“A wonderful essential paradise”
Review of Asdu Sun Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Asdhoo Island
Asdu Sun Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Asdhoo Island
Milan
“A wonderful essential paradise”
Reviewed 22 June 2009

First time in Maldives, it was a dream becomes true when I saw first time the island. So small...I felt to be as in movie (Cast away?) and immediatly I felt to be in heaven. White sand, turquoise sea and high palm trees.
A breathly wind was surronding all the time, to refresh a while in sunny days.
Ok, bungalows are quite old and up-to-date, no hot water (do you really need??), buffet not so much fully improved and no nightlife at all. But....who cares?
What I liked more is the essential lifestyle. No TV, no radio, mobile coverage if you really want to be connected (damn, in vacation?) and internet connection if you want/need.
For the rest, relax at all. Sun, sea, beach, colored fish everywhere, birds screaming all the time, some bats on sunset. For a while I'm back to the past, when we were young and we enjoyed with few things.
Ask yourself what you really want from your vacation and if answer is relax and enjoy nature, this is right place. This is not a 5-star hotel: here all is essential and enough what you need for your vacation. You need more? Go to other places, internet is helpful for this.
All staff is quite nice, always smiling and improving help. If you smile back, you have best deal. I played so hard with them in volleyball (the only free time for them) and I received all best friendship.
Diving is good, instructor is quite nice and competent. But sea does the rest.
Sharks, Napoleon fish and manta...oh my God!! What wonderful watch.
Yes, complaining a while the nature, where in early morning birds start to scream so hard you can't sleep at all. But...it's nature. And I recommend earplugs ;-))
My wife and my friends completed vacation in perfect way. Always smiling and laughing, never complain of everything and even something was not in right way...relax, you are in vacation!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank DMG32

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
usk south wales
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Stayed there last week

Points for the Island:-
a if you are obsessive about pasta and rice- great
b if you are obsessive about Italians and speak Italian-great
c clean & tidy
d staff usually ok but sometimes pushy for tips(see below)
e nice beaches
f no mosi bites

points against:-
cold showers reminds me of school
pasta and rice unless you are obsesive about it
the rooms are semi detached and are constructed of brick up to about 8 ft and then wooden lattice work. You can hear almost everything that goes on in the ajoining room.In our case the there was a guy who snored so loudly that his gilfriend wore earplugs. We didnt have that luxury but when we eventually got to sleep the birds on the island would start screaching at about 3am usually outside your door. The island is only small.The birds would also wake up the chickens who would then join in.I didnt get one good nights sleep.

Eventually moved to another room.THe Italian next door decided that he liked to talk to his family and friends at 1.30 AM (about 8.30pm in Italy) Only when we threatened to castrate him
did he see the errorof his ways.

Dive staff were ok .The diving was not particularly exciting and not cheap.Remember you will always be diving to the standard of the lowest qualified diver which usually means the easies dive sites.

One point that annoyed me on the last night was tha the guy serving the drinks brought a glass of red wine with a moth doing the back stroke in it.I sent it back and its obvious that the guy just took the moth out and send the drink back .There was still dust off the moths wings on top of the drink.Sent it back again and a new glass was produced.The explanation was that the cork cause the problem!

If you do go to the Island please show him this as the drink was expensive for him as the tip I was going to give went back in my pocket.

The speed boat -not cheap at about £110 return.You have to fit in with other persons going to the airport from Asdu.In our case we were deposited at the airport at 7.45 am our flight left at 1.35 pm.We couldnt check in our luggage untill 11.30.I really enjoy spending the last 6 hours of my holiday hanging around the airport just to accomodate the hotel management

I would recomend the Island to my worst enemy!

• Liked — the lizard that came in every night looking for insects to eat -cheeky littlechap/lady
  • Disliked — cold showers and the guy that snored next door
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
11 Thank towserusksouthwales
saci1975
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Asdu Resort is a great place to visit Maldives for the first time, if you are on a budget holiday.The bungalows could be better, but they are clean, cleaned every day.
No bugs, sometimes a few ants here and here. The beach is beautiful, clean, the resort is cleanes every day. There are chickens, and roosters that can be a little too noisy in teh morning, and some birds, but they are a part of the resort's character.
Staff extremely friendly, meals are abundant, and there is always enogh food for everyone.
Bar could be improved, while we were there, there was no white rum, so the coctails were limited to those not requiring white room.
All in all, the resort is well worth the money, the speed boat from the airport to the resort is fantastic, speedy ride, nothing to be afraid of if you can do without luxury and tons of people around you.Perfect site to relax your body and mind.

