“Lux Maldives - Amazing”

LUX* South Ari Atoll
London, United Kingdom
“Lux Maldives - Amazing”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I'm just checking out now. It's been extremely emotional to leave today. To get to the point, this is very high five star luxury in the Maldives, which is hard to pull off in such a location. They do this by the little things. It's my third time to the Maldives and whilst it's true, unlike Bandos, the isn't a stunning reef right on the beach, it's a little swim out, that's the only shortfall. This is a big island with lots to do. It's really quite brilliantly done - bravo the French owners and Lux Mauritius is right at the top of the list to do now.

So many good touches, popcorn at the beach cinema. The secret bar. The incredible staff,...Francesca the marine biologist whose passion and commitment to the environment (so things such as educating against shark feeding as well as holding great presentations for whale sharks and other sealife), Esther from the Spa - I tried 6 in total, tried everything. But Esther's thai massage I did twice - better than any massage I had in Thailand. Rup from the bar, who is the nicest person, really made us feel special. Alauddin, cheeky and fun with his own signature cocktail. The list goes on and on.

My top tips would be get a beach villa (not pavillion). So you have detached villa ON BEACH. If you want to then split your time and then also get a water villa. I like them both equally for different reasons so it's good to do both.

Get to the movies on the beach 10mins early to snag bean bags, nothing beats lying down watching a film with popcorn and a cocktail.

The Spiderman mocktail is incredible. (I like putting a vodka in it).

Dinner with the chef on Thursday's at Allegria (Italian restaurant, one of the best starters I've ever had, a little pea salad dish) is essential... definitely do it. We were lucky to have this amazingly cool lady over to discuss the food. She works for Lux Nutrition and she was really nice, we had a great atmosphere and then everyone ended up in the little disco partying pretty much all night - yes - got a bit carried away with it all after meeting some cool people. Nice to do that just the once in the two weeks and then float in the sea with a bit of a hangover the next day.

Best beach villas - I think - are around 242. It's close to Veli bar.

Water villas around 135-137 are not sunset, but close to East Bar / kitchen which was good, less remote than the others near Senses (nice restaurant).

Best place to find bottles (little gifts lying around for you to find) is reception, the photobooth etc. Get low and look beneath the green line - the bottles stand out against the brown.

Also - if you get something you don't want, like coffee - they'll swap it for ice cream ! Yellow bikes - learn to find where they are stashed, they are great to get around on.

Walking around the island is just amazing, the missus liked all the weddings going on. And there's resort manager, Mo Mamoun - just walking around, always smiling, happy to help any problem you might have. So if there's something you want or aren't happy with, you'll see him every day or so and you can talk to him and he will get on it straight away.

So that's it - all the advice I have. Oh - other than - my poor missus has still not seen a whale shark - everyone else did but even after 5 trips she still didn't. But one kept hanging around the house reef ... so maybe consider doing more of the house reef trips is you really want to see a whale shark, they're free whereas the whale shark safari is USD80.

We managed to spend less than it would have cost us all inclusive - saved USD500 which we gave as tips.

Outside of 'The Bar', there's a little rock ledge where at night the light shines on it. If you get there for sunset then you can see the baby sharks and a white snapper feeding on the little fish surrounded by crabs. It's really cool ! Might seem like nothing, but there's a few seats outside by the water there and everyone kept coming over to see what was going on there.

Goodbye Lux, one of the few places I've ever left and thought, I really really want to come back to this place, rather than trying somewhere else for something new - I know it will not be as good as here. Just to see Francesca and Rup, and experience amazing service.

Room Tip: We liked 242 beach villa and 137 water villa as great locations.
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart W
LUX_GM, General Manager at LUX* South Ari Atoll, responded to this review, 12 December 2014
Dear Stuart,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make notes on all the wonderful moment you have experienced on the island. The team and I are very much appreciated the feedback you have shared and the supports you have given to us.

Thank you for the compliments to the Francesca, Esther, Rup, and Alauddin. With the hard work and enthusiasm of every individual on the island, I am proud to say that is the reason of LUX* Maldives stands out from the rest of the resorts and hotels in the Maldives.

Should you plan to be back again, please do contact Mamoun or myself. And if you are interested in nutrition on food, you could also visit our properties in Mauritius where our corporate nutritionist, is based in. We are always in contact and have incorporated many a new item to our healthy options in the restaurants.

Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing you again soon.

Best regards from the sunny tropics,

General Manager – LUX* Maldives

'Indian Ocean's Leading Beach Resort', 2014 World Travel Awards
and 'Leading Family Resort', 2014 Maldives Travel Awards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We are coming to the end of our stay at Lux Maldives but we wanted to capture our thoughts which will hopefully will be useful to others.

Following a little confusion at check in things have been absolutely perfect.

The room (villa 322 on the sunset side) is spacious and adjacent to a stunning bit of beach and clear blue sea. The room was kept spotless by room boy Ahmed who is a credit to the resort. He was always friendly and showed a huge amount of passion and dedication in the towel creations he made for us. Thank you Ahmed - it was a pleasure to meet you.

Despite the number of guests on the island it maintains a quiet feel. The food in the buffet as well as the a la carte restaurants was excellent with plenty of choice. There are also multiple places to drink, our favourite being East Bar where Rup provided exceptional service and great conversation.

We never got bored, there being two pools to choose from as well as multiple watersports. The snorkelling off the island was not as good as other resorts we have visited but the house reed trip somewhat makes up for this. Unfortunately we didn't see a whale shark on the excursion we went on.

The additional touches really make the stay, from the red phone box to call home, to the secret bar and the messages in bottles to go looking for (although they are well hidden!)

All in all an exceptional place to spend our holiday.

• Stayed August 2014
LUX_GM, General Manager at LUX* South Ari Atoll, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback online while you are still on the property. It is always wonderful to have our guests enjoy every moment as we know our team appreciates all the kind words towards their hard work.

Thank you again for choosing LUX* Maldives to be the place for your holiday. Should there be anything we could do for you in the future, please feel free to contact us anytime. Ahmed, Rup and the LUX* Maldives team are looking forward to seeing you again on the island.

With the warmest regards from the Indian Ocean,

Richmond, SW London
Reviewed 27 August 2014

beautiful resort and facilities, friendly helpful staff, everything was perfect for me and my teenage sons. we came over just for 3 nights from UK - it was well worth it! diving centre superb and very professional

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank snowflake321
I am very glad to know that the family had plenty of fun as LUX* Maldives is truly a unique and wonderful destination to explore. We are sure that you discovered many beautiful moments on our island and we here should you require some assistance to book another return for your vacation.

Our team and I are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family back.

Sunny regards from all of us,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We visited the Maldives for the first time in July this year and stayed at the Lux on a recommendation from our travel agent. What can I say other than it was fantastic. Not only is the Maldives spectacular but from the time we approached the resort to the time we left we experienced the very best of service and hospitality.
I would recommend the Lux to anyone thinking of going to the Maldives. You should also check out their website for some of the different (but very good) offerings they have on this island resort.
We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Over the water villas are a great way to relax and also you can view the fish from your back balcony...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin J
Dear Gavin,

Thank you for the review and recommendations. We are all very happy to know you had a great time and will be back soon. Please do feel free to be in contact with us should there be anything we could arrange for you prior to your next holiday, as our team will always be here to assist and help you celebrate life !

With the warmest regards,

Coventry.West Midlands. UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I visited the lux for our honeymoon! The Maldives was out final destination after getting married in Italy and then going to Dubai for out first honeymoon location.

Arrived at Lux to a lovely greeting from staff waving to us on the seaplane - greeted by Victoria to go through arrival details etc! Also met by Shaun - Manager which was a welcomed touch.

We opted to stay in a water villa on the east side of the island.

So positives:

Location is truly amazing - exactly what's in the postcard - paradise.
Staff - the vast majority are happy and helpful - Habeeb who looked after our room was amazing and left lots of towel art / champagne and cakes in our room - very nice touch.
Water sports - lots of options and knowledgable staff - we did jet skiing and paddle boarding, we were down to do banana boat but weather meant we couldn't.
Food options - plenty of restaurants to choose from with lots of options. Some places better than others! Our favourite was senses which served Indian cuisine!
The Spa - had 3 hours of amazing treatment at the spa - very professional and excellent standards.

