“Vacation in Heaven”

Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Delhi
“Vacation in Heaven”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you want a vacation where you want to forget the whole world and relax, then this is the place you need to be in. Full of tranquility mixed with a host of luxuries, can't ask for more. Stay at the Oversea Villa and it would make you feel like you're floating in Heaven

Room Tip: Go for the Oversea Villa
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Joseph D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Bornfoodie001,

Thank you for your positive review about us on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to learn that you had a great time with us and you have enjoyed the comfort and the luxury of our Overwater Villa.

The team and I are looking forward for your return to our resort in the near future.

Joseph Della Gatta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was a super resort and stay with amazing service! The rooms and the view were fabulous. The staff were really helpful and made my stay comfortable and pleasant.I would recommend this resort to my family and friends :)

Room Tip: Ask for one with a full ocean view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Nheth,

Thank you for your comment about us on Tripadvisor.

It is our great pleasure to read that you had a memorable stay with us and the team has done a great job to make your stay pleasant.

The team and I are looking forward to having you back to our lovely island on your next visit to the Maldives.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Everything about this resort works. It is well organised and the staff are friendly and helpful. The room (I had unit 34) was beautiful, and well equipped. The minibar is exceptionally well stocked, you have fresh oranges with and orange press, flip flops, beach towels, power adapter, fan, stereo with iPod connection, TV, safe, etc. The outdoor bathroom is beautiful and spotlessly clean. Toiletries are in little colourful ceramic bottles, which gives it a nice touch. The decor of the house is all white, with some turquoise features (pillows, throw) - pretty much Hampton style. The a/c works well. Outside, you have a small deck with a day bed, coffee table and a hammock.

The island is beautiful, and kept very clean. Lots of space, and three swimming areas. Although the resort was not empty at all, the swimming areas are usually empty, except for the one close to the pool. The pool is large, with various sections. But who needs a pool, if you can swim in the bath tub warm ocean?

There is a variety of food packages, and even the basic full board provides you with buffet meals that are good. There is plenty of choice (both western and Maldivian food), and with upgrades (or one-off payments) you can also eat á la carte at the other restaurants.

The transfer from Malé or the airport takes about 45 minutes, and is an easy ride. You will get a refreshing cool towel and water when you get on the boat. Again, staff are great!

I only had one night at this resort, but it is certainly the place I want to come back to and spend a week, and make use of all the water activities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank michanzl
Dear Michanzl,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review about us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

We are very happy to read that you have an amazing time with us. It is our great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed the comfort stay on our Beach House with the amenities in the room.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again to our little paradise in the near future.

Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went to Holiday Inn Kandooma as part of our first visit to the Maldives for a very special anniversary. From the friendly and welcoming greeting at the airport, to the boat transfer to the welcome from Rene the Executive Assistant Manager we already knew we were in for a very special experience. After meeting Joseph the GM, Bandula (Guest Services Manager, if I remember correctly), Winston and Joy and the Executive Chef during our visit, it is very reassuring to have such approachable management team. You see this team at any time during the day and evening, working and supporting their team members. After the welcome, we were escorted to our fabulous beach villa, downstairs is a shaded area and upstairs is the bedroom (AC, TV, Fresh Orange Juice squeezer, unlimited bottled water) with outdoor, bathroom, shower and balcony overlooking the beach, absolutely stunning. There is a great selection of restaurant options, with great and creative food, served by a team that are truly trying to make every experience a memorable one. Must Dos, be at the Deck for sundowners for great cocktails and the spectacular sunsets, follow this up with dinner in the Kitchen, just below, the menu is varied with photos and even recipes. Here they have cabaret show with the crabs on the beach and the odd Heron, Wednesdays is a special evening when they feed the sharks just beside the Kitchen restaurant. The watersports area is manned by some very knowledgeable Marine Biologists who accompany snorkellers on the various trips that are available, highly recommended is the turtle trip where we got the opportunity to be real up close with some turtles as well as a huge variety of fish and dolphins. And, if you get the chance, the whaleshark trip.
The immaculate kept beaches and gardens truly stand out, the team are constantly working to keep them in great condition.
Overall a great trip where everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome and assist us to have a great break. Great service in every area, great food, creative and varied, great selection of cocktails and drinks. Going to definitely go back in the not too far distant future.

Room Tip: We preferred the lower numbered Beach Villas, 1 - 12.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RogerMoh
Joseph D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear RogerMoh,

We would like to thank you for sharing your stay experience with us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

It is our great pleasure to read that we have brought to you a pleasant and memorable stay. I will definitely share your encouraging feedback to the team as your feedback is an inspiration for us to serve our guest better.

Once again, we thank you for your wonderful review and we are looking forward to having you back to our little paradise in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from 5 days at Kandooma. Great resort, very well organized and running smoothly. Pick up in Male was swift and efficient, accomodation was great, food available was very nice especially if you upgrade for the Full Monty.The Spa is also great and staff are very friendly. I was there to mostly surf and the Perfect wave staff on the ilsand were extremely friendly and helpful, all in all a great experience and I shall be back.

Room Tip: If you are surfing ask for a room next to surf break I was a bit further away
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Frederic S
Dear Frederic S,

Thank you for your positive review about us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

We are very delighted to read that you have a memorable stay with us and you have enjoyed the surfing experience.

The team and I are looking forward for your return to our resort on your next holiday in the Maldives.

Sunny Singapore
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Going to the Maldives has always been on my to-do-before-I-pass-on list ever since I watched a program on TV about the crystal clear blue waters and coral reefs there. So I finally decided to just do it for my husband's birthday as well as our Anniversary this year.

Staying at the Holiday Inn was a no-brainer just because I'm an IHG member. And after looking at all the beautifully white/greenish blue photos online of the Holiday Inn, it had to be there.

As we booked the only other flight out of Singapore to Male and arrived very late at night (the other is an early morning flight), we were quickly whisked off to the speedboat provided by the hotel (not cheap..USD209 per person both ways), which then traveled through the darkness of the night for about 45 minutes before we arrived at Kandooma, an island that is the Holiday Inn itself!

We were told by friends who've been to the Maldives that the night speedboat ride would be scary because of the darkness and the speed. But no it wasn't! Instead, I was more in awe of the thousands of stars in the darkness of the sky as we sped through the waters. The vast horizon of the dark sea got me to realize how big the Indian Ocean really is. I couldn't wait to see it in daylight! We will never see anything like this in Singapore. Immediately, I looked forward to more beautiful scenes by mother nature.

We were to stay 3 nights in a water villa. But since the 1st night was just to sleep off the tiredness of flying to Male, and traveling to the hotel, we booked a beach unit instead and would transfer to the water villa for the next 2 nights. A good decision as it was pitch dark and about 1am, when we checked into the beautiful room (unit 34) and went straight to bed after washing up.

I expected the waves and the sea to greet me in the morning. However, I woke up to a scene of lush greens and sandy walkways and paths and trees and bushes that spread at least a 100metre beyond before I could see the legendary blue waters. It's not the hotel's fault, of course. Holiday Inn sits on an entire island and beach units and villas spread out nicely all over. There are units facing the sea directly, units a little more inland and of course, the water villas that are situated right out to the sea. We were just given a room that was inland. But no matter, it was just for that day as we'll be have our own water villa in no time (unit 61)!

For the next 2 nights at the water villa, I must say we spent very little time in and around the villa. Each villa has it's own open deck, that's covered by a hammock overlooking the sea bottom. Water is so clear you can see everything every time. Beautiful fishes are constantly swimming around under the villa, which is just amazing to watch, especially when it gets dark and the light underneath the deck comes on. The fishes will be attracted to the light and will swim around it. Bring some bread from the cafe and throw bits into the water and you'll see schools of fish dancing around underneath you. Very cool.

Unit 61 faces the east, so we would get up early each morning just to see the beautiful sunrise by lying on the hammock! Bliss.

The interiors of the villa and the beach unit are similar, with an open air shower area. Nice and rustic. While most of the structure of the villas is made of hardy wood and painted white, the look can be a little dated as the elements of sea wind, sun and water have kinda eroded away the clean look. But the overall colors of white, blue and green, signature colors of the Holiday Inn, are perfect! Every room is also equipped with a self-working orange juicer, with complimentary oranges provided. But it can be a little hard to use for ladies as you need quite a bit of strength to press down the device and squeeze every ounce of juice from each orange! So my husband did all the juicing those few days!

Snorkeling and fishing and doing nothing else at the beach were what we wanted to do for this trip, and we did just that.

