“enjoy every minute!”
Review of Sandpiper Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Sandpiper Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 31 October 2013

if you are looking for a laid-back resort on the beach then the SandPiper is for you. The owner, Greg Miller will you out for you and he is there to ensure you have a great time so don't be afraid to ask him for just about anything and he will help you. I loved the beach, body surfing and just hangin' out and drinking some cold beer in shade. You can walk to great restaurants and zip line is a just down the street.

The views are perfect and you can't find a better sunset! So if you go to Costa Rica you should stop by and stay a few days at the Sandpiper Inn on Playa Hermosa.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris C

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Most laid back resort on the most beautiful beach in the world. Greg had some great suggestions for us, which we took him up on! Walked to some fun restaurants and hikes. The views were incredible, as were the sunsets! Our room was very nice and hotel staff was excellent! Very relaxing trip for us!!!! I loved the hammock for my afternoon nap! I definitely plan on a return trip!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim F
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I can honestly say the stay we had at the Sandpiper Inn was outstanding. In general, Playa Hermosa is a beautiful place to stay on the beach in Costa Rica, but this is the spot to stay. The hotel is just so cool! you can hear the waves all day, feel a great ocean breeze, and step right onto the beach from the hotel. The owner Greg is an AMAZING host. We would have not had the same experience without him. The tours we took and activities we did were all based on his recommendations and we had such an easy time finding out how to get there and transportation. The hotel is clean, quiet and just sooooo relaxing. No matter the weather we were always occupied doing all sorts around Hermosa. As a first timer to the country, i felt like the first week of our trip spent at this hotel made all the difference and I am so satisfied with my time spent. Go check this place out, Greg and Cory will show you a great time. Thanks again Guys!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah E
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you read a bad review about this place it is because the person was probably expecting a resort with massages and tennis courts when they came here...
Playa Hermosa is one of the best surf spots in the world because it is so exposed to the Pacific Ocean and undeveloped. There are not any chain hotels, restaurants in the town of Playa Hermosa or even clothing stores or souvenir shops. The boutique hotels and restaurants are original places with friendly owners, guests, and customers that you will meet and become friends with by the time your stay is through.
If you are looking a relaxing get away and adventure you've come to the right place. There are people surfing at all times of the day but the beach itself is very natural and unique which in my opinion makes it live up to its name... "Beautiful Beach."

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sandpiper Inn for a total of 4 nights on our stay. It is a cute and humble room that is perfect for a surf vacation. What makes the hotel so awesome is that it is SAFE and right on the beach with beautiful views and stunning sunsets. You can also hang out in the gazebo-ish hut of the hotel (which is basically a wood bar with chairs overlooking the beach) with the other guests and by the end of your stay you will most likely know everyone else staying there at the time! It really enhances your vacation because it is really so easy to find out different experiences and what the must-do tings are before you leave Costa Rica from other vacationers and Greg, the owner. We saw whales, iguanas, and many macaws on our stay. There were some guests that even saw baby sea turtles on the beach!

Greg the owner is by far the nicest and most accommodating person we met on our vacation and he truly cares and wants you to enjoy your time in Costa Rica. He is very flexible on check-in and check-out times which was so helpful to us since our returning flight left at 1 in the morning. He also gave us some awesome things to do while we were in Playa Hermosa such as drive to these waterfalls called Tres Piscinas and you can jump about 20 feet into the "Three Pools" of these waterfalls! So cool! He gave us restaurant recommendations and even was driving people to and from the airport which is an more than an hour drive! He also has an awesome dog, Corey, who is very friendly and enjoys the beach just as much as you will. The beach is so beautiful and we loved our stay here! Greg found a great little spot in Playa Hermosa and we will hopefully be returning one day soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hilary T
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We ran into Greg at Sandpiper in Playa Hermosa while trying to get away from the commotion in the center of Jaco . We came by and he was as pleasant as can be . He welcomed us in and showed us around. The place is a little gem ! Its located right on the beach (not so common in CR) the place is cozy with enough space to chill and relax in front of the most beautiful view.
The room was simple,nice and in great condition .
We ended up driving further south but if we hadn't there is no doubt we would have stayed at the Sandpiper !! We were so impressed !
Probably the best place in that area not to mention the kind owner . It does make a difference.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeKalasha
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sandpiper in last Februrary and it was great. Greg is an awesome host and its a super chill and laid back spot with a break strong wave in front. Highly recommended. Rooms are clean and simple but our bed was comfortable. Close to nearby beaches. Playa Hermosa's sand is hot as hell since it is black, but there was ways around that. Great place to stay for a couple nights on the way back to San Jose. Good running and fun little bars nearby

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Pros - the location is right on the beach, and Playa Hermosa is pretty.
Cons- the vibe is more like a surf camp then an Inn. It would be fine for the dudes but the room wasn't that clean. Pool is tiny.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VonTubed_10
sandpiper222222, Owner at Sandpiper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you Sir for your "Ok" response..I have never heard my place described as a "surf camp"..It is a Hotel / Inn..Every room has it's own bathroom, No connecting doors, NOT shared rooms, each room has it's own A/C, we have 2 big relaxing covered common areas with ping-pong / hammocks - you can be at peace by yourself or join in & meet others! Not sure where ya get "Surf camp" out of this?..& for "Dudes only", just look at the reviews on TripAdvisor - 18 from couples & 8 from families - thats got to say something! During your stay, I had a 3 couples here that just Loved the place & my Wedding remarks from others on this site seem to express different feelings about the place..To me & others, it's all about what you want to make of it...This is not a playful swimming beach which I think would have been better for your wife & child..I will be the first to say, my rooms are not the Marriott or my pool is not a big pool..But, you stayed in our Oceanfront upstairs room for 1 night! I will beg to differ, that is a very "Clean" nice room..It has a brand new Pillowtop Queen mattress/bed in there with brand new pillows & sheets "clean", a brand new (4 day old) ceiling fan & a brand new (2 day old) split A/C I had just put in...Floors & bathrooms were "clean" with a nice disinfectant..Every guest is given a nice "clean" shower towel, a couple bars of packaged wash soap..There are pictures on this site as well as my web site of the size of my pool..One thing you forget to mention, is instead of having the pool right at the beach front property, there is a Rancho (covered Palapa) that has hammocks, tables, chairs, bar that over looks the ocean, sunsets that no other hotel in my area has..Costa Rica has 2 things, intense sun & rain..You are well protected under this..No one gets this till they stay in another beach front hotel & when raining or in melting sun, no where to be but in your room! Not what I believe we all came to Costa Rica for.. We are in the rainforest & on the beach..We have Monkeys across the street, Iguanas all over the place, Macaws & Toucans in our trees right outside your room, Mom Turtles coming right to our front door, laying their eggs, 7 weeks later - babies popping out of sand, we watch Humpback whales breach with their babies right in front of hotel, great hikes right behind hotel, Zipline 5 min. walk from hotel..You are right, my pool is small & maybe small details in room Not perfect, but I know my Oceanfront room was "clean" & a lot of people like my place..#1 on TripAdvisor..Why? I believe because of the experience they go away with..My place Sir, is NOT all about the room & pool..Thanks & hope to see you again! Pura Vida!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Hermosa
#18 of 40 in Jaco
3 mi away
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club

Been to Sandpiper Hotel? Share your experiences!