The could be betters:

Honeymoon dinner on beach - due to weather this got moved to east bar - we did get offered the option to rebook but it was our second to last night and we had booked senses for our last night! On arriving at east it didn't feel very organised - we were taken right around the back of the restaurant into what felt like an extension area - a bit gloomy with no ambiance! On the way to the table we walked past a table all dec'd out with flowers and candles and thought we would have the same - this was not the case! We waited 15minutes and I actually had to ask for a drinks menu as was not offered one! It was disappointing as we were not made to feel special and at no point did anyone come over and say ' this is what will happen due to been moved etc'.

Starlight cruise - again communication could of been better during this - we kind of got on sailed off and sailed back - nobody talked through what was going to happen. Also as this is such a romantic idea it would be much better if there was a glass of champagne and maybe canapés! Instead we got a bottle of warm coke.

Room modernisation - appreciate its an island getaway but think the rooms could do with a revamp to be truly 5*.

Peace and tranquility? - the water villas are accessed by a wooden pier which is constructed of wooden slats! On our first night there we jumped out of bed as thought we were in a tsunami - it was In fact one of the golf buggies wizzing past our room - this happened a lot and late at night and early morning - appreciate the rooms need to be serviced but for me this was a real annoyance and something that needs looking at - if I was to ever go back I would not stay In these villas for that reason alone!

Room service - this was at an additional cost to the All inc package - we had breakfast one morning - I was truly disappointed with this, I had eggs Benedict - this was one egg and loads of salad- was quite expensive also so has to be better.

Departure day - Good & Bad:

We were due to check out at 11:00 but out seaplane was not until 16:30 - we asked for a later checkout and the night before we were told we could have the room until 15:00 free of charge! A nice gesture! When we went to check out at 15:00 we were told that the sea planes were cancelled due to the weather and a boat would take us to a domestic airport at 19:30.we were told we could have the room until 19:00 but this meant a long walk in the rain back to the room - notification before hand would of been ideal. The boat trip itself was the scariest experience of my life! Pitch black - little communication - massive waves! Not Lux fault but someone to travel with to explain what was happening until we were at Male would of helped as again felt unsure at many points of what was happening!

Message in a bottle - this is a really good idea however a few mysterious clues would make it even better! We only found bottles as we were helped by staff - a treasure map etc would add to the idea.

Secret bar - we did find this bar - however it had no alcoholic drinks in it which was very disappointing.

All in all I would say that Lux is 4.25* - for me it is just little touches that are needed to make it amazing! I may be being harsh as I have to compare service/ standards to Dubai where we visited beforehand and Dubai was some way ahead!

Shaun did say he was new to the resort so sure he will solve all the little issues! I would recommend to friends with the above advice but would probably try a different resort myself if I was to return to the Maldives.

Mike

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike24_24
Dear Mike,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with me as well as posting the review online. The weather was certainly a little special during the last few nights prior to your departure, however it was reassuring to know that overall you had a great time on the island. Nature has a wonderful way to show the beauty of Maldives.

Every single point you have highlighted in the review and addressed to me directly has been noted as we as a team have been working on how we could improve these areas and uplift the experience for our guests.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank you once again for the constructive feedback and sincere comments. And I hope one day you will still consider coming back for another visit to LUX* Maldives as we would like to show case how we make each moment matter by listening to the needs of our guests and cherish their experience because this is the only way of keeping up the service quality and striving for the best.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had an excellent holiday 7 night stay here - highly recommend although 10 nights would have been even better!
The resort is BEAUTIFUL and the staff were EXCEPTIONAL - really friendly & helpful.
We had a beach villa on the east side which was gorgeous (and less windy)
Restaurants did their best to cater for vegetarian - had the BEST veggie Japanese meal thanks to chef Allen.
Senses was also a beautiful setting & Italian was delicious too!
Special thanks to Karthik & Jonathan who were wonderful too in helping with the cusine needs.
The SPA treatments were just heavenly so did LOTS & special mention to YAMI who was absolutely fantastic & looked after all 3 of us so have 9yr old hooked on massages too!
Recommend all inclusive from the beginning as best value - pricey otherwise.
Only regret - didn't end up doing the whale shark safari - an excuse to go back
Still missing it very much!!

Room Tip: beach villa
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shas00
Your title of your review “Food for the Soul - Total Chill Out” is great and we had the pleasure to share your kind words with the team that made it possible.

