“Realistic Paradise”
Review of Asdu Sun Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Asdhoo Island
Asdu Sun Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Asdhoo Island
Florence
“Realistic Paradise”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Without going into the usual superlatives bestowed upon the lovely Maldives, I will just say that Asdu is a good resort for a first trip to the Maldives. The whole island has a very 'village' atmosphere, laid-back and informal. Time seems to pass by slowly, and that actually isn't a bad thing if you want to take a break from the frenetic modern city lifestyle. Seemingly mundane activities like watching the sunset and gazing at the stars can be stunningly significant and meaningful. Cast aside your compulsions of checking emails, downloading apps (for those with an iPhone, iPad, or Android device) and needing to do something all the time. This is a place for relaxing and living the life we used to have as a child - simple and carefree.

I'll start with the bad. A lot of people already mentioned this - the lack of hot water for shower, no TV and no aircon in the room. For the latter two, I'm actually glad for their absence. TV signifies a part of city noise for me, and aircon makes me sick. Hot water, however, would have been appreciated. I was at Asdu in late January and the week was blessed by sunny, warm weather. Despite this, I felt that the water was a little cold. It took time to get used to. What if it was a rainy, cloudy week? I doubt that the water would seem so refreshing. I come from a tropical, very hot and humid country and I've always showered with hot water mixed with lukewarm water. Contrary to popular beliefs, I know.

We had the misfortune and adventure of having a few cockroaches and beetles enter in our room by chance (we asked around and none of the other guests seemed to have the same problem), and frankly, the sight of a cockroach moving its antenna in the middle of the room after dinner kinda put me off. I like nature, but I've always thought that cockroaches were something else altogether.

Now the good stuff. The great, friendly, and helpful staff. They all work extremely long hours and are so kind and funny. I think they deserve a few days off every month. They are the 'stars' of the resort; they make things flow and their hospitality contributes to the nice atmosphere.

The resort is surrounded by beautiful shallow lagoons all around, and there are high and low tides. I found it a little windy most of the time, and the currents were quite strong for snorkelers without fins. There are little fishes that jump in the air when predators attack, and it makes for a real spectacle when this happens (frequently, mostly at sunset). The house reefs are quite easily accessible, and there are plenty of colorful fishes. Kayaks are available for free at the beach, and we did a complete turn of the island.

Don't expect a mega buffet for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is an ordinary run of toasted bread, milk, coffee/tea, and a pastry that changes from day to day (eg. pancakes, buns). Lunch and dinner are subject to queuing up as the food is limited in variety. Rice, spaghetti, fish, vegetables, salad and bread are certainties. Every three days there is also a dessert, and thank all your gods and deities when that happens because it's a real rarity. It usually gives me a stomachache, but I eat it in any case.

The cacophony of crows and free-roaming roosters will keep you up all night and day, so I recommend a set or two of ear plugs.

In a nutshell, Asdu is a great place for travelers who are a little tight on the budget. You won't mind the things you'll miss out on, because, really, when you are in a fantastic place like this, swimming with fishes all day, what's there to complain about?

Just choose a good month to go and life's good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kittykyky

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This island is a simple place with no cars, no motorbikes only transportation your feet. Acceptable food and outstanding service. Diving and fishing great. But bring your hardhat to avoid the coconuts :-)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank 9mbus
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 23 October 2011

On my first visit to the Maldives, my girlfriend and I visited Asdu. The resort offers a laid-back atmosphere with good service and rustic accommodation and is in my opinion perfect for a simple beach holiday. There is no aircon and no hot water, but in hindsight, I would not have wanted it any other way. The manager told me that they are under pressure from the Maldivian authorities to improve on their amenities and rooms, but they are trying to keep it just the way it is, which is the way it was...

The island measures 300m by 100m and can cater for about 50-60 guests. Meals are served in an open dining area, where you have a specific table allocated to you for the duration of your stay. The food was varied and interesting and we never left the table unsatisfied. It was nice to get to know some of the other guests (whom are mostly Italian). There is no entertainment available (which was great!), but we played volleyball daily at 4 pm with the staff and some of the other guests. After dinner, it was always a pleasure to chat to Wasantha, the friendly barman. The drinks were reasonably priced, but the selection was limited.

