“Amazing honeymoon experience”

Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Planning a honeymoon is hard, and the destination possibilities are quite endless. We definitely made the right choice by picking FS Landaa Giraavaru for ours! From our arrival to the open air, dreamy lobby, to our sad departure from this heaven, everything was beyond perfect. We stayed at a Sunrise Water Bungalow. These bungalows are fairy spatious, and gorgeous all around. The best thing is-they are private, and from what we notice, the overall accomodationoions on the island are pvery private; perfect for when you want that secluded moment with your significant other!

When you want to be out and about, there are a couple of dining and bar options. You don't want to miss the gorgeous sunset from either the Seabar or Blu Bar-and try a few of the signature cocktails while you are there! We loved Blu's a la carte dining option too. We only got to try two of the buffets (Indochine and Fisherman's Night) simply because there are just too many different dining options aside from these buffets. I especially recommend Fisherman's Night.

As expected from any Four Seasons Resort or Hotel, our stay was very personalized. Almost all of the staff know your name and make the best effort to make you feel like you were the only people on this big island--which we did! You will most surely get pampered! If you would like to feel more pampered, try the Spa (hint hint: The spa pavillions are built on water, gorgeous!). It is one of the best, if not the best luxury spas I have been to around the world. Though, if you are fair skinned and likely to get sunburnt in all shades of red despite the sunscreen like I do, don't forget to book your appointment (I highly encourage you to try a couple of different treatments here, you won't regret it) in the first few days of your arrival because you will not want to cancel any of these heavenly treatments for this reason (they do have an amazing cooling wrap for sunburn though)! Also, the spa is very popular so try to book ahead and do try the new night spa. We couldn't try it this time, but hopefully we will when we go back (which we plan to for sure!)

Lastly, if you are there in the right season--don't miss seeing the Mantas who like to hang around in the island's vicinity!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chemicalstar
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear chemicalstar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your recent visit; it was a pleasure having you stay with us and I was delighted to know how much you enjoyed your time on the island. It is nice to know how personalised your stay was, the team will be very happy to know what a positive impression they made on your experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Maldives soon again for more great food and pampering visits to the Spa.

Martin Cody

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have just returned from a brief 3 day visit to the Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru with my family. They have created the most beautiful paradise escape. The trip was phenomenal, the resort is perfection. They have managed to achieve the perfect balance of total luxury and island life, keeping everything in sync with the surrounding nature. The staff are friendly and accommodating to everything you need. We stayed in a beach villa which is fabulous, it’s spacious, with its own pool and beach access, enabling you total privacy and seclusion if you want it. One of the most exciting things, for my brother and father at least, was the personalized bicycles that everyone is allocated to get yourself around the island at your own leisure. It is a fantastic idea, allowing everyone complete freedom to explore all the facilities and also providing endless amusement as my bike riding skills weren’t quite up to scratch. The new beach bar is an absolute asset to the resort. It is set literally hanging over the sea, with a view that cannot be beaten and at night with sharks and sting rays swimming beneath your feet. I could write forever more on the sheer beauty of this place, but I think you can gage that I think this place is bliss and everything you could want from a beach holiday. I must also mention that we did a 3 day cruise on the Four Seasons Explorer, which despite being a non-scuba diving family, was an experience of a lifetime. Once again the staff were impeccable and made our stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rohana S

Dear Rohana S,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your family during your recent stay and I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your time at Landaa Giraavaru as well as your cruise on the Four Seasons Explorer.

The bicycles have become an intrinsic part of our guests stay, they take simple pleasure in the freedom to cycle all over the island. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

If there is was paradise on Earth than you have to go no farther than the Islands of Maldives. The Four Season Resort Kihava whatever I say will not do justice to it, The stay right from our check in was just fabulous and resort itself is amazing. The highlight of our stay was the over the water bungalow which was very private and the view of the ocean was just serene. I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MartinCody, Assistant Director of Rooms at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2014

Good afternoon,

It has been a while since we had the pleasure to welcome you to our little paradise Landaa Giraavaru.