Please do come back again and join our whale shark safari with our on-site marine biologist, Francesca. There is still much more on the island for everyone in your family to explore as we are continuously looking at ways to create more activities.

We are really glad to learn you had enjoyed your family holiday with us and would also like to thank you for sharing your feedback to the world on TripAdvisor. Karthik, Yami, Chef Jonathan and Chef Allen will be looking forward to welcoming you back again so does the entire LUX* Maldives team. So please do not hesitate to contact any of us should there be anything we could be at your service in the future.

With the very warm regards from the Indian Ocean,

ENGLAND
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We chose the Lux Maldives resort for our honeymoon based on numerous positive Tripadvisor reviews, as well as other research. It wasn't the cheapest resort in the Maldives but certainly proved to be one of the best.

Having never been to the Maldives before, and having only seen it on films, in books, articles, the web, etc. The resort lived up to the expectations we had....white sandy beaches, turquoise water, wonderful fish, lazing in hammocks, endless cocktails :)

We arrived at the resort following an 18 minute internal flight from the domestic terminal at Male international airport to the local airport on a nearby island, followed by a 10 minute speedboat ride to the resort. Note there is an alternative sea plane option, but this is more expensive. However it's quicker at approx 25 minutes, plus there's no waiting around for internal flights, transfer to speedboat, luggage, etc.

On arrival at Lux you're greeted by a welcoming committee of friendly, smiling, waving crew who then take each couple / family along the jetty to reception to check them in. Check-in was smooth and efficient, with each party being seated on separate settee's whilst various forms are filled in, and information about the resort is provided. During this time the new arrivals are given a glass of cool cucumber water which I have to say was rather yummy! It was then off for the short walk across another jetty to our water villa.

We had chosen a standard water villa, which was located on the sunrise side of the.island. The villa consisted of:
- a large bedroom with a super king sized 4 poster bed, 2 huge wardrobes, iPod Dock, flat screen tv and DVD player, a fully stocked minibar, double doors onto the decking and numerous different lighting configurations
, a large outdoor decked area (half of which was undercover...providing shade plus shelter if it rains) with sun loungers plus a table and chairs, and steps down directly into the ocean. There was also an outdoor shower which was useful for rinsing off the salt after a quick dip or snorkel off the back of the villa
- a bathroom split into a toilet (with sea and bath views!), his and hers sinks, and a wet room with both shower and bath. This had opening doors to the decking (which made showering semi-naturale fantastic), plus double opening windows next to the bath too (again giving a great view of the ocean)

There are "Prestige" water villas on the sunset side of the island, but having looked around one on our last day we were pleased with our original choice. These premium villas have a larger bathroom and a glass panel in the floor to see the fish beneath but that seemed to be about it. The outside area wasn't as big, as the space had been used to create the bigger bathroom in the villa, so as we experienced a couple of days of rain this would've provided no outside area to sit out on during this,

Our room attendant, Jaufar, was superb. He couldn't do enough for us, making us laugh every time he saw us, keeping the room spotlessly clean, and providing us with many wonderful towel creatures every day.....including a crocodile, butterfly, manta ray, and our favourite a monkey :) If you get him, then you know you're going to have fun!

The food was lovely in all restaurants and bars, be that paninis in the Lagoon Bar, a burger in Veli bar, a buffet in Island Kitchen or East restaurant, or A La Carte in Senses or Allegria. Our favourite was Allegria (Italian), although Senses (Indian) came a close second. Having stayed and dined on three all inclusives before I was a little apprehensive as to the quality of the food, and particularly the buffets, although I have to say the food really was first class.

Breakfast could be taken in one of two restaurants each morning, and you really are spoilt for choice. Crepes, Asian soups, omelettes, continental meats, juices, pastries, hot items, yogurts, fruits, etc.

Lunch could be taken at one of four restaurants...one buffet, and the rest chosen from different menus. Having dined in all of them during our stay I don't think there's a poor choice to be had anywhere on the island. Jamiz, the manager of the lagoon bar, was particularly helpful in ensuring service was efficient, food served quickly, etc.

Dinner is one of two A La Carte restaurants or two buffets. Note note all of these are available every evening, as some are closed or you have to pay extra for a themed evening even if on All Inclusive. The buffets had different themes in each every evening eg one was Mexican and one French, but even so there was always a wide choice of excellent food to choose from.

