Lion Quays
Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,390 results
All reviewsspa facilitiessteam roombuffet lunchcanal sidehuge tvgreat spaspa breakchanging roomsresident peacockseparate buildingevening mealsmall balconybuffet stylebirthday treatboth nightsfood was lovelyan overnight stay
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked this hotel via Off Peak Luxury for my friends hen weekend, they were offering a 2 night package at £180 per person with evening meals, breakfast and spa use included, great value.

First Impressions - Hotel is lovely and the setting is great. We arrived just before 3pm so our rooms were not ready but we were happy to have a wonder around the complex (spa is just a short walk from the main hotel building)

After checking in we found that both rooms were doubles not twin as requested, headed back to reception to let them know and the receptionist advised that they didn't have that on our notes and that they were fully booked but she would get someone to check if the beds could be split - unfortunately not so it was a very cosy night for me and my friend!!

We did notice that out air con was not working properly in our room so on our way to breakfast we headed to reception to let them know, receptionist was not very helpful, just said that she doubted it would get fixed but she would make a note so we left it at that!!

Headed to the spa/gym building and we were given a locker key and fresh towels so managed to make use of the gym facilities, very good.

We were booked into the Waterside restaurant for tea, lovely atmosphere for a Saturday night, there was also a wedding going on so it was very busy.

Had a fantastic 3 course meal, cant fault the food at all and service was really good - headed back on the Sunday night which was quieter but the food was still as good.

I had booked us in at the Spa on the Sunday, not quite as organised as I hoped, took us around 20 minutes to actually get into the changing rooms and at that point we had not even had a tour of the facilities!

Once we had been shown around I was really impressed by the size, it is spread over 2 floors with various steam rooms, saunas and relaxation areas (it is a must to head to the Sauna and the Snow Cave, fantastic!) which was great as it was very busy. We had a buffet lunch booked at Nico's restaurant - be warned though, they don't allow you to add drinks to your room bill so make sure you take money with you. Wasn't overly impressed with the selection but the food itself was lovely.

Was a little disappointed that there were not more complimentary refreshments available, only spotted a bowl of fresh fruit once and the drinks were very limited - think this should definitely be addressed.

Overall we had a great stay and my friend really enjoyed it - we would definitely go back

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Well, where do I start? There are so many things wrong with this place, it could take a novel to document them all!

When we arrived at the hotel, we were relieved to discover that our room was on the third floor (the quietest part of the hotel) and went to settle in to our '4-star' room. We were greeted with what can only be described as a 'budget hotel' style room...not something you expect from the hefty price tag associated with the Lion Quays. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, there were holes above the french doors and the furniture had seen better days. It was so disappointing to know that this drab room was ours for the next two nights.

The next morning, after a disrupted nights sleep (the walls are like paper), we were awoken by the sound of cleaners across the hallway. What an 'unfortunate' place to have a cleaners' office...opposite the residents' rooms. There was no attempt to keep the noise to a minimum which I would have thought would be a priority in a 'relaxing spa hotel', so we got up and went to have a shower. Another faux pas. The water was cold! Both myself and my partner showered in discomfort, hoping that the water would run warm - no such luck.
Now, to the piece de resistance...the Waterside Restaurant. Never in all my days on this Earth have I been confronted with such vile, inedible slop as that served at the hotel's restaurant. After a lack-lustre starter of anaemic chicken liver pate with brioche :S I ordered the sea bass for main course. What a huge mistake! I knew something was awry when the slimy fillet appeared with the shrivelled mussels on top - they looked like they had been dredged out of the neighbouring canal. I had two mouthfuls of the fish and pushed the mussels to the edge of my plate. Despite complaining and being offered free desserts, which we didn't accept, there was no apology from the Manager. Infact, she couldn't even be bothered to come and talk to us.

We went back to our room, hungry and dissatisfied. If only this has been the end. Half an hour later, I ran to the toilet and spent the next 20 mins there. I can't prove that it was food poisoning but I hadn't eaten anywhere else that day.

Because of my concerns, I called down to reception so they could alert the kitchen staff about the dodgy food. They brought some water up to my room (as requested) but yet again, there was no apology from the Manager.

Never have I stayed in such an establishment as the Lion Quays. This place doesn't deserve its 4-star rating - tired rooms, inept staff and food which makes you sick. Avoid this place at all costs. It's not worth the money they charge (even the Travelzoo offers) or the hassle it creates.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aberkiddog
Claire B, Manager at Lion Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Aberkiddog,

Thank you for your feedback and the email that you also sent to us. We have replied in full to your comments by email. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your recent visit and that you feel the issues you raised with our staff in the resort weren’t dealt with satisfactorily.

With regard to your comments about the restaurant food, we have been in contact with the EHO and they are confident that there are no issues with regard to hygiene in our kitchens. We sold several of the Sea Bass dishes during this service and we did not receive any other negative comments.

If you wish to discuss any aspects of your stay please do contact our Resort Manager as requested in the email.

Regards
Claire Binns
Group Marketing Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We spent two nights in the Hotel on the 24th and 25th April for our daughters wedding and had a wonderful time. The wedding itself was perfect everything went to plan and was organised every step of the way. Nothing was too much trouble all the Staff were helpful from the cleaners, reception, bar and restaurant staff etc. Big thanks to Adam the 'Toastmaster' who made sure there were no glitches along the way and who couldn't have been more helpful. We ate in the Restaurant the night before the wedding and the food was excellent. The wedding breakfast also was well organised and the food excellent. Yes the rooms are a little tired and could do with some t.l.c. but they are clean with lovely comfortable beds . All in all we would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Spa was very good, although lacked enough loungers. There seemed to be the 'German' effect with the towels on the loungers. We arrived at 10am but although they weren't being used towels were just on them and so we didn't manage for two of us to even lie on one until 3:30pm before our treatments at 4pm. That's the only problem we had with the spa. Everything else was 5*
The hotel .. :/ was not what I was expecting, even more basic than a travel lodge. With need of a revamp.
Damp room as nit extractor fan, no hair dryer, mattress slides of the beds (twin).
In our stay was an evening meal included. It was ok but the combinations little to random.
I did fill out a feedback form with even more detail with my contact number etc but have not heard back - over a month ago.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a wedding. The hotel facilities & room where excellent . We had an excellent quite , comftable nights sleep. The breakfast was good and plentiful . The staff where pleasant. All I would say on a negative note are the drinks and food are very expensive . And management should look at pricing there menus and drinks in line with the local economy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends