“Nice place, very good value.”
Review of Balcony Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kratie
Balcony Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 19 Kratie B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This place appears to have had very mixed reviews over the months, along with the town in general - I can only say that our experience was all good. It's extremely cheap (we paid $6 for a large double room with wall mounted fan), clean, quiet, and well located. Plus at the end of the day you can sit on that balcony with a beer and a great view of the sunset.
The owner/manager speaks excellent English and met us from the bus with his tuk tuk to take us to the guest house (It's only a 10 minute walk but nice to have a lift in the dark). He sorted out bikes for us for $3 a day and there is also a desk near the entrance which has leaflets of the various rides you can do up and down the Mekong - dolphin watching, visiting villages etc.
Incidentally, I would thoroughly recommend doing a couple of these. The roads are pretty good and not that busy and it's a really pleasant ride.
I also enjoyed Kratie as a whole. We ended up staying an extra night (three in total) as there was plenty to see and do there.
In brief - it's not the Ritz, and it could probably do with a bit of paint and a garden makeover - but certainly for anyone backpacking it's a good place to spend a few days.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The staff at the Balcony are very nice and helpful. Located a 5 minute walk from the centre of town and where the buses drop off is great.

For the price it is great value. Large room with fan that worked, hot water and free wifi. Probably could do with a bit of attention such as a lick of paint but that's a small gripe.

Enjoyed watching the sun set from the balcony with a cold beer.

Special thanks to the manager who was very helpful guy. Even picked us up when our bus arrived late from Siem Reap.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robbie4567
Reviewed 1 November 2013

A very nice family run gueathouse on the river front. The place is old and dusty but the bed is clean and the food is very good. The doube rooms are huge. We had AC. Free wifi. Just a walk around the coner from the bus stop but they will also pick you up for free if you want.

They also sorted our dolphin tour at a great price and our onward bus back to the captial.

Its a lovely view from the balcony for the sunset. One of the best skylines you'll see on a good night.

All in all we were very happy with our stay and we would have no problem coming back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our room on the ground floor was basic but it was clean. There were one or two mozzies but these were quickly desptached. The air con wasn't working but the room was still a comfortable temperature and was priced accordingly. We found the food to be good, fresh and tasty although the service was slow. The manager was very helpful and spoke very good English so no complaints with regards to disinterested staff. We were also allowed to check out very late which saved us a lot of hassle with luggage. Overall thought it was good value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had booked by phone through our previous hotel. Because of an internet black out it was the only place in kratie we know the phone number. 12 $ a room with air conditioning. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was the mouse escrements on the stairs. Then they showed us a filthy room again with mouse escrements and a flooded bathroom. Only at my request, they came to "clean" the room.... We kept the room for a while, but tried to find something better in kratie (there is, and not much costlier). As soon as we found we paid one night and left. Stay away...

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcogourmet
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I arrived there at 7 PM and the first night people broke in into my room and stole a lot of expensive equipment and money. It wasn't the first time this happened. On arrival I get offered two rooms. One room on the first floor and one room on the ground floor. I wanted to stay for 3 days but the staff told me the room on the first floor was only available for one night. So to save myself the hassle of moving after one night, I took the room on the ground floor.

Because all my money and other equipment was gone, I still had to stay there for a couple of days. Nobody took the room on the first floor during that period. Other travelers in that hostel told me the same story.

It's of course hard to prove but I wouldn't be surprised the hostel staff has something to do with it. A lot of things and events just don't fit. Even the police wasn't very helpful.

Stay away from that hostel or at least from the ground floor. It still freaks me out knowing they took my phone which l placed next to me in my bed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank StijnVanB
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Booked ac room, we heard from others that they knew the airco did not work, but tried to sell it voor ac price anyway. Food is not food at all and you have to wait a long time for it.
But worst of all: staff seems not interested in running a guesthouse at all. We didn't mind the room was very basic (what can you expect for that price), we didn't mind the bathroom was very dirty and poor maintained, but we did mind the complete lack of service from the staff.
View from balcony is the only good thing here

I would not consider one second to go back to this place

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple