My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon in Maldives. We spent 5 days in Athuruga Beach and 5 more days un Lux Maldives Resort.
If you are looking for a place with lots of activities, friendly with kids and a "big resort” experience, this is the place to go.
As my husband and I were looking for a quiet place where to spend our honeymoon, I have to say that our first impression was not good: the place was full of Chinese tourist, being very loud and sometimes rude with other tourists and with the people that worked at the hotel. As soon as we arrived we realize that this was a big island compared to the average islands in Maldives (it’s 2 km long) and consequently, it holds much more people than most of resorts in Maldives.
However, as days went by we found quiet solitary beaches with no one there, as well as a very nice spot in the west end of the island with an amazing swimming pool which was quiet and not crowded at all (Senses restaurant and bar). We also realized that the a la carte restaurants, the cocktails and the wine list in the all inclusive package were really really good. When you pay so much for your vacation’s one of the things that you expect is that the food and drinks are up to challenge and I have to say that Lux delivers in that aspect. There are two a la carte restaurants included in the all inclusive package: Allegria (Italian food) and Senses (mix of Arabic and Maldivian food). Both of them are really really good, but we have to say that as being Spanish, Italian food is something that we are much more use to eat, so we had dinner there 4 of the 5 nights that we stayed in Lux.
In the Allegria restaurant we not only received five star treatment (like a private candlelight dinner with of five courses specially organized for us, to special out of the menu dishes and so on), but we need to say that everyone there -from the Hostess Andrea, the Bartender Buhpi (great original cocktails!), the Manager Giancarlo, the General Manager Jonathan, to our Waitress Nishan (the best we ever had, such a nice person who made our dinners much more interested) and the amazing Chef Subbuni (who not only cooks great but is such a humble person, who also gave me the recipes of the dishes that I so much liked so that I could make them at home)- make the best team to deliver a unique experience when it comes to dinning. Thank you so much guys for every night that we were able to spend there!!
One of other good things about Lux is the SPA. It really delivers a unique and relaxing experience. Not only because the place looks like a luxury hotel in Bali, but also because they really take into account every detail such as the detox tamarind drink that they give you when you arrive, to all the scented oils that they use, the calm and relaxing music, to the amazing water villas where they give you your massage…. Even if it is quite expensive we would really recommend to take at least one couple’s massage to be able to enjoy the experience.
Regarding the house reef, it is a downer in Lux’s case because you can only go once a day with previous booking, as you need to be taken on a boat. On most of Maldives resorts, the house reef is just there so you can go whenever you like, as many times as you want. But having to take a boat it is a bit disappointing also because it is not as colorful and full of fishes as the house reef that we had seen in Diamond’s hotel. However, having said that, because Lux is on the very south of the South Ari Atoll, the chances to see whale sharks, Mantas and other big fishes is much more higher since the island is located just where the whale sharks are. So, even if you have to pay for the excursion (around 100 US$ per person, which is less than what you will pay at other resorts since Lux is closer to the reef where you find the whale sharks), you will probably have more chances to see them cause if you don’t on the first time, you are more likely to pay one or two times more to be able to have the experience. In other resorts, as it is much more expensive and also takes more time to get to the reef, if you have no luck the first time, hardly people are willing to bet one more time, not only because of the money but also because you loose half a day going around a speedboat to see nothing.
As far as water villas go, we were very lucky to have the room 150 which is at the very end of the water villa’s jetty, so we had 100% privacy. However, the other water villas were very close to each other and privacy can be an issue. Even though the decor is nice, for a five star hotel we were expecting more… As we had previously been in Diamond’s Athuruga, were water villas were really spacious with a big private deck and Italian design furniture, we were kind of expecting something of the sort when arriving at Lux...
To round up, one of the things that we need to point out about Lux is that everyone that works there is always smiling, with good positive energy and never missing the chance to say hello or good night. It may sound as something not so important when choosing a hotel, but when you are on vacations is fills you up with good energy to be surrounded by people so polite and so easy going. We even made friends with Ismael, the guy that cleaned our room, who every night would leave us a surprise in our water villa (from a bubble bath with flower petals, to crocodiles or swans over our bed created using towels, to messages made out of petals and leafs).
So we would definitely recommend Lux if you are looking for a big island with LOTS of things to, a great SPA (really 5 star treatment), more variety and QUALITY when it comes to dinning and drinking (the wine and drinks menu that they offer on the all inclusive package is quite impressive and a really good selection from all over the world), more chances to see the whale shark and most of all, if you are looking for a place where everyone fills you up with good positive energy, this is where you want to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dreamy atolls of tropical islands scattered across the Indian Ocean, the Maldives are a kaleidoscope of colours and earthly pleasures. Get away from it all at LUX* South Ari Atoll (formerly LUX* Maldives), the only settlement on the postcard-perfect island of Dhidhoofinolhu. Fuss free and laid-back, the resort surprises with pop-up cinema screenings right on the beach, impromptu musical performances and strolls along secret pathways through the lush tropical gardens. Just steps from the thatch-roofed suites and ocean-perched villas, the island's unspoilt beaches are yours to claim. A prime spot for snorkelling and whale-shark spotting, the resort's unblemished lagoon is a diver's dreamworld. Back on land, island street food and fine dining await in the tempting restaurants and bars. In the shade of coconut palms, lounge by the two turquoise pools, luxuriate in the ocean-view spa and surrender to the charms of this castaway idyll. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Destinology, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your LUX* South Ari Atoll reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux* Maldives Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diva Maldives Hotel
- Diva Maldives South Ari Atoll