“Perfect location”

Ranked #23 of 35 Speciality Lodging in Coron
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Zuric Pension House is the perfect starting point to anywhere in Coron. The place is centrally located and near to almost anywhere you want to go to in Coron. The place is clean, room rates affordable, manager and staff are very helpful, cheerful, courteous, friendly and very accommodating.

There was a mess up with the reservation I made through a couple of reservation sites but the manager, Chel, was able to fix the problem right away. The only available room at check in was an A/C room at the third floor, so much to my liking as it is away from the noise of the busy street and the loud band across the street. Though the room was rather small, it was clean, the beddings and towels changed a couple of times during my four-day stay. The staff immediately responded to any request or report of any slight problem about the room. Arranging tours was a zip. The staff even recommended a do-it-yourself tour of Culion instead of booking me an expensive day tour to that island. Although there frequent power outage in Coron, Zuric has it's own generator.

Overall, I would rate this establishment an "A" and would highly recommend to friends and would-be visitors to Coron.

Room Tip: Rooms at the upper floors and at the back are a lot better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mrbebing

Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you want a budget stay in Coron, this is the place. The guesthouse looks like your ordinary house but got extended construction to accomodate more rooms. It does not have a grand entrance, going to the front desk, you have to go up through a steep spiral staircase so it's not handicap friendly, though there are rooms on the ground floor. The common room also houses the front desk which is manned usually by one of the helpers of the owner, the owner though , is frequently present. You'd see family pictures of the owner, plus sofas and lots of throw pillows.. Not so fabulous though. The building housing the Front Desk has about 4 guest rooms, however the flooring is wood, so I'm guessing you'd feel the creaking of the floor everytime someone walks in, if you're staying in one of those rooms. Reason why I refused to stay there since one of these rooms were offered to us.

Room: The room that we stayed in was located in the second floor, but it's like a veranda of some sort. We have our own little garden, just near the Front Desk. Room is small, just enough for a double bed, a tiny TV and a restroom. Room is very simple, anyway you won't be staying there for long. Only to sleep and leave things. It has a small closet. Window in the restroom is weirdly located going to the room, when they could have it going outside. There are no security locks, just the doorknob in itself. Stayed 4 nights but they only changed the sheets on the 3rd night. Amenities like the tissue, soap needs to be requested at the front desk. There are no phones in the room. TV has cable but the reception is poor. Room is airconditioned, however, during the time of our stay, Coron gets brown outs almost everyday. There's a separate switch for the airconditioner so when you arrive, turn on the aircon and it doesn't work, call the Front Desk.. They have a main switch not accessible by the guests.
Electricity went off in the middle of the night on our first night, after about an hour, power was restored and we were waiting for the aircon to turn on, tried turning it on but it won't work. Nobody in the Front Desk even bothered to turn on the main switch so we spent the night without it.

Coffee is free all day. You can actually order breakfast in advance but why bother when there are several restaurants in Coron. Our rate is very cheap at about $45 a day since we were there during the off peak months.

Location: This is the major plus of Ralph's. It's walking distance to Coron Galeri where we had our Island hopping booked, the port, the market, Bistro Coron & several other coffeeshops, restaurants and groceries. Tricycles also pass by all day so transportation is not a problem.

Staff: Don't expect anything. They are nice but don't bother with hospitality. We asked them to keep a package of fresh fish to be kept in their ref, said that they need to ask the owner for permission. I texted the owner and he agreed. However when we were about to go, the package was not properly endorsed and was nearly given to another guest! I saw the owner actually handing it our to some guest and good thing I arrived on time.

It's not the nicest guest house in Coron. The facilities are just ok, if you're used to a higher end accommodation, this is not for you. However, they can probably increase their rating if they improve the service.

Room Tip: Get the room away from the Front Desk Building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Wow how devious a cosy guesthouse and nice looking man can be!
The place looks not that bad when you got in and it gifs a homy feeling but sadly that is fake. I made a reservation in advance and I asked for a confermation one week upon arrival. In the emails we talked about a private room with inside bath and aircon. When i arrived i had to wait for 30 minutes and after that they tried to put me in a room with no aircon and shared bath/toilet on the other side of the guesthouse. For the same price.. They did a double booking.. A double booking can happen but the same rate for a more simple room not.

I told them i didnt accapt that. After a while with a lot of hasselimg and waiting he had a solution, an other guesthouse, everything would be the same, price etc. I just had to wait an hour, again.. The room was fine but when i tried to pay the charged me half more! I went to ralfs but .not his problem he said. He got really agressive at that time, wow was that the same cute man from before. Just stay away i would say..

