Gangehi Island Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
  • Beachfront
Velidhu Island Resort(Velidhoo Island)
View Hotel
Madoogali Tourist Resort(Madoogali Island)
  • Beachfront
VOI Maayafushi Resort(Maayafushi Island)
W Maldives(Fesdhoo Island)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Aloha Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)
View Hotel
All reviewsmarine biologistoverwater villalunch and dinnerfishdiving centersea planeice creamour honeymoonitalian foodduring high tidea la carte restaurantfull board packagedeck chairssand bankhead chefegg stationper day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Amazing place. Great food, great service, incredible spa services. Lots of attention to details to make things effortless. Reef off shore is outstanding; only place I've had better snorkeling is Great Barrier Reef. Walk in, see turtles, sharks, the occasional manta, and tons of fish. Deluxe over water villas are like having the whole resort to yourself: private deck, swim from deck, great sunset views. Ayurvedic spa services were amazing.

Could have stayed twice as long!

Room Tip: Deluxe over water are worth the extra, but there are no bad rooms. All have beach access or water access. #43 is best room in resort; perfect sunset view from deck.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

How are you guys there? We have returned to Shanghai.

We was at Gangehi from 19 to 24 Nov for our first trip to Maldives. I travelled with my daughter and husband as a make up for our honeymoon:) What else I can say? It's a amazing place and everything is better than perfect!!!! All people are very friendly no metter the staff there but also the visitors. We stayed at Deluxe Water Villa for the whole holiday. I have to say it is a must!! We tried to booked ROOM 38 according from the previous review but we eventually got Room 44 which had been a little regret to us at the beginning. But it was only at the very beginning especially when we saw the magnificent sun rise on the second day. We just stepped out to our balcony and there was the unparalleled sea view. The sun rises at around 6:15 am. And on the third day, we saw the baby shark together with her mama. So it's nothing if you cannot get room 38. It's true that room 44 is close to the jetty. But I barely hear anything in the morning. Except the boat route is near the room 44, it is perfect!

In terms of the food, it's all Italian tastes. I like beef a lot. And the soup!! I love daily soup!!!! And the dessert killed me every day. The chef introduce every dish to you with a big smile for free :P What surprised me a lot was it seemed that all staff in kitchen and restaurant can speak a little Chinese which made us feel very friendly. I would like to thank the waiter that served us everyday(sorry I forgot to ask his name), his service was excellent. And there was a boy, the local staff waiter, he was excellent,too.

Yes I also got 2 friends through the "FASHION SHOW" night. It was my first experiense to be a model and it was a GGGREAAAAT fun!!!

At last I would say I and my family, we love this place. This trip leaves us a life time memories. Surely we will visit there again!

我们是11月19号到24号去的Gangehi。 那里一切都非常美好。食物都是意大利菜色,国人可能吃不惯,但是都还不错。早餐很好可以多吃点。那里房间里面每天提供一瓶五百毫升的矿泉水。 不够喝,我们每天另外还买3升水, BonAqua 3欧一瓶(1.5升)另加税和服务费。住宿方面我们订了豪华水上屋,房间我们一开始想订38号房间,但是最后我们拿到了44号。除了有一点靠近码头,他们接送客人的开船路线靠近我们房间之外,其他完全找不出其他缺点。房间非常大,床和枕头都很舒适,房间面朝东方。走去阳台就能欣赏无敌日出。第三天我们还看到小鲨鱼。非常可爱美好!水下都是美丽的珊瑚。还有很多鱼群。

那里的人都非常友好。无论是游客还是员工。我们没有发现那里意大利员工有什么不友善的行为,反而我们遇见的每个人都是那么热情可爱。真的! 岛上人很少,更别提国人,真正享受度假的感觉。除了饭点只外感觉好像看不到其他人。总之,那里完成了我对马尔代夫的每个一幻想。我爱Gangehi!!!!

Room Tip: I uploaded an island map for easy preference when choosing room. Room 42-45 close to te jetty. But it's nothing compared with the magnificent sun rise and sun set.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Veronica X
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We chose Gangehi as it seemed to have one of the best priced over the water luxury options in the Maldives. The downside for some is that it is a very barebones and simple boutique resort (no pool for example), but this suited us perfectly as it does not lend itself to families with kids.

For my wife and I the x-factor, which we didn't expect (especially given some of the past reviews), was the food. Matteo and Matteo truly blew us away with their daily creations, and especially the fish (again against some other reviewers' thoughts)...to put things into context, I grew up on the Mediterranean and my wife spent her childhood in the Caribbean...and we are foodies. I usually do not appreciate it when a chef over complicates fish, but I must admit that M&M's creations were wonderful.

The resort itself is quite far away from the airport island, but even then, it's only 20-25 minutes by sea plane. The snorkelling was probably not the greatest in the world, but was certainly good enough.

