“Incredible 7 days of relaxation”

Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My partner & I spent 7 days at the Holiday Inn Kandooma in November 2012 & had the most relaxing holiday in paradise, & came home feeling like we'd be away for a month! We stayed in a garden villa which was spacious & comfortable, & we loved the indoor/outdoor bathroom feature. The complimentary tea/coffee & water is a lovely touch.
We enjoyed cocktails in the rooftop bar at sunset, some sailing & snorkling with the recreation team, good food with a great choice at breakfast, lunch & dinner. Plenty of sunbeds to choose from either on the beach or at the pool - we never struggled to find sunny & shady spots to while away a few hours with a book or just watch the world go buy with the incredible views.
The staff were really helpful & very friendly - we couldn't fault them, & our amazing bonus on our boat transfer back to the airport we came across a massive pod of dolphins which was a fabulous finishing touch to an incredible week in a beautiful location - thank you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Kate B,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review about us on Tripadvisor.

It is a real pleasure to read that you had good memories of your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed every aspects of the hotel.

Once again, we thank you for your time and we are looking forward to having you back to our little paradise in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is our first trip to Maldives. The resort is about 40 minutes by (20 passengers capacity) ferry ride from the airport. We stayed for 5 days and were amazed by the breathtaking view of the beach right in front of our beach house, and all around the island. The staff are all very helpful, and child friendly; from the front office, to the cafe, the kids club, as well as the water sport centre. The resort serves Buffet Breakfast and Dinner with excellent choices, but only offers 2 choices of complete set (entree, main and dessert) for lunch. Good choice of drinks, too, if you take Stay Spirited menu, where you get free flow of beers, wine, and cocktails. The water sport centre offers many activities and we're very happy to book private trips with a speedboat to go to a sandbank, watched schools of dolphins, and see turtles during snorkeling trip. We were very lucky to be accompanied by the resort's Marine Biologist, Ushan, in our trip. Overall, this is the best family holiday for us, and next year we are sure to book another trip to Holiday Inn Kandooma.

Room Tip: We got beach house no 6&7, right in front of a calm beach, safe for the kids to swim and snorkel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Joseph D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear EmilChana,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review about us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

It is our great pleasure to read that you and your family had an amazing time with us and enjoyed every aspects of the hotel. We were also delighted to hear that you and your family were satisfied with our service and we are looking forward for your next return to our little paradise soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from a great weekend at the Holiday Inn Resort. It was one of the nicest IHG properties I've ever seen, the customer service was great, the rooms were great, and the bed was awesome. I stayed in a beach villa facing the ocean, with an out door bathroom that was lovely. We were lucky that it hardly rained the entire time we were there, so we could take advantage of the water sports. As an IHG member I was able to get free internet, which worked really well all over the island, and was invited to a welcome cocktail happy hour when I arrived. I was pleasantly surprised! The staff was lovely and very accommodating to us checking in early and out late. We went with just breakfast included, and paid for dinner a la carte, which was much more reasonable than that half board package. Also one nice thing about the resort is that it's not full of honeymooners. We went as a group of 3 gals, and had a great time! Most of the people there come to surf or dive, so the beaches were empty during the day. All and all, it was a great experience, and a fantastic value for the money in the Maldives, which is hard to come by!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hallie4114

Dear Hallie4114,

We would like to thank you for your review about us and being member of the world’s largest hotel loyalty program.

It is our great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your weekend with us and the cocktail party.

Thank you for your encouraging feedback to our resort and it inspired us to serve our guests better. The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the Maldives.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed for three nights in a double bed garden view villa which was just great. Size of the room was adequate. Open air bathroom with complete toiletries, shaver, hairdryer. A huge beach bag, 2 flipflops are included as amenities. Flat screen TV have very good reception with CNN and BBC channel. I was able to watch the world cup nightly. There is a stereo set with ipod docking. Complimentary ground, powder coffee as well as teabag and tea leaves available. There is a French press, a tea leaves strainer, a hot water boiler, as well as an orange press. Fresh oranges are provided everyday as well as 2 bottles of 1 liter distilled water. Milk for tea are also included. There is an electronic safe for storage of important items/documents. Iron and ironing board, a torch/flashlight are available. Life jackets are also provided in the room, just in case there is a need. There are ample outlets in the room as well as adapters.
Telephone and AC worked very well. Lighting is somewhat subdued and some might find it hard to read inside the room. Wifi works excellent in the room. One side of the room is made of glass wall and opens into the porch/balcony facing the sea. Outside is a daybed with pillows, a table and a hammock. For wifi away from room, you have to switch to another connection, also free, just ask the reception.
Buffet breakfast is good with some varied selections each morning. Most staffs are very friendly while some little bit reserved. This is expected since each of us have some individual differences.
Barbecue night is definitely worth trying. The food was grilled to perfection and portions are huge with all the trimmings. Even with drink (non-alcoholic) and free water it was less than the cost of the dinner buffet. Maldivian theme night buffet not really something to look forward to. Performance by the dance troupe was spectacular, but the food is kind of a letdown. It was basically curry chicken, curry fish, curry beef, curry vegetable, and all sort of Indian flavors. Think their cuisine have a lot of Indian influence. If it is your birthday, the troupe will sing you their local version of birthday song.
Couldn't participate in most water sport as I have partial disability in my left arm, but the staff at the Aqua center (Alka and Nafro) were extremely accommodating and helpful in planning activities for me. I opted for private activity trip using a speedboat. The trip includes snorkeling, visit to sandbar, and a choice between dolphin watching and local island visit. It was suppose to be a 2 and half hour trip but we did it in three hours with no extra charge. Equipment and cold drinks are included. Snorkeling was kind of disappointing for me as I'm near-sighted and could not clearly see what was in front of me. But the underwater camera Nafro used captures the images for me. The trip was worth the money paid for.
Departure speedboat is scheduled based your your flight time, as they know you are not allowed into the airport until 2 and a half hours of your schedule flight. Your will be informed a day before hand of your transfer time, however you can arrange for a change of the schedule if you want to, like if you want to visit Male before check-in. You will have to check out of your room by 12 noon, but can stay on the resort until your departure time. They will take care of the luggage for you. You'll have an extended check out till 2 pm if you are a IHG member.
My sincere appreciation to the staffs who took time to engage in conservation with me when they noticed I was alone. Thanks to Vivian of reception, William of lobby lounge, Winston of the cafe and the countless others whom I simply could not remember their name (my apology).

Room Tip: Garden view villas are good enough. If privacy is important for you then choose between room 25 to 2...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Emerson777,

Thank you for taking time sharing your stay experience with us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday with us and every aspects of the hotel. It is our great pleasure to read that our team members have shown their initiatives to make your stay memorable. I will definitely share your compliments with Alka, Nafro, Vivian, William, Winston and all the team members who will be happy to hear from you.

The team and I are looking forward to having you back to our little paradise in the near future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The staff at the Holiday Inn Kandooma are what made our stay so fantastic. From the GM who left us a handwritten card and champagne since we were there on our honeymoon, to Ali the housekeeper who went out of his way to find my wife a diffuser for her hair dryer, to Guan (sp?) who took us on a catamaran to a sandbar in the middle of the ocean everyone was fantastic.

The IHG managers reception was the best we've experienced as IHG rewards members. And everything about this hotel exceeds standards. We stayed in a garden villa (which is still beach facing) for most of our stay and in an over water villa for the last 2 days. The over water villa is a must if you are traveling to the Maldives.

Thank you to the staff for a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel to see a island map since there are big differences between rooms that are the same &q...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Apat49022,

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay on our Overwater Villa. It is our great pleasure to read that our team has done a great job to make your stay pleasant and memorable. I will definitely share your encouraging feedback with the team.

The team and I are looking forward for your return soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

While it was beautiful, we were sad that water sports were for a fee. Wind surfing, kayak all to be paid excessive charges. Snorkeling gear is free though. Don't pay for inclusive alcohol at $71 per day per person, unless you wish to be written off every night & day. Drinks are OK $< you can get a beer $5 - $6 and cocktail for $10. Diet coke tiny bottle is also $6, weird. Rooms are nice, wifi free and great. You can't buy anything much there, even a snack. Meals inclusive was good but very limited lunches, 2 choices only. If you don;t get meals it is very costly.
My hubby went there to surf and we paid the surf guy Rob $150 for a USB with about 8 pics on it, they were good pics but .......
The staff were so lovely and helpful with everything, the place is awesome.
We would go again but maybe stay elsewhere to try. If you are going I am sure you will have a great time, just important to be aware of these things.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KarenP255060

Dear KarenP255060,

Thank you for valuable feedback with us on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you have a great time with us. We thank you for mentioning some areas that we certainly can look into and improve on. Your valuable feedback is important for us in our on going review as we are committed to deliver the best service to our guests.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward for an opportunity to welcoming you again to our resort.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I returned to the Holiday Inn this year, mainly for 3 reasons: 1) friendliness of the staff 2) proximity to Male (45 min by speedboat, ideal if you only stay for a couple of days) and 3) the right quality/price balance. And I made the right choice with no regrets.
This time I went end of May and it was a pleasure being greeted as a returning guest (and a lovely surprise even being recognized by some of the staff!) - again, what I love about this hotel is the friendliness of the staff, each member of the staff was smiling, very helpful (e.g. removing this HUGE cockroach at 3am in the morning, all with a smile !), friendly without overcrowding us, giving it a homely feel. The hotel has done some minor improvements/renovations like new beach chairs that are so much better than the plastic lounge ones from last year, they have added more sofa lounge corners around the island, so you can now watch the exploits of the surfers at the Surfer's corner under the shade with a nice cocktail. The lobster corner seems to have been removed (very good as I felt bad seeing those creatures locked up in a plastic see through box on the sand) and I heard the main restaurant will be renovated this summer. Opposed to last year I took a beach house near the surfers corner and it was a perfect location. The only few things I would add is that there is no cabinet in the bathroom to put your clothes away (only an open rack and open shelves so what to do with the underwear... ) and the shower is indeed outdoor, with an opening to the main bathroom... and an open invitation for cockroaches at night. Even though these little creatures are unavoidable in such a climate it is scary when you see them running around on the walls right above your clothes... So it would help to perhaps cover the shower with mosquito nets as well as the connection to the bathroom ? It would still keep the concept of open air showers. Apart form that, I really loved the beach house with the balcony, the white & blue marine furniture/decoration style and the ground floor lounge area. With regards to the sunset bar, I would encourage to add more lights as after sunset, it gets very dark and you barely see your surroundings, nor the ants crowding on the sofa's (yes they do bite). The main restaurant's buffet lunch is served outside, without the dishes being covered, so with the humidity and heat I think it would be good to at least cover them so to avoid the food getting spoilt and keep the flies away. The variety and quality of the food still is very good ! I love the daily theme for the dinner.
Transfers went very smooth upon arrival as well as upon departure (showers and towels are readily available if you leave late and cannot (or want not) do a late check-out. All in all another fabulous 4 days stay and hopefully returning next year :)

Room Tip: Rooms near the surfer's corner or on the East side of the island.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie V
Joseph D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Stephanie V,

Thank you for your loyalty to the hotel and taking time for sharing your stay experience with us on Tripadvisor.

First of all, we are very pleased to read that you had an amazing time with us and you liked some of the new changes that we did such as more comfy beach chairs and removed the hermit crab corner.

We also would like to thank you for highlighting some areas that we could improve on as your valuable feedback is important for us in our-going review and training programs which allow us to serve our guests better.

The team and I are looking forward to having you back on your next visit to the Maldives.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandoomaafushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Olhuveli Island
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives? Share your experiences!