We chose this resort for the first week of our honeymoon. It is one of the smaller, more unspoilt and under developed islands in the Maldives and it is for this reason it owes a lot of it's charm. You can walk around the whole thing in about 40 minutes. There is one tiny ugly industrial dock part of it at the end nearest the airport, which is a necessary evil but apart from that it is beautiful. Be careful you do not get charged for the bus and boat transfer from Male airport if it has all been included though, which we nearly did, but the staff soon sorted it out.
The staff are another reason this resort is so good. They are so friendly, I did not come in contact with one grumpy one the whole time. You end up building up a report with your waiter and other key members which makes it feel like a home from home. We had all inclusive and as long as you are careful to stick to the drinks included on the list I think this is well worth it. There is one big main restaurant and you sit in the same place with the same waiter every night. It is a lovely airy space with good views and I thought the wide choice of food was excellent. You have lots of scope to go plan or spicy or healthy or indulgent and all really fresh and satisfying.
The accommodation itself was a really pleasant surprise. We had researched it thoroughly before we went and the photos and reviews made it seem that the little bungalows might have been a bit of a compromise. But we thought they were excellent. Really large clean and bright. Cleaned two times a day. Excellent air conditioning and lighting and fan options. A little TV with some good movie channels. A large bathroom and the option of a private outdoor shower, which we ended up using more, just for the novelty of being under the palm trees. A good size fridge and mini bar with water and soft drinks replenished daily. Each bungalow has 2 loungers and 2 chairs for your patio area and leads directly to your own little slice of the amazing white sand beach and turquoise sea. You definitely do not miss a pool.
The large friendly airy bar is fantastically situated for the best views and has we if and you can while away the hours playing board games, playing pool and sipping cocktails. In the evening they have a different entertainment each night, from Karaoke to jugglers, acoustic singers, crab racing to traditional dancers. You can get involved as much or as little in these and it is so relaxed I felt very uninhibited. You can even try a flavoured shish pipe. It was May so we did have one day of rain and a few passing storms, but this in no way spoils it. It is humid tropical heat and be careful of the mosquitoes but the gardens and grounds are really lovely to walk round.
We had a day trip to its sister island Sun Island which is far bigger and more commercial. You can hire a bike and go round it for a fun day trip. It does have a very nice pool, but we ended up coming away feeling we preferred our little Holiday Island as it felt more private and special. So all in all this is an excellent honeymoon and couples relaxing destination. Oh I nearly forgot to mention one of the best things. If you do go here, make sure you use the Spa. We splashed out for a couples treatment. It was so tranquil, the massage and charming staff in the most stunning setting of gardens and gentle fountains with gentle piped music is an experience we will never forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Holiday Island Resort & Spa, the rush of time slows. The crystalline seas and soft, sandy shores remain as nature made them, beckoning guests to one of the world’s last unspoiled paradises. Shape your dream holiday at this secluded Maldives beach hotel, where pristine beauty, personalized service and modern indulgences have formed a retreat of unparalleled allure. Explore the underwater treasures of one of the world’s premier dive locations. Sip a cocktail on your private terrace as you watch the sun dip below the horizon. Or simply lounge on the white coral sand and soak up the radiant sun. Escape to this tranquil, wonderfully relaxed choice of Maldives beach resorts, and discover a tangible embodiment of your ideal tropical paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelbag, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holiday Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Island Resort And Spa
- Holiday Island Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Hotel Holiday Island
- Holiday Island Maldives
- Holiday Island Resort Maldives