Lion Quays
  • Breakfast included
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
1,392 results
All reviewsspa facilitiessteam roombuffet lunchcanal sidehuge tvgreat spaspa breakchanging roomsresident peacockseparate buildingevening mealsmall balconybuffet stylebirthday treatboth nightsfood was lovelyan overnight stay
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Booked a spa day for myself & mom, when we first arrived at the impressive reception area we were little more than numbers being ticked off a list... we were shown the locker room & that was it! We would of least expected a tour, so after trying to find everything ours selves we gave up & asked a member of staff to show us round... surely that should be standard customer service in a 4* resort?? We decided to go for a swim first... that was abit tricky as it was full and quite a few kids splashing round too! So decided to go in the hydro pool... that was packed too! The only thing thing that was free was the ice room, which was nice but no seating so stood there for 5 mins till it got to cold for us. It was just way to busy to enjoy anything, what a shame the Lion quays spa are just trying to get as many people in as possible and just thinking of making as much money as possible... they are missing the important point of the personal touch which you definately don't get there, you really are just a number and a pound sign! Would definatley not return to this spa... it was way to busy for my liking and really lacking a friendly customer rapport.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Burgess-Marsh
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at the above hotel for a friends wedding. As we are quite local to the area we have hear of the lion quays and had high expectations for it. However we were very disappointed; the room smelt of smoke (so much so that the following morning my hubbie and i woke up with chesty coughs), bed was a small double and very spongey, complimentary shower gels etc we only half full - which was hardly enough to share between the two of us, breakfast very poor - luke warm food and not a great selection. The room overall was very average but did have a nice view of the canal and a very nice powerful shower. The food for the wedding was nicely done.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has been non smoking (i thought this was standard nowadays)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SJAR_Around_India
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I stayed here last weekend with my boyfriend and our friend on a spa package.

The hotel.
The location is excellent, right on the main road but set back enough for road noise not to be a issue, there is also opportunities for pleasant walks along tow paths on the adjacent canal. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the rooms clean with large a TV, wonderful shower, luxury toiletries and good sized cups. Our friend's room was the best one being a real double room and having a balcony. Unfortunately this showed up a huge flaw in our otherwise adequately room, our room was actually a twin with the beds pushed together and whilst I am used to hotels using zip and link beds, they usually use a mattress topper to smooth out the join and as 2 single together are larger than a double, a larger quilt is used. In our case there was none of this meaning that either one of you ends up lying on the join or in the cold as the quilt barely covered the bed so didn't allow for 2 bodies lying apart. As a good nights sleep is the most important thing for me in a hotel this has meant I can only give a rating of 4. Also as a twin there were 2 separate headboards on the wall which left the room looking odd when the beds where pushed together.

The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and a good standard of food.

The Spa.
I have used the spa before & found the hydrotherapy pool & jacuzzi a little on the cool side this time which is an unusual complaint for me as I often find them too warm. This aside the whole atmosphere was perfect with lots of different areas to relax and the changing room was spot on. In the hydrotherapy suit itself, the lighting worked well to help us relax and my boyfriend especially liked the ice cave.
My friend & I had a facial which we both found to be very good with every step explained and when we compared notes it was obvious that they were tailored to our respective skin types and not a quick "1 size fits all". My boyfriend had a back massage which he had no complaints about and said compared well with other he had had.
We also had the spa buffet which at £10 a head I would probably give a miss next time and choose from Nico's lunch menu instead. The food was all fine but a bit limited for choice especially salad wise and my boyfriend didn't enjoy any of it. All in all a top class spa which was clean & well maintained and only let down by the cool hydrotherapy pool which I guess is just sign of the times when every penny counts.

Room Tip: ask for a true double and not a remade twin if possible. Also next time, I'm going to be cheeky and ask if a balcony room over the canal is available :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank snuffy-laz
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Went on a midweek spa break through special deal on Facebook. Spa was fantastic but would suggest doing the spa day on your second day as you would get longer. Staff lovely. The only problem was asked if there were any paracetamol anywhere and was told they had none. Second day found machine in country club changing rooms staff should have known that. Other wise food nice in waterside restaurant and rooms clean and nice.

Room Tip: We had a twin room very nice
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Checked into the room and had a courtesy call.
Reported:
Dirty carpet and mould behind the shower.
They offered to come and clean the mould.

Later discovered the TV didnt work.
I reported it but was told they all had issues although our friends was working okay.

Checked it again periodically during our stay and it never worked once!
They did little to correct this or show any interest in fixing it.

The wedding was fab but I am reviewing my hotel stay.

When we tried to book the stay under the wedding party it was actually more expensive than booking online and our friends booked over the telephone and got a different price again, Very strange.

We did use the swimming pool and the gym and that was good but the service seems primitive and the room wasnt 4 star for the reasons stated.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple