Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay
Cape Byron Retreat(Skinners Shoot)(Great Value!)
US$181
Hotels.com
Byron Sunseeker Motel Byron Bay(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$163
Victoria's at Ewingsdale(Ewingsdale)(Great Value!)
The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa(Suffolk Park)(Great Value!)
US$339
US$232
Agoda.com
US$110
Hotels.com
  • Pool
BreakFree Eco Beach(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$131
Agoda.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
The Lord Byron(Byron Bay)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsqueen spa roombi fold doorslush forestbyron bayjapanese stylerelaxing massageoutdoor sparomantic getawaybeautiful outlooktotal relaxationnatural settingseparate toiletprivate balconyrooms are smallthe hustle and bustlehire carpeace and quiet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Great overall atmosphere, friendly staff, beautiful facilities and immaculate interior design.

My only problem was that I was not informed of the incredibly loud and persistent 'bird' or whatever it was in the forest. I'm not talking about a regular bird, this sounded more like a dinosaur/elephant. That thing was the loudest animal I have ever heard and didn't stop screaming until 3am.

Other than that it was great! Will definitely come back just to hear that bird again.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Dinosaur_lover69
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Amazing tranquil location. Always feel relaxed after a night away. Highly recommend getting an in-house massage. Disappointed that they have changed the breakfast from a full gourmet breakfast - that was a highlight and would now re-consider before staying again. Attention to detail isn't what it used to be.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Luke D
AzabuBB, Manager at Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your review!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and your massage in our Day Spa.
We feel that our attention to detail has increased by 100%! We have just had a new owner take over the property who has made tremendous improvements including a brand new septic system, beautiful privacy screens being built between each balcony. New improvements in each room including new towel racks, spa fixtures etc. There are also lot's more improvements to come. During the time you were here we were in transition with our breakfast option and we were creating a new menu. Our new menu is now here and will still need some tweaking but includes some amazing dishes like "Poached green tea fruit with vanilla and cinnamon" & Salmon & Crème Fraiche bagel with capers". All the dishes on our menu are sourced with almost all local, gourmet & organic ingredients. We now offer our guests two great options for breakfast; guests choose from having breakfast here at the guesthouse from our new delectable menu or they can choose to take vouchers and head to the Byron Bay Beach Café where they will enjoy a full cooked gourmet breakfast overlooking the beach. We fill this give people many beautiful options to enjoy breakfast. We would like to invite you back to stay with us to experience the new Azabu and to enjoy our new in-house menu at a discounted rate. Please email us directly if you would like to stay again!
Thanks!!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Azabu, the staff were very helpful and always willing to go the extra mile and it was so peaceful out there among the trees away from town. Only a 5 minute drive to all of the shops and beaches of Byron.

Room Tip: We stayed in a queen suite that had a lovely sunken spa bath - very nice after a big day of exploring.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amy n
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had booked Azabu at considerable expense for a week as a babymoon before our daughter was born. We were disappointed by the size of the room- very small and not at all private. We felt like we were sharing the space with other holidaymakers the whole time, could hear their music talking etc. We asked for another room- but it was exactly the same as the one previous. There wasn't a feeling of being treated or welcomed by the staff- who all did their job but didn't 'host' us in anyway. Also there is supposed to be a gazebo and meditation deck- but both weren't maintained, dirty and difficult to find. The breakfasts were decent.

Was dissappointed overall and wished i'd read the reviews before booking. Def wouldn't visit again.

It was like the staff knew that most guests felt disappointed and therefore didn't work hard to please.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Rent a whole house to yourself in the area for the same price.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
AzabuBB, Manager at Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hi Lucille,
Thank you for your review of our property. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. Lucille, our property has just been taken over by a new owner this week who really cares about the guest experience. Our rooms have just been renovated with new sound proof walls, privacy screens between balconies and many new improvements. Our gazebo has been stripped with new Japanese style tiles going up as we speak. Our yoga/meditation deck in the forest will be renovated shortly. We have new management on-board and new staff to assist you. We would like to welcome you back to the new Azabu for a night free of charge so you can see the difference.
All the best.
Candice

Reviewed 7 January 2014

On arrival at Azabu "Guest House" we were met with a vacant reception area with a mobile phone number to call if unattended. We called the number and a young American woman (owner/manager?) coldly greeted us with "You're early. your room's not ready yet!" I looked at my watch and it was 10 minutes to 1pm. Check in time was 1pm. I said "Ok, that's fine…only 10 minutes though?..." She replied “Well, you’’ll have to wait.” I said “No problem” and filled out the form she gave to me. As we were waiting my husband and our friend that had collected us from the airport went over to the central swimming pool to have a look. The women asked “Are they with you?” I explained who “they” were. I also informed her that as it was New Year’s Eve we would be going out for the evening and that another friend would be meeting us at our room prior to catching a taxi out at around 8.30pm. She said “We prefer guests not to have guests” and huffed quite rudely when I said that it was only going to be for 2-3 hours at most.
At about 1.10pm we were shown to our room by a nice French (?) girl and were left to settle in.
We dropped off our luggage and took the 10 minute drive into Byron to have lunch as there was no dining options other than breakfast at Azabu. On the topic of breakfast, on arrival we were informed that the breakfast we had paid for would only be a “self-serve muesli” option as “New Years Day was a public holiday” We had paid for a full breakfast for both days.
After returning to our room to get ready for the evening’s festivities I received a text message telling me that I would receive an ‘overnight guest charge’ if extra guests (2) had not vacated the property by 9pm. This was our plan to begin with. We felt so nervous and unwelcome and found ourselves whispering on the balcony and our friend even commented that he felt like a “naughty boy” or something. IT WAS HORRIBLE! We paid $900 for two nights to be treated like unwelcome visitors.
Before 9pm I received another text from management asking if the vehicle we had parked in the driveway was ours and would be staying on the property for the night. When informed that it was (we borrowed our friends car) the reply was “I thought you said you were dropped off”!!! What does it matter – we paid for our room which included a car park! I cannot believe that Azabu management feels that it is acceptable to harass it’s guests like this!!
Overall our stay was so awkward and uncomfortable that despite the lovely surroundings I would not recommend this place to anyone.
We left feeling shocked, appalled and upset that our romantic long needed and much- deserved getaway had been ruined.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Brooke H
AzabuBB, Manager at Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review us on trip advisor. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay. Please see the management response below;

Reception was unattended when you arrived as we are a 5 bedroom guesthouse run by a couple. We were on the property and when you called we were at the front reception within 2 minutes.

I came up to find people we had not seen before hanging around the pool. I was quite shocked that someone would let themselves into the property prior to being checked in. When I greeted the lady who was waiting at the front desk she said they had a booking and were checking in. I informed her that her room was almost ready and would be just 10 mins away. I also asked if the men hanging by the pool were with her, as I needed to know who was lounging on the property. She said "Yes, those are our friends, they dropped us off". I politely said no problem and asked if she would like a tea or coffee or water while she was waiting. She declined.

Her friends then proceeded to hang out by the pool on our small couple's retreat property for the entire day and then use the showers in her room to get ready for their evening out. I did not say a word even though I felt uncomfortable with people having friends stay for free to use the facilities all day on New Years Eve.

As the group that were supposedly dropping you off were still there 8 hours later, I simply enquired about the friends and the vehicle. I have every right to do so as I manage this property.

At time of check in we have people write down their license & Rego numbers so we know who is on the property and which vehicles are on the property overnight for security purposes. Since she told me she was being dropped off I was simply enquiring if the vehicle was staying on the property as it had been there all day. She replied that yes it was their vehicle and it was staying overnight. I found this strange as she had told me a few hours earlier that her friends were dropping her off.

There are no facilities you can use on New Years Eve for free. You cannot even hang out at a hostel for free on New Years Eve. Try, they will charge you.

Since I had spoken to all the guests on the property that afternoon I knew that 3 out of the 5 couples who were staying on the property wanted to have a really quiet chilled out and romantic New Years Eve In, and were staying on the property for the evening. Not everyone enjoys going wild and partying on New Years. Some people like to start their new year in a different way. Our property is in a beautiful, quiet, forest location which is why most people love staying here. At almost 9pm the freeloading friends were still here and all were being so loud you could hear them through the entire property hollering and blasting music.
This property is not that type of place, and some people on the property were getting upset and worried it was going to go on all night and ruin their night. At this point I had to step in. There are plenty of places to go in town to party, there is no need to do so in a quiet retreat like property. I simply notified them that any guests on the property after 9pm would be charged a fee, as you cannot bring friends to any property anywhere in the world, all day long to use the facilities and stay all night without a fee, especially not during holiday periods. The guests then left to go out for the night.

The second day the man from the room was telling me he thought the self serve breakfast was great. The third day the couple had a full cooked breakfast and then checked out. Our breakfast options vary daily.

We are friendly and polite and love meeting people who stay with us. Most people love the fact that the property here is quiet and away from the crazy, noisy busyness of the town. That is why we are unique.

I do not feel that one text asking about a vehicle on the property is rude. It must have been taken the wrong way.

I encourage any future guests to give us a call or email to enquire about our facilities prior to booking so they are clear what we offer and what the atmosphere of our property is like. Also if people want to hang out with their friends and use the facilities we encourage their friends to also book a room and stay for the night. When the actions of 1 guest is ruining the experience for 10 others, it is my duty as manager to step in and do something.

Thanks!