“Unforgettable Coron”
Review of Darayonan Lodge

Darayonan Lodge
Ranked #13 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Coron
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I can recommend Darayonan Lodge. It's in a good location. One of the few places with a pool. Rooms ok. Reasonably priced. Staff were efficient and accommodating. Food is good enough, nothing extraordinary. They provide unlimited coffee, good for non-choosy coffee drinkers. I guess we came at a good time, since we did not experience any power interruption during our whole stay there.

One thing I'd also like to share here, if I may, for the benefit of future Coron travelers, is our experience with local day tour service providers. We did not get a tour package through Darayonan, though. I just did some research before going there, went for a walk around town, and made some inquiries.

We had a very good experience with Nice in Paradise. I highly recommend their service - we were very satisfied with everything - from the size and quality of the pump boat, the friendly and very accommodating boatmen and tour guide, great food choices and serving size (snacks were included), and a professional and personalized service, for a very reasonable price. All worth it! The price depends on the chosen tour. We got the Lusong gunboat-Coral garden tour for Php1000. They really attended to our needs, with Ms Riza personally looking after us. We regret that we only got one tour from them, our 2nd day tour.

For our first day, we tried Corongaleri (I think it's the same tour operator as Calamianes Expeditions). We were disappointed with the service they provided us. Being in business for many years now, this company is relatively well established in Coron, and I thought they were worth a try. Their tour packages were reasonably priced, but the service we got was below par from expected. The boat was relatively small, boatmen not proactive in guiding and leading us to see nice spots, torn and dilapidated life jackets with molds, and the worst part - no life saver or rescue buoy at all for us to hold on to while snorkeling! We were just holding on to the boatman's hand while swimming! Gosh! What a disappointment. The boatman said somebody borrowed/took it from the boat. Isn't it a safety protocol for all boats not to go offshore with no life savers? Based on this experience, I can say that Corongaleri was lax in providing quality service to their customers. I hope somehow, someone from Corongaleri would read this and improve the quality of service they provide.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fluttershy113
chinfernandez, Manager at Darayonan Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear Sir/Maam,

Thank you for your nice review of Darayonan. Your comments about our staff (efficient and accomodating), food (good, nothing extraordinary), and coffee (unlimited, good enough for non choosy coffee drinkers) are all noted. Rest assured we will do our best to come up with more choices in our menu. Re coffee, we use instant coffee for our free coffee service. We are thinking of providing brewed coffee in the future but with a minimal charge.

Again thank you for your comments.

Chin Fernandez

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The environment is good. Some points need to know for the traellers
Good:
1. good location.
2. nice environment.
3. Service is nice.
4. Breafast is to my taste.

Not so good:
1. The room is not so clean as expected, and the room is quite old.
2. Pool is not so clean.
3. We asked the reception to help put our luggages to the hall in the last day, they had promised but actually didn't.
4. Cocks in the obsite of our rooms!!! They provide the morning call on 4:00 a.m. everyday!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe L
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We availed their Accommodation and Tour package.

PROs:
Unlimited coffee and tea from 6AM-10PM.
Accommodating staff and Tour Guide.

CONs:
The water supply stopped in the middle of the day. When the water came back, the color is murky and you need to wait at least 1 hour for it to clear.
There's no drainage in the toilet part of the CR.
No fridge in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We got 2 rooms on the second floor facing the swimming pool 1 for my parents and the other for my friends. Aside from the rosters thats been our alarm clock. It was really quiet and relaxing time for us. Here's my say:

Pros:

Free breakfast + Unlimited coffee
Free wifi but limited only to the lobby or reception area
Courteous staff very helpful and informative
They have an "old" styled rooms (wooden) but it didn't bother me at all because it was clean esp. the bathroom.

Cons:

There's a farm beside the hotel and i think they breed rosters. and the rosters are so loud even at 3am. It was not really a big of a problem for me but my parents are kinda annoyed. funy though.

