that point the extra money spent to upgrade to this room was worth it! (or so we thought!) the view was stunning, it was very clean and spacious, i do not think the pictures do it justice, it was also very private as we were almost at the end of the walkway. The room is cleaned twice a day which to be honest is the first resort i have been too that does this, the mini bar is very well stocked and not with the chew stuff you find in other hotels, plenty of hangers, storage space etc, the rooms had slippers, flip flops, dressing gowns (4 in total, 2 thin 2 thicker) umbrella and all the amenities you require. however i know this may seem silly but an iron would of been nice but then they pushed the pressing service, laundry was around 6-8 dollars a shirt with same day service. So all in all the accommodation was perfect apart from a couple of silly nothings which i will list
1) beautiful sinks but a total waste of time as there are the most shallow things i have ever seen, i could get more water in an ashtray than the sink!!
2) this problem is directed at men! the lighting around the sink is dim (a woman would call it romantic!) so hence shave time was not a good time, i now know how stevie wonder shaves!! i came away from the said called romantic lighting looking like zorro had shaved me!!! so guys think in advance and do it in daylight!!
3)there are two life jackets in your room which is always good to know living above water and also very good for snorkeling, however although one fitted the wife well the other one i can only imagined was used for a small pet! now ok i am a big guy and by the time i had struggled into it and breathed in the attached the straps i was left with a very nice cleavage that even a woman would of been jealous of, needless to say i had to release that strap with caution not to have anyones eyes out and of course to breathe!!

So apart from them small things, perfect!!

We went and got our snorkeling gear from the beach which we were told was ours for the week which was good and went for a swim, this is where the maldives really comes to life, all i can say is fantastic and right on your doorstep. As we were getting ready to go out that night i thought a coffee would be nice and as the rooms have an expresso machines i thought i would try it out, broke! i called the reception about this and the machine was replace within fifteen minutes by another happy chap! At this point i will mention the staff, they are a credit to this resort,they work long hours are always happy and nothing is too much trouble, i would almost go as far as saying that they make the resort what it is. excellent!!.

So all is well on our first day until we go for the famous buffet!! where i can i start, it was a disgrace to the resort, i had morrocan meatballs the first night and i swear they were playing table tennis with them the next day!! awfull!! no taste, bland dried up food that i would not feed to my dog! however the wife went for the asian option which was better according to her! i thought that maybe as we were almost the last to dinner this might of been a one off! how wrong was i !! Breakfast was breakfast and was good even though the resort ran out of bacon!! plenty of choice though and was pleasant sitting there by the waters edge,good way to start the day. Now please take note, have lunch at the totem bar it was great and very pleasant surroundings, do try this as the staff our fantastic there and everything is cooked fresh for you. So the next night we arrived at dinner and on my wifes advise i went for the asian options at the buffet, i had rice with a beef in sauce! it was like eating a flip flop and after ten minutes of chewing realized that the dental bill to follow was not worth it so sat there and ate a bread roll and rice! Now i must point a couple of things out at this point, i have traveled all over the world and ate in some bad places! never in my life have i been to a five star resort had had such rubbish served up!! second i am a chef so i know my food, i can hear you all now saying oh yeh they are the worse critics on food! please do not think this, i am on holiday i do not want to think about food!! i called the waiter over one evening and told him to tell the chef one word "seasoning!'. On the third night i was talking to one of the chefs there and told him i was also a chef and where i worked! wow there attitude changed at that point! i honestly believed they are not happy there and was asked a few times in my company had jobs going! Now the famous sweets everyone has mentioned on here, they were truly remarkable and after meeting the pastry chef who is in charge of this area i now know why, he was passionate about what he does and deserves to be in a top establishment along side the best of them. ten out ten in this area! he even prepared me a sweet to show me what he could do! i must say thanks to this chef for holding up some standards in the kitchen.

So the week so far has been lazy, hot and about as good as it gets apart from the food!! it was my wires 40th birthday while we were there so we chose to east in the other restaurant as it was a special occasion, now i thought this must be better! no is the answer to that although i must say the bread rolls were nice! i would certainly not pay for this privilege!! we also booked the cinema on the beach for this evening and i have to admit it was fantastic laying there under the stars watching a movie while being tended too! its a must but i would make a small comment about this being they need a better choice of films to choose from.

So too sum it all up, this resort advertises itself as a 5 star resort and it truly would be if you never ate there!! the staff are fantastic and i mean that. the resort itself is perfect and run very well and nothing is too much trouble, now some would say the food is not everything and no its not but when you work it out: 1hr for breakfast 1.30hr for lunch and a evening meal to be enjoyed could be 3hrs with drinks and chat, thats almost 6 hrs of your time spent in a day!! we like to get dressed up and go for our evening meal at night and to feel like to are going out but not here! please consider this before spending your hard earn cash here! yes i know it sounds as if i am being hard but i truly am not this resort is a 5 star with 3 star at best food, average it out and its a 4 star which is such a shame as it deserves the 5 stars it has due to staff etc. Would we go back, yes if they shot the chef! feel free to email me if you have any questions, i can always send you photos etc if you need. I must say i did not go away from this resort disappointed and with regrets choosing this resort.

