“Pricy but good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of LUX* South Ari Atoll

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
LUX* South Ari Atoll
South Ari Atoll
“Pricy but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We spent our honeymoon there, a great place, very entertaining, fun and comfortable. the bad things were, no ATM, 5 $ per minute international calls (rediculous) and so many lizards, found two in our room. otherwise it was super.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank adamsmadi11
LUX_GM, General Manager at LUX* South Ari Atoll, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you very much for the review and the online survey you have completed. It is good to know that overall you had a remarkable honeymoon experience at LUX* Maldives.

Next time when you return for visit, I would like to invite you to experience one of the most popular LUX* Reasons To Go – Phone Home – as our guests are able to enjoy the free calls to everywhere around the world and share their life on the island with their friends and families.

Sunny and shining regards,

Shaun Dünhofen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Beirut, Beyrouth, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I don't know where to begin on a resort that had really ticked every box for an island resort and created more boxes in its own league. Granted, the Maldives by itself is a breathtaking place with its postcard-like turquoise waters and white sand. But LUX has an edge that is doubtfully found elsewhere. Clean, impeccable service, friendly staff, unpretentious treatment, and so much going on! From the bottles to the bikes, to the little hidden surprises, children and adults become equal. I don't want to spoil it for you, but there will be an activity or event for you try many times during the day. The spa was fantastic. We tried the Balinese (recommended) and the Chinese (more particular id say). The yoga classes were totally worth it and Sugi is really a brilliant teacher.

On the food level, we didn't take the AI package because we wanted to stay free with our choice of dining. And I am glad we made that choice. Umami (which is not included in AI) was the best restaurant we tried there, thought definitely overpriced. Also the best for lunch is the Lagoon Bar with excellent paninis. Pizzeria not so great, Allegria was very disappointing, and The Kitchen didn't appeal to us for buffets because that's where we were having breakfast every day.
So to define your decision, go for AI only if you want to pig out (sorry for the grammar). My husband and I were paying an average of 150 dollars a day for lunch and dinner and alcohol in moderation. Wine is 36 dollars a bottle, and 10-12 dols per glass. Beer is 6 dollars, and cocktails are 15-25 dollars (adding the taxes). Their Scrucap wine was excellent and so was the beer, but we personally didn't like the cocktails.

For the rooms, we stayed in the sunset junior suite for 3 nights, then moved to the prestige water villa for the other 2 nights. Both were wonderful, but certainly the water villa was more dream-like, luxurious, and private. If you can afford it, you won't regret it. And the prestige types are more private and newer as mentioned in other reviews, but you do feel a bit too far from all the action. The good thing is that there are carts circulating to that point very frequently, so you get to the other side in no time. No complaints about any algae in the water, it was crystal blue and we climbed the villa stairs down right into it.

In summary, LUX gave us the honeymoon of a lifetime. I've been talking about it to everyone I know since I got back. They are wonderful, professional people who truly live up to their motto 'lighter, brighter". The only room for improvement is the food.

Oh, and I found 4 bottles!! Look well they are very smartly hidden!

Room Tip: Just go by your budget! The resort itself makes it all worthwhile.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maya M
Dear Maya,

Greetings from the Maldives !

We truly appreciate your recommendation to other travelers. Thank you ! Beside the compliments to the team and the service you have highlighted, your comments on the food and dining experience have been noted for improvements as well. Guest satisfaction has always been the upmost priority to us, so we surely cherish your feedback as it is the only way to keep up the service quality by adjusting the needs and requirements of the guests.

Once again, thank you for the review and good to know you had a lot of fun on the island. I hope we will be able to see you again soon.

Best regards from the tropics,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just back from an amazing but alas, too short, holiday at Lux. At the outset, I will confess that I have unreasonably high expectations and have done some top class holidays to compare, so when I say Lux was outstanding, it really was!

For us the top draws, which means we will in all likelihood go back, were:

1. The kids club: Not enough credit is given to the kids club at Lux. The facility is fantastic as are the staff. Barbara, Azma and Afsha are great with the kids and have plenty of fun activities chalked out. Our 3 year old was unusually fussy, but by day 3, he didn't want to leave. We did the crab hunt on the beach, he went to watch the baby shark feeding, built sandcastles, played teddy tennis (wonderful idea!) and even managed to get himself a date for the screen on the beach screening of finding nemo! That gave us enough time to unwind, try our hand at snorkelling, have my husband do a day long dive course and I even made it to yoga on the beach one evening!

2. The staff: the staff are absolutely lovely. Very friendly and very helpful. A big shout out to soabe at the dive centre for making our 3 year old feel so special. He got to be captain of the glass bottom boat and had a short ride on the jet ski as a special surprise! Thanks to jahangir and raihaan for the endless buggy rides and sobir for the towel art and keeping our room so clean. The staff are incredibly hard working. I didn't see a single staff member faffing at any point but despite that really cheerful.