• Liked — Very few tourists, you can have the beach for just yourself
  • Disliked — Bungalows could be a little more fancy, and more coctails please
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saci1975
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Where to begin. I stayed there in March and was so excited to finally travel to my dream destination. But, my excitement quickly faded when I saw the island. Its filthy! Looks like it hasnt been properly groomed in years, which is not what you want when you think of a beautiful tropical island. The water is nice, but hello you are in the Maldives the water is going to be nice. The food is horrible. You shouldnt have to fight to eat. Its first come first serve and if you dont get any guess what? You go hungry because you are on an island. The staff was not helpful, borderline rude. The game room is a joke, a ping pong table isnt a game room! Theres nothing to do on the island but swim and even that gets old after 2 weeks. I guess thats what the dirty chickens are for. They give you something to chase. Seriously, I felt robbed after leaving and even discussed my disappointment with the management who didnt care. He was just happy he got his money. DO NOT STAY HERE! Meeru is right across the way and thats where we wanted to stay but it was booked. Its the same price but from what I heard its like a real resort and not some crappy old dirty motel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
15 Thank angeleyes027
London
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I completely disagree with the majority of reviews on this site. Although I stayed here a while ago I had nothing but an amzaing experience. No there is no hot water and no air conditioning but that is not needed considering you have the sea to cool you down all around!
On arrival from being picked up by boat we were greeted with cocktails and shown to our villa with lunch awaiting us. All the food was fresh fish, admittedly not much variation from day to day but there was always fresh fruit, pasta, rice and breakfast was lovely - tea, coffee, juice, fruit, cake, toast and a different dessert everyday.
We were offered fresh cococnut as we relaxed on the beach, learnt to dive - safely, went nightfishing, trip to another island organised for us, and plenty of good snorkelling. They took us out to the sandbar and played music and sang and danced for us and served us breakfast at 4am before our trip by boat back.
No it isn't luxurious but you don't go to the Indian Ocean to snorkel and swim in a hotel pool and sit on a lounger all day - otherwise just go to your nearest hilton or the costa del sol.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nataliecdavies
California
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I just returned from the Maldives and stayed at 3 different resorts and Asdu was the worst by far. The island is totally unkept and theres shrub everywhere along with chickens running around. Where to begin with the horrible food. I felt like I was in prison the way they serve the food. Its basically first come first serve and when they run out its gone. And, breakfast is a piece of bread and a piece of fruit. I literally had to steal bananas because I got so hungry between lunch and dinner. They dont even allow you to get your own coffee, they walk around with it so that you cant get your own. The staff was totally unfriendly, maybe because they know they work at the worst resort in all of Maldives. The manager was the rudest person I have ever met traveling. We woke up early the morning we were supposed to leave and he told us that the boat had already left and we would have to wait until the next day. Which meant we had to pay for another night only to be told that we had to leave at 5am the next day because that was the only transfer time and he didnt even so sorry. The other 2 resorts were MUCH BETTER I dont know how asdu stays in buisness??

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank olivetribe
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2006

It’s like a bad dream come true when you land on this island. The first thing you notice is the bad smell and the chickens running around the island (not a good thing in a world threatened by bird flu). There is no pool or a nice bar where you can sit, relax and watch the sunset - like at normal resorts. There are hardly any activities offered, maybe because there are hardly any people on the island so why should anyone bother organising anything. The Lonely Plant described this island as easy going and in need of a facelift – a huge understatement – it needs a complete re-construction and new staff.
During our stay in mid April the island was surrounded by large schools of tiny fish just near the beach which was interesting for a while but only until we noticed an unpleasant smell coming from the millions of fish.
The coral around the island is mostly dead, you need to dive to see any good coral.
The dinner is acceptable but only if you eat fish, the lunch is bit poor and the breakfast is a joke.
I wouldn’t recommend this island. If you want to stay in this area choose Meeru Island, it’s also a budget island resort (not as bad as Asdu) and it offers many activities, you can walk along the beach and even have a drink in style near the pool next to the beach. I have been on 5 island resorts in Maldives and Asdu is absolutely the worst one (don't confuse this island with Sun Island Resort).

• Stayed April 2006
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Asdu Sun Island? Share your experiences!