I have been to several islands in the Maldives and this is one of the better ones. In fact, this was our second visit to Royal Island and it didn't let us down.
We booked through Angelfish Travel, who gave us good advice before we booked, were very efficient and helpful and and made it all go like clockwork. They also arranged non-stop BA flights. I picked them because they gave us good service some years ago.
My only grumble about the travel arrangements is the long and convoluted transfer. The security arrangements were ridiculous for an internal flight, the bureaucracy excessive and the delays long. Previously, we transferred by seaplane, which was much better.
This is one of the few remaining islands not blighted by having to look out at water bungalows. I much prefer beach bungalows and want an unobstructed view, not just from the bungalow, but around the island. The rooms are nice and not as basic as on many other islands and there are few rooms which are not in a good position. We have stayed in one around number 200 and this time in 153.
Weather was beautiful, unlike a year ago in Holiday Island when we caught a tropical storm and had a week of unrelenting storm clouds and rain. Snorkelling was up to standard for the Maldives and the beach access was good sand with little broken coral. We found that the best access to the outer side of the reef was over the south pier.
We stayed half-board and the food was generally good with a good choice. However, the Boli-bar by the pool is to be avoided - it serves poor food at high prices. Staff were friendly and helpful and the service good.
Most of the visitors were Russian with a few Italians. There appeared to be no other English for most of our stay. All in all, a good time was had and I would seriously consider returning to Royal Island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience the Maldives you’ve always dreamt of at Royal Island Resort & Spa. Amidst the sparkling jewels of the Indian Ocean, our exquisite Maldives luxury hotel shines and dazzles above all. Indulge and immerse yourself in a colorful journey of discovery, where shores lined with luxuriant banyans and lush palms yield to a majestic underwater world that will render you speechless. Enjoy unmatched services and facilities, including the lavish Araamu Spa and a fabulous selection of restaurants and bars. Relax and unwind with a vast selection of resort activities , including a fully equipped gymnasium, tennis, and squash to scuba diving and water skiing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotelopia, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Royal Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Island Resort And Spa
- Royal Island Hotel Baa Atoll
- Royal Island Resort Maldives