All reviewslocal islandisland diversmaldivian experiencewhale sharksguest houserooms are cleanlong islanddiving triplobby arealocal divediving centerhigh servicelocal lifevarious activitieswarm hospitalitytaking picturesclose proximity
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Very clean, good food and nice staff. Was staying here while going out with the Maldives Whale Shark Research Program for studying Whale Sharks. Great area on Dhigurah close to the bikini beach and watersports.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank pmanning11
TME_RetreatsDhigurah, Owner at TME Retreats Dhigurah, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Dear pmanning11
Thank you for taking time and share your thoughts about your stay with us.
Good pointers to note too for any new visitors.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcome you again another time.

Cheers

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed at TME in August whilst volunteering with the MWSRP organisation carrying out whale shark conservation/research.

A great place to stay and gives a good sense of experiencing the local community. During my stay, Island Divers (associated to the hotel) put me through my PADI and gave me a good rate. A fantastic experience and one I won't forget in a hurry!

Not a place to stay if you are looking for a luxury escape, but the rooms are always kept clean, staff are all very friendly and the desserts on offer are something else! It was perfect for my stay there, no complaints at all!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Dear Dan L

Thank you for staying with us and for your very encouraging review. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Also thank you for sharing the photos.

We hope we will get a chance to see you again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed in the shared pool suite and had it all to ourselves. Staff are very accommodating and friendly and willing to help with everything they can. Food was good and accommodations had everything you need.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
TME_RetreatsDhigurah, Owner at TME Retreats Dhigurah, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Dear Bentley1977,

Thank you for your short and sweet review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to get a chance to welcome you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I had mixed feelings about writing a review of this hotel, only because I want to support average Maldivians running their own tourist accommodations, and I knew I cannot offer a good review. Finally I decided to write one only because the high reviews this hotel gets and some of claims made in those reviews may result in others' making the same wrong assumptions we made.

I will first admit that my wife and I are NOT truly local island hotel clients and we have been to at least a dozen 4 and 5 star resorts in the Maldives alone, so a Maldives 3-star local island hotel is not our cup of tea; but we have twice opted to stay on local islands there to first see the local life and second to dive with locals, thinking that it could be better or at least cheaper. In our last trip we had planned to go to three resorts, but my wife who was so bent of diving with manta rays and whale sharks and has not managed to do so at any of the previous trips/stays at resorts, wanted to try diving with the locals this time and asked that we stay at TME for six days before going to our planned resorts.

I will say in a nutshell that when/if every dollar counts, I can understand why you would want to stay here; you get a clean room, very polite staff and reliable people to go dive with. The dive shop is related to the hotel as well. However, the following assumptions we made based on reviews were wrong:

• That you pay less for the dives; my wife had 3 days of diving at the TME, 2 days at Angaga and 3 days at Mirihi and 1 day at Rangali; but in truth the cost of diving at Angaga and Mirihi were comparable to what she paid at TME; the difference was hardly noticeable.
• That you will have a better dive experience with the locals than with the European managed dive shops at the higher-end resorts; we found that was not the case. In fact, they all go to the same dives spots and accommodations of a resort dive shop are understandably better in some respects.

Additionally, I found the following issues problematic for me at the TME:

• Breakfast is truly Spartan: you get eggs, toast and juice and tea/coffee and that is it.
• WiFi is available at reception area only and if it has recently rained, you can expect to receive dozens of mosquito bites each hour you spend there to use WiFi.
• Lunch or dinner, especially in off season, is very limited. A seafood and rice serving may consist literally of 2 or 3 shrimp pieces and a bowl of rice with mixed veggies. Our grilled tuna dish offered a piece of tuna smaller than three fingers put together. My wife eats like a bird and even she was smirking at the size of meals we were served. As it was off season and the seas were rough, no whole fish was available at any price. There were no other food options on the island.
• We finally decided to cut our stay short and forego the remaining two days without even discussing the moneys we had paid for those days and went on to Angaga two days sooner because we could no longer take the combination of no WiFi in the room, mosquitoes and sub-standard food.

I should also mention that in our first trip to the Maldives several years ago, we stayed at the local island of Maafushi at a similar local owner hotel but that was a far better experience: decent breakfast, various local restaurants and very good hotel meals and in-room WiFi made it all a fair experience; Dhigurah was not anywhere near that. Again, if your budget allows you to spend $125 a day or less for hotel and meals, then this will do, but for another $100 a day, you could stay at a few four star resorts in the same general area with far superior and incomparable food and beaches and comparable diving experience.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank awayfromLA

Dear awayfromLA,

Greetings, and thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. We are sorry that we were not able meet your expectations.

Let us reiterate again, which we have so many times before, that one of the key attractions of staying on a local island is to experience the island life of Maldives and to see how locals live, meet and share stories. You also get to mingle with the staff and have a casual chat in the evenings with them if you feel like. You get to see the local schools, streets, cafes etc.,This is real Maldives. This is not for a luxury resort enthusiast and cannot expect a full resort services. This is a more affordable choice for staying and experiencing Maldives, both in accommodation and diving. It is factually incorrect to say that our prices are similar to that of a 5 star resort in Maldives.
Despite it seemed that Dhigurah is one of the worst places for you to stay, not a single complaint or concern was raised with our staff during your stay. Also would like to highlight that Island Divers, the dive school, is rated among the best dive school in Maldives with only local staff who provide unique local experience. The dive school team go the extra mile to ensure that you get to experience what you planned to do, specially swimming with whale sharks and mantas.

We hope you did enjoy the rest of your stay in the Maldives in your chosen resorts.

Best wishes

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Great place for scuba diving. Just got here. It is almost empty because of off season. But friendly staff and very cost effective. Landed on the island and went for a dive right away. Loved it. More dives planned for the next three days.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
TME_RetreatsDhigurah, Owner at TME Retreats Dhigurah, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Dear hassanrizwan

It is great to learn that you are enjoying your stay and diving with us. This is an affordable way to explore the best diving and snorkeling in Maldives. We hope that you had a great time for the rest of your stay.
Thank you for your review and look forward to see you another time here in this famous diving area of Maldives.

Best wishes,