“the first in , first served policy”

Zuric Pension House
Ranked #24 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Coron
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I was in the Philippines past month and experienced the "first in , first served Policy " of Ralph's pension house in Coron ; I arrived one evening , during Chinese New Year week at around 7 PM ,after a 10 hour exhausting boat trip from El Nido ; due to the extreme booking in the Philippines during that week , I thought I should secure a reservation thru internet ; Ralph had confirmed they had a room available when I needed and I confirmed , agreeing on the rate as well ; when I came that night , the owner explained me that, despite any valid reservation , he did not feel obligated to keep the room for you and was selling it to the first people which would show up before you ; he then sent me to an ugly place he knew , telling me it was similar to his , although it really was not, and the price was also 50% more .
Anyway , story made short , I was there on the strret at 8 PM , looking for a room at the worst period of the year ; I spoke with other turists and learned that my experience was not unique and Mr Ralph used to handle his reservations the way it works best for him....
As there is always a good thing happening with a bad thing , I ended up finding an exquisite room for less money at seadive resort , where i was on the port enjoying the ocean view ; the lounge area on the main floor with free coffee/tea and internet access is also a plus ; In a nutshell : why would you go to Ralph and discuss the availability of a possible room when you can find for less money a way better and welcoming place ....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank isaintoronto

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here for 5 days over Chinese New Year 2013 and it was easily the worst place I have ever been! I was vary disappointed because the other posters seemed positive and the pictures of the hotel looked ok. But what the hotel failed to tell me (and the info is NOT on their website) is that they have added 3 rooms in the GARAGE basement of the hotel. The inside of the rooms looks the same as those in the actual hotel - but the fact is that they are directly next to the National Highway (one of 3 main streets in Coron and busy at all hours). It was extremely noisy the whole night with traffic as well as with all the generators from the hotel & nearby businesses. I can deal with occasional power cut - but I never had hot water even once in 5 days. I would have immediately moved elsewhere but, being Chinese New Year, the whole town was booked out. I had made my reservations months previously and to be pout in this type of room was inexcusable! I pay 800 Pesos a night - double what people were paying for the cheap Sea Dive Resort Rooms. Unless you are PROMISED an upstairs room I would stay clear of this dump.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Rheanne_77
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed in Ralph's Pensionhouse from January 15th to 19th,2013.Here is a summary of the good and bad experiences that I had.To be fair,let me highlight the good points first.

Good points:
1. Staff very accommodating-pensionhouse staff,tour guide,boater
2. Quite generous about the portions of food served
3. Good location,5-minute walk to the pier and other hotels and pensionhouses
4. Rooms and floors are clean,and they provide unlimited coffee and drinking water.

Bad points:
1. Walls of rooms with stains-so if u guys claim that your pensionhouse exudes the ambiance of a hotel and the comfort of a home,I totally disagree coz I stayed there for 5days
2. Clogged toilet,which happened twice.i give credit to the staff though coz she was embarrassed when I brought up the issue.i hope the owner,jun,is aware of this before you guys claim that your business offer comfort. You know how it feels when you are spending holidays with your girlfriend,then this happens...how embarrassing
3. Clogged basin-very embarrassing as well.we cannot even brush our teeth properly...
4. Impatient,rude,impolite owner(jun) with poor communication skills-lacking email etiquette

What were the bad experiences with the owner (jun)?
1. Owner doesn't know how to write professional and polite email letters.before he received my deposit sent to him,he was quite polite and patient.but after they received the initial deposit,he was impatient in answering queries.one instance,was when I was asking if they will be issuing an email receipt of my deposit,he answered by saying-"since inception of our pensionhouse,we never issue receipt.i think this email reply is enough proof of receipt already"-which I think is very rude,arrogant,and impatient reply.
2. Owner doesn't deliver what he promised-two days before arriving coron,he told us that the van driver from Busuanga airport will be carrying a white board bearing my full name.upon arrival,I had to look at each van coz the driver was not carrying any white board.i have to ask him if he was going to the pensionhouse.this Is totally a bad experience for the guest.i even thought that I alighted at the wrong airport.
3. Owner got poor comprehension skills-I told him twice thru email,which he acknowledged,that my girlfriend and I are arriving on the 15th and would like to start our city tour on the 15th.upon arrival at the pensionhouse,the wife of the owner is even arguing with us that we are booked on the 16th,and our itinerary starts on the 16th,not on the 15th.they did not even apologize and this jun never talked to me about it,he just sat in front of his computer,answering email letters from prospect guests.i felt like I was just another customer. because of this,we had to rent one of their rooms for a day,and spend on expensive foods on one day.good thing I got enough pocket money.
4. My girlfriend requested one of the staff that dinner be served at 8pm,because she is still full.right after that,jun intervened and insisted that we eat dinner at 7pm coz his staff is taking off.
5. Owner doesn't make guests feel welcome.he doesn't smile,and he doesn't greet guests,who provide him livelihood.whats worst is he speaks in a stern and high pitch tone,which is provoking and irritating.he appears arrogant,and this observation comes from a person who has been working in the hospitality industry for more than 5years.i am not a hard-to-please- person,I just feel its unfair to receive such rude treatment when you know urself as someone who is patient,polite,and professional when handling guests.
6. There is brownout (lack of electric power) in the town of coron almost everyday. The pensionhouse only turns on their generator at night.consequently,u get no fan,no t.v.,no aircon,no water supply during the day.