3. The food: was spectacular! The size of the buffet spread was just right and the ingredients of very superior quality. We have eaten at a number of Michelin star restaurants around the world and can say that each meal at lux was right up there. East was our favourite hands down.

A big thanks to all at lux for the best holiday!

Tips:

We stayed in a beach villa on the sunset side of the island. Worked well for us as we have an early riser and he was on the beach at 7 am every morning building sandcastles! Don't go for the water villas if you have young kids. Beach villas 330-350 are ideal if you have young kids.

Go for the all inclusive package if food and alcohol play a key role in your holidays. Individual prices are high and it all adds up.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank PVenkatesh1
Thank you very much for sharing your holiday experience ! I am truly appreciated your compliments to our team, especially to Barbara, Azma, Afsha, Sobir, Soabe, Raihaan and Jahangir. I will personally make sure they receive the recognition and take the opportunity to encourage our team members to be proud of what we do – helping people celebrate life !

Please do contact us and let us know when you will be back. LUX* Maldives family is very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.

Sincerely yours,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at LUX Maldives for two weeks with our 6 year old son. We had the most amazing holiday and were very sad to come home. When we arrived we were very tired after a long journey, however the beauty of the island completely hits you as you step of the seaplane. As most reviewers have mentioned its the people here that make this place truly special. We had a very warm welcome by the lovely Sonia who informed us of our upgrade to a water villa (we had booked a beach villa). We were very grateful for the upgrade but as I didn't feel I could relax for two weeks with a 6 year old there, we spoke to Nizar the front desk manager who was most helpful and quickly resolved the issue for us. Despite the 100% occupancy he managed to move us the following day to a Beach Villa with Pool which was amazing and perfect for a family. Over the holiday we stayed in two Water Villas, and two Beach Villas (one with a pool) which gave us a wonderful tour of the island. All rooms were just gorgeous, offered privacy with amazing views of the ocean. They were immaculately cleaned twice a day by Shareef and Haasir in housekeeping who also left wonderful animal towel art creations which my son loved.

We stayed All Inclusive which I highly recommend as you don't need to worry about anything. Food is important to us on any holiday and we were amazed by the quality of the restaurants on this island. We loved having the choice of buffet (East was our favourite) and A La Carte (Senses our favourite here the food is outstanding!). Thank you to Daminda and his team at Senses for being particularly sweet with my son, letting him win arm wrestles and also making our last night at LUX so special with a candlelit dinner and flowers on the table. At East bar the team here especially Rup where very friendly and always took the time to talk to us, even letting my son make the pre dinner cocktails each evening. We recommend the Food and Wine night at East and also the Maldivian night at the Kitchen. In the East restaurant where we had breakfast most days the team here were just so lovely and welcoming. The food here is also amazing and the chefs and waiter staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention goes to Imdah who on our first day, completely won over my son with magic tricks, zombie drawings and made him feel so at home. He looked after us for the whole two weeks and was very kind to my little boy.

The beauty of this island is even though it is big and had 100% occupancy it never feels busy. Sometimes you can have the beach to yourself for hours on end. There is also lots to do so it never gets boring. The watersports guys are a great bunch and we loved spending time at the lagoon beach using the facilities there. We recommend complimentary house reef snorkelling trips but also did some of the motorised watersports which was great fun! They really want to ensure you have a great time and make the most of what the ocean has to offer. I also made use of the spa and had some amazing treatments and found the cost good value compared to some places I have stayed previously. A few times my son used the PLAY club and he was looked after well by Amza and Barbara. He particularly enjoyed the Teddy Tennis, Cake Boss and Pirate day (treasure hunt).

It's difficult to keep the review brief as we had such an amazing family holiday and there is so much to talk about. Shaun the General Manager was always around checking and asking how we were finding our stay and if we had any suggestions for improvement. It is difficult to find anything as the place was just perfect for us. The place is breathtakingly stunning and it's the people and the service they provide that makes this island so special. As Shaun and his team were waving us off I was fighting back the tears as it was so sad to leave and we have already promised ourselves that we will return again soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank PTJulie
Dear Julie,

Greeting from the sunny and warm Maldives !

I trust you had a pleasant trip back to England, and everything has been settled back in the city life.

I would like thank you for the amazing review shared on TripAdvisor as your praise to the team members mentioned in the review, Sonia, Nizar, Shareef, Haasir, Daminda, Rup, Imdah, East team and Senses team, is very much appreciated, and that has always been the most valuable reward for everyone. Allow me to say that we are very proud to have a great and truly amazing supportive team devoted to LUX* Maldives. Our team members are the greatest asset for the company, and with their good work, we are able to be standing out from other resorts and hotels in the country. But, of course, I have to thank you and other guests for giving our team the opportunity to be at your service.

Should you confirm the dates of return, please feel free to contact me directly or any of our team members on the island, and we will make sure you and your family will be well looked after prior to your arrival and until departure.

