I travelled to Velassaru with 36 of my family and friends to get married. I had first seen Velassaru on the day before it opened in March 2009 when scouting for a venue for the wedding. We fell instantly in love with the island but this trip for the actual wedding surpassed all of our expectations.
We stayed in a Water Villa (405) which was perfect. It is a very spacious, beautifully presented room with a private sun deck and private entrance to the beautiful water of the Indian Ocean. The room was exceptionally clean, the minibar well stocked and the service impecable. As we were in a wedding party, we had fresh flower displays on our bed every night which really made you feel like you were being treated with the personal touch.
The food here is amazing. Matthew, the head chef, has created perfectly balanced menus which all of our guests found to be wonderful. For the most part we ate in the Vela buffet restaurant which had such a wonderful selection that you can't fail to find plenty to eat every night. The live cooking stations proved a hit with our party and whatever you do try the soft shell crab - simply wonderful!! We also tried the speciality restaurants Sand and Etesian which were extremely good. I was particularly pleased to see that in Etesian, which is billed as a Mediterranean restaurant, there were not just Italian dishes - I had a delicious lamb tadjine from North Africa. Our guests who ate at the Teppenyaki Hut over the water also reported back that it was a perfect meal in a perfect setting.
The Aquum Spa is the perfect place to relax on your trip to Velassaru. We went 3 times in our 7 day stay and each time we were delighted with the service. The Spa is beautiful, built on stilts over the water with an outside jacuzzi and relaxation area. All the masseurs are true professionals, giving the most wonderful, relaxing massage tailored to your own specifications. Also try the yoga first thing in the morning and get a facial to really treat yourself!!
The staff at Velassaru are first class. Our whole trip was planned by the Rooms Division Manager Marge Cacacha who was so friendly and accommodating for the whole year long build up to our trip and the 7 days of our visit. Nothing was too much trouble and our every need was met. All of the staff are excellent, from the cleaning staff to the guys in the bars and restaurants right the way up to the chef and managers - if you need it, they will fix it!!
The island itself is paradise. White sandy beaches, turquoise waters, beautiful sunsets and lush green vegetation. At some times during our stay you can find yourself completely alone on one of the beaches enjoying the solitude and the beauty of your surroundings. The widlife too is truly fantastic! We had a huge manta ray sleeping under our water villa at night - he was a pleasure to watch! The baby sharks and wonderful array of colourful tropical fish are a delight but the highlight has to be the huge bat who managed to get into some of our wedding photos!!
As for the wedding itself, it was the first big event that Velassaru had catered for and I would recommend this resort to anyone who wanted to do something similar. We used the boardwalk from the water villas as our aisle and got married in a specially set up area on the beach. The staff had set up an archway, torches in the sand, planted flowers on the beach and had even drawn a big heart in the sand in which we stood to get married. It was perfect. We went to Velassaru with a specific idea in mind for our sit down meal after the ceremony. All this changed when we met with Chef Matt and Marge whose vision ensured that we got the best wedding reception in the perfect location with food to die for. It was perfect.
To summarise, we went to Velassaru for a large scale event and it really was a dream wedding. I would recommend this resort to everyone, however. It can cater for couple looking for relaxation, groups of friends looking to do watersports or, like us, a large scale event. If you are wondering whether to go to Velassaru, please go, it is fabulous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Undressed. Gentle sands leading you to the water's edge. Soothing vistas across the spectacular turquoise lagoon at sunset. Minimalist contemporary chic meets comfortable natural elegance in your own private hideaway. Five dining venues, each providing a taste of the exotic. Two innovative bars, the ultimate chill-out. Experiences that immerse you in local culture, underwater explorations that introduce you to our tropical marine world. Days and nights of simple indulgence. Step into the unknown. Welcome to Velassaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Destinology, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Velassaru Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Velassaru Maldives Hotel South Male Atoll
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Male
- Velassaru Maldives Laguna Beach Hotel