I totally don't recommend this pensionhouse to other people.i should have listened to the negative comments before.when you arrive at coron town,there are lots of hotels,inns,lodges,and pensionhouses which are just surrounding Ralph's pensionhouse.be smart,and I want you guys to enjoy your vacation in coron.

4 months from now,I will be going to coron again with my parents and brothers.this time,I will make it sure that I book with other hotel or pensionhouse.

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank GabrielApostol
Reviewed 19 November 2012

During our stay in Ralph's, I promised myself that I would give a fair and positive feedback to this lodge to vindicate recent negative comments. And no, I am not related to them. Our stay there was surprisingly pleasant for travelers who are working on a budget. If you are a foreigner or a local who is used to big and spacious room then this is not the place for you. Ralph's Pension House is very much Filipino style. Not so roomy, not so cramped either. The interiors remind me of our ancestral house in our province and if you like cozy and traditional effect, then I am sure you will also love the place. The quaint and homey ambiance perfectly blends well with the countryside of Coron.

For coffee lovers, there is unlimited instant coffee in the pantry which is very much favorable for me! After our island hopping outdoor activity, we will simply hangout and chat in the smoking area and sip our hot coffee. The owner, Mr. Jun was so hospitable and accommodating. I remember when we arrived at their place. He greeted us with his welcome speech and an explanation on how being in a hostel business relates with marriage. He said so much about it but one thing I will never forget was this: it is an everyday learning process. He said it with so much passion so yeah, I’m kind of touched. Hehe!

Common and receiving areas are well-maintained. Floors are always clean. No marks of dusts, shoe traces and footprints considering the guests that continuously walk in and out of the place. A signboard is available in every room. Hang this in your doorknob outside your room if you need housekeeping. There are common bathrooms as well which are also clean and dry.

Of course if there are positive, there are also downside remarks. One thing I do not like about our room (Bianca’s Room) is that it is not sound proof. Bianca's room is adjacent to the pantry where condiments and utensils like coffee, sugar, creamer, cups and glasses are placed. We can hear the sound of cutleries hitting glasses every time someone’s in there. And one more thing, they need to put window blinds or SUPER thick curtains inside the rooms. They do not turn off the lights outside the common area at night and it is a problem for people like me who can only sleep in total darkness.

Overall, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this for backpackers and budgeted travelers. For delicate, picky travelers or in Filipino term “maselan”, find a place that fits your taste. Though for me this is just PERFECTLY FINE. Just recently, TripAdvisor issued them a Certificate posted in the reception area. That is something I guess. =)

This is not a five-star hotel. This is a PENSION HOUSE. Know the difference. With all my good experiences here in Ralph’s, I can confidently echo what Tito Jun said upon our arrival: “Welcome to Ralph’s Pension House, your Home Away From Home.”

Room Tip: Rooms in rooftop are the best. We occupied a room there for a night before we transferred to the sec...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank craizyl
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My friends and I went here last july. The owner, Kuya jun, was very accomodating, welcoming us with his warm greetings and introducing us to rich history of Coron. All food and itineraries were set to us. Our room was more than big enough for our group and provided us the privacy that we want. It just took time for some of the meals to be served on time, probably because the place was fully booked when we were there but the food were great and overflowing. I will definitely recommend it for a place to stay in Coron.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grace P
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here more than a year ago. It was still number 1 (or 2) and i'm glad to see that the ranking for this place is going down. I feel I was deceived into thinking that this was a good place to stay. It wasn't terrible but it definitely wasnt great either. I cant imagine why anyone would rate this place as a 4 or 5. I guess the reason why people give this place good reviews is because the owner would text the guests and would ask to give them a good review. Well, sorry but I do not think your pension house deserves a good review. The rooms were too small and full of ants. The food wasnt great (although the crab was really fresh). I'm sure there are other accommodations better than this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChaMarco
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed there for 1 night. The rooms did not fit more than a bed. The bathrooms were moldy and in a terrible condition. In the toilet there were traces of the prerenters and the smell made you feel like you were sleeping in a rotten dungeon. And this for a rate of 1000phil pesos. Additional the owner supllied us with wrong information. never again!

• Stayed: July 2012