To me, the legendary crystal clear blue waters around the island and in Maldives made the trip all worth while. I have discovered that blue is not even accurate enough to describe the color of the sea! I hear emerald, azure, aquamarine, turquoise, pure blue, ultramarine, blizzard blue, celeste, baby blue, sky blue! wow!...the waters have such different hues of blue at different depths and angles that staring at the waters and just enjoying the sea breeze are simply joyful and totally blissful in Maldives....that's why it's a paradise on earth, for me.

You have to go out with the team of marine biologists to snorkel. Whether it's the educational snorkeling trip or to Turtle Point...just go and snorkel! The reefs may not be as beautiful as the colorful ones we see on TV, but they are beautiful nonetheless. The waters are clear, the fishes aplenty, the corals alive and beautiful. It's heavenly. But remember to smear yourselves thickly with sun-screen. The intensity of the sun/heat over there is no small matter!

Fishing is another activity to do. Sign up for the fish and dinner package (Night Fishing with the Fishermen I think) and you'll go out to sea to do bottom line fishing. Very easy and fun. Most of us caught something, though if you're lucky, you can catch really big fishes! Whether you catch something or nothing, the dinner plan will include at least 1 fish from the entire group's catch, cooked the way you like it. We caught several fishes and had 2 barbequed for us upon our return. Juicy, succulent, tasty and most importantly, fresh! Wonderful!

There are several friendly staff that I have to mention. Bandula and Tomas...dedicated to serving IHG members (and other guests too). They are always so friendly and helpful! I wonder if they ever get tired of smiling!? Ushan and Siruhan from the snorkeling team are amazingly good divers. Young and friendly, helpful, funny at times and they speak very good English. They're great leaders in the water too. Mark, a young Chinese server from Bokkura Cafe is ever so quick and eager to serve us. Thank you so much, all of you! :)

Having mentioned all these wonderful things, I have to add the following...

This is in no way negative. Many others have complimented the food at the Holiday Inn, and I'm not a fussy eater, but for this trip, I can't say the same. For the price that one pays to stay on an isolated hotel on an island of its' own, with limited choices for dining anywhere else (local island Guraidhoo...which we didn't visit as you have to pre-book the journey to/fro), one would expect better quality food to be provided. The variety is pretty decent. But the quality is just not there as compared to other IHG properties which are cheaper. Our steaks and fish were charred, hence bitter on the outside. Salad was limp. Egg didn't taste fresh. Fruits were the normal fare of watermelon, papaya, melon, oranges, not to mention bananas that were not totally ripe. I wonder why there weren't more interesting and exotic fruits since it's a tropical island...

Service during dinner can be very slow. Can't imagine when it's peak time...

Perhaps the most puzzling to us is that the dining areas do not have the option of giving guests a comfortable dining experience in an air-conditioned area (even just a small area will be nice). On the final night, we decided to dress up for our celebration and the night turned out to be really stale....with no breeze at all! We had to dine in a stuffy cafe, though it was al-fresco and by the sea, and by the end of the night, we were both dying to return to the air-conditioned villa as we were sweating away and my make-up was running! And we literally ran back to the villa! haha...

What a way to end a holiday! Funny but memorable at the same time!

So you see, I have to to rate Kandooma Holiday Inn a paradise on earth but....with a 'but'. It didn't dampen our holiday though, just comments that I'd like to share.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank memummyteri
Dear Memummyteri,

We would like to thank you for your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are very glad you have enjoyed the natural beauty of the Maldives and I will definitely share your message onto Bandula, Tomas, Ushan, Siruhan and Mark who will be thrilled to hear from you.

Your feedback is important for us in our on-going review and training programs as we are committed to deliver the best service to our guest. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the Maldives in the future.

Rostov-on-Don, Russia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed with my Family in this beautiful hotel from 21st until 30th of March. We took BB package, because there you can find daily promotions for the dinner in the different outlets. I liked dinner on the beach, where during the meal you can see a sunset. It's amazing.

Staff was polite, especially Naji(Assistant FO manager). He solved all our issues. In the beginning we didn't have internet in our room, I call to the reception and Naji sent to my room portable 3G router. Later he helped many times with the different smallest things. He is good example of excellent manager.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Vladimir L,

Thank you for your wonderful review about us on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy you and your family have an amazing time with us and enjoyed the dining experience. I will definitely share your message onto Naji who has done a great job to make your stay memorable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandoomaafushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Biyaadhoo Island
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives? Share your experiences!