“Overwater Bungalow- Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hadahaa Island
Hong Kong, China
“Overwater Bungalow- Disappointing”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in May.
Paid: US$1295+ 18% service charge/ tax for pool villa for our first night & $1615+18% for over water villa for 2 nights.

An expensive hotel that comes with certain expectation of Park Hyatt's luxury standard and was disappointed.

Pros
- Situated in an isolated area of Maldives which kept mass tourism away. You often feel like you were the ones at the resort.
- Amazing house reef and beautiful island
- Nice Pool
- Able to check in early
- Abundance of wildlife.

Cons
- Overwater Villa- it was so HOT day and night. The air con could not cope and it was difficult to stay in the room from midday to almost sunset despite all blinds were down. At night, it was difficult to sleep. I understand this is a common problem with all over water villas and engineers did try and fix it (clean the filters). The overwater bungalow itself was run down and the roller door blinds were stuck/ stained/ damaged. This is not the quality standard I would expect from a US$1615++/ night room.
- Service was poor. I could never find someone for a pool towel. Non existent pro-active pool service.
- Food at Island Grill was extremely poor and was surprised Park Hyatt would serve such low quality standard of food. It was a complete rip off for the price they charge for both a la carte and buffet.
- Unreliable snail pace internet wifi

This hotel is situated on a beautiful island with an unbeatable house reef. However, it needs to drastically improve its resort services, food quality and room quality standard.

Room Tip: Don't expect amazing food at Island Grill.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank jcjchung
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this review, 15 October 2014
Dear Jcjchung,

I have been travelling for some time and I apologise for the lateness fo my reply.

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your time here on Hadahaa. While I am glad there were positives I am, of course, very disappointed that your expectations were not met.

It is these comments which allow us to rectify situations so they are not felt again and we progressively monitor our team and retrain to elevate standards provide an improved guest experience.

I am sorry that you found our Food & Beverage offering to be below your expectations and I have discussed your quality concerns with our new executive chef who joined the resort recently. With regard to pricing, our property has positioned its food and beverage offering in line with properties of an equal standard in our location but I acknowledge that pricing is indeed higher than in a city. This is due to the additional costs involved in transporting the items to our local environment as there is a limited quantity of domestic agriculture of the quality required for a hotel of our level.

Thank you once again for your feeddback and comments.

Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights. This was our second visit to the Maldives. Although this was a very short visit, it was a very memorable one. We have been to a lot of snorkeling spots and this is one of the best we've been to (2nd best actually, our best spot was an island, not a resort, in Papua New Guinea). But as a resort, this is the best. Much better than the comparable resorts in the Caribbean, Bora Bora, Great Barrier Reef, etc.

Besides being a very beautiful spot, this resort has a great staff that made a huge improvement to our experience.

We stayed in villa 51, the best and most private Park Water Villa in the resort. It makes a huge difference when you are right above the coral reef! My wife is not a snorkeler but she still enjoyed watching the fish from the villa. They have an outdoor double bed outside the villa. We had 2 nights with clear sky and we stayed outside lying down watching the night sky. There were a bunch of shooting stars on the second night because it was the meteor shower season. That was a great treat for us. Staying outside in the middle of the water was great. No mosquitoes or bugs. The temperature was perfect.

We had to check out at noon on the day of departure because their Park Water Villas are always fully booked. They were so kind to move us to a Park Villa so we had a place to stay until 6pm when they sent us to the ferry leaving the island. After seeing the Park Villa, I would definitely book the Park Water Villa in our future stays because there is no comparison! For a few hundred dollars more, the Park Water Villa is clearly a better choice!

We actually regretted for booking only 3 nights. We really didn't want to leave on the day of departure. This resort will be our place to stay at in our next visit to the Maldives.

Room Tip: Park Water Villa. The higher the number the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jarusoba
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Jarusoba,

Thank you so much for your extremely kind words and of course for taking the time to share your experience.

We are delighted you so enjoyed your time with us and your positive experience is what motivates us each and every day.

I am personally so glad you witnessed the meteor shower, it’s certainly one of my favourite events and something that will hopefully stay with you forever.

We cannot wait to welcome you back again one day soon.

melbourne
Reviewed 10 August 2014

In a word, "wow".

I have stayed at many great resorts and hotels around the world, but this really sets the standard for excellence and, unlike many other places, the promotional photos really do reflect the images you see every day.

The travel

Many people have already talked about this, so I won't say much more, other than yes, it is far away, but you can't expect paradise to be easy to get to, as if it were easy to get to, it would be full of tourists and would no longer be paradise.

We looked at the travel as being a great part of the experience, and were not disappointed. My only suggestion is for those arriving late at night into Male, think about overnighting in Male (as we did), so that you can really enjoy the trip. Also, I'm no sure that I would have enjoyed a 40 minute speedboat ride at night.

The transfers in Male were seemless and the Hyatt co-ordinated with our hotel in Male. Hyatt staff were also on hand at the airport to assist with check-in to the lcoal flight and also to co-ordinate check-in for our flight departing the maldives.

Hyatt guests have lounge access in Male ahead of the internal flight. That lounge can also be used on return to Male, although lounge access in the international terminal in only available if you are flying business class (or have airline status which allows lounge access).

The resort

In a word, magical.

Many resorts try to promote all of the activities that they provide for guests. If you are looking for a trip with lots of activities and things to constantly do, then this is not the place for you.

Sandy paths around the resort, quiet and a true sense of peacefulness. No loud music, noise of motorised activities. You can simply just take in the nature and beauty of the location. The activity exceptions are the yoga, the day spa and the diving. My wife enjoyed the day spa and a yoga session (although would have attended more had they not been at sunrise) and I loved the diving (see more below).

The pool bar was the perfect place to relax at the end of the day and have a drink while watching the sunset - the canapes were also a nice touch.

Management drinks occur once a week and were really nice and a good chance to meet management and staff in an even more relaxed environment. I'm not sure, but the invitation may have only been made to diamond gold passport members, as some people did not seem aware of the drinks. It was probably the only time that we got a feel for the resort occupancy level, although many people were not at the drinks (I would estimate about 70 - 80%, but given max occupancy is around 100, that's still not much).

The villa

We had a pool villa and it was amazing. Words cannot properly describe the villa. From the outdoor bathroom, to the indoor bathroom, to the bedroom and pool - everything was fantastic. We had our private oasis. And when we wanted something different, we simply stepped out onto our (essentially) private beach and snorkeled in the crystal water - the coral and fish could be found from a bout 5m in to the water.

We started to make a habit of watching sunrise on the beach - although time differences and jet lag helped out there.

We met some friends who also had a pool villa but who decided to take a water villa for the last couple of days. They said that while it was very pretty, they were glad they had not selected the water villa for the whole trip. The air conditioning really struggles in the over water villas and there is far less privacy in the over water villas (unless you;re in the very end villa).

We felt completely shut off from the world when we were at our villa or pool.

The diving

The diving was relatively expensive, but it makes sense given the remote location and associated costs. I did 6 dives (5 boat and 1 house reef which everyone has to do before being able to go on the boat dives) and saw different things each time. The diving is fantastic, but more for the sea-life rather than the coral. The reefs in this part of the Maldives are all hard coral reefs, so do not expect fantastic and vibrant colours as you would from a soft coral reef, such as those in Fiji. However, we saw schools of reef sharks, manta rays and too many sea turtles to count (as well as all of the other tropical fish).

The staff at the dive centre were fantastic, knowledgeable and engaging. While she is new in the role, the Centre manager, Pauline, was fantastic and is doing a great job. She is a great asset to the resort.

The pools

Both of the large pools are amazing. The main one is in front of the main restaurant and by the beach. It was fantastic, and I don't think I ever saw more than 3 or 4 people in the enormous pool. The second pool is next to the day spa. This became our "other pool" and we rarely saw anyone at this pool (or on the lounges by the pool).

Needless to say, this is one resort where you will never turn up to a pool and not be able to find a lounge!

The restaurants

There are 2 restaurants, although the Grill only serves dinner. Other than when I was diving, we typically had a late breakfast, an afternoon snack and then dinner. The breakfasts were amazing. I particularly liked the fact that the food was all a la carte, as this avoids the waste that you often see at buffets.

There was no shortage of options and some of the local dishes were also great - I recommend the tuna mushini, which comes as a sampler, but can be ordered as a separate dish.

The dinner menus were extensive and they catered well for dietary restrictions, with an extensive vegetarian menu. The fish was also incredible (as you would expect) and the restaurant staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating. The gazpacho was incredible and I tried to get the recipe, but didn't end up getting it.

The staff

Almost every interaction with resort staff was overwhelmingly positive. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

All guests are "assigned" a team member to look after them during their stay. When we arrived, our allocated team member was not available, so someone else helped receive us and check us in. The team member turned up later, but we hardly saw her again for the rest of our 6 days on the island. This did not bother me, as there is nothing I can think of that I could have wanted, but I do know that some people rave about this feature and I did not experience that at all.

Is it appropriate for kids?

We did not take our kids. Some people did, but I don't think the kids would particularly enjoy themselves. We hardly saw those kids that were there, but other than sitting by the pool/beach or watching dvds in the room, there is nothing for the kids to do, and almost no other kids for them to play with. If you're looking for a holiday with kids, better to look somewhere else. I would not go there with my kids.

Would I go back?

How soon can I book? So yes, we will be back, although not sure when.

Room Tip: Pool villa is the best option.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dtm1
Dear dtm1,
Thank you so much for your lovely and detailed review of your time with us. We are delighted that you so enjoyed your stay and even more so that you decided to share it.

It seems you certainly made the most of your time here and really understood the concept and felt the real pleasures available on Hadahaa.

I have sent your regards to Pauline and she send her right back.

We truly hope to see you again soon.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Let me start by saying that this was our second time visiting the Park Hyatt Hadahaa after 2 ½ years. The first was a blissful honeymoon in April of 2012 and my husband and I has some expectations that were high. Really high.

To keep it real- this destination located in the remote section of a southern atoll only steps away from the equator, and although beautiful, is not an easy one to make if traveling from the United States. The entire journey took close to 30 hours each way and despite traveling with a one and a half year old precocious 16 month old; I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Needless to say, that says A LOT.

So the question posed by many of our NYC friends was WHY? Why would you go to such great lengths- maybe slightly insane lengths- to revisit this remote place in the middle of the Indian Ocean when there are so many closer places that offer 5 star luxury hotel services in beautiful settings?

I could probably write a novel about this but in the name of keeping it simple, I’ll try to condense my response into a few key sections.

Service: We’ve been to many five star hotels all over the world and not a single one has provided us with the personalized, attentive level of service that this one has. From the moment you arrive you know that the staff takes every measure to note your likes, preferences, and interests. Whether it’s a cocktail reception where you get to interact with the delightful management team, a personalized relationship with your “host” who looks after your specialized needs, the fact that your servers remember your favorite food items, this level of personalized service permeates every experience.

Accommodations: Every time we have stayed in a pool villa and not regretted a moment of it. Small eco footprint mixed with gorgeous, classic design makes me want to go back and get an architecture degree to understand how this is even possible. It’s beautiful, classic, and blends perfectly with the surroundings in a really non-obtrusive and beautiful way.

Staff: So this is actually the reason I think this hotel goes above and beyond any of the others I’ve had the luxury of visiting. In fact, this is the main reason we returned to this specific property after almost 3 years. Three years ago my husband and I were first introduced to snorkeling by a local Maldivian employee named Inah. We were so amazed by his passion and integrity for the beautiful life of these untouched underwater reefs that we swore we’d be back. Needless to say, three years later we went to great lengths to ensure that Inah was my diving instructor and I am now addicted to diving for life. At Park Hyatt Maldives the guests have the opportunity to interact with the local people like Inah that make this experience so amazing. We get to understand the Maldivian culture get a better understanding as to why this is one of the most beautiful and unique places in the world. The staff makes this place so phenomenal- whether it’s the attentive service given by the waiter Falal, the special little details the housekeeping team Khaalis put into our room (He made an elephant towel for our son), the entire DIVE team which babysat and entertained our son during their off hours during my dives, or the phenomenal back of the house tour given by the eloquent and witty James- these are the details that make guests feel special. Maybe this is why, despite the surreal and beautiful landscape that surrounded us every evening, I found myself sad to leave the people as much as the place on that sad day of our departure.

