“Nice hotel. Stunning location, great diving”

Medhufushi Island Resort
Leeds
“Nice hotel. Stunning location, great diving”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location is stunning, white sands and the clearest sea you have ever seen, it really was paradise and after looking a tonnes of other hotels we were very happy with our choice.

The island doesn't haven't a house reef but they do offer daily boat trips to different ones where you can snorkel AND you can see tonnes of good stuff in the shallows all along the beach and round the water villas. Every day we saw multiple reef sharks, and over the course of the week turtles and sting rays!

We were nervous about the diving school having read some reports, however if you go accepting its: pricey (remember this is paradise and they have a captive audience) and they split all the costs out which feels much worse than just hitting you with one cost - you won't be disappointed. Having dived all over the world I can honestly say this is the most professional outfit I have seen. Safety was paramount, they gave a very informative overview of the site before every dive, yes despite having +50 dives I couldn't go on the advanced one on my first dive there as they wanted to check out my competency BUT the dive I did was breathtakingly beautiful so you're not exactly missing out. All the diving was incredible, don't miss the manta trip! My partner completed his PADI out there with them, he took the theory in the UK and the team in resort were very helpful communicating with him on email beforehand.

We had a water villa which was beautiful, quiet and private. Only criticisms were there was no air con in the bathroom - boy was it hot! And the beds were firmer than we like.

Food was good and there was plenty of variety, main dining area is a huge hall which is set back from the beach, it's open air but pretty hot! We were nervous about food and drink cost in the MAldives but the hotel happily emailed us their menus with prices before we even booked and from our research they were very reasonable with no compromise on quality. We didn't go all inclusive as we don't drink a lot when it's hot, but the wine we bought and the branded beer we had was reasonable given the location. We had lunch every day at the bar which was great because it got you out the hot dining room and you ate sat over the water with stunning views. The bar choice for lunch was mixed some items like the salads were huge and exceptionally good value, sandwiches were decent and reasonably prices, however other items were a total rip off like $15 for one tomatoe with 3 half bits mozzarella! On the whole though we were happy. Waiters were all very friendly helpful but not always that attentive!

Having never been to the Maldives before it really did live up to our expectations, from the moment the sea plane landed it it just felt special and really did take your breath away. However Unless you dive (which we did) there was literally nothing to do and you don't even get the variety of eating in different places on a night. Other than baking in the sun ( I lovely heat but it was so oppressive I enjoyed the view from the shade a lot of the time) and chilling it's very limiting and at the end of the week we were ready to move on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beckie08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Cully, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Where can I start?

Before booking and going to Medhufushi, we read many reviews with great and not so great stories, so we didn’t really know what to expect.
As a summary I would say that I am sure that you can find a more beautiful and more luxury hotel in the Maldives, but you will also pay twice or three time the price. Medhufushi is an amazing place, a great 4 star hotel and you won’t be disappointed to go there.

In more details, we will try to share what we loved in that resort:

1. Water Villas
It was our dream to stay in an overwater room for our honeymoon and we were far from being disappointed. We first got a sunrise facing water villa and asked to be changed into a sunset one. The view is breathtaking, from morning to evening.
The room was perfectly clean, (With some ants at some points but we asked for a anti-ants spray that the staff brought us within the hour) with a king size bed, TV, huge bathroom with a bath and a big walk in shower. On the balcony there is a two-person swing chair and two sunbeds. From the balcony you have a direct access to the lagoon.

2. Food
We were on half board, which means that our breakfast and dinner were included. (no drinks)
The breakfast is a buffet with a large variety of fruits, cereals, pastries, bread, salads, eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausages or beans. You can also ask for an omelet with your choice of toppings.
For diner, you can chose from salads, pasta and every night different things for every taste. From sushi to curries or roast beef to fish and so on.
Drink wise, you are being given 2 bottles of water a day and the price of the drinks are pretty expensive so if you are planning on drinking a lot (alcohol) you should look into the all inclusive packages.

3. Wild life, Lagoon and Snorkeling
This was the most amazing. We saw so many animals during our trip.
In the lagoon (from the beach or around the water villas) we saw many kind of fish, many baby sharks, a couple of turtles and a lot of crabs. During the snorkeling trips (free and between 20-30 minutes boat ride to different coral reef every day) we saw some breathtaking underwater views. With again, some turtles, a 3 meters nurse shark, a massive stingray and beautiful fish.

4. Plane Transfer
When we arrived, we were supposed to be greeted by somebody from the hotel to guide us but nobody was waiting for us. After a quick look around we found an office from the hotel where somebody took care of checking us in for our seaplane transfer. After a short drive to the seaplane terminal, we waited there for about 2 hours (we had to wait for other passengers which flight was delayed) and finally got our plane. The flight wasn’t bumpy at all and even though the pilots are flying the plane bared feet (not usual), we always felt really safe and in good hands.

5. Staff
Everybody was really helpful and really smiley. From the waiters to the cleaners everybody was really friendly and always happy to help.
During our stay I had an ear inflammation and we were happily surprised that the resort even have a doctor on the island. He gave me some ear drops.

6. Weather
We could only go during the rain season (We went during the first week of July) and we didn’t know what to expect. We were happily surprised that we saw the rain only 1 day for less than 20 minutes.
There was a lot of wind coming in direction of the sunset water villas, so if you want to be a bit more sheltered from the wind you should go for a sunrise one or for the beach villas.

7. Water sport
We took a Kayak for an hour, which was a really pleasant ride in the lagoon. We also did the 40 minutes Jet Ski trip (184 USD for 2 people). We went to a neighbor’s desert island and we looked for wildlife in the different lagoons. We saw a couple of rays swimming around. That was a great trip. Not cheap but definitely worth it.

To finish, we would say that if we go back to the Maldives again, we would definitely consider going back to Medhufushi. I did a video of our trip so if you want to have an idea, you can have a look at that link:

Enjoy your trip

Room Tip: Water Villas
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michtrampo2013
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Fantastic place ! We stayed there for one week and I can say anything negative about it. Beautiful island, very nice bungalows ( clean, spacious, comfortable), wonderful beach all around the island. Great meals, very nice and helpful resort stuff.
There's only one thing they could change - prices in diving center. There's another diving center ( on island next to the Medhufushi) with prices 50% cheaper.
There's all what you need on the place to have a great time and it's impossible to be bored ( boat trips, snoorkeling, scuba diving, boat fishing, gym, billard, darts, surfing).

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Krzysztof K
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have to say I was a bit apprehensive about our recent holiday to Medhufushi given the mixed reviews I read on here!! Needless to say we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival!!

My husband and I booked the holiday as our first family vacation and took along our 8 month old baby. We booked a beach villa and went on half board (we stayed from 29 May - 6 June.

