Maldives. Snorkel and dive paradise. The ocean that ranges from turquoise to azure to jade green to cobalt blue: amazing.
Yes, Kandooma has most of these things. Except the house reef is a short boat ride away and so the free and easy aspect of snorkelling is just not there. They do have one or two boats a day taking you to their nearby house-reef, but you arrive there with 20 other people and aren't allowed to explore on your own and its a scant 30 minute swim. Just really wasn't satisfying. Even the paid snorkel outings were too short and left you wanting a lot more.
We stayed in the beach house accommodation. It is an elevated room with a casual area below the house with a private beach shower and a sitting area; it is shaded by palm trees. We had a sunset dinner there one evening and it was very pleasant.
I think it is a better choice than the water villas at this resort. They looked like boxes, perched in a shadeless shallow bay, I cannot imagine that they would be anything but broiling hot under the tropical sun. If you want a water villa, I would recommend another hotel.
The food was extremely costly. Our room did not include meals, and one can expect to pay USD 100 per person per day for 3 meals and any beverage other than filtered water would add even more. They told us that our second cup of espresso would be chargeable. I complained and we were not actually charged, but I was really shocked considering the breakfast is USD31++
The boat transfers are also expensive. It was USD 500 nett for return airport transfersfor the pair of us.
If you select this hotel, make sure you do it on a package that includes transfers and at least half board, or be prepared to pay a lot more than the price of the room.
Next trip I will go to a better class of hotel with an on-shore house reef and transfers included. End of the day, it isn't mush difference in price, but a lot of difference in the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Find your tropical island paradise at the lagoon-facing Holiday Inn Resort (R) Kandooma Maldives. Let speedboats ferry you across the turquoise waters from Male International Airport to our contemporary Maldives holiday resort in just 40 minutes. Slip into island life from the moment you arrive at Holiday Inn Resort (R) Kandooma Maldives, with world-class diving and surfing facilities at your doorstep. Our beach villas ooze style and boast elegant touches like outdoor showers and iPod docking stations. Grab coffee and wood-fired pizza from the Bokkuraa Coffee Club beside our sparkling infinity pool, or unwind with a good book and enjoy views over the peaceful lagoon. You can indulge in a soothing Thai massage and other beauty treatments at our Kandooma Spa and book the Spa Suite's private garden with plunge pool for a romantic afternoon. Discover a Maldives hotel for family here, where you can learn to sail on a catamaran around the region's sandbanks and sip on alcohol-free cocktails on a sunset cruise. Diving and snorkelling among colourful reefs is just five minutes by boat from Holiday Inn Resort(R) Kandooma Maldives. As a child-friendly Maldives hotel, your children will be kept entertained with face-painting and fun games, while parents can unwind with a game of tennis or a workout at the gym. Top off a perfect day with a Maldivian seafood feast and breathtaking sunsets at The Kitchen restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Hotel South Male Atoll
- Kandooma South Male Atoll
- Kandooma Hotel South Male Atoll