“Fantastic diving friendly safe dive guides”

Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Coron
kathydeee
“Fantastic diving friendly safe dive guides”
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I loved diving with Discovery! They went out of their way to make sure I had a great time. I was impressed with their guides knowledge and safety awareness. The new resort should be amazing but the older resort is also quite peaceful and a good value for the price. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Great chill-out place. Relaxing and friendly. My friend & I enjoyed every min of our stay there. Both of us did a course with Discovery Divers and we both enjoyed it very much. Wreck diving there is an awesome experience. Highly recommended. It's a place that I'd definitely keep going back!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Discovery Divers is located on it's own island about a 10 minute boat ride from Coron town. The setting is very peaceful and being able to see the stars at night and the glowing plankton is a real privilege. Note that the island is surrounded by mangroves and probably not swimmable.

Gunther and Christina were excellent hosts. Available to greet us and organise our day in the morning and happy to chat with us after dinner. The meals were very good utilizing local ingredients and having a nice home-cooked feel. There is one sitting for dinner which encourages guests to mingle.

The rooms are simple nipa huts and adequate although not suitable for neat freaks. Beds were reasonably comfortable, mosquito nets practical and towels/linen were washed frequently but the rooms are a little dark. Being on an island means that the water and electricity supply is not the best. We did encounter blackouts and the running water did stop. Also note that insects do get into the room although the mosquito net will protect you at night. I suppose this is all part and parcel of living on island time.

The last problem we encountered was mechanical problems with the dive boat meant we missed a day of diving. Also disappointing at the time swimming Lake Cayangan and sitting on Beach 91 made up for this.

Overall I would recommend Discovery Divers as it has a serenity and friendliness that I haven't experienced in many places.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Coron Bay is known for the many Japanese war ships that sank on the same day in 1944 after a US-air raid. These ships are amazing - some were 150+ meters long !! The visibility is quite challenging, though, and the currents are VERY strong. These dives are definitely not for beginners. However, during the low-season (June, July, August), DD are willing to basically do whatever the guests want - one to three dives per day ... including making sure that you don't dive the same wreck (or the same part of the wreck) twice, heading over to Cathedral Cave (which owner Gunther discovered!!) and the amazing Barracuda Lake, where there is brilliant halocline and thermocline (up to +40C).
The resort on Decanituan Island is very relaxed - and the manager Christina will accompany guests in whatever they are looking forward to doing (hanging out, drinking awesome mix-drinks - including the «Apologizer» - ask for it!!, heading for dinner in Coron Town on the mainland, and eating!). Vegetarians will have to endure having meat on their plates, though ... but they do try to accomodate by loading up the vegetables for you. You will also meet the huge python - and if you stay long enough or at the right time of the month, you can watch her catch a chicken!
All in all - VERY cool spot. Much better than anything in Coron Town - you are away from the chickens and noise - and you feel as though you have your own special island resort.
Beware, though - there are many dogs on the island ... and on the grounds ... and even in the lounge areas ... so if you're not a dog person, not a good idea to go here. But I am sure that they would be willing to accomodate travellers!!! :)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Antwerp
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed there almost one week and had a wonderfull time.
Good staff, excellent location just outside the town.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 September 2009

My husband and I ,and 10 of our friends made a return trip to this tropical island. We first travelled there 4 years ago and enjoyed first class diving . One of our party has done lots of wreck diving all over the world including Truk Lagoon and he said this trip and the wrecks was very comparable.
The journey to Discovery Island is a long one but ,so worth it. It's very cathartic to get to a place with no light pollution , no noise pollution , just natural things. Yes there were creatures but it was so natural and we were the visitors not them!!
We made our own entertainment both times , playing old fashioned games like charades . I was lucky to have my birthday whilst there , the staff went to amazing lengths to ensure the party was a huge success. The food is fantastic both on and off the boat.
I love the Philippines

• Stayed April 2009
Rotterdam
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Discovery Divers Coron is a wonderful quiet little place where you can relax and feel at home. The resort consists of six bungalows. This number of bungalows is perfect as it will never be too crowded at the resort. I also really like the fact that everybody has dinner togerther! For me, being on my own, it was a perfect way to meet other people.
The staff is wonderful! They are very hospitable and friendly, always asking me if everything was ok or if I needed anything. The bungalows are a good size and clean. Although there is no hot water, the shower always works and so do the tabs at the sink. I found it wonderful to have my own balcony, where one can sit and relax without being disturbed by other guests.
The food at the resort was good and I found that they kitchen staff had even taken notice of my food allergies! I was amazed, because usually resorts really don't take notice of that.
All in all my stay was wonderful. For those who seek a five star resort with all amenities thinkable, this might not be the place for you. This resort is basic, but has everything you need!!!
Last but not least I would like to contradict the two reviews written before me. I never saw any cockroaches anywhere nor did I see any other nasty insects in my bungalow. Fact is that when you are staying in the tropics you should always be prepared for insects and small lizards. Also the fact that it was said that you are " held hostage" is ridiculous! If you want to go out for dinner instead of having dinner at the resort, the staff will organize a boat which will take you to the mainland and will pick you up when you want. The dogs are cared for in a good manner and the staff handles them with love and care!
I would like to finish with saying again, that I had a wonderful stay and that I will recommend this resort to family and friends!

Suzanne Wegelin