Leaving Dubai late on the 29th we arrived in Male the following morning. Immediately upon exiting the arrivals area a nice chap greeted us with a sign saying Medhufushi and promptly took us to the seaplane check in sorted our luggage and placed us on a bus to the seaplane departures ( a short journey across the runway!)
Then onto the sea plane where we were greeted by the barefoot pilots! We had brought ear defenders for our 8 month old (at grandmothers insistence!) and boy was that a good thing as the engines were LOUD - if you do bring a child please do invest in some ear defenders!! The journey was flawless, we dropped of some other passengers and then arrived at Medhufushi about 40 mins after initial take off - stunning views and the aircraft felt completely safe and secure and we even had infant seatbelts!
Upon arrival we were greeted by a lovely lady and given a refreshing drink and then told about the resort. Then off we went to our beach villa, I was expecting an ant invested nightmare! Not at all, large clean and spacious. The baby cot was in place together with a lovely mosquito net and welcome basket of fruit. As we had our baby I needed a container for sterilizing the bottles - I thought this was going to be a stress but within 10 minutes I was brought a large sterile bowl perfect for the bottles and told to keep it for the duration of our stay. Excellent service in my book! Then we went to explore the island - this is not a 5 star resort - for me 5 star is the Jumeirah Group hotels and resorts and this is not on a par with those, however, it is a lovely beachy rustic resort and it is paradise as long as you dont expect a One and Only Reethi Rah experience - my sister stayed there and said it was breathtaking in a clinically modern way. Medhufushie is not like that, its, as I said rustic but beautiful. I didn't see any sea weed and the ocean was startling blue like all the adverts!! We had cocktails on the over water bar and there are 2 happy hours and the prices are reasonable (as a resident in Dubai I actually thought the alcohol here was very cheap!). Our meals were served in the main restaurant which is an open air sand based area beside the pool. The food was plentiful, not fine dining, but edible and tasty and different on every night! We were served by a fabulous local called Mifthaan Ibrahim, you tend to have the same chap looking after you for every meal and we built up a good rapport with Mifthaan and he adored our baby daughter. We had a reserved table with a highchair in place every day and really cant fault the food or service. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the chefs accommodating with food to the extent they could be. Fab fresh live pasta station and the fruit table was epic!! My husband raved about the curries and the cooked breakfast every morning. We found half board sufficient as we were stuffed after breakfast and not hungry again until it was dinner time! By day we lounged by the stunning pool and my husband snorkeled and completed 2 dives with the diving school. He has snorkeled in a lot of places around the world and was simply amazed by the sea life around the resort given there is no house reef. He saw 3 giant turtles around the spa area and has said to recommend that area for snorkeling. The day trips are good too apparently and he saw a 2 metre shark! Im not a fan of the sea and was shocked when I was sitting in literally ankle deep water with my daughter on the shore to see a baby shark swim past and then do a few circles of us!! Incredible! Every evening from the beach hut we would walk down to the shore and see baby sharks! They are everywhere hunting the small fish - fabulous! Ellie also adored the hermit crabs scuttling about the beach! I also had a hot stone massage - definitely recommend it - reasonably priced and just fabulous! Another aspect I should point out are the ants - yes you do get some ants in the outdoor bathroom and it can be annoying but they are only there late at night and first thing in the morning and I just shooed them away and none of us were bitten the entire week by either an ant or a mosquito! The weather was perfect, a balmy 27 degrees with one rainstorm at night which we loved watching as we don't get much rain in the desert! The other holidaymakers were friendly and no one seemed annoyed that we had our baby with us (albeit she is very good and rarely cries just babbles happily!) - no other children there at all - mainly honeymooners and older couples. One criticism I did have was the bed in our villa - very cheap hard mattress!! I wasn't a fan! Seaplane home was uneventful and again very smooth and comfortable. Really all in all a very lovely place to stay and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone!!! The lack of internet access actually worked well for us as we switched off totally and relaxed without the need for emails and facebook!! Im trying to think of anything else to add - water villas looked amazing and there are a lot of them. My husband had no issue with currents when snorkeling. The staff did have good English and were all very nice and helpful. Almost forgot - we did the dolphin cruise and saw a serious about of dolphins! Jumping and prancing away - loved it!! In conclusion - book and enjoy! It really is good value for money and worth a visit!

Room Tip: Loved the beach villa
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank RachelVT2014
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Me and my wife went here for our honeymoon during the end of May. I had booked the resort at least 2 months earlier and hence got a brilliant deal, and turned out to be very cost effective. I had booked a half-board package, with breakfast and dinner. Here's my detailed experience:

As we were going on our honeymoon, the most important factor for us was swiftness of service and no surprises (rather, shocks!). We reached Male at 2:30 PM local time and the resort official was waiting for us outside the airport. He swiftly got our details, booked us a flight ticket on the TransMaldivian Air (TMA), and also helped me purchase a local cell phone connection. Per his recommendation, I took the Ooraango card, which I didn't have to regret - brilliant network at the resort.

The arrangements by the TMA were methodical, and without any hassles. Remember to take out your camera before you board, for they might take the hand baggage for storage in the rear stow. Flight took 45 minutes, including a drop off of other passengers at another resort. After reaching the resort, we were handed a info package, provided a quick island tour, and dropped off to our water villa. The resort was very clean, staff very professional, and the view from the water villa worth every penny!

Once at the resort, everything is cashless and you sign for all the expenses. I was initially wary of random charges to be included in the bill, but was glad to see that it was done professionally without any mistakes.

Few pointers and good things:
1. Book water villa - if you are in for a romantic holiday, water villa is a must! Rooms are big, spacious, and beautifully designed. Best part being the outside sitting space with direct access to the water. But be prepared for slightly longer walk to the restaurants, pool, etc.

2. Take the half board - Not because you can steal food during breakfast or have a very heavy one, but you can actually try some a la carte at the bar and spend a beautiful afternoon overlooking the ocean with some beer. Also, it will provide a slight change for your taste buds. Mind you though, the menu at the a la carte restaurant is not that big.