Room Tip: senior water villas, request even numbers unless you want to walk down onto sand at low tide! have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank MIXERMAN22
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had the most wonderful holiday on this magical island, we could not fault anything, it was just perfect . All the staff without exception could not do enough for us, Thankyou to you all for making it so special.and Kia for remembering to send the special bag!! It's a talking point round St. Albans .

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cstalbans
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for ten days at the beginning of June after several months of deliberating over which island to go to. We weren't disappointed!!

You're made to feel important from the moment you're met after collecting your bags at the airport until you step back on the seaplane to leave.
As soon as we cleared customs and found the island rep, we were shown straight to check in for our luggage and didn't see it again until we arrived in our room. The air conditioned minibus then took us to the relaxing air-conditioned sea plane lounge where refreshments were included and there was even a shower room. We had a 2 hour wait for the flight but this went quickly and included room check-in which saved time once we got to the island. They do require credit card details at this point, but only to cover any extras like boat trips etc should you wish to take these.
The seaplane is a great experience and a lovely way to see the islands. It is very hot though so change out of your jeans beforehand!

We were greeted upon arrival at the island by several smiling staff members, including the manager, with a cold towel and then a drink at reception while waiting to be shown to our room.
We had a quick island tour along the way but the island is so small this only took another few minutes.
We stayed in a senior water villa and were lucky enough to have the last one on the end. It was still only a 5 minute walk to the restaurant but we had uninterrupted views of the beautiful ocean and it felt very private.
The room is huge, tastefully decorated and kept very clean. The guys who make up the rooms do a fantastic job and refill the mini bar daily (sometimes twice). We found the mini bar very handy when we were getting ready for dinner and fancied a glass of wine or woke up thirsty in the night. The snacks (although unhealthy!) were also great if you couldn't be bothered to go down to lunch.
I'd requested a room that gets the sun all afternoon and this was perfect. There was a sunny spot on the decking all day from about 10am and plenty of shade for my husband.
It's so lovely just laying on the sunbed watching reef sharks, rays and an assortment of fish swimming past. Don't forget your sun cream. It was cloudy the first day but I still got burnt.
The outdoor bath is a nice touch and if you leave the lights on at night the fish are attracted to them.

We stayed in monsoon season so were a bit concerned before going but we needn't have worried. We had one day when it rained for most of the day but was always very warm. There were also some heavy showers for a few days but they generally only lasted half an hour and were a welcome relief from the heat.
It was quite noisy at night and the bed shook a little so take earplugs if you're a light sleeper!

The staff on this island are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Everywhere you go you're greeted with warm smiles and they really do seem genuine. We did tip but not until we had change after the first few days so this really didn't make a difference.
They all work very long hours and have to stay on the island for 3 months at a time so they deserve every penny. Especially as some nationalities think it's acceptable to be so rude to them.
Special thanks go to Adam, one of the waiters, who always took the time to chat and ask how our holiday was going. And also the very enthusiastic dessert chef who helped me put on 5lb over the ten days!! The food was very good and there was always plenty of choice. They catered for different nationalities at each meal time so you couldn't get bored.
We had 2 vouchers for the Alizee restaurant but only used one as the buffet was so nice. We had a romantic table on the beach at Alizee which was included so there is no need to pay extra to do this. It was more peaceful and intimate eating here but so was the deck at the Manta restaurant.
Wine is always served by the bottle and there are plenty to choose from, including cava and prosecco. The cocktails are very generous with the alcohol and their mojitos were delicious!
We sat on the sofas on the beach before dinner a couple of times, sipping cocktails and watching the sun go down. Pretty special.
Watching the night time fish feeding off the jetty is good fun. Some of the fish are huge!!
The included dolphin trip was a bit disappointing but again, they can't control nature.

If your budget will allow I'd definitely recommend a senior water villa. There's so much room and not many people walk past them. The rooms are equipped with pretty much everything you can think of (apart from an iron), including hair conditioner, bath robes & slippers and flip flops. They even have life jackets for when the water is choppy.
The tv and large movie selection were handy for when it rained and internet connection was even pretty good.
This is a very relaxed island. You can be as dressy or as casual as you like but I would recommend shoes for walking on the decking when it's hot or you'll burn your feet.

We had to check out at 12 but were told we could still have complementary soft drinks from the bar until we left and the air conditioned waiting lounge had soft drinks, coffee and sandwiches. There was also a free computer to check in online and print your boarding pass.

We've only been home a couple of weeks and are already having withdrawal symptoms! If you're considering this island just book it! You'll have an amazing time.

Room Tip: The end villas have an uninterrupted view and are more private.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dwalk33
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I can't say enough about this place. We went there for our 20th Wedding anniversary, having seen the idyllic brochure, knowing things are never quite so perfect when you get there. But no, this place is every bit as good as the hype and even better. And not crowded at all, in fact felt remote like a true dessert island, but with all the luxury you could wish for.

We stayed in a Senior Water Villa, which was heavenly. I loved the tranquility of the outside bath, and the lovely steps down to the crystal clear blue warm sea from our villa. The outdoor shower also perfect. Food good in the main restaurant, but even better on the special nights a la carte on the sand on private tables for two. Lunch time the favourite for us was the beach bar food and drinks. Snorkel trip amazing, feeling like something in a movie. Kayaking round the island also a must. Apple Mac free wifi and movies also great in your room. Couldn't ask for better drinks, with champagne, wine, cocktails, spirits, everything included. Genuinely left there with a zero bill for extras. Highly recommended, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any senior water villa is awesome .... And is what i recommend. But the beach front villas with thei...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheWorleys
Constance Moofu... M, General Manager at Constance Moofushi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Greetings from Constance Moofushi Maldives,

Thank you very much for your gracious comments and for this positive review.

We are most pleased to know that you have had a great time with us, and are looking forward to your return visit.

On behalf of the team at Constance Moofushi, I thank you again for the fantastic reveiw and positive comments, which I will be sure to share with them.

Best regards

Kai Hoffmeister

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We spent two amazing weeks at Moofushi at the end of May, beginning of June, and just wish we were still there !!! Everything about this resort has to be seen and experienced to be believed,it really is outstanding. From the choice of food, the vast wine list, the most friendly and beautiful staff, to the stunning fishes on the house reef, Moofushi is everything you ever hoped for and more. We have stayed in the Maldives twice before, but Moofushi really hits the spot !

We were upgraded to a water villa which was a lovely start to the holiday. The design of the villa, the furniture , the lighting, the bed linen, the entertainment system and a ultimately the fact that you are just a couple of steps from the crystal clear lagoon, made this very special. Our room boy Raooph was outstanding! We have never stayed in such a well maintained room, he did a fantastic job every day and nothing was too much trouble for him.

The food at the Manta Restaurant was excellent. The presence of head chef Stephen every night demonstrated to us the pride he takes in running such an excellent restaurant,and it was such a pleasure to speak to him every night at dinner. The 'Mad Morrocan' pastry and bread chef is one in a million and his desserts are seriously Michelin quality, just out of this world, and believe me you will never be allowed to leave the dessert station without at least four seperate desserts on your plate !!!!. We ate at Allize twice, and again the quality of the food was wonderful. Excellent steak, and sitting on the beach under the stars is an experience not to be missed.

There are two bars in the island , the manta bar and Totem. We spent more time in Totem as it was a stones throw from our water villa. The staff there are just lovely, and so friendly. We often had our lunch there as well, as it made a change from the buffet environment, and had a nice menu and lovely fruit smoothies as well. The Manta Bar is also excellent and having a DJ is a nice touch , but don't be alarmed , you aren't bombarded with loud rave music every night,, it's pretty low key , but enjoyable nonetheless. The Maldivian night on a Monday is a nice touch as well with staff playing traditional music and dancing, it's all good fun !

The only negative I have about Moofushi is the Spa. I paid for a facial which cost 139 USD. Whilst the treatment itself was very nice , and could not be faulted, the facilities at the spa itself do not warrant the price charged. To start off with, anyone can wander into to spa; my tranquility was ruined as I waited for my treatment, by a Korean family having a ridiculous amount of photographs taken on the jetty to the treatment rooms, and my refreshments at the end of the treatment were taken at the main desk at reception with two other couples standing around waiting for their treatments. Constance need to look at this, and the correct ambience needs to be created to make the experience more relaxing. This however is my only criticism . Moofushi is just stunning and if you are thinking about going just GO !!! you will not be disappointed. Hopefully we will be returning in the next year or so, but wish it was tomorrow !!!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in water villa 35 which is closer to the beach and the bars and restaurants
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Smiley_Happy_People

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you very much for the gracious comments and wonderful feedback about our staff, facilities and service.

We are pleased to know that you have had a memorable stay here in Constance Moofushi, and will be sharing your comments and praises especially with Chef Stephen, who will certainly appreciate them, as will the entire team.

I am sorry to hear that your Spa experience did not meet your expectations, and we are currently exploring opportunities to enhance the guests experience after the treatments, by creating small relaxation areas on the spa deck.Privacy in the Spa is striclty enforced, and only guests having reserved treatments are permitted to enter the Spa area.

I thank you again for your most valuable feedback and comments, and look forward to your return visit.

Best regards

#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Constance Halaveli
Constance Halaveli
#1 of 1 in Halaveli Island

Been to Constance Moofushi? Share your experiences!