We thank you for the feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Andrea Ramseyer
Executive Office

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I’ve just returned from a 10 day visit to Four Seasons Landaa Giravaaru (FSLG) with my husband and 7 year old daughter. This is our third visit to the Maldives but the first to FSLG. Prior to this we have stayed at Shangri La Villingilli and Four Seasons Kuda Huura – both of which were beyond fabulous so LG had a tough act to beat. In a nutshell, I would highly recommend this resort to anyone wishing to have a restful, fun and simply wonderful vacation in the Maldives from honeymooners to families with kids of all ages. It has something for everyone. It is pure luxury but of an understated, elegant kind – not flashy or over the top. The resort has a natural, laid-back vibe with stellar staff who are unfailingly warm, helpful and polite and go out of their way to make sure you have the holiday of your dreams. The sea life here is also incredible. It has a good house reef (we always saw plenty of colourful fish, a turtle, baby sharks, stingrays, squid and an eagle ray) and its proximity to Hanifaru Bay, which is where manta rays and whale sharks congregate at certain times of year is one of its major strong points.

Arrival

On arriving at Male, a FS representative takes you by car, the short distance to the Seaplane Lounge (which is light, airy, very comfortable and kid friendly). I’m scared of flying and was dreading the seaplane ride but it was so smooth and I was very distracted by the incredible view. You land near a small jetty and are whisked away by speedboat to the resort. Because we had an uncharacteristic delay waiting for the seaplane at Male, on arriving at LG we were taken straight to our villa rather than checked in at reception. We had booked a Beach Bungalow with Pool and it was just fine for us. There was a generous welcome gift for my daughter and fruit juices, champagne and fruit for us. My daughter was delighted with the sofa bed that had been made for her as the bed linen had embroidered manta rays and sea creatures on it. There was also a postcard waiting for her from ‘Kaku the Crab’ who would send a postcard every day detailing his adventures and this provided a lovely bed time story for her each evening – I thought this was a nice touch and really helped her get into the spirit of things.

The Resort

The resort itself is one of the larger Maldivian resorts and although they provide you with bicycles/tricycles (with your initials on it) and there is an efficient buggy service, it doesn’t take that long to walk from one end of the island to the other if you’re not in a hurry. The architecture is inspired by Geoffery Bawa’s tropical modernist look and we actually really liked it and felt that it complemented the natural beauty of the island as well as the down to earth vibe at LG.

There is lots to do (or not do) at LG depending on your mood. There are scheduled activities each day (you are given a resort booklet detailing these), which you can choose to participate in – some are complimentary, for others there is a small fee. These include aqua yoga, sunset yoga, guided snorkeling, night snorkeling, dolphin cruise, manta ray talk, sunset cruise, ayurvedic chat, sunset fishing, turtle safari, orchid garden tour, shark feeding, tennis clinic, lobster night, kayak adventure and more.

The beaches here have soft, powdery white sand. Blu beach is a wonderful place to hang out. You can lounge around on sun-loungers or in Blu’s lounge with its sandy floor, you can snorkel and swim in the crystal clear water, build sandcastles on the beach. What is extra specially wonderful and I recommend it to everyone, is a walk along Blu Beach’s long sandbank (the one pictured in all the ads). At one point, the waves come in from both sides and you feel as if you are walking on water. One day when we walked, a sting ray came floating along and also a baby shark (I was terrified but as the staff will tell you, they avoid you and go merrily about their business if you don’t bother them – they are more scared of you). The staff at Blu are very attentive and throughout the day give you complimentary sorbets, juices and clean your sunglasses.

There are a number of watersports you can also do (kayaking, parasailing, jet skiing and others). The watersports staff at FSLG are super efficient, helpful and extremely safety conscious. They keep a sharp (but unobtrusive) eye on all snorkelers at Blu and even on us when we were kayaking. I was told that all members of staff are experienced swimmers and therefore, everyone is a lifeguard.

The Spa

The Spa is…words fail me…it’s simply sublime. The only other one I’ve seen that compares is at the FS Kuda Huura. You must get a complimentary Ayurvedic consultation by the amazing Doctor Sooraj – he then recommends certain therapies you can choose to do (however, there is never any pressure to do or buy anything here – no “hard sell” as I have seen in other places) and he tells you your ‘dosha’ (body type) whether Vata, Pitta or Kapha (he will explain – I can’t!). The Ayurvedic theme permeates LG and in the breakfast buffet at Café Landaa, there is a section where you can choose certain teas or drinks particular to your dosha. I thought I’d get into the spirit of things and I had the Kapha tea throughout my stay (I don’t know whether it was psychological or real, but I actually felt more energetic and healthier!) Also, in every menu, they have small symbols indicating which food is best for which dosha. Anyway, back to the spa – I highly recommend a massage on one of their over water pavilions – it’s a treat to the senses. Almost magical. The facials are also amazing though I think its best to have one of these towards the end of your stay. The Spa shop is also lovely. I recommend Ila products and the wonderful Ila music CD’s (there are two – blue and white – both are great!).

The Kids Club

This was the highlight of my daughter’s stay and I simply couldn’t get her to leave the place! The Kids Club is open from I think 10am to 5.30pm and my daughter would race through breakfast so she could be taken here as soon as possible! The staff at the Kids Club are just amazing! Ilonka and Falak went above and beyond the call of duty as far as I’m concerned and my daughter adored them. They were kind, extremely patient, helpful and really went out of their way to accommodate her and make sure she had a good time. They even taught her snorkeling (first in the kids club pool and then in the lagoon)! There are a lot of activities for kids to do at the Kids Club if they want to (there is never any pressure). What I liked about it was that there was an educational element to some of these activities. Each child is given a “Passport to Adventure” on arrival as well as a welcome letter from the Kids Club. Each page in the passport contains some activity and if the kids complete seven of these, they get a toy (and a very plush toy – my daughter got a toy sting ray). Activities in the Kids Club include fish feeding, hermit crab discovery, craft zone, paint like a pro, cookie creations, island scavenger hunt, cycle adventure, Dhivevi discovery, green fingers (planting a tree), clownfish feeding at the fish lab in the Marine Discovery Centre, lizard and fruit bat safari, cupcake creation – the kids even visited the spa for a foot massage and dosha consultation (my daughter happily told me she was Pitta). My daughter even used to eat lunch at the Kids Club because she wouldn’t want to leave.

The Marine Discovery Centre

This is another highlight of FSLG. There are several marine biologists here who are happy to talk to you and there is a pool where you can touch sponges and starfish. They are also breeding clownfish and seahorses and you must see this while you are here. There are also two turtles that have been rescued (one has lost a limb the other is blind) and you can see them being fed at 5pm. They are also rebuilding or restoring the reef and I had a wonderful time helping them construct a coral frame.

Manta On Call

I would highly, highly recommend signing up for the Manta on Call. Once mantas have been spotted, you are whisked away to the site and can snorkel with these gentle giants. My husband was lucky enough to also snorkel with a whale shark on one of these excursions. He is a changed man! It really was one of the high points of the holiday and he says it’s an experience he will remember for the rest of his life. He also took part in the Manta Scientist Expedition which actually lasts a whole day (from 11am to 5.30pm) – if you are interested in mantas then this experience is not to be missed. He wanted to do another but the weather was bad on the day of the second expedition.

The Restaurants

All the restaurants are good. We loved the ambience at Blu and Fuego Grill for dinner– these two were our favourites. Café Landaa for breakfast was also lovely – there is lots and lots of choice at the buffet. I really liked some of the juices they made (Tummy Calmer and Breakfast Booster).

All in all, LG has a friendly, laid back and understated vibe. For shoes all you really need are rubber flip flops – havianas or crocs both morning and evening. Everywhere is sandy so leather shoes or Choos are best left at home. There is nothing remotely high maintenance about LG. Pack plenty of sun cream – the sun is deceptively strong but because of the light tropical breeze you may not think so. However, there is lots available at the resort at Blu Beach and the pool areas as well as after sun care in every bathroom. Lather it on as often as possible. Also, it is really relaxing and surreal to hang out at the Sea Bar in the evening (where shark feeding takes place every night at 10am – a fantastic sight in itself). On one particular night we saw a transparent squid and an eagle ray.