Room Tip: if you are booking a deluxe over the water, pick room 43 as it is the most private...room 42 isn't bad either.
2  Thank A K
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We travelled to Gangehi for our honeymoon, and it was everything we dreamed of!

We had an overwater deluxe villa which was worth the splurge for this special occasion. It was kept spotless by our lovely room attendant, who was unobtrusive, polite, and always accommodating. It was accessed by an overwater boardwalk from which fish could be seen and even the odd baby shark. Out the front our sun deck was such a lovely touch, and so amazing to walk down our private steps straight into the lagoon to be instantly surrounded by tropical fish.

The snorkelling straight off our room was great as was the suggested snorkelling routes marked by buoys. The house reef was amazing and had so many tropical fish, along with moray eels, turtles, anemones, reef sharks, and yes we found nemo many times!

We are also new scuba divers and found the team at Albatros Top Dive to be extremely helpful with safely progressing our guided dives with them to work up to some more challenging dive experiences while maintaining safety and having a good laugh along the way. The diving was amazing, an unforgettable experience to get up close and personal with everything from the inquisitive batfish who follow you around to the variety of reef sharks, turtles, eagle rays, and the graceful manta ray! The boat crew are wonderful, helping you from the moment you step onto the boat, getting your gear on, helping you jump, get back on and serving you up some fantastic sweet tea and coconut to replenish after the dive. Great crew.

The restaurant staff are lovely, attentive, and hard working! You have the same waiter for your whole stay, we stayed 10nights and our man was there breakfast, lunch and dinner every day we were there! The main restaurant is buffet, there is an a la carte restaurant also on Gangehi but we didn't feel the need to venture there as we loved the food on the buffet! It always contained a good mix of salads, vegetable dishes, meat and fish dishes, and then of course dessert! Loved the daily changing house made ice-cream. We particularly loved the 'Maldivian night' feast. We had a 'full-board' package, and found the cost of drinks to be reasonable, actually less than what we expected, with nice house wines, and a good selection of cocktails, spirits, and beers.

The island of Gangehi is perfectly situated on the edge of a channel making it fantastic for snorkelling and diving, with great drift dives. Also meaning it has deeper water on that side so larger marine life can be spotted. The island is small but never feels overcrowded. It is meticulously maintained by the grounds staff. The interior of the island is accessed by raised boardwalks leading you through the coconut palms, greenery, and gorgeous orchids growing in hanging gardens. The sand spit stretches out 300-400m making it a great walk out towards the sunset late in the afternoon and also the place to start a snorkel along the reef edge of the channel. At the base of the sand spit is the main beach where every room is allocated a set of sunlounges with umbrella.

Overall, we loved Gangehi, and would recommend it to anyone in need of a relaxing getaway with top snorkelling and diving. It is paradise :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BellaStook
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Gangehi Island is beautiful. Well maintained, elegant and efficient use of the space. Accommodation is good. Spacious and comfortable. Activities such as yoga, sea exercises, tour of the island and its flora and fauna were good. Not too many people and so it was never too crowded.

The Ginger Spa was fantastic and I pigged out on Thai Massages and Reflexology.

It is just a shame about the food. If you are a bit of a gourmand, don't come here. The all-in package is a buffet. The fact that it is run by two Italian chefs was enouraging - the Italians do great food, but these two don't. The pre prepared food looks appealing to the eye, but there it ends. The food is over salted, overcooked and mushy, except for the occasional "local" dish such as a curry and rice. There is a weird mixture of dishes. The island has wonderful fish - it is a shame that the chefs don't know what to do with it. The fish was like shoe leather as they cooked it for overlong hours before anyone came to the counter. Salads were uninspiring with shredded cabbage a speciality - yes, I do mean just plain shredded cabbage occasionally coloured by shredded carrot. Also occasionally you might get a delicious (sarcasm here) black eye bean mush to go with it. Actually, the cabbage was the best vegetable they had. Vegetables if there were any accompaniments are probably frozen for convenience, not for palate. Having explored Male, where the food comes from, there is plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables - there was no excuse for such a poor selection.

The choice of fruits as an option for breakfast, lunch and dinner was stunningly awful - over ripe papaya, pineapple and passion fruit. The same for every meal. Unattractively laid out. Breakfast was uninspiring and 2 star category - no-one knew how to cook eggs. Omelettes were swimming in oil. Very little choice of anything. Potatoes were cold, usually over salted and oily. If you have a heart condition - avoid it.

Desserts all looked good but tasted nothing like you expect - panacotta, crème brulee, mousse - the names sounded familiar, but the taste of all was of a consistently gluggy blancmange. The saving grace was the ice cream - it is superb.

I actually lost weight on holiday because the food was so bad. I have never been to a hotel where I have had such continually poor food. Ante pasta was popcorn and some pizza rubbish. What cook book were they reading?

The positive was that they had some half decent wines at reasonable prices.

8  Thank PlaneBee