3. Dive center - The staff at the dive center is very professional. The lady over there told me NOT to do Scuba since I do not know how to swim, rather than just selling the service and blaming it on me. Also, the german instructor (male) was very helpful - he gave us good tips about snorkelling and provided me a heads up of how to do it.

4. Departure - Was professionally managed; based upon our flight times, they sent us detailed information at our door step, sent house-keeping to pick up our luggage and loaded on to the flight. Completely hassle free.

5. Go for sunset fishing - it's fun, staff is friendly, and even if you don't catch a fish the sunset is beautiful. We were served the fish we caught the very next day.

Areas of improvement:
1. Snorkeling -
Upfront disclosure: I do not know how to swim and am afraid of water, so this might be applicable only to folks similar to me.

I was reluctant to go for snorkeling, but my wife convinced me that with a life jacket I'll NEVER drown. With this, I rented a life jacket from the sports center. Now here's the problem: If you go to Andaman Islands (in India), the snorkeling instructors provide you free floats and float boards, and you just lie on top of them, while the instructor pulls you around. Once we reached the snorkeling point, I realized that I'm on my own! I held my wife and went toward the reef, after 20 odd feet some water entered my nose and I panicked. The life guard on the boat was watchful and he quickly came to the rescue (I had forewarned him before jumping in the water). However, I think they can provide a service for non-swimmers wherein we don't have to be on our own.

2. Buffet food - Although the spread is large, it doesn't change a lot and flavors on average are toward the bland side, I guess this suits the European / American taste buds. But there's still some area for improvement there.

3. Costs on the resort - The resort room costs are lesser, but I'm assuming they make the most of the revenue from the services and beverages. A pint of beer costs around $9 (way higher than the rates in USA), and cocktails around $17 - if you are heavy drinkers, then surely go for a complete package. Water sports also were a tad bit on the expensive side, the honeymoon package costed me $150.

Overall, go here if you are on a romantic vacation, don't want to do lot of activities (they cost a lot), and don't mind a slightly small island.

Room Tip: Book the water villa, no matter what. Also, select the one with the balcony facing west (sunset) sid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nikhil_K01
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

If I had a fiver for every time a Maldivian island was labelled 'paradise' I'd be able to buy one. Medhufushi is a nice resort, not the best of the five we've been to, but one which we thought we might like to go back to some time.
It's not a five star resort as such, although the staff are without a doubt among the best we have encountered anywhere in the world. It's flaws are generally of the natural variety - a narrow island set in a shallow lagoon, with dense beds of sharp weed and brittle, dead coral, which can be extremely windy on the north side.
Fortunately, we we were in a beach villa on the sheltered south side, between the jetties for one of the honeymoon villas and the spa. However, there was little in the way of beach directly opposite our villa and that was covered by the slight tide. The good part was that we had the best of the snorkelling, such as it was, without the need to go on the daily excursions.
The villas themselves were probably the most attractive we have stayed in, but might be in need of a little attention decor-wise. The little problems we had (leaks during heavy downpours) were dealt with swiftly and effectively, but we expected nothing else as throughout our 12-night stay the staff were first-class.
Food at the buffet restaurant was generally good, although my birthday treat in the a la carte over-the-water restaurant was disappointing, but perhaps we chose badly. The main issue seemed to be over the term 'all-inclusive' - for us that means all is inclusive, for island management it meant 'with limits'. Soft drinks and beers in the bar were okay, as were named spirits, but the rooms mini bar was off limits.
Overall it was good, very good ... Just not five-star good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank andrew-ormiston
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 10 nights on the half board plan for our babymoon. I am almost 6 months pregnant and this was an ideal babymoon. The island and resort are amazing!! Location is a 40 minute sea plane ride from the main city of Male. We had a water villa, which I higlhy recommend! Could not have asked for a more perfect and relaxing vacation, our best vacation ever!

The water villa is perfect size; a bedroom with large bathroom, bathroom has a nice tub and a seperate shower and water closet. Also double sinks and enough bath amenities: shampoo, conditioner bodywash, soap, lotion, cotton pads and swabs. Also nice comfy robes. We had one of the villas the furthest out on the sunset side, best views and nice breezes on this size. The further out your water villa is the more privacy and better sea life viweing you have. You have a nice deck with 2 sun loungers, an awesome swing and a table and chairs for eating meals, also your own staircase into the sea. My husband went swimming everyday right off our deck. I spent a lot of time in the swing reading and watching passing sea life. We saw: small reef sharks, sea turtles, yellow fin tuna, rays, skates and all sorts of other small beautiful fish swim past on a daily basis, it was like living in a marine sanctuary!! Great sunsets too! We saw the beach villas and they look nice too, for most privacy in a beach villa get one on the sunrise side, they are all set in the jungle with beach access, as are all the beach villas. Though swimming is better on the sunset side of the island in the beach villas.

With half board you get breakfast and dinner included in the island buffet restaurant (this is the only resort on the island by the way). The food was wonderful! A bit of everything is offered. After ten days we were not sick of the food since there was quite a variety of things to choose from. Always a salad bar, fresh pasta station, most nights a sushi and sashimi area, some sort of meats being carved, and always a nice bread and fruit station. Great desserts too! Everything from Sri Lankan and Indian cusinie to Mexican and italain and greek dishes. Lunch is offered in the buffet restaurant everday for $35 a person if you have half board. We did this once but realized it was cheaper to order room service or eat at the pool or a la carte restaurant or bar for lunch, nearly half the price1 Also it should be noted drinsk are not included in half board, not even water, which costs 4.19 a liter. 1 bottle of water is provided free in the room each day, but you will need to purchase at least 2-3 more bottles a day. Breakfast was wonderful! From fish porridge to an omelet station and fresh biscuits and jam! This was my favorite meal of the day. They do offer a fresh juice and milk for free in the morning at the breakfast buffet. They also have a expresso maker in the rooms, which my husband loved and he would just drink his coffee on the deck before we headed to breakfast.

The staff at the resort was wonderful. Housekeeping twice a day, our guy Shah was great. And our waiter Zareer was wonderful in the restaurant. The excursion staff is also great. The snorkeling right near the water villas is incredible but they also offer a free snorkeling trip every day except Wednesdays to off shore reefs. the reefs were great and had great corals and fish. We also did some paid excursions: sunset fishing and a dolphin watch which were well worth the money. My husband caught two nice fish on the trip and they have the chef cook them for you if you want and will get all your preferences for that, at no additional cost. We ate the fish the next night at dinner and it was delish!

Overall we had an amazing vacation, so relaxing and rejuvenating! The beach was lovely and we took beach walks around the island on a regular basis. Below I highlight some of the things that need a bit of improvement, but honestly cannot really complain, we loved Medhufushi and would return in a heartbeat!

Needs Improvement: Water, there should be at least 1 liter provided free each day to each guests in their rooms (meaning 2 bottles for a couple, etc) and also at least one liter of water should be included in the meal plan with each meal. Snorkeling equipment is very expensive to rent, it cost us $130 to rent a mask, snorkel and fins for both my husband and I for 1 week. Wish we had brought our own, lesson learned. Also my husband wanted to rent a stand up paddle board and the price was $30 for one hour! Needless to say we did not see the board rented out even once, they would do better to lower the price and guests would actually use them and they would make money on them. Wifi is very expensive as well, $100 for 7 days. This cost should be lowered. Also it can only be accessed in very few areas. We had to get it because of an urgent work issue that came up, otherwise we would not have even gotten it, since it is nice to be disconnected a bit. Dinner times are way to late, 7:30- 9:30 pm, they should definitely alter the times to 6:30-9:30, as for many 7:30 is late and by that time we were starving! And finally the air conditioner in our water villa took hours and hours to cool the room, they really need larger air conditioners for the size of the water villas to cool the rooms better. We tried to sleep with the doors wide open to the ocean, which was perfect our first night when it was really windy, but after that was too hot due to lack of a nice breeze on those nights.

All this being said if you are going to the Maldives and want to find a real paradise and get a water villa for a reasonable price, Medhufushi is the best! Comparable to other Maldives resorts with prices three to four times higher! We loved it and hope to return one day!

Room Tip: Get a water villa on the sunset side, great views and the best breezes! Also get one as far out as...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kelly123456

Been to Medhufushi Island Resort? Share your experiences!