“Quiet little place”

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Rotterdam
“Quiet little place”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Discovery Divers Coron is a wonderful quiet little place where you can relax and feel at home. The resort consists of six bungalows. This number of bungalows is perfect as it will never be too crowded at the resort. I also really like the fact that everybody has dinner togerther! For me, being on my own, it was a perfect way to meet other people.
The staff is wonderful! They are very hospitable and friendly, always asking me if everything was ok or if I needed anything. The bungalows are a good size and clean. Although there is no hot water, the shower always works and so do the tabs at the sink. I found it wonderful to have my own balcony, where one can sit and relax without being disturbed by other guests.
The food at the resort was good and I found that they kitchen staff had even taken notice of my food allergies! I was amazed, because usually resorts really don't take notice of that.
All in all my stay was wonderful. For those who seek a five star resort with all amenities thinkable, this might not be the place for you. This resort is basic, but has everything you need!!!
Last but not least I would like to contradict the two reviews written before me. I never saw any cockroaches anywhere nor did I see any other nasty insects in my bungalow. Fact is that when you are staying in the tropics you should always be prepared for insects and small lizards. Also the fact that it was said that you are " held hostage" is ridiculous! If you want to go out for dinner instead of having dinner at the resort, the staff will organize a boat which will take you to the mainland and will pick you up when you want. The dogs are cared for in a good manner and the staff handles them with love and care!
I would like to finish with saying again, that I had a wonderful stay and that I will recommend this resort to family and friends!

Suzanne Wegelin

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Planet Earth
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Booked 2 weeks at this "resort" for cockroaches thru Save Money Diving (Buyer Beware of this Company). We were totally burned once we got there. There is NO clean or hot water to wash with. (Makes me curious how the kitchen was cleaned of bacteria?)
The huts are up a hill with poorly constructed steps in rocks with dim lighting, just perfect for breaking your neck down a long flight of jagged rock steps.
Then when you get to your hut that is a nipa hut open and exposed for every creepy crawly.Sure they supply you with one ripped mosquito net that doesn't prevent the gecko crap from dripping off the roof on your bed and feet at night. Or that cats from screaming when the staff at the resort are feeding it to the giant python located right next to the kitchen and don't mind the staff abusing the 3 dogs either. You are also not alowed to leave at night since water sports are prohibited at night and since your on an Island your held hostage. Not only do they charge you just to leave they take you to small beaches where they charge you just to lay on 20 feet of beach?? The Diving is not safe they gave us a broken regulator, a tank with no air, not enough weight and a suit too tight at the surface. Tried to contact Save Money Diving they took our money and ignored all request for help. Don't waste your time visting this place. However after we checked out 2 days later staff told us it was bought buy a new owner. GOOD LUCK!

Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TenochSun
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 15 December 2008

First of all, I don't agree with 2 first reviews. My opinion is completely different.
It's not a "resort" (who called it like this???), it's only six, ten years old, huts on the hill which offer at most half-star standard of accomodation.
Be warned! There is no hot water and air con. But there are often blackouts and lack of cold water.
You can choose between hut with family of big lizards (about 20cm) or cockroach. We had lizards, it's not a big deal, they only make a poop everyday on your bad and sometimes wake you up in the middle of the night by making strange noise like "peqoo". First night I thought we have gremlins inside ;-).
In our huts roof was leaking, we had a lot of mould and bathroom wasn't clean.
There are mosquito nets in the windows, but between wall and roof there is a big gap (about 20cm) without anything, so everything can get in easely.
Although location is nice, restaurant and food is ok and staff and manager are really nice and helpfull.
There is diveshop at the site, but completely disorganized with only a hut for keeping the gear.
I absolutely NOT RECOMMEND this "resort".

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very old not clean hut
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wladdy_ex
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 4 May 2008

We (my wife and myself, our baby and our maid) stayed at Discovery Divers for an extended weekend in February. We went wreck diving and island-hopping, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The resort is the only habitation on a small, mangrove-ringed island just off Busuanga island. Due to the mangroves, the small beach is muddy, and there are no corals to be seen. The few huts are on a forested slope, quiet, airy and clean.
The resort makes a good base for diving and island-hopping. Compared with other resorts in the area, it's resonably priced. The food was good and we had a lot of variety to chose from.
What makes Discovery Divers special is the quality of service, and the friendly, relaxed-but-not-sloppy atmosphere. One feels to be away from it all, but actually Coron town is only a 10 minute bangka-ride away. The service is very attentive, never obtrusive...perfect. There is no discussion about charging for small items of convenience, so there is no need for the guest to be on his guard. Very relaxing, this.
The whole area, especially Coron Island, is a magical place. We intend to go back soon, in fact, we already booked another stay.

• Liked — The service-mindedness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Tischgrill
London
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We went to Discovery Divers resort in April this year. We didn't really know what to expect and it was great. The resort is 10mn by bancas from coron town. Situated in an other island (far from the karaoke of Coron), the resort is composed by 6 bungalow. They are quite big, really clean and simple. Gunter and Melody will be there to welcome you and to help you if you need anything. They can organise some island hopping, horse riding or you can do like us and go wrecks diving.

Coron is famous for having 12 japonese wrecks from the 2d world war. They are between 10 and 35m, the visibility is quite good, a lot of beautiful fishes. It is really amazing to dive in a wreck, crazy feeling. You need to have at least your PADI open water or any other certificate if you want to go diving.
We were supposed to do only 4 dives but we ended up diving 2 times a days during the 4 days of our stay.

You can have different packages with food, accomodation and dives included (around 75 dollars a day, but the equipment is not included). The food is really good, big breakfast with pancake, fruit, egg, bacon, bread, jam. Lunch on the boat between 2 dives and diner with different soup, fish, meat... everyday.

What is also great is that you can pay through Paypal, like this you don't have to carry some cash and you don't have 7% taken on your credit card.

We recommand this place definitively,

Nathaniel and Claire

• Liked — wreck diving
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Pitiniaou