Like most of the Maldives, the island is surrounded by a coral reef. Most of our days were spent snorkelling and I found it incredible to free dive down along the reef - in some places it drops vertically from 3m to 30m. There is a very safe and beautiful coral pool to the north-west of the island, about 50 m from the beach. It is about the size of a half-size Olympic swimming pool and about 6m deep. It is only accessible through a small channel in the coral, but if you go looking for it, you will find it. You cannot go to Asdu and not snorkel! The underwater visibility and marine life is incredible.

We expected ants and mosquitoes to be a problem, but we found that they fumigate the shrubs once a week and they supply mozzie coils in the rooms. Typical to Tripadvisor, some people complain about the mozzies, others about the fumigation. We found neither to be of inconvenience, but take some repellent to be safe.

The only negative experience we had was with our boat transfer. Our flight landed at 09:00 am, but we had to wait for another couple whose flight was delayed to only arrive at 12:30, before we could depart from the airport. A slight inconvenience, but nobody's fault. That's travelling. The speedboat transfer takes about an hour and is very scenic. A seaplane hop would have been nice, but is probably not worth the price for such a short trip.

There are some chickens with attitude running around on the island, the flying foxes are something to see and at night time, some jungle noise take over. It all adds to the charm.

When I return to the Maldives, I will try to visit another island as well, but I will definitely return to Asdu too. Apparently you can get more for your money at some of the bigger resorts with spas and bands, but the question is, do you really want to?

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Gerhard_Lourens
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We have stayed at Asdu three times over the last few years. It is cheap, friendly and quiet. No tv's, no air con, no hot water, but it is real. You don't feel you're being conned by a big international company. It is one of the oldest resorts and is run by a maldivian.... that is to say it is very relaxed. The house reef is like no other in the area and totally unspoilt. usually one pays a huge amount of money for the benefit of sharing an island with very few people, last week we shared the whole island with 9 other guests. It is a castaway island. One is not endlessly pampered with western comforts. The chickens that run around the island add to the charm. If you want tv's, fresh towels every 5 minutes and a sterile environment, don't go. If you want peace, a taste of the real maldives, excellent but simple food, educated guests and excellent value for money, go.

Room Tip: room 111 is the best on the island
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank efw810
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed at Asdu a few years ago with a friend of mine, and after seeing some of the negative reviews here on Tripadvisor, I felt compelled to write my own. As one can tell from the website and affordable prices (most resorts in the Maldives are significantly more expensive), the Asdu resort is very minimal. That is part of its charm. On this small island you will not find manicured flora, or luxurious villas set out above the water. The point of the resort is to keep the island as natural as possible, without damaging its beauty. If you are looking for something extravagant and fancy, go stay at the four seasons. If you want to feel like youre on a tropical island by yourself in the middle of nowhere, stay at Asdu.

I also found the staff a great balance between being friendly and helpful, but not too invasive. They were willing to take us out snorkeling or sailing, but left us to relax on the beach when we wanted some down time.

The food was a great mix of Italian and local Maldivian food. If you got up early enough you could see the fisherman bringing in that day's catch - which you would be eating at lunch and dinner.

The villas are very basic, but again, that's the point. I completely loved staying at Asdu, and I always recommend it to people who want to visit the Maldives but are not interested in going to one of the big fancy resorts with hundreds of people, screaming children, and in-your-face service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank kaitlinb
Saint-Blaise, France
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Asdu sun Island is a very simple resort on a marvelous island, you eat excellent food and service is excellent too (personel very sympathic). Ambiance is simple, not snob. You can see very easily marine life while snorkeling and diving is possible too. We highly recommand this resort for little budgets
Nathalie & Alain

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nath_p66
florence
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I've stayed there in January with friends and all our kids (5). The rooms are very very basic, not even warm water, but we didn't care at all. Food is simple too, but fresh and well done, waiters are nice and smiling all the time even with our excited kids. Beaches are beautiful and almost desert. If you don't care to find international buffet or music after dinner and you're just looking for a quite place to relax, swim and enjoy the view, this is the place.
The only bad note are the owners, really rude (rare for maldivians!), never smiling, never friendly. They should be more relaxed living in such a paradise all year long!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Season Paradise
Season Paradise
#1 of 1 in Thulusdhoo Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island

Been to Asdu Sun Island? Share your experiences!