“Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Cabinas Rancho Grande
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Paradise”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week and loved it. We took a cab from the airport upon arrival, but if you can make it past the insistent taxi drivers and get to the bus heading to Jaco, you will save lots of money! Once we arrived, Brian, the owner, helped me carry my luggage to our room. We joined him for dinner that night as well and he is a riot! The taco bar in Jaco was delicious! Our room definitely had the minimalist décor touch but rightfully so. There is way too much to do in Costa Rica to keep yourself cooped up in a room all day! Free Wi-Fi, private bathrooms, cable and hot water were all included. Plus I can honestly say, I did not see one insect in our room during our entire stay! Shared kitchen available for common use in the downstairs area. Steps away from the beach too! When the sun rises at 5 am, and the roosters start their cooing...we were up and checking the waves within moments! This place was affordable and everyone there was super helpful with whatever we needed. I highly recommend this spot to anyone! I can't wait to return! Ps. Bring sun screen and bug spray! The mosquitos are hungry!

Room Tip: I imagine any room on the 3rd floor will be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Brian's Rancho Grande was recommended by a friend who has lived in Costa Rica since the 1990's. My friend's first Costa trip was 1974, so I listen to what he says. My wife and I drove in from San Jose and Cabinas Rancho Grande was easy to find. Brian had our room ready and it was clean and everything worked well, TV, AC, ceiling fan, great flowing shower. Owner Brian was extremely helpful and a wealth of information. Surf right out front less than a block with several good peaks to choose from. Good restaurant choices of numerous price ranges close-by. We met a wide variety of people. Easy drive into crowded Jaco for the great Friday farmers market or to see a tourist town. Communal kitchen is basic but serviceable. We would stay again and felt the price is quite fair. A four star resort it's not, but I've spent a few nights in 4 stars and overall, I enjoyed this better because of the "real" people, the owner, and the surfing. There is nothing artificial about this place. Thanks Brian. TG and Cindy

Room Tip: Upstairs facing the water was breezy and I could check a peak of the surf a short block away. There...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom G
Santo Domingo de Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I spent one night here and the owner was nice enough to let me stay with my small puppy. The hostal is about 1 block from the beach and is simple. The room was clean and I had cable TV (but no remote control), wifi and a good shower.

The one drawback was the communal kitchen which was quite dirty. There seemed to be a leak in the sink and all the plates under the sink were filled with dirty water. Someone also left some food out all night and it was crawling with bugs.

I'd recommend this place if you need a reasonably priced placed to stay near the beach but don't expect anything fancy.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ewethey
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I figured this would be a steal at the price, and my expectations were not high (I just wanted a clean, relatively comfortable place to stay 2 nights, with no frills as I wasn't going to do much more than sleep and shower there). But the room was unclean, the sheets didn't even really look washed. A lightbulb was out and the owner didn't replace it despite repeated requests, so we spent two nights and mornings in darkness, barely able to see our bags. I would happily spend a few more bucks for one of the many other options in town.

To add to that, the owner undercharged me when I checked out (and I was sleepy and in a rush, so I didn't even notice at the time), but he came running out to my car yelling as I was packing, accusing me of trying to cheat him and being really rude. I was of course fine to pay what I owed, but was pretty offended. I won't be back.

No towels, no soap in the bathroom either, so come prepared. Or don't come at all. The "communal kitchen" was dirty and crawling with bugs (we also found a couple bugs in our room). I know there are always bugs in certain regions, but when it looks like the owners don't care to at least do their part to keep things clean, I say pass.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CJ1919
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I stayed at this place over Thanksgiving of 2011 and it was what I was looking for. A very simple place wtih a bed and a bathroom. I was there only to sleep and did not want or need any regular hotel frills. Plus all the people that come and go were very interesting. Also a place to cook food and a small fridge in the common area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bridget H
Glen Rose, Texas
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights during our recent trip to Costa Rica. It's a great location if you want to be close to the beach, restaurants, a bus stop, and a store. Nothing fancy, and we didn't have hot water as is typical here, but it was just what we needed. We enjoyed our stay very much, and our host, Roberto, was very accommodating and helpful. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RenegadeHorsewomen
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Cabinas was recommended to us by fellow travelers and did not disappoint. For a decent rate we were treated to a clean 3 bed, 3/4 bath hostel room, that was every bit as nice as hotel rooms we had previously stayed at. The shared kitchen was basic, but functional, with fridge, stove top and basic cooking supplies.

Brian, our host, helped us out with travel tips, hiking recommendations - even a ride to a neighboring town.

If we could find one fault, it would be that our room seemed to be the only one without much hot water pressure, but there was also an outdoor shower with blasting hot water if we wanted to use it. This was an issue for my girlfriend, but seeing as it was 100+ degrees outside, I didn't find this to be much of a problem.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel Tramonto
#18 of 41 in Jaco
Copacabana Hotel & Suites
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club

Been to Cabinas Rancho Grande? Share your experiences!