Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsboat ridesimple interiorevery single dishblue moondiving daysarranged everythingpoor weatherla sirenettacoron citygreat place to stayresto barsim cardhot water in the showerquiet placerooms are basicisland resortcoral gardens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Had a great fun filled 4 days vacation at this resort. Excellent location (10-15 min boat ride from town), professional service, friendly staff, smart and timely arrangements for tours, good food and personal touch. We opted for full board option that included meals. Being vegeterian arranging food was a challenge, but Little Mama and Riza ensured all our requirements from food, kid meals, lunch packs, breakfast, etc to airport transfers were timely and perfect. All our tours were arranged by resort at a very reasonable price and the boatmen from the resort were very helpful and knowledgable. AC rooms were simple, elegant and with all baisc necessities. View from resort was breathtaking specially during sunset and very early morning. A definite recommendation for those seeking simple and funfilled island living experience with great hospitality

Room Tip: We opted for AC rooms for getting sound sleep after a tiring day. Some points to consider - 1) Water is not heated 2) During day time (9 am till 5 pm )there can be electricity cut. But if you are planning to island hop or dive, this might not matter so much
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank NilayMehta
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned from a 4 nights dive holiday at Discovery Island Resort and I really loved it. From the personal greetings from Riza and Alan (the resort proprietor) upon arrival to the total professionalism of their associated dive instructors and the kind and attentive house staff, I recommend and give Discovery Island Resort 5+ stars!

Luke, Christine, and Marcel knew the dive sites inside/out. As a still beginner diver, I felt 100% comfortable and confident diving with them and what an experience it was. Their equipment was top-notch. Wrecks and reefs, all kinds of fish and sea life, winnowing our way into and out of wrecks. In 3 days of diving, I earned certifications in SDI Advanced Adventurer and SDI Computer Nitrox for a very reasonable price!

You can also order sandwiches, salad, mains, drinks, and beer from the resort to take on the dive boat; beer of course to be enjoyed only after diving is done for the day. There’s nothing quite like quaffing an ice cold San Miguel on the boat with a breathtaking view of ocean and islands after a great day of diving. After the 3 days, I am a much more confident diver than before. I absolutely recommend Discovery Diving for any diving in Coron. Don’t take your chance with some fly-by-night outfit, I’ve done it before and it ruins your holiday.

Back to the resort. Discovery Island Resort is located on Decanituan Island just off the bigger Busuanga Island about 30 minutes by van from the airport and 10 minutes boat ride from Coron Town. It is a private island so I felt completely safe without tourist touts, scooters whizzing by, or other annoyances that staying in town might offer.

I stayed in the lodge and the rooms were comfortable. There was a fan, but the door was often opened to catch the warm ocean breeze swept off the bay. I checked out the few cottages and bay views were absolutely amazing. Definitely worth paying a little more to stay in the cottages.

I know another reviewer downgraded the resort for not offering hot water but honestly it’s so hot that semi-cold showers are quite refreshing.

Me and my friends chose the full board meals option with 3 full-on meals per day. This was quite nice. Lunch and dinner included soup, salad, main course, and dessert. If you walked away still hungry, then no amount of food will satisfy you. There were plenty of mains to satisfy any palate – local Filipino, popular American and European fares.

Overall I can’t wait to come back on another (hopefully longer) dive holiday!

Room Tip: go for one of the cottages. breathtaking bay views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank iamzpj
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed 6 days 5 nights at this resort. The views are amazing and the overall stay is very comfortable. Knew in advance from little mama that there was no hot shower and electricity can go out sometimes. Food was great, the owners, little mama and her hubby Alan are just wonderful people. They'll go out of their way to accommodate your needs within their capabilities and try their best to make sure you are enjoying your stay.

The dive team here is also very professional. I trained both for the Open Water as well as the Advanced Adventure certification. Marcel is the owner and instructor and Luke is the other instructor. Great people, very experienced, and I felt safe throughout the training and learned lots.

