“Perfect spot for a vacation/training camp for a triathlete”
Review of Sandpiper Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Sandpiper Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have been in the hotel twice and I love the place. It' super private but at the same time has a bunch of good places to eat within walking distance and Jaco is very close so you can party hard at night if you want to too. I usually come down for base training during the cold months in the NE. The place is perfect for a triathlete. You can bike or run out the door for days if you want to. There are all type of terrains for biking and running. Also, within 5K there are two 25meter lap pools. The hotel is on the beach so you can surf all day. To be honest I am working out from 5:30am when the sun comes out all the way to 6Pm when the sun goes down. Greg the owner is super cool and very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much, beachfront, air conditioning, clean pretty room with hand-painted murals , easy walk to local restaurants and bars, view was fantastic (sunsets are WOW), nice little pool. Greg, was always available and very hospitable and full of great advise and tips to enjoy the area. Absolutely loved watching Cory play ball in the waves! Macaws in the trees and iguana's lounging in easy view. Exactly what we came to Costa Rica for....glad we found it!

Room Tip: Front top room, with great balcony for views of sunset and lizards
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The owner Greg it's a helpful man (although he doesn't speak Spanish) and the location is the best. But the rest, quite disappointing.
The hotel doesn't have a reception. When you need something, you need to search for Greg in the hotel or on the beach.
The common area is a little messy, with objects for cleaning and maintenance.
The rooms doesn't have daily cleaning. We passed a day without A/C and when it was fixed, the room was left with a lot of dirt.
The hotel's website needs to be updated. The restaurant doesn't work, neither they have "surf movies on the big screen".
We stayed in ten hotels in our trip to Costa Rica. Sandpiper Inn was the second more expensive and the second worst in our opinion.

3  Thank DanielStange
sandpiper222222, Owner at Sandpiper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you Daniel for your response..Sometimes it's good to get a constructive review of my place..I do try my best & might miss here or there a few times, But I am always here to try & make your stay nice...To address a few of your issues...
1) Sorry for the bad Spanish...
2) Reception - I am a small hotel on the beach - 8 rooms..To have someone full time to sit in some little reception is just not financially possible..My house is 20ft from your room & I am all over the property cleaning pool, racking leaves, putting coffee out, getting guests towels, hanging out with guests...But I am always on the grounds here to help at anytime!
3) Maid cleaning - You stayed 2 nights! You arrived late in the afternoon to a nice clean room. the next day, I try & make sure I ask you if you need clean towels or anything for your room..If I missed you, I am sorry..The next morning you were gone! So yes, we are NOT the Hyatt..My maid comes every other day & I am here to fill in in between!
4) You told me about the A/C the day after you arrived..I called the A/C guy & he was over within hours & fixed A/C.."Room left full of dirt" I think is a bit wrong...I was in there with him fixing A/C & we made sure it was all good when he left..No "Dirt"!
5) Website..You are right..I need to update it! Thank you!
6) No Restaurant...My restaurant is there, but you are right, NO ONE is running it right now...After years of having a restaurant on site, I really enjoy NOT having one..And I believe my guests would feel the same after you visit & enjoy the grounds...Our beach front "Rancho" "Palapa" is the best place to relax, sit, rest in Hammocks out of the blazing sun but able to watch the surf & sunsets!! When we had a running restaurant, it got so busy from OUTSIDE people NOT staying at hotel, eating out under the "Rancho" & because some guy bought a drink, he felt he owned the hammock all day, but NOT staying at the Sandpiper! So my guests had no quite / relaxing place to sit & watch the waves & sunset..When one of our restaurants were serving dinner, we had people coming in at 9:30 at night wanting dinner, while my guests are trying to sleep..There are 6 restaurants, 1 bakery, 2 little markets within 5 min. walk of my place..A restaurant just doesn't fit for my guests!
7) Surf Movies on big screen..Funny you say that..No, I have not had that for years..I went through 2 projectors & a light bulb that costs $300.00 for a projector..Sorry, but having a hotel ON the beach just KILLS electronics!!
8) Expensive! This subject is crazy! $80.00 a night for your clean safe room on the beach with A/C, pool, night guard, ping-pong, Wifi, beautiful places to sit / relax & be safe, parking...Wow! Do you know I live here & I pay $6.00 a gallon for gas, my electric bill is $1,400.00 a month, food in the Walmart market are more than what we pay in the US..To go out & eat here, you spend $20.00 easy...How our we supposed to survive? Costa Rica is NOT cheap & especially living here..You might find a place at cheaper, but I don't live on rice & beans..Do you?
Thank you for your review..Helps me make my place a better place..Pura Vida!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I found this hotel on trip adviser because it was rated the best hotel in Playa Hermosa on a budget, and they were right. My boyfriend and I stayed in the front bottom room, which was perfect. The best view, great a/c, and plenty of space. Immediately after meeting greg, hotel owner, he asked us if we wanted to join in on several trips he was making. He took us to Manual Antonio, Villa Caletas, and a ride to the festival taking place in town. He also took us to all the best restaurants in Jaco. Him and my boyfriend spent countless hours surfing together in front of the hotel and he also drove to another spot down south. Greg also had a bonfire on the beach one night which was really cool. The overall vibe at the hotel was relaxing, comforting and fun. Music would play all day long and the pool was so refreshing. We would spend most nights watching the sunset then at about 6:30pm greg would take all the guest, who wanted, into Jaco for dinner and usually a market run after. After spending two weeks at the Sandpiper I didn't want to leave. I would definitely recommend this spot to anyone traveling through Playa Hermosa!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #6. It had one big bed, I believe a queen size, and two bunk beds. The A/C worked...
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is *the* place to stay in Hermosa (Jaco). From the moment we arrived Greg made us feel like family. Greg pointed us in the right direction for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between. We had coconuts right off the tree, dinner at Graffiti and Lemon Zest, Taco Bar and Bubba's in Jaco with Greg. Greg treated us with a ride to Villa Caletas for sunset, Manual Antonio for a hike/swim in the park as well as countless lifts to Jaco for groceries. He knows the right spot to rent a surf board in Jaco. Bring your iPod and ask Greg if you can hook it up to his overhead speakers so that you have some tunes to lounge with in the rancho on the hammock. No matter what you do in Hermosa, you will not be disappointed with your stay at the Sandpiper! We are already making plans for a return trip! Thx Greg + Cory (coconut loving dog!)

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs ocean view room! A/C and size of room was perfect!!!
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My boyfriend and I, along with two other couples stayed at the Sandpiper for a week over New Years! First of all the location was amazing! Black sand beach, and the jungle right next to each other. (Careful the sand is HOT! We even resorted to wearing socks on the sand! Not cute, but better than burnt feet!) Even if it did burn our feet it was worth it! The beach was amazing! So pretty to stand on the beach and see nothing but water and jungle! The hotel itself was perfect! We had everything we needed! The rooms had gorgeous murals and really neat furniture made right near Playa Hermosa. There was a a great area in the center of the hotel where you could hang out and play ping pong with friends. There was an awesome little pool to lounge and you could watch the Macaws in the trees above you! Greg, the owner is so very accommodating! He makes sure you have everything you need! He took us up to this gorgeous hotel at the top of a mountain to watch the sunset! He even made reservations for us to go zip-lining and drove us over there and made sure we were all set up before leaving! He had tons of suggestions for restaurants and activities to try out! Greg even cut down coconuts for us to try! So fun whacking a coconut open! There was so much to do and see! But we also enjoyed just relaxing in the hammocks in the Rancho that overlooks the ocean. It's beautiful! As far as the restaurants go, there were a ton of amazing restaurants within a 5 minute walk!! Bowie's Point was a favorite! The guests at the hotel were all so very nice! We made a lot of new friends! Greg creates an atmosphere at his hotel that is friendly and fun! His goal is for everyone to have a great time! We were there over New Years so we got a fantastic fireworks show right on the beach! Greg said off a ton of fireworks as well as other hotels along the beach! We had an amazing trip that we will never forget, and we are already planning our next trip out there!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at The Sandpiper last week and we were pleasantly surprised by everything that they had to offer us. Every morning we ate breakfast at the charming cafe located within walking distance of The Sandpiper. Every afternoon we either walked RIGHT on to the beach, swam in the pool, or just relaxed on the hammocks under the shade of the cabana (They even played chill music outside, in the patio areas). At night, the owner was nice enough to drive us to whatever restaurant or attraction we asked him to and even ate with us. As far as the innkeeper goes, you could not ask for a friendlier person. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone as resourceful. This is the type of hospitality and service that you just. don't. see. anymore, and which far surpasses the efforts of the surrounding competitor-resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for either the room on the end, upstairs-with the ocean view so you can listen to the waves as y...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Tramonto
#18 of 41 in Jaco
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club

Been to Sandpiper Hotel? Share your experiences!