Drinks if on all inclusive were as plentiful as you wanted, be that wine by the glass or the bottle, cocktails, spirits or just soft drinks. All cocktails and spirits were main brands, not "local specialities". Highly recommend the cocktails! There were some of their own house wines called Scrucap, all of which were South African, and again very drinkable.

Based on a rough calculation we were definitely better off going All Inclusive, with a bottle of wine and a few cocktails every day plus food. However it depends on how much and what you like to eat / drink a to whether it will be better off for you. We met people who had gone half board but then with a couple of glasses of wine were at the same spending level as us, yet were having to be careful not to spend a fortune. We were happy knowing we didn't have to worry about what we ate or drank in the fear of running up a huge bill....remember the Maldives don't have a cheap a corner shop for you to nip out to!

We can't comment on the entertainment particularly as we didn't see much of it, although there was live music in at least one of the bars every evening....karaoke too now and again if you're a Pop Idol wannabe!

The screen on the beach was fun, with popcorn, drinks and beanbags under the stars.....just a shame it was inland rather than on the beach. Guests have the chance to vote for which films are shown on the day proceeding each showing. There's a kids film earlier in the evening too.

Our personal thanks also goes to Shaun Dunhofen and Martin Kocourek, who were both superb following a minor mishap during our stay. Both should be highly commended for their high level of customer service. In fact the day after the mishap, there was a management "meet and greet" with guests (something the resort does a couple of times a month), and on talking to some of the other senior members of staff, they also knew about our minor issue as they'd discussed it at their daily management meeting (which shows the management team are committed to providing the highest level of customer care).

We were lucky enough to experience the Spa twice during our stay, once as part of the honeymoon package and once as my wife found a message In a bottle. The honeymoon package entitled us to a 45 minute couples full body massage, which took place in one of the 4 spa water villas, followed by time in the outdoor spa pools, sauna and steam room. Our second visit was courtesy of finding a "message in a bottle" (so keep your eyes peeled), which entitled my wife to a 1/2 hour back or foot massage, which she enjoyed greatly.

Whilst there are almost certainly better "house reefs" at other resorts, the one at Lux isn't dreadful. The main house reef requires a 10 minute boat ride out into the ocean, and meaning everyone has to pass a simple snorkelling test first before they are allowed to go. Free one hour trips to the reef run once a day alternating between morning and afternoon. The main reef's deep quite deep and has a mixture of different fish. However I have to say the reef off the back of the water villas was far superior, with just as many if not more fish, more beautiful coral AND just inches below where you're snorkelling.

If you're going on honeymoon make sure you take your marriage certificate with you to prove it, and you'll get the following benefits....a candlelit meal on the beach, a sarong, a massage for two, a cocktail making class and a starlight cruise. All of which are definitely worth having.

Checkout was soooo early (4.15am wake up call and baggage collection from your room) for us to make the 10am Emirates flight to Dubai. This meant that it was too early for a proper breakfast and so it was coffee, pastries and fresh fruit whilst waiting for the 5.30am speedboat to the nearby airport. If possible take a later flight so it doesn't spoil your day.

In summary would we:
- recommend Lux Maldives to others, YES,
- change our room type from a standard water villa, NO,
- change from All-inclusive to another meal plan, NO,
- return in the future, YES, although there are so many other wonderful places we'd love to see in the world.

Room Tip: Sunrise water Willa's are superb
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank BECKS777
It is great to hear from you ! Thank you for sharing your honeymoon experience as well as giving the hotel information to other travelers in such great details. Your comments will certainly assist many of our guests-to- be before their visits.

Thank you once again for being the LUX* Ambassador. I have highlighted your review to the team again and encouraged everyone to keep up their good work. I would like to use this opportunity to thank our team as well for what they have achieved for the guests and the company. Without any of them, LUX* Maldives would not be able to provide these tremendous level of services to our guests.

The team and I could not thank you enough for the time you have spent on writing the review and praising the time you have experienced on our island. Should there be anything we could assist in the future, please do not hesitate to be in touch with any of us. We will always be available to be at your service.

On behalf of Jaufar, Martin and the LUX* Maldives team, we are looking forward to hearing from you and welcoming you again soon !

With the warm and sunny regards,

General Manager – LUX* Maldives
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,093 reviews

Been to LUX* South Ari Atoll? Share your experiences!