Would definitely come back and refer friends and family!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Discovery was a great place to stay for a few nights, even if you don't scuba dive. My wife and I are divers (I'm actually a divemaster), but we came to isolate ourselves and do nothing. This is a great place to do nothing, as it's an island, Decanituan. Nowhere to go, and nothing to do. Bring a good book! There is no beach, just a bit of rocky area to lay out at on some lounges. A great bar and restaurant right on the mangrove-lined waterfront. Simple, clean cottages. We were in a native cottage, which had a great veranda and hammock. I like a bit of a/c, but we tried the fan room. I was uncomfortable at night, as the humidity was rough due to rain. I would go with an a/c room next time. No bugs or mosquitos. Cold shower, which felt good in the heat. Alan, an Englishman, and his wife, Little Mama (Merly), a Pilapina, were excellent hosts, moving from guest to guest, ensuring all was well for your stay. Very kind folks, and entertaining as well! The divers seemed to really enjoy the packages offered, and would sit at dinner each night, exchanging stories of the day. A boat ride to Coron Town (about 20 minutes) is available 24/7, for a modest fee. Satellite TV in the bar for sports. A pool table in the bar, also. A very clean, well-managed resort, with reasonable prices for what you get. The beer is cold and cheap. Good meals. Ongoing building of new cottages while we were there, but done fairly quietly and tastefully. Again, bring a good book if you're not planning on diving all day. We would recommend this place as a nice change from the bustle of Coron Town. One point- I had booked this place after researching at home on the internet, and had read there was horseback riding and kayaking available. Just to be clear, neither are available.

Room Tip: Book a native cottage, higher-up on the hill, for better breezes and view. Get an a/c room unless you are comfortable with a small floor fan in the humidity of a small island.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank banyannook
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I just came back from a March 7 to 10 vacation from Coron, Palawan. We stayed at Discovery Divers Resort at Decanituan Island. The resort is run by couple Allan and Little Mama (unfortunately, she was in Manila and didn't get to meet her). The resort is a short boat ride from Coron town, which is a big plus as you wouldn't want to be at sea at night from a delayed flight. Discovery Diver's location is perfect - its a small island away from the noisy town but close enough to town should you decide to go on a whim. It's also close to everything you came to Coron for (the amazing hidden lakes and pristine beaches). A boat ride to and from town will cost P100 per head on the resort's service boat.
We were booked in a native cottage, our room was quite an uphill walk (we got room #14) and quite a distance to the main restaurant/reception. The room was basic but spacious with just a bed and fan. No tables, no chairs, (table and 2 chairs are out on the veranda) no ref/bar, no safe, no TV but there's a resident gecko (tuko) to keep you company ;). I asked for a mosquito net to be set up as I don't like waking up in the morning with giant lizards on our bed. Harmless, yes, but totally freaked me out as I'm scared to death of lizards. So imagine my horror when I saw the grandaddy of them all on our wall. I thought it was a decoration until it moved its head. The bathroom was rustic and spacious. It can be improved with additional racks and maybe a table to put stuff on. The drums of water can go as it offers no use. It only attracts mosquitoes and you wouldn't want to use stocked water anyway. The water from the shower can be a bit cold but it was refreshing after a hot and humid day out at sea.
The staff were welcoming and warm. They were all very helpful esp Allan and Venus. Part of our package is the one day island hopping tour. On our day 3, we have nothing to do anymore and asked Allan if they can book us another island tour -this time to go to Malcapuya Island. He advised us not to go as wind and big waves are quite dangerous. If you go directly to boat rentals, they'd say yes as that means money whether you reach your destination or not. We were told that roof of boats were ripped off and waves were 1-2 meters high as Malcapuya Island is on open sea. So check first with the locals before you go as they know better about the "amihan" and the "habagat" winds.
Special mention should go out to the cooks Elvie and Eliza -- they're the best. Their Bicol express is to die-for! Authentic and very tasty. My husband and I ate with our hands when they served us their Bicol Express, grilled pork (not on the menu, but ask the server what's fresh from the market) and calamares. Cap your dinner with their mango crepe. Perfect! San Mig Light is P70/bottle and Red Horse (Stallion) is P80. They charge for hot water, btw, at P10 per mug. They don't have room service and they change towels every two days. Wi-fi at the reception/resto is free. Bottomline is we liked it here and will be back at this resort whenever in Coron.

Room Tip: I saw their newer "Lodge" made of concrete and maybe there's no resident gecko there.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jrcl
flipSwitzerland, Marketing Director at Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Little Mama is back on the island dishing out more menu specials - glad to be back
Looking forward to seeing you again soon - keep in touch on our Facebook Page