“Perfect Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moofushi Island
Newcastle upon tyne
“Perfect Holiday”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This review is long overdue . We visited for this Island for the second time in April and I was amazed to find our experience even better than the first time. The island is beautiful and the snorkelling and diving great. The service provided by the staff is efficient friendly and understated... A couple of them even remembered us from our previous visit ! They do their upmost to ensure you have a truly enjoyable holiday . The food in Manta was excellent.... Lots of variety and all fresh all served with a good selection of wines. It has a relaxed feel from the moment you arrive and to us is the perfect holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Robinsontravellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Halesowen
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have been back home from Constance Moofushi, where we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, for more than a week and we are still pining every day to be back there. We could not fault the Constance Moofushi. It is a stunning paradise island, the food is varied and delicious, the wine list is incredible and the accommodation and facilities are first class. However, these things are only a small part of what goes to make a holiday at Constance Moofushi so unforgettable. It is the people of Constance Moofushi, every single member of staff who create an unbelievable experience for every one of their guests. I have never met such genuinely warm, friendly, helpful, generous and professional people before and don't know if I ever will again. I can't thank them enough for making our 25th wedding anniversary so very, very special and I would like to take this opportunity to single out a few of the staff members that we had particular pleasure in meeting and being looked after so well by.
Firstly Rahman who greeted us from the sea plane, gave us a tour of the island and showed us to our water villa. Rahman is a true gentleman who was always there to help and assist us in any way he could, and even several days into the holiday he remembered that it was the day of our anniversary and offered us his very best wishes.
Ishmail looked after our room superbly, cleaning and tidying twice a day; he also created a marvellous celebratory display on our bed on the night of our anniversary, together with sparkling wine, fruit and an anniversary cake, which was an amazing surprise to find when we returned to our water villa at the end of the night.
I would like to give special mentions to Azziz (I hope I have spelt that correctly) in the Manta bar and Avneed in the Manta restaurant whose ever present smiles were a constant joy; their service and professionalism exemplary.
I would like to give a very special mention to Adam in the Manta restaurant, another true gentleman who welcomed us with a smile at every meal and looked after us and everyone else like they were royalty. I can not say enough good things about Adam. On the last night of our holiday we found a nice table outside the Manta overlooking the water when Avneed approached us and for the first time during the 11 nights of our stay his smile was replaced with a serious look. He told us that we couldn't sit at that table, when we asked why he informed us that Adam had a different table for us. With slight reluctance we vacated the table and followed Avneed. We were left speechless when he showed us to the single candlelit, beautifully laid table set up in isolation on the beach, surrounded by lanterns and flaming torches that Adam had arranged for us. We have no idea what we had done to deserve this fantastic gesture, but it is just one example of the amazing efforts that the Constance people go to to make your holiday so memorable. When our sommelier for the evening came over to us he informed us that Rahul (who was serving in the Alizee that evening) had saved his last bottle of a marvellous Pinot Bianco for our last meal. We were completely overwhelmed by these amazing kindnesses.
I would like to thank the team in the Alizee who were brilliantly led by Shane (who we understood was shortly due to leave his post - I would recommend that Constance fight tooth and nail to keep him) Shane arranged the special 'moonlight dinner' package on the beach for us for our anniversary meal and it was a night we will never forget. He also arranged Cinefushi for us which we also thoroughly enjoyed. I would like to mention Nipal and Shifaz on Shane's team for their excellent, friendly service.
I would like to give a special mention to Nash - an excellent sommelier, a gentleman and genuinely nice guy. We put our complete trust in him and were never disappointed, we thoroughly enjoyed every one of his wine recommendations. Finally I would like to say an extra, extra special thank you to the sommelier Rahul. Again, all his recommendations were spot on and, as we showed a little interest in learning about wines and the work of the sommeliers, Rahul was happy to share with us his encyclopaedic knowledge with a passion and enthusiasm that was infectious. I would like to think that in Rahul we found not only a great sommelier but also, I hope, a friend.
I would also like to applaud the Constance group, which is something that seems to have been largely neglected in these reviews. We learned that they are not a big multinational but a family business founded and still based in Mauritius. They must be credited with fostering and presumably encouraging the incredible atmosphere that their staff, who seem to be happy and well treated, create. I will certainly not consider staying with any other company if we are ever lucky enough to holiday in the Indian Ocean area again. It struck me while we were there that the attitude inherent in the 5 star Constance Brand is the complete antithesis of the usual attitude encountered in so many - usually big chain hotels - that like to consider themselves 5 star: establishments whose staff are frequently found to be impersonal, snooty, arrogant and money grabbing- expecting large tips, for example, without ever feeling it necessary to offer the service to merit them (especially so, we have found in the USA). It makes such a refreshing change to experience how things should be done by visiting this Constance resort. They have set the bar so high that I don't know if we'll ever find anywhere else to match it. With almost 30 years experience of travelling and holidaying overseas, the Constance Moofushi is by far the best place we have ever stayed. To anyone reading these reviews who has not yet booked up I would urge you to do so; you will not be disappointed; it is worth every single penny.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room on the resort. All rooms have something different to offer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank philbertino
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here. The villas were beautiful. I had a water villa which was really nice and I went to view a beach villa which was also lovely. The food was good, I would have liked more a la carte options, 1 a la carte meal a week unless I wanted to pay for more. Something that stood out for me was the wine menu. Over 80 bottles of wine included. We got the bottle of wine on our table with dinner rather than glasses of cheap house wine like you often get in a all inclusive. They had a great choice of alcohol and non alcoholic cocktails.
The house reef is amazing, the snorkeling is out of this world. I would recommend their snorkeling trip.
Would love to return to this resort one day

