We started our honeymoon from Puerto Princesa, so needless to say there would be a comparison between the former and Coron. Both towns are in Palawan, and both are noted for their beauty and tourism. Puerto Princesa, as many have described, is incomparable to Coron's natural beauty. And true to this, that was what we found. Coron's hot springs, Mt. Tapyas, endless lagoons and fresh food, etc.
However, when it comes to tourism readyness (if ever there is no such term, please allow me to use it in this review), Coron needs to learn a lot from its sister (Puerto Princesa). Before proceeding to Coron, I have carefully compared my options using the feedback found in trip advisor. So I thought that I was ready to conquer Coron as I shoved those inns with at least 3 terrible remarks.
Upon our arrival to Coron eco lodge, we were greeted by the trip advisor icon placed on top of the receptionists' desk. And again, I thought, "hey, Php 1.8k++ per night isn't so bad at all". For a leisure tourist, with so many extra money to spare, this deal is not so bad. But for a budget conscious traveler who expects quality service in return, that amount (which is almost equivalent to $45) must really be equated with good service.
It would be unfair to say that this place is bad. So I'll first make a list of what's good:
1. True to the fine print
3. Air condition is provided (in a humid country, this counts)
And the not-so-good part:
1. Breakfast (once, we were offered congee, really. For someone who knows the capital for making congee, well you know that this could be a rip off. Also, the congee tasted as if it was meant for recuperating patients).
2. Water (2nd floor occupants must be prepared for the flow of water coming out of their toilet faucets and shower heads)
3. Most of the little food items or condiments that we asked for breakfast are either unavailable or not for free (i.e.chocolate drink, ketchup, hot sauce).
4. It was weird not to have any tour guides on our first day of tour (city tour). Our tours were sorted out by this hotel as well.
5. The worst thing was our last day of stay at Coron eco lodge. The front desk asked us to leave 2 hours before our check-out time so that we could be on time for the van that would transfer us to the airport. It turned out that the van already was packed with tourists from the other hotels. To save money, they asked us to join this group. The issue lies not in the space at the van, but the amount of time it took us to wait for our plane (we waited for 4 hours). All done just to ensure their convenience.
Hence, for this trip alone: if not for the natural beauty of Coron, I might not have ended as a happy wanderer. :p
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Coron Ecolodge! This modestly designed boutique hotel located along the quiet street of Calle Real is a welcome surprise for many of its guests. From its creamy interiors, wooden accents, a glass panelled lobby that allows the natural light to bask the interiors in a golden glow, down to the colourful wooden accents of the trademark geckos and stingrays crafted by local artisans …everything about Coron Ecolodge speaks of an attention to detail that takes their guests’ comfort and needs in mind. Everything you need in town from the local municipality, banks, laundry, bakery, a handicraft store and even a small parlor and spa, are just a short walk away.Each of only 21 simple but well-designed 15 square meter air-conditioned rooms has 2 standard double beds, wooden clothes cabinet, Cable TV, private bath with hot and cold shower and 2 towels which are replenished daily upon guests’ request. A generator and deep well is on hand to serve as back-up 24-7. The Calle Real Bistro provides Wi-Fi free of charge and unlimited coffee to its guests.But perhaps what makes Coron Ecolodge stand out more than anything else is the exemplary customer service. From arrival to departure, our staff eagerly and sincerely extends assistance to the guests for a myriad number of requests-from tour coordination, bookings and inquiries, planning for a special occasion (even a marriage proposal), advise on where to go or where to eat, care when you’re feeling under the weather, getting your clothes to a laundry shop, even purchasing the requisite pasalubong of lamayo for which Palawan is known for, nothing is too small to help guests with. And they do it all with a smile! Because at Coron Ecolodge…it truly is a pleasure to be of service.No wonder Trip Advisor ranks Coron Ecolodge best value-for-money hotel in town. Just 2 years old, Coron Ecolodge has proven to be a popular draw for budget yet value-conscious and savvy travelers. And the good news is, its sister establishment, Casa is opening very soon to meet the demand for quality rooms and service at an affordable price. Come to Coron Ecolodge. And experience what it’s like to be truly made welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Ctrip TA and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Coron Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coron Ecolodge Philippines - Palawan Island