Arriving in Coron by boat, we were a bit worried about the resort being "on another island", but there's nothing to worry about. The fact that the resort is on a small, separate island (less than 10min with the hotel's boat) is just a blessing. While Coron Town is loud, sweaty and dirty, the resort is quiet and peaceful.
We stayed in a native island cottage, which was a great choice. We didn't have AC, which worried us a bit first, but since the walls are not of concrete (but some woven... reed?), the air can circulate well, keeping the cottage cool. Apparently each cottage has a gecko (huge one!), which eats all the insects - works great and won't bother you.
The room was really nice and cosy, and far away from the other cottages that you're not disturbed by your neighbours. The view from the cottage was absolutely breathtaking.
The food was really, really good, and there was a lot to choose from (incl. tea, which came in a pot!). We went into Coron one day, but really - there's nothing there to see, so don't waste your time on it. The hot springs are nice, but it's a bit shabby.
If you want to go diving, you need to be into wreck-diving (incl. going into the wrecks). Being new diver's, we weren't prepared for ships at 20-30m depth, and were a bit disappointed with only that being offered. Maybe we should have been more clear with our preferences before going out.
However, there are a lot of day trips if you want to go island hopping and snorkeling. Especially the one recommended (with Kayangan lake, Twin lagoon etc) is absolutely amazing - so many cool spots and so much to see! Just bring cash in smaller denominations (around 100 php), as each site has a small entry fee (around 100-150 pesos), to keep the area maintained. The snorekeling and swimming on that tour was among our best experiences on our whole trip to the Philippines.
If we come back to Coron, we'll definately be staying here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Back to 100% after Typhoon Haiyan. An Island resort and dive center on its own island just 5 minutes from Coron Town. Tranquil location with individual rustic cottages and modern lodge rooms. All rooms en-suite. Warm hospitality and good food. Ideal for island hoppers and divers. Private Coron Island Tours operated from the resort to show you the best and most beautiful spots that Coron has to offer at your own pace. With one of the most experienced dive centers in Coron, come dive Corons wrecks, lakes or coral reefs with Discovery Divers from our resort. Kayaking, seafaris around Calamianes Islands are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Divers Resort Coron Hotel Coron
- Discovery Divers Hotel
- Discovery Island Resort And Dive Center Coron, Philippines - Palawan Island