“Lovely honeymoon-- a bit of room for improvement”

LUX* South Ari Atoll
London
“Lovely honeymoon-- a bit of room for improvement”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Lux for 9 nights for our honeymoon. Overall, the resort is great, service is top notch, and we couldn't have wished for a better honeymoon. There are, however, a few points to keep in mind as you are planning your trip to the resort:
1) Overwater villas are a bit dated. We had chipping paint on our terrace and some other small points showing rooms' age. The infinity pool also had some chipping tiles.
2) Snorkeling out of your villa is just mediocre and the house reif trip is also just ok. There are better places to go if you are all about snorkeling. Diving, however, was top notch and my husband took full advantage of it
3) All inclusive package is great on wine and liquors as it has a huge selection, but some basic things are not included. For example, whilst it is advertised that all restaurants are included, the japanese Umami one is not. Also, only limited things from mini bar are included. Freshly squizzed juices are not inclused, which seems ironic-- include a 75 dollar bottle of champagne, but not a 5 dollar juice. Also silly for a resort claiming to be really healthy.
4) Another aspect of healthy-- whilst buffets and all the restaurants are quite good, there really could be more emphasis on healthy things. Salad bar was quite limited and a lot of dishes were very oily and buttery.
5)Most honeymooners would get a honeymoon dinner on the bach-- DO NOT GO. It was by far the worst meal we had on the island. Wilted salad, cold grilled items, and bad music.
6)Carts around the island could definitely go more often-- there were many times when I walked back and forth to where I needed to go and still no cart in sight/ more than 20 min wait.
If you keep these things in mind, you won't have any surprises and know what to expect.

4 Thank Adeline L
LUX_GM, General Manager at LUX* South Ari Atoll, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Adeline,

Thank you very much for sharing the honeymoon trip you had spent at LUX* Maldives. Your feedback on the areas mentioned has been noted and the respective departments have been working on the points you have highlighted in order to sustain the service and provide best holiday experience to our guests.

It is very exciting to share with you that daily we look at ways to have all our villas and guests areas continuously been looked at, to how we can make it better. All the villas on the property has been undergone a new lighter and brighter feel, and the next time when you return to the resort, you will surely enjoy the new looks and changes we have made. Moreover, our corporate nutritionist is currently on the island to assist the team and design light and LUX* healthy menus for our guests to enjoy so they will be able to explore a culinary experience and wellness.

Your comments are constructive feedback are valuable for us as we are evolve each day to the needs of our guests, and I am confident that for your next visit, you would experience a lighter and brighter version of LUX* Maldives.

Yours sincerely,

Shaun Dünhofen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for nine nights and it has been by far best holiday of our lives... It is not only the perfect location - it's especially the team and the little details that made our stay so special. We were completely blown away with the whole experience. After stepping off the seaplane, we had a very warm welcome by Ricarda who looked well after us during our whole stay and made sure we were always happy! The room was perfect, we got beautiful flower & towel bed decoration every few days and the room has been perfectly clean.
A special thanks particularly to the F&B team around Alex and Jonathan, not only both of them took great care of us, their whole team is exceptionally well trained and attentive. We usually went to the island bar to have some of the awesome cocktails - thanks Daniel and Victoria for your excellent service and the beautiful drinks! - and then went to one of the buffet restaurants. The food was always excellent no matter where we dined. Junior Sous Chef Nino went out of his way to made sure we enjoy the food at Island Kitchen, and Imdah and Amir from East were absolutely incredible. Every morning and evening they welcomed us and ensured we enjoy every minute. On our last evening, they prepared a special table for us with beautiful decoration, we were simply blown away by their special care and attention..
We decided to upgrade to an All Inclusive package from our original Bed & Breakfast option which was well worth it, we will book it straight away next time.
We also decided to book a spa package which included treatments in the over water villa, it was just heavenly... A big thank you or "Suksma" to Nur, Tini, Yami and Merta for your perfect service at the spa, we still talk about the great massages!
There are so many little details that we enjoyed from finding a "message in a bottle" to complimentary phone calls home or little "snack bars" where you can find fresh coconut or juices, or watching movies under the stars. We cannot wait to come back as soon as possible - thank you for everything!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Janine,

I would like to thank you for posting your holiday experience online and sharing it with the world. I am very proud and agree with you that our team is the best team to work with in the Maldives ! With their good work, our property is able to keep up the service quality and consistently growing among so many hotels and resorts in the country. We are delighted you enjoyed our LUX* Me spa as many of our guests comment how wonderful the experience is.

