“A Great Couple Of Nights”
Review of Craven Heifer

Craven Heifer
Ranked #2 of 2 Stainforth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was attending an Old Boys Reunion at Giggleswick School and left booking a little late. The Craven Heifer was the only place with rooms available on line. I booked and paid on line (Travel Republic) Unfortunately when I rang to check that my booking was OK, Jamie, the landlord informed me that due to problems left by the previous landlord he had not been able to access the booking system since he took over the pub in the last four weeks and was unaware of my booking. He assured me that although the pub was busy he would sort a room out for me.
I am so glad he did as I had the best weekend I have had for a long time. I arrived at about 10:00pm after a five and a half hours drive from Hampshire and was imediately made to feel welcome. Being well aware of the struggles being encountered by rural pubs I was amazed how busy the pub was, with locals and campers from a nearby site. Everyone was very friendly and when bedtime finaly arrived the bed was comfy and clean. The next morning I had a hearty full english that set me up for the day.
I went back to the Craven Heifer for dinner in the evening and had a fantastic steak cooked perfectly with proper home made chunky, skin-on chips and onion rings and another fantastic night in the pub chatting to even more locals and being made to feel part of the community.
Don't get me wrong! This place is not the Ritz! It's very rural and a little rough round the edges and won't suit everybody but the new team is working hard to improve things and Jamie will do anything he can to help his customers out, even driving two of his guests to a function they were attending. I had a great weekend and will certainly be going back. Thanks to you all!

Room Tip: Be prepared for a hostel style of accomodation.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We have been to this public house a number of times and stopped going as it was going down hill rapidly. This pub has recently been taken over and we thought we would give it another chance however we went on Friday 21st June 2013. We ordered our food and went and sat outside in the covered garden area, OMG the area outside was disgusting under our table was cutlery, broken glass, old food and snail trails. On the table was old food in the cracks of the table, all the furniture was broken, old and the floor was so so dirty, all I have to say to the new landlord is jet wash the outside area, repair and re stain the furniture, maybe some baskets of flowers, clean up after your customers. Soap and water does wonders. The food was good but felt ill on leaving it was so dirty and scruffy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alisharayson
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Great little village pub with friendly staff and locals.great food and value for money.was staying one night but stayed fot 3.its more of a hostel than hotel but more than adaquate.staff n locals were top

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We ate here one night while camping at the nearby Knight Stainforth campsite.
I'd read the mixed reviews on here but got chatting to some locals during the day who assured us that the pub is now under new management and things have improved.

The pub itself is nothing special but there is certainly nothing wrong with it. The outside seating area is nice right next to the stream.
The staff were extremely friendly and attentive, despite being obviously rushed off their feet. After ordering we waited probably about half an hour for our food, but we weren't in a rush so it wasn't really an issue.
There was no kids menu, just select something off the main menu and they do a child size portion, which is much better than the kids menu most pubs seem to do where you get a choice of various processed foods with chips.
My husband and I selected 2 of the home made pies (game pie, and steak and stilton pie). They were both very tasty and the portions were large, although someone could do with giving the chef a lesson in pastry making- the crust tasted ok but it was the strangest textured pastry I've ever had! We also thoroughly enjoyed the "proper" chips.

Would we go back? If we were in the area, yes. It's nothing fancy or special but was a good hearty meal which was very welcome after a long walk...along with a couple of pints of course!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Whilst on a walking holiday across the Pennines, we rang ahead to make sure our pre-booked sleep over was ok. We were greeted with "we've gone bancrupt and the manager has walked out leaving lots of bills owing; but we will honour your booking." It turned out that the barmaid and chef, along with others from the village, were doing their best to keep the pub open, despite the gas being turned off, and only one beer on tap. They were only too glad to see the back of the manager, who had managed in his short time there to alienate most of the regulars; but he was only the latest in a sucession of useless managers foisted on them by a lacsidasical Brewery. Well, they looked after us very well, the room was clean, beds comfortable, and we ate and drank to our satisfaction. I hope they succeed in keeping the pub going, and get the decent tenant that they deserve.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richard54_13
Reviewed 1 June 2013

A few of us called in whilst staying in Settle recently. We really wished we hadn't.
Poor & expensive beer. Indifferent attitude. We wanted to eat but took the same attitude as the 'management' so left hungry and dined later nearer our accommodation. Pity the locals.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank HectorsHouseCumbria
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Three days before we were booked in to Craven Heifer we were warned that the landlord had gone AWOL and that a team of four including a chef had been shipped in at short notice to try and sort the place out before the bank holiday weekend. We understand that two of those days were spent just cleaning through the place! Under the difficult circumstances they were doing a great job and they remained cheerful and enthusiastic throughout our stay. The chef, as far as we are aware the only one with catering experience,was having to cope with an unfamiliar kitchen and food which she had been left with. The team are there for six weeks before a new landlord arrives and they can go back to their day jobs. Congratulations to them all.

Room Tip: The bedrooms are clean and comfortable but the accessories are basic rather than luxurious. Not all...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stainforth
The Craven Arms
#6 of 6 in Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Game Cock Inn
Game Cock Inn
#1 of 6 in Austwick

Been to Craven Heifer? Share your experiences!