Best regards from the LUX* Maldives family,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

It might be hard to believe, but all the other positive reviews by other people are all true & the experience is unparalleled. We have been to Maldives before but LUX was truly luxurious.
Starting with the warm greeting by Mr Mamoun & his staff as soon as your sea plane touches down till the time you reluctantly board the plane to head back.
The service levels are 7 star, if there is such a thing & its astonishing to see the energy levels of the staff genuinely trying to make your stay a truly memorable one! The island itself is gorgeous, of course, with plenty of clean white sand & brilliantly coloured water surrounding it! But its the little things & gestures which make this place special. Listing out just a few....
- lovely beach cottages with your own stretch of glorious beach & a fantastic outdoor bathroom (yet totally private)
- rooms are cleaned out twice a day, very efficiently
- gorgeous bathroom supplies - fell in love with the body lotion & conditioner (all made using aromatherapy)
- secret bottles with prizes hidden all over the island, my daughter found two! lovely touch
- golfcarts to take you to the various restaurants/spa when you dont feel like walking
- lovely drink stops with cool soft drinks placed at strategic locations around the island to quench your thirst
- a lovely children's club with the lovely Barbra & Asma to keep the kids busy with innovative & eco friendly play!
- a beautiful spa built over water, cant get more relaxing than that!
- the best home-made ice cream in the world! flavours we had never tasted before, sheer genius

I could go on & on, stuff like how the staff cleaned out the beach everyday of sea weed & composted it or the lack of plastic on the resort or the wonderful food in the many restaurants - but I think many reviewers have covered that in detail.

The only negative I would like to mention is the grumpy gentleman at the dive centre - he was quite rude & unfair to us! The only unpleasant experience during our whole stay there!

One word of advise - go all inclusive! it all adds up tin the end. All inclusive here is truly so without the million restrictions that other all inclusive places tend to have. enjoy with peace of mind!

So if you are looking for beauty, relaxation, family friendly, luxurious vacation, dont think twice & go to LUX - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: anyroom you get will have a gorgeous view. The watervillas are great, but if you have kids opt for t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Keyamom
Mamoun and I would like to thank you for sharing your lovely family holiday experience on TripAdvisor. With your positive comments and recommendations to others, our team has been greatly encouraged and motivated, and we will surely keep up the service standards and continuously reach out to the best.

I am so glad that your little one had also enjoyed her time with Barbara and Asma at the Kid’s Club 'PLAY'. I think you will surely agree with me on the saying of “happy children, happy parents!”

We are looking forward to your next visit to our island. Please keep in touch, and should there be anything we could assist you with in the future, we will be very glad to remain at your service.

Best regards to everyone in the family,

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Been at Lux Maldives for a special celebration. From the very moment we landed at Male Airport we felt pampered and spoiled, Staff is friendly, food is good (not always easy to find in Maldives), 5 restaurants on a island is a plus, SPA treatment a must to have ... Water villa is an experience to live,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Gigi180572
Thank you for your wonderful review about our Restaurants and Spa. We are very fortunate to have such an amazing team that help our guests celebrate life. We have shared your kind words with the team members. Wishing you a lovely day.

Yours sincerely,

Thame, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

There is not much I can add to previous reviews, but we chose Lux because of the choice of restaurants and activities, and the large size of the island. It more than lived up to expectation, mainly because all the staff were so unbelievably wonderful and create an atmosphere of cossetting and kindness, mixed in with fun and laughter. This is in addition to the excellent food, amazing rooms and wonderful entertainment. We wanted a large island to give us some variety in locations, however the thing that we hadn't thought of was how a large island means the 300 odd guests are very dispersed - on many occasions we would lie on the most idyllic beach and just wonder where on earth everyone else was! The island keeps you occupied - the fun of finding the secret bar, hidden bottles, yellow bikes - combined with all water sports, boat trips and just plain relaxing. Amazingly after two weeks we could easily have managed a third without getting bored, and this includes our two active teenage daughters. It really is 5 star luxury without the unnecessary frills. Sean and his team at Lux get it so right, from the minute you get off your plane at Male to be met with a wonderful smile and a great air-conditioned lounge, to your departure at the end. We cannot recommend it highly enough, and we have on previous occasions been lucky enough to stay in some fantastic top class places around the world - but Lux blows them all out of the water on a sheer feeling of contentedness whilst there. We spent the first week in a Beach Pavilion, which given it is the lowest grade of room was fabulous, and the second in a water villa which was incredible for the wildlife. We feel like we had two holidays and the best of both worlds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Lucinda M
I am really glad to hear from you again! Thank you the review and sharing your family holiday experience with the readers on TripAdvisor. As the guest satisfaction is the upmost priority of LUX* Maldives, we are delighted and proud that our team had achieved that with you. The best prize has always been nothing but having our guests leave the island with a big smile. Thank you once again for the experience sharing, our team and I are hoping to see you again soon in the future.

With the kind regards from the LUX* Maldives team,

Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,848 reviews

Been to LUX* South Ari Atoll? Share your experiences!