Finally, the staff at FS are just fantastic – they are pivotal to the success of the resort. They make you feel like you’re the most important people in the world – they treat you like celebrities! Special mention must go to Sameh (the guest experience manager), who we actually felt sad to leave (!) – he really looked out for us and we felt took a special interest to ensure we had a wonderful time. The Kids Club staff Ilonka and Falak were also beyond fabulous. I was very ill on the first night of our stay (something I had eaten on the plane) and Sameh made sure I saw the resort doctor – who was so professional and he cured me within no time (he later sent me a get well card and some chocolates!). The staff at Café Landaa noticed on the first day that the only thing I could eat were apples and henceforth sent apples to my room and Farouk sent two bottles of a lemon drink (“neemboo paani”) designed to cure nausea and indigestion every night of my stay! I really appreciated that. I was very touched. We were touched by the kindness and attentiveness of all the staff including Andrea, Jane, Saena, Saif, the chefs, the marine biologists (Fred, Julien, Annie et al), the recreation staff, Hari, Rajesh, the staff at Blu beach and everyone we met! Martin Cody the manager is always available and ready to help. At the end of the holiday, we really felt sad to leave the wonderful people we had met and this is what sets FSLG apart and makes it a truly great resort to visit. For our next trip to the Maldives, we are seriously stuck on what resort to visit as we doubt any resort can top FSLG. So as my daughter says, we’ll just have to come back here!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are good. The beach villas overlooking Blu Beach seem to be the best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Celestial59
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Celestial59,

It was such a pleasure reading your recent review following your stay at Landaa Giraavaru. Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed comments with us. I was very happy to know how much you all enjoyed your time on the island and will be sure to share your kind words with all the employees.

You really seemed to take in so much of what the island has to offer; from snorkeling with Mantas to the pampering treatments at the Spa. The Manta Scientist for a day is a fantastic way for our guests to surround themselves with all the conversations efforts we have in place and a rewarding experience for anyone who has participated in it.

We are very proud of the team and it is wonderful to know that so many of them made such an impact on your stay; Sameh, Ilonka, Falah, Dr Manic, Andrea, Jane, Saena, Saif, Fred, Julien, Annie, Hari, Rajesh along with all the team at Blu will be delighted with your feedback. We all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The most amazing experience.

The location is wonderful, great beach and views.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and they even know your name which is a nice thing.

The food is amazing in all the restaurant.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GAJK55
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear GAJK55,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your visit to Landaa Giraavaru last year. It is nice to know how much you enjoyed your time on the island; in particular the amazing food and friendly and helpful employees. I will be sure to share your kind words with all of them. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This atoll is particularly lovely in its shape and size. The staff are very attentive. The food was superb - particularly in the Al Barakat (where I also had a delicious rosewater vodka cocktail) restaurant and Blu restaurant. We also enjoyed the Fuego grill on the beach. The only area I wasn't so wild about was Cafe Landaa - I felt it was a bit of a dead zone close to reception and the pool - it really lacked atmosphere.

I enjoyed the early morning yoga and the spa was one of if not the best spas I have ever been to. The atmosphere and sense of calm was wonderful, the herb garden, the divine Ayurvedic therapies and the products. It was a true spiritual oasis.

The dive centre and marine discovery centre are excellent.

We had a thoroughly spoilt time and would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KeepOnTravelling2014

Dear KeeponTravelling,

I was delighted to know how much you enjoyed your visit to the Resort last year and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again at some point this year. The direct flights from Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific have been a very welcome addition for the Maldives. I will be sure to share your feedback with all the team; in particular everyone at the Dive and Marine Discovery Centres.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

If I had to write everything down that was perfect about this hotel, it would take up several pages.

Staff - beyond perfect, proactive accommodating on every level
Facilities - first class, bikes provided, awesome, beaches
Activities - more than you'll ever need or be able to pick from
Food - outstanding

Seriously, if you can get to Maldives this is a once and a lifetime place :-)

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank xj22jaguar

Dear xj22jaguar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us; I was delighted to know how much you enjoyed your recent visit and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again. The team will be very happy to know that you found their service levels pro active and beyond perfect.

Martin

6 mi away
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#6 of 16 in Baa Atoll

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru? Share your experiences!