It is really reassuring for all of us that you had a wonderful vacation by exploring the fun and activities at LUX* Maldives, and Alex and Jonathan together with the team, we truly look forward to welcoming you back soon for another retreat in the Indian Ocean.

Sunny regards from the tropics,

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have just returned from a week's stay at the Lux* Maldives resort at the end of June 2014 to beginning of July 2014 as a single male traveller. This was my first trip to the Maldives and I was absolutely stunned by the beauty of the island. Perfect light blue waters, perfect crisp blue skies and a setting sun served as my welcome to paradise.

I was greeted as I stepped off the boat by Daven, who was very welcoming after my 33 hour non-stop journey to arrive at the resort. Checking in was a breeze and I even managed to snap a photo of the sunset before I was driven to my room - I booked for a Sunset suite but was pleasantly surprised to find I was upgraded to a Beach Villa.

The setting of the resort itself is truly wonderful - a large island that is easy to walk, white beaches, warm water and lots of palm trees - exactly what I was after. My villa was on the sunrise side of the island, which was the sheltered side of the island away from the breeze, which meant that it got quite hot during the day outside (but nothing a dip in the lagoon followed by a cooling off in my air-conditioned room couldn't fix). I was a bit concerned about the weather leading up to my trip, however I needn't have worried - 5 out of the 7 days I was there consisted of absolutely perfect blue skies, sunshine and light breezes, one day rained all day, and the day after was overcast all day. That free in-room wifi came in handy during the day it rained!

I wouldn't quite give this resort 5 stars for one reason - the food. Outside of Allegria and Umami, both of which I dined at, and the breakfast buffets, the food wasn't really up to standard for a 5 star resort. For example, one night I ordered in-room dining - which included a thai green curry. The curry was quite poor - it was very salty, was not spicy at all and really needed some lime or tamarind to achieve the balance of hot, salty, sweet and sour that thai food is renown for. The same was experienced with a pad thai that I also ordered - it was missing the sour aspect of the four elements of good thai. Another night, I ordered a burger - the patty was quite dry, and the bun a little stale. A smoked marlin panini at Lagoon bar lacked enough wasabi mayo, so was quite dry. However the breakfast buffets were outstanding, I ate my way through a number of blueberry pancakes, and the staff even whipped up a hollandaise sauce specifically for me so that I could make an eggs benedict one morning. As for lunch, for the price of the buffet, I thought that it was a little too expensive when compared to the pricing for lunch at say Veli Bar or the Lagoon Bar. Instead of working out to be around $50 USD for lunch, it would be on par to price at around $35 USD, similar to what it would cost for most meals at the above mentioned alternatives. Another improvement would be to serve cold beer in a glass!

Whilst I didn't make use of all the activities on offer, as I was after a holiday perfecting the art of doing nothing, there are so many different experiences - whether it be jet skiing, diving, snorkelling, going for a sunset cruise, or going for more of a wellness experience - spa, gym sessions etc.

It was great to have my villa serviced twice a day, always kept clean and fresh. It really allowed me to properly relax without worrying about the state of my room!

If you were looking for a budget, I would budget $50 USD per meal per person, another $50 - $75 USD per person per day for a few drinks (especially those passionfruit margaritas at Veli!), and $150 USD per person to eat at Allegria or Umami. Activities like cooking classes at Allegria, fishing etc are in the vicinity of $60 - $150 USD per person.