I see below that this happens more, says enouhg i think.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank post_flo
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The place itself was very comfortable and even though there were constant black outs in Coron, we were lucky to get the Patrick room, which was on the top floor at the farthest part of the balcony (not the dining area) so it our room was nice airy.

Jun, the owner was very accommodating and he is the best host ever. The staff, who were just two girls, were kinda spaced out, I dont know if they were just new, but Jun made sure we were as comfortable as possible and apologized for his staff (the two girsl were really slow --just asking them to boil water would take forever and they all seemed frazzled by the things that needed to be done)

Breakfast was yummy!

There is no hot water for showering but you can ask to have hot water boiled in a pot and brought to your room. Free use of the kitchen and free coffee. Very homey feel --will definitely stay here again.

To read more about my trip to coron visit http://jocylfroot.blogspot.com/2013/03/coron-2013.html

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jocylfroot
Reviewed 18 March 2013

When we arrived at Ralph's Pension house we were told that they were "fully booked" for these dates, we attempted to explain that the owner had confirmed our booking, after we showed her his confirmation she said that they could give us the room he described for 1300 php per night but for 2 nights only and that we would have to check out after 2 nights. I asked to speak to the owner, she whispered that he was hiding and did not want to talk to us. After my repeated requests to speak to the owner she left and returned and said we could have another room in the front in garage area next to the road for 1000 php per night, which I went ahead and paid 4300 php (4000 for 4 nights and 300 for van to airport on Saturday) when we got into the room (no hot water) awhile later she returned with 1300php and said we couldn't stay but 3 nights I said this was unacceptable and went upstairs and returned the 1300 php. at 10:30pm the noise in the room was so bad that it was impossible to sleep and i went upstairs to complain and said to the owner I would take the room the girl showed us first, the girl told us this room had hot and cold water. in the morning I went to shave and shower and there wasn't hot water and complained again, the owner Jun Gutierrez said the girl never said that but she came forward and said she did. We end up staying 1 night at Ralph's Pension House paying 1300 for a room with no hot and cold water and spent the last 3 days of our 4 day vacation going from hotel to hotel... The owner got an attitude problem man and the Ralph's Pension house picture in the website looks nice but in real its not...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank George O
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I was in the Philippines past month and experienced the "first in , first served Policy " of Ralph's pension house in Coron ; I arrived one evening , during Chinese New Year week at around 7 PM ,after a 10 hour exhausting boat trip from El Nido ; due to the extreme booking in the Philippines during that week , I thought I should secure a reservation thru internet ; Ralph had confirmed they had a room available when I needed and I confirmed , agreeing on the rate as well ; when I came that night , the owner explained me that, despite any valid reservation , he did not feel obligated to keep the room for you and was selling it to the first people which would show up before you ; he then sent me to an ugly place he knew , telling me it was similar to his , although it really was not, and the price was also 50% more .
Anyway , story made short , I was there on the strret at 8 PM , looking for a room at the worst period of the year ; I spoke with other turists and learned that my experience was not unique and Mr Ralph used to handle his reservations the way it works best for him....
As there is always a good thing happening with a bad thing , I ended up finding an exquisite room for less money at seadive resort , where i was on the port enjoying the ocean view ; the lounge area on the main floor with free coffee/tea and internet access is also a plus ; In a nutshell : why would you go to Ralph and discuss the availability of a possible room when you can find for less money a way better and welcoming place ....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank isaintoronto
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here for 5 days over Chinese New Year 2013 and it was easily the worst place I have ever been! I was vary disappointed because the other posters seemed positive and the pictures of the hotel looked ok. But what the hotel failed to tell me (and the info is NOT on their website) is that they have added 3 rooms in the GARAGE basement of the hotel. The inside of the rooms looks the same as those in the actual hotel - but the fact is that they are directly next to the National Highway (one of 3 main streets in Coron and busy at all hours). It was extremely noisy the whole night with traffic as well as with all the generators from the hotel & nearby businesses. I can deal with occasional power cut - but I never had hot water even once in 5 days. I would have immediately moved elsewhere but, being Chinese New Year, the whole town was booked out. I had made my reservations months previously and to be pout in this type of room was inexcusable! I pay 800 Pesos a night - double what people were paying for the cheap Sea Dive Resort Rooms. Unless you are PROMISED an upstairs room I would stay clear of this dump.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo