W Maldives
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Kandolhu Maldives(North Ari Atoll)
US$1,035
Constance Moofushi(Moofushi Island)
US$1,562
US$1,270
  • Breakfast included
Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
US$285
US$239
Travelocity
US$254
US$48
Travelocity
VOI Maayafushi Resort(Maayafushi Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Velidhu Island Resort(Velidhoo Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewsw retreatfish restaurantice creamplunge poolour honeymoonfour seasonsbeach villaprivate islandspecial thankssea planeday bedmale airportresort and spaocean facingprivate dinnersea turtlesremote island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This SPG hotel was absolutely great, the property itself was incredible, and the island is very private and picturesque. Although we had the basic room for the first 3 nights, we were upgraded to the seascape escape for the last 3 nights. The basic room, beach oasis I believe they are called, are by far the best entry level rooms/suites I have ever seen at a hotel, and we would have been happy to stay there for the entire 6 night trip, until we saw the exquisite seascape escape of course. This suite had oceanfront access and was exquisitely appointed.

The breakfast, lunches and dinner were all superb, and the personal attention we had was second to none. Much better than other W experiences I have had, and even better than some of the Fairmonts I stay at regularly. The staff knew us by name, and addressed us as such, everything from welcoming us by name when we stepped off the sea plane, until we left. The chefs knew all about our gluten and seafood allergies, and adjusted menus accordingly, which was greatly appreciated. They really went all out. The attention paid by the chefs, particularly the head chef (his name escapes me), the pastry chef and Phoebe were great, and they made sure we had special attention paid to us every day. The staff seemed genuinely concerned with all guests and ensuring that everyone was having fun, and were enjoying their trip.

The welcome amenity was one of the the best from an SPG point of view, a bottle of Moet and Chandon Champagne is always welcome! My wife took a private cooking class with Joy, and really enjoyed it. She talked about it for days. Mathew, the W insider, was very professional and a pleasure to interact with. He helped make the stay quite wonderful. We participated in some of the activities, which were plenty of fun. We did lots of excursions, and took advantage of the spa and water sports. The sail boating and snorkeling, even at night, were wonderful experiences.

Some of the reviews on here have some negative comments about bugs and wood in need of repair. Yes, there are bugs, it is a tropical island, of course they will gather. It is the only land for a very long distance! The hotel does a great job of spraying and controlling pests. Yes, the high humidity does impact the wood, with upkeep, this is easily taken care of and does not detract from the stay in paradise at all!

At beach holiday destinations, many of which are dependent upon the weather, they all seem the same after a while (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Thailand, Seychelles etc.)... Beach, sun, snorkel, dive, sail, eat, drink, relax etc. The W takes that normal beach holiday and improves it with great staff who go out of their way to ensure your needs are met, "whatever, whenever" is their slogan, and this hotel definitely sets it apart from the others in this market segment.

I highly recommend this property to anyone looking to relax at a luxurious tropical destination.

Travel Credentials: SPG Platinum Ambassador Guest/Air Canada Super Elite

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade, it is worth it. Try the in room BBQ option, and since the in room dining options are the same as the restaurants on premises, at the same price, don't be afraid to take it easy one night and enjoy your retreat!
1  Thank T A
JenniferBWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hello,

Thank you for such lovely comments.
We are glad you have made the most out of your stay with and that you have enjoyed our Seascape Escape retreat.

Your comments about our Chef's and our W Insider will be shared.
Thank you for your Starwood loyalty, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W for our anniversary. Stuff of legend. The service was great, and in particular, I liked how attentive the staff was. The pastry chef was exemplary, and as I am celiac and have to be gluten free, she made something for me every day - which in the middle of the Indian ocean is no small feat.

I really enjoyed 15below for after hours. My wife and I are from Hong Kong and like a little night life, and in the other visits to the Maldives, we found that things would close by 10. 15 below really gets started at midnight.

Don't skimp when you go to the W. Get Ocean Oasis as it is only a bit more and you will remember it. And when the ask you do do 'crab races', DO IT - trust me on this one (and dont pick the big one!)

If you've been to the Maldives, you'll understand when I say this. The only 'negative' (if we call it that), is that there are far less sharks and rays in the reef when compared to Huvafen of Gili.

An amazing spot and one I recommend! I W Maldives!

Room Tip: Ocean oasis. Over the water bungalows and the are amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D M
JenniferBWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hello,

It is fabulous to read that you had such an amazing time celebrating your Anniversary on our island playground.

We will share your personalized comment to our pastry Chef.

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor.

Hope to see you again at any of our sister properties.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it!!!! The staff were amazing, the food was great and most importantly our W Insider Chunky (Matthew) was the best. He informed us of everything going on at the resort, and all the romantic options to choose from. It was so nice to see the GM Jennifer greet us as we arrived and ask us how our stay was going. Customer service at its best. It was worth every penny.

1  Thank Valerie S

Hello Valerie,

We are glad that you chose to spend your honeymoon at W Retreat & Spa - Maldives.
Thank you for such positive comment and we hope you will keep great souvenir of our first Maldives fashion show.

We hope to see you soon again,

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Even though the management of the hotel have tried to web out my bad experience but I should report this Issue to Trip-Advisors. On the 2nd day of my honey moon at the W Maldives resort I have found a numerous number of white ants and spiders inside my water villa. On the other hand , I found the hotels facilities and staff are good.In brief, I really liked the resort but I will think twice if I want to stay at the water villa because of the insects issue.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HanbzZz
JenniferBWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our facility.
We try our best to limit the impact of insects on our guests experience by fogging the island on a daily basis. It is unfortunate to read that after moving you to another retreat you have kept such bad memories.

We hope to see you soon in one of our Starwood properties!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I’m not one to write reviews or comment but i really would be doing an injustice to the resort and staff if I don’t so here goes. My wife took some time and researched a lot before we set our views on the W Maldives, we knew we wanted to go to the Maldives for our 10th Anniversary but couldn’t decide on a resort. What can I say, I think we couldn’t have made a better choice. We stayed there for six nights, three in a beach oasis and three in a ocean oasis, which would I choose again? I wouldn’t change them as they are both spectacular. As for the rest of the resort it small and quiet and the perfect retreat for a relaxing holiday, the food always very good and varied, compliments to the head chef and his staff (especially Farouq), The Spa is a haven the place is great and its staff are amazing but I cannot forget to mention the all the staff always ready with a smile and always ready to help, but a special mention goes to two in a particular Matthew the W insider who is always on the look out to make sure all is ok and Lahiru (the IT manager) who not really client facing but knows what being in a service industry is all about.

A personal note to Jennifer, I know as a GM you will want to fix things, but please if it works don’t fix it. I think it really works.

To Trip Advisors visitors, please review Terrible and Poor reviews with caution as If we had followed them we wouldn’t have visited and we would have really missed out.

Room Tip: I would gor for half the stay in the beach oasis and half in the ocean oasis as it works wonderfully. Both rooms are great and diferent
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
JenniferBWMaldives, General Manager at W Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hello George,

Thank you.

We appreciate your kind review, and are glad to read that you had such a great time our tropical island.

Farouk, Yeni, Lahiru all sends their regards and hope to see you soon again.

Again thank you for your review and congratulation on your Tin Anniversary.