I'm recommending this to my friends and people visiting Coron. Thumbs up! :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank j3ffry
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This will be the 2nd time I've stayed in this guesthouse. First time (2009), we were housed in deluxe rooms and we were satisfied with the service as well as the rooms. This time, we booked for SUPERIOR ROOMS and got what we paid for.
Pros
- beautiful garden and gazebo
- complimentary breakfast which was good, although choices were limited
- swimming pool
- convenient and good location
- efficient staff: we had to be up early for our calauit safari tour and they were kind enough to prepare our breakfast; fast check in and check out; no problems encountered when we booked our airport transfers w/ them
- free use of spin dryer. they have a strict policy in leaving your wet clothes outside your rooms to dry. we do understand their policy on this, its unpleasant to see clothes hanging outside the rooms. but it was too bothersome to wait until the following morning (office hours) until you can ask one of the chambermaids to dry your clothes. the clothes can start to stink as well. They could have at least provided racks for each room where you can hang your clothes at least for the night.

Cons
- basic room
- hot shower doesn't work well, you either get too hot or too cold, nothing in between
- NOISY IF YOU BOOKED THEIR SUPERIOR ROOMS! The rooms are situated right smack at the entrance, near the main road and we heard everything! From the guests complaining at their front desk to the loud drunk guy across the street. the deluxe rooms are pretty good, its situated at the back, away from all the noise.
- I saw the owner scolding one of her employees in the dining area\

I probably will not go back unless I book for a DELUXE ROOM. but with their rate for a deluxe room, i think you can find better options

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TicketForTwo12
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My 2 friends and I stayed there for an overnight stay. Actually, we're supposed to stay at Sunz En but then again, we decided to stay here instead since they had an available room for the three of us.

Front Desk: They're accommodating but not very.

Room: They booked us in Room no. 12 w/c is good enough for the 3 of us. But my friend says it was too big for us. The room has 1 queen-sized and 2 single beds. WE'RE ONLY 3! They should've at least gave us a room that is CHEAPER and smaller than the one they gave us. My friend thought that they just want more of our money.

Water: Water in the room is also a problem. It's dirty and smells like rust. It's not continuous. When i was bathing, the water in the shower and faucet stopped working. Had to wait for like 15minutes to continue my bath.

Breakfast: OK. Ordered "Corned Beef with Hash". I thought the "Hash" they referring to is like Hashbrown. But to my surprise, it was the potatoes cut in squares mixed in the corned beef. Duh? They should've put Corned Beef w/ Potato or whatever. Haha.

Swimming Pool: I really like staying in hotels, inns, lodges with pool. The pool here is nice.

Overall, the place was good. They really should improve the water service.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank myotherhalf09
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Came to visit Coron with family Feb 2013. After flying from LAX-HKG-MNL and then almost 2 hours to Coron, we take another 30min ride to the center of town where the hotel is. The hotel is very charming, but not quickly equipped to handle a busload of guests upon arrival. The lobby has wifi but not in the rooms. We were escorted to our room past the garden, the breakfast area and bar, the gazebo and the pool. It is beautiful in the day and also with the lights at night. The corner room we got was big, it had 3 beds for my sis and her husband, my niece and I, so it was perfect because we wanted to stay all together. Of course it is not to Marriott standards, but it is pretty good in this remote part of this developing country. The sheets are thin, there's only one pillow and the towel is rationed, but this is not a surprise, The town has rotating power brownouts, so you cannot turn on the aircon at certain times of the day.
Luckily it was Feb so it was not that hot and humid. Although the sign said not to use the pool, we jumped in and enjoyed it. The breakfast choices of corned beef, egg, danggit (salted dry fish) was good in the morning before you go on your tours, and at night there is a variety of choices of great restaurants like Village Lodge or Lolo Nonoy's which are close by, cheap, plentiful and delicious.
The staff is very helpful, friendly and the boys are good looking. There are many tricycles that can take you anywhere, day or night, and Coron is very safe. It is not luxury by Western standards, there is the Two Seasons Resort for that. But that one is isolated, and I'd rather stay in town where you can actually chat with people, see their church and city hall and experience their lives and culture.
Coron is a must! Spectacular snokelling, swimming, fish feeding, seaside picnics, crystal clear lakes, natural hot springs, island hopping. Nature at its best!

Room Tip: Corner room is very quiet!