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carly C
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

From the moment we left passport control on male island, the Moofushi staff were instantly in control and eager to see that our holiday was the best possible.
The senior villa was superb and the staff were always happy to help. The food in the Manta, was superb every day. The variety seemed endless, so much so, we never bothered to use our free meal in the Alize restaraunt as we liked the informality and friendliness of the Manta, where our waiter, Yaf, looked after us very, very we'll indeed. The overall feel and atmosphere of the island, is one of relaxation and we quickly dropped into the beautifully laid back pace. My wife and daughter went for a spa treatment and gave it a big 10 out of 10. We have just returned, having been for a week at the beginning of August, and the weather, considering it is supposed to be their wet season, was excellent.
One day, if we are lucky enough, we would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: We had Senior water villa 54. The views were amazing and the sun deck got the sun ALL day long. Snor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tony C
Brooklyn
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at constance moofushi for 6 days on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time although there were both pros and cons to our stay.
Pros
- we are a gay couple and were worried that we would feel uncomfortable with the maldives being a Muslim country. It was quite the opposite. As soon as we arrived we felt welcome and were treated just like any other honeymoon couple
- excellent food with a lot of variety at the buffet restaurant
- beautiful fish and snorkeling just outside our water villa
- selection of wines and cocktails
- variety of excursions. We went diving, fishing and even swam with whale sharks which was an incredible experience
- extremely friendly staff: everywhere we went the staff smiled and said hello. In the bar, Nassee was so sweet and friendly and made us feel special everytime we saw him
- fully stocked and replenished minibar meant we could have a beer or wine at night on our deck

Cons
- diving: although the quality of dive instructors and dive sites was high(special shout out to San who was fun and a great instructor to dive with) we were continually harassed about doing further certifications (e.g nitrox, adventure diver, etc) even though we said we didn't want to do them. It seemed this came from the course director, Miles, who only seemed concerned with his commission vs the overall dive experience.
- loud banging and drilling outside our room: we stayed in a water villa which should have been peaceful and tranquil. However, every day they were doing work on the walkway behind our villa. Obviously we understand that maintenance has to happen but it would have been nice if they could have spread the work around so that we didn't experience hammering every time we were in the villa. We spent a lot of money to experience tranquility and it was somewhat ruined by this
- rushed out of room by the cleaning crew: checkout time is noon which is pretty standard and we had no problem with this. At 11:58am we were packed up and ready to go but just wanted to take one last look at the ocean and check our room when our cleaner came and basically awkwardly stood outside our door staring at us as we checked the room.

Tip: we didn't know till we were about to get on the seaplane but apparently there is a building where you can shower and change if you have a later seaplane but have already checked out of your room. This would have been nice to know considering checkout was at noon and our seaplane was at 5:25pm.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Laura M
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Given the size of the bill at Constance Moofushi, it's worth going into some detail on why I think the place is amazing, and worth the price. And the 1 or 2 things that are not quite perfect, just to round it out. Overall: it was fantastic, and frequently I was found saying "this is just.....amazing." But, to break it down:

-- Rooms: we stayed in a Senior Water Villa, and it did seem easily worth the upgrade price from standard water or beach villas. First, the bathtub was great (it's outdoors, and easily accessible from the indoor bath area), and I think only the Senior villas have these. Second, there was a definite feeling of privacy way out in Villa 76 (one in from the end). Third, the staircase down into the water was spectacular, and the proximity to a great snorkeling reef was just hard to beat. Finally, the large deck off the room was nice for relaxing in the shade when the sun got too hot. So, big fan of the Senior Water Villas.
-- Food: the prices are all inclusive, and this includes most alcohol as well as 3 meals per day. In all honesty, the buffet food quality was above the usual of the high-end resorts (so, better than Raffles or Kempinski properties that I have stayed in over the past year or two). The ala carte restaurant, Alize, was nice as well (and had cool light-up menus), but in all honesty the buffet restaurant was better than expected. There was apparently a new chef -- some guests seemed to be having a conversation one night and he said he was on "day 17" -- so maybe this is a recent upgrade. But the only downside to the food is that I overate each day at breakfast and dinner, and consequently had to skip lunch to survive. It's buffet -- but again, higher quality than most and pretty good selection of options (if I'm looking to be critical, desserts were not the best facet)
-- There are 2 bars, from what I can tell, maybe 3 (there's a relaxation zone and I was never sure if it counted as a bar, although it seems one can get served drinks there). Nice servers, somewhat confusing drink options (I think everything is covered by the all-inclusive except certain premium bar brands, but it was hard to get a straight answer), deep bench of sweet island-style cocktail options. Only downside is that this seems to be where guests misbehave, in the sense of letting children kick sand at each other (and across guest seating) or playing music on their smartphones out loud, etc. Nothing King Street in Sydney style, just typical resort guests gone modestly rogue.
-- The setting is pretty spectacular. First time in the Maldives, and it took my breath away. Going down a ladder into the water, and being immediately surrounded by fish was something I will never forgot. The black-tipped reef sharks are moderately frightening at first (they are pretty small, but still unmistakeably Shark-y), but appear honestly harmless. Saw a manta ray, saw flocks of smaller fish, saw great stuff by the reef. And some birds were hanging out at the dock that was just outside our door. Water temp was great, clarity and color were hard to believe (the most common reaction to untouched photos was "is that an Instagram filter?")
-- There is a spa on property (U spa? something like that) that is among the best. You get massages while looking down into the water below, pricing was reasonable for this level of property, and massages were quite good.
-- Just a quick note that the staff in general -- housekeeping, front desk, restaurant staff, etc -- were all amazingly friendly and helpful. Some had interesting stories about how they came to the Maldives to work, some were less talkative, all seemed pretty competent and were nice to be around.

Probably forgot something, but my first reaction on needing to leave was "ok when could I conceivably come back?"

So, if I was looking to be completely objective, I would say the seaplane is a huge annoyance. Basically, your connecting flights and the Male airport are in the real world, where things run more or less on time. The hotel is focused on pretending it's in the real world, and will get you ready for the return trip well ahead of schedule. But the seaplane itself is on island time -- unexpected delays of (in our case) over 2 hrs, unexpected stops at other hotels to pick up or drop off, general feeling that noone is super concerned about you making your flight home. So, if I were to improve Constance Moofushi, I would have them alittle more involved in the seaplane -- more frequent updates on the timing, inviting us to lunch when waiting goes into the lunch hour, letting us know someone in Male is ready to help us make the connection (which was true, just unknown until we arrived). That would be the main suggestion, and the rest is hard to improve.

Room Tip: The Senior Water Villas seem worth the extra price -- spectacular. Note that some are a pretty far...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Skhyperion
Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I are just back from a 10 day all inclusive stay at the Constance Moofushi resort Maldives. This resort is excellent and the staff work really hard to ensure you have a memorable, enjoyable stay.

The food is of a high standard and the buffet is one of the tastiest we have ever tried - we especially enjoyed the Indian themed night with naan breads freshly made to order at one of the live stations.

Floating around the restaurants and on hand to help are the wine waiters. These guys are really knowledgable and passionate about wine having trained all over the world. There are so many different varieties to choose from - we tried a different bottle every night.

Drinks are all premium branded and the cocktail list is great.

We had a small wedding blessing during our stay on the beach. The wedding packages provided by Constance are expensive with the the standard packages starting around £1800. We made our own simplistic package using the dive centres photography service - all in all this worked out around £500. BTW the pics look great - thanks Ella from the dive school!

A massive thanks to Shane for acting as the priest for the day and an even bigger thank you to Shahab in the main bar for looking after us each night and spending the time making us feel so welcome. Shimal also did a great job keeping our water villa neat, tidy and well stocked with alcohol!

Thank you to the staff each night who allowed me to play football with them in the court - I had such a blast and what better way to work up an appetite!

Readers of this review you will have a great time trust me! This hotel is perfect - no need to look else where.

TOP TIPS - use a high sun screen at least factor 30 - you will still tan! The Maldives is close to the equator and very hot - we saw a few burnt guests (Mostly British)

Purchase some sea shoes to prevent injury when standing on sharp coral. Sports Direct have them for under £10.

Go Senior Water Villa if you can afford it - they also give you a complimentary IPod :-)

The review below this one talks negatively about the resort. While I sympathise with their rotten luck, I feel their review on the resort was a little harsh and more of a reflection on the terrible experience in reference to their flights home.

For 3 days during our 10 day stay the weather was poor and on one evening there was a storm. You have to remember that it's the Maldives wet season at the moment - the weather can be unpredictable. This must to have been one of the days the couple as mentioned attempted to travel home. The sea planes fly low around 3000 feet so bad weather will effect the schedule - this is something to remember or certainly consider when booking a Maldivian holiday during the wet season. On our day of departure the sea plane had a small technical fault which delayed us by 40 minutes - we were rushed through security at the other end and only just made our flight out of Male. This was the only unpleasant thing about our entire holiday.

Readers don't let that put you off just go - bad weather fronts usually clear up within the hour.

Quote my wife " isn't the water villa like living on top of an aquarium"

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Constance Halaveli
Constance Halaveli
#1 of 1 in Halaveli Island

Been to Constance Moofushi? Share your experiences!