My advice is to go and enjoy every second of your surroundings and if you have the time and energy, learn a bit about the people that make this one of the best resorts in the world. And try the tuna roshi- because Maldivians make the best tuna in the world hands down.

Room Tip: pool villa hands down
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank ChristyBK
Dear ChristyBK,
Thank you for the lovely review. As you mentioned it is quite a distance but as your review states, it’s more than worth it.
It was a delight and such a pleasure to welcome you back along with Erin and Kiran as fantastic new editions to the team.
Thanks you for taking the time to share the story of your return to Hadahaa, it means so much to us and is inspiration for us all to continue to do what we do.
We are so glad that you learned to dive and huge congratulations on completing your Open Water Certification. Next stop Advanced? Inah, and the entire team eagerly anticipate your next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

*** Please note, this review is based upon me being an award night guest, not a full rack paying guest. Park Hyatt tends to treat award night members like lepers, and this resort seems to as well. If they don't want award night guests, I don't know why they offer award nights. ***

This is not a rant. I've given out MANY 4/5 star reviews. And stayed at many Park Hyatts on four continents. After spending $40,000 to have my wedding at a different Hyatt, and receiving some award nights for our honeymoon, we expected more.

Pros:
Secluded Island
The house reef is astounding. You can walk off your beach and be in the best snorkeling you've ever had. The snorkeling is almost as good as the scuba. Truly.
The rooms are great, though some minor maintenance issues. Our lights mysteriously turned on every hour all night long. Outdoor shower great.
The Dive shop is great. The new french lady is awesome.
Internet is fast. Had a few issues, the IT guy fixed it immediately.
True to Park Hyatt experience, you will never see more than 20-30 guests at a time, even at pool
area.
No bugs!!

Neutral-
Getting here can be fun, or an annoyance. If you are on a short stay, check your flight times. It can take as long as five hours before you touch down in Male and are checking in (two flights and a boat). And it will cost you $500 a person for the transfers.

Cons:
The service level here seems very low for Park Hyatt. On par with a Cancun all-inclusive, but with less English and less of an imperative for excellent service. I am not high maintenance by any means (read my other reviews), but a few small requests seemed to hit brick walls. Our final full day some help was given (medicine, yoga mat, etc).
Sometimes when you have an issue, you never know where to go to get it resolved.

As mentioned before, we were on an award stay. They were kind enough to give us a bottle of wine for our honeymoon (thank you), but our room was in the back, our service was lacking, and we just got a general feeling of being undesirable. If I had paid $1000 a night for this, I would be seriously disappointed, but maybe if I had paid $1000 a night, I might have been treated differently.

Go for the best reef you will ever snorkel, some great rooms, a nice quiet isolated experience. Don't go for a quick trip, the service, or an award stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank jcb193
Dear Jcb193,

My apologies for the delay in response. I appreciate you taking the time to review your time spent with us here on Hadahaa. While I am delighted there were aspects you enjoyed I am very disappointed that you felt unwelcome in any way, especially that you felt it may have been due to being on an award stay.

The Award program is one of the core elements of our brand and we do not differentiate our service attention based on the type of booking, furthermore, the majority of our team have no way of knowing whether the room is being paid or on an award basis and therefore are unable to differentiate on this basis.

I am sorry that this concern was not raised with us during your stay so we could have identified its cause and assure you that all guests are treated with equal care and attention and in addition to this Gold Passport members also receive the approriate member benefits applicable to their level fo Membership.

Thank you again for sharing your stay experience with us.