On the morning as I was leaving I had a great chat with the manager of the resort, who encouraged me to post a review on here, and promised to take on board my comments about the food! I left as a small storm passed over, so it was a very very bumpy ride back to the airport, but that was just unlucky timing. He was very happy to see some of the photos that I took during my time there, so I'll put them up for you all.

All in all, the resort is fantastic, and I will have absolutely no hesitation in going again at the same time of the year. Given that I could easily have gone to Tahiti, Fiji, Bali, Rarotonga or Samoa to enjoy their peak season for the same price (and far less travel time), I would hands down choose the Maldives, and am planning to be back again this time next year.

Room Tip: The sunrise side of the island is more sheltered, which means it gets very hot on that side. The Sun...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank GrantR007
Dear Grant,

Good to hear from you on TripAdvisor ! How is everything back on the other side of the ocean ?

Thank you for the review, and we are pleased to know you had enjoyed a quality time on our island. We have duly noted your comments and feedback on the food and have been discussed with by the concerned departments, and necessary actions for improvement have been put in place once your message was received. As we believe that only by listening to our guests will we be able to strive for perfection, therefore we thank you for your constructive feedback which assists our team and resort to grow continuously.

Once again, your comments are very much appreciated, and I hope soon we will see you again on our warm and sunny island in the Indian Ocean.

Yours sincerely,

England
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just returned from the most amazing 11 night holiday at LUX Maldives. From the moment the seaplane landed, to see the staff lined up on the jetty all waving to welcome us and Jonathan the Chef who took the time to discuss our dietary requirements. We stayed in a water villa set in the most beautiful crystal clear lagoon, but all the beach accommodation was just as luxurious (as we were able to view the beach villas during our stay). There is a short walk out into the lagoon to reach the coral and see more sealife, but fish/rays/reef sharks all swim past the deck of the villa during the day. Some mornings we saw the pods of dolphins just beyond the reef & managed to catch a glimpse of them jumping - lovely sight. The food in all the restaurants is amazing & the staff can't do enough for you, nothing is a problem. Big thankyou to Jonathan & GianCarlos who made our last night special at the Allegria restaurant - we will remember our last meal. Big thankyou to the fantastic bartenders at East Bar who welcome you every night with a big smile and take the time to chat (RUP.. you make the most amazing cocktails, they were delicious) you all made us so welcome so a big thankyou to Rup, Marine & Romish. All the waiters make the effort to ask how your day went & all staff are happy and never pass by without saying hello. We did have a couple of nights of monsoon winds & rain but it did not dampen our holiday. Keep hiding the "messages in bottles" as it is a lovely idea to give guests a surprise if you manage to find one. Beach villas on the lagoon side are quieter but no breeze, so can be very hot & humid but Beach villas on the other side have a lovely breeze. Went for the all inclusive option and was not disappointed as the food/drinks/cocktails are all amazing. So much choice in the Island Kitchen buffets - best we have ever seen for buffet dining. Can't wait to return - it was 11 weeks in heaven. You should all be proud of yourselves.

Room Tip: Rooms on lagoon side are quieter. Rooms on side where seaplane land have a breeze which is very welc...
1 Thank Lake-District1
Warm greetings from Jonathan, Giancarlo, Rup, Marine and Romesh ! We are very glad to learn about your amazing experience staying with LUX* Maldives, and you had fully enjoyed the sun, the ocean and the food on our island.

Thank you very much for the lovely feedback. Your comments have been looked up by many travelers and it is certainly the most valuable prize to the team as we are very encouraged by your kind words.

If your dates of travel are confirmed, please do contact us for any special requests we could offer to make your holiday more fun and remarkable. We are looking forward to seeing you at the jetty when you arrive !

Best regards from the LUX* Maldives team,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Absolutely incredible holiday, probably the best of our lives !! Crystal clear water, picture perfect beaches all on a paradise island. Diving and snorkelling was an absolute treat !

We had an idyllic villa with our own little private beach !! Thought it was a better option than the water villas which looked a bit clustered.

We went for the all inclusive option, best choice ever. Had nothing to concern ourselves about, it was like a dream !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Seema S
Thank you for the wonderful remarks on TripAdvisor. It was great that your stay at the island was fun and enjoyable.

Should you wish to visit LUX* Maldives again, please get in touch with us anytime as we are always ready to make sure you are going to have another perfect holiday experience in the sunny tropics .

Warmest regards from the LUX* Maldives,

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 7nights at the start of June 2014. We really enjoyed every minute of it. The staff were so friendly and helpful.

A major highlight for us was that we practiced yoga every morning by the sea with a lovely instructor - it was a great way to start the day.

The snorkelling was great fun too and for beginners like us, not too daunting. It was a lovely experience.

At the spa, we went for massages one day and the cupping experience another day. I'd recommend that everyone try cupping once. It really loosens up the muscles and we had so much energy for weeks afterwards.. However be aware that you will have marks and bruises on your back afterwards.

Abbas in the kitchen restaurant was wonderful and really made our stay special. He made an extra effort when we missed the Maldivian night and ensured we received Maldivian food and had a lovely evening.

If I ever have the chance to return to the Maldives, I would certainly stay at lux. There was great variety in the restaurants, lots to do and very chilled out.

We stayed in the sunset suite and loved it. Although the outdoor toilet did get a bit annoying. Everything else was lovely though.

The journey from Ireland was very long but worth it.

Keep an eye out for the message in a bottle. We won a bottle of wine!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sarahbyrne2585
LUX_GM, General Manager at LUX* South Ari Atoll, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Sarah,

Greetings from the sunny LUX* Maldives !

I would like to thank you for giving your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear from you again, and we are very delighted to know you have gone home with a lot of lovely memories.

Thank you for traveling from Ireland and staying at LUX* Maldives. We really hope that soon you would be back again for another visit in the future. Therefore, please do not hesitate to be in touch with any of our team member for any assistance.

Best regards from Abbas and the team of LUX* Maldives,

Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My new husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon at Lux Maldives, and it was, without a doubt, the best holiday we have ever had. Everything was 100% perfect from start to finish. The staff were so welcoming and friendly, the food was excellent, our beach villa was spotlessly clean. Blue seas, white sands, beautiful flowers and greenery……it is absolute paradise on earth. Pure unspoiled beauty. We would highly recommend it to anyone. We went for the "all-inclusive" package, which included all meals and beverages (including selected minibar drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic - these are listed on the drinks menu in your room). I would advise anyone to go "all-inclusive" or at lease "full board" (meals only, if you're not a huge drinker of alcohol), as it would have been quite expensive otherwise. Expect to pay around $130 for a buffet meal for 2 and a bottle of wine. Add this up over the course of a week, and you will run up a huge bill. A cocktail is anywhere between 15 and 40 dollars, and a glass of wine is around 18 dollars. But with the all inclusive package, you don't have to worry about any of this - just eat and drink your fill! Also, the island is incredibly safe. We would often go for romantic walks late at night, and there would never be any reason to feel unsafe. The island has several security men (dressed in blue) who patrol day and night, but are rarely, if ever, needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beach villa, and not in the beach huts over the water (on stilts). Although the huts...
2 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary,

I would like to congratulate you and your husband on the recent marriage ! It was our pleasure to have you here and celebrate the wonderful moments at LUX* Maldives.

Thank you very much for posting the review and sharing your honeymoon trip with the world. I am very glad you had fully enjoyed the food and the drink by choosing the all-inclusive meal plan. It is one of the best way to indulge in the holiday without worrying on any extra expenses. Good choice !

Thank you again for the good words. Our team and I are looking forward to hearing from you again. Please do contact us should there be anything we could do to be at your assistance.

Very warm and sunny greetings from the Maldives,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhidhoofinolhu Island
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to LUX* South Ari Atoll? Share your experiences!