New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The setting: You are an island an hour's flight from Male, the capital, followed by a 30 minute boat ride. The hotel will book the air transfer for you for $500/person. You will reach the private island which houses the hotel and will be very glad to arrive. There are about 50 bungalows each with private beach access and a pair of beach chairs. The main eating area and pool are a short walk away, as is the spa. You can walk around the entire island in fifteen minutes. The public spaces are elegant and inviting. There main restaurant is spacious and has a lounge off to the side. The pool fronts the restaurant. There is a bar with inviting couches and swings off to the side. One design flaw is that the stairs into and out of the pool are directly in front of the main restaurant; no one needs to see drenched people exiting the pool as one eats. Otherwise you have to pull yourself out of the pool over the ledge to have some modesty. This was very odd. Additionally, there aren't any Bali beds on the beach or by the pool. This is horrible as the UV index here exceeds a value of 10. If you want good sun cover, you won't get it here. The beach umbrellas aren't sufficient and we were severely sun brunt. The spa is inviting, with its own pool and separate massage bungalows.

The rooms: The bungalows are spacious. Some come with private plunge pools but this is not necessary. The bungalows over the water, on stilts, are attractive, but if you stay in one, you will not have a private path to the beach with private beach chairs. In a way, the best choice of room is the most affordable option. The decor in the bungalows is minimalistic. The large glass screen doors often slide out of their tracks, so beware. The bathrooms are very large with an outdoor shower and bath tub. There is a shower in the interior as well, in case it's too hot to shower outdoors. The bath products on offer are in clay jars, so I am unsure of the brand. All bathroom amenities are available and neatly presented. The water pressure was good.

The food: Other than the lack of sufficient sun cover, the food is also disappointing. The breakfast has an Asian, a continental and a healthy option. Fresh juice and coffee is great. Lunch and dinner menus become trite quickly. All dishes are good but not great. You have a variety of continental and Asian/Indian options. All come close to what the dishes actually should taste like but not quite close enough.

Overall: The beach here is mind blowing. The rooms and public spaces are good. The lack of sun cover and the trite menu is a major downside. Communication between front end staff and clients is problematic. Although management rectified their transgressions with a couple massage, as far as I am concerned, this miscommunication should have never occurred. The extra flight and boat ride is scenic but annoying after a very long flight. Our stay was free due to certificates and Hyatt points, so I was satisfied, otherwise I am not sure if I would have been. The manager of the property and his wife were very friendly and welcoming, however.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Brooklynite_Abroad
Dear Brooklynite_Abroad,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Park Hyatt Maldives. While we are delighted you enjoyed your stay for the most part, we are or course disappointed there were a few problems. It is for this reason that your review is so important to us to ensure problems are rectified. So for that we thank you.

In response to the amenity question the products are by Le Labo.

england
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I could write War & Peace about this resort. But not having young Leo's literary skills I am going to keep it really simple.

Food - excellent
Rooms - ditto - I stayed in a beach villa
Reef - amazing
Staff/service -exemplary
Hospitality - wonderful

The only category about which I am going to give further detail is staff/service - to each person that I dealt with at the resort - Thank you. You made my holiday. Each and every one of you is a credit to the resort and the chain. Nadya and her colleague Victoria, Sangheeta, Ashish, & Priyankara, Falah (I do hope that I have got his name correct) my room boy, oh all of you, you were just fantastic. I cannot believe that I am now at home and you are there. To a man you were enthusiastic, cheerful, helpful and knowledgable.

I did say that I would keep it simple.

Here is the bottom line. If you have the time then just go. You will be glad that you did.

This was the best hotel experience that I have had in my life. I completely recommend it. Plus, plus, plus the reef. The reef is gorgeous.

I already miss being there. The staff made me feel that I belonged there and this will NOT be my only visit. It will simply be my first.

Room Tip: You do not need anything other than a beach villa.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 0n0n
Dear 0n0n or should I say Leo?,
Many thanks for the fantastic and perfectly crafted review of your recent time with us. It is such a pleasure for us to receive such delightful feedback and inspires us to continue to do what we do.
In simple terms we are so happy that you so enjoyed your time with us and I have best your best to the entire team.
We cannot wait to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadahaa Island
AYADA Maldives
AYADA Maldives
#1 of 1 in Maguhdhuvaa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,452 reviews
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resor...
#3 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
#1 of 1 in Villingili
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
#1 of 1 in Meradhoo Island

Been to Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa? Share your experiences!