“A hidden jewel in Coron”

Sophia's Garden Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Manila, Philippines
“A hidden jewel in Coron”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My wife and I learned about Sophia's Garden from a leaflet we picked up at the airport. Initially, we intended to stay in Sunz en Coron but upon getting there, we found out that the water pump was being repaired and they can't give us a definite answer as to how long there won't be any water. I was quite disappointed because the guy who checked us in didn't even bother to inform us and we had to find out ourselves. Anyhow, we ended up in Coron Village Lodge which was quite nice for its low price. It's a backpacker's type of lodge with decent rooms and a very basic bathroom. At around $35/night, we couldn't complain, but we weren't quite happy either. Luckily, my wife remembered the fliers she got from the airport in Busuanga. She started calling and for some reason, I guess the person who answered Sophia's Garden's phone caught her fancy. We arranged to see the hotel, took a tricycle, and from the minute we walked into the gate, we already knew that it's the place we wanted to spend the rest of our 5 night-stay in. We immediately gathered our things and moved to Sophia's Garden Resort! The room is clean and tastefully appointed, the bathroom was clean and had hot shower. At the time of our stay, there were only eight rooms but we were told that there's a planned expansion at the back of the resort where they'll have ocean view rooms. My only beef is that you can hear the staff's conversation from the bathroom. They seem to do laundry or something behind the bathroom. However, the noise doesn't reach the bedroom area. All in all, the room provided a great respite from the day's tiring activities (snorkelling, climbing Mt. Tapyas, etc). The staff are very courteous and accommodating. Food was not bad either and priced quite right. On our last night, my wife and I requested to have dinner by the poolside gazebo and they obliged. I didn't notice if the price of the food was any different from the ones we took in their restaurant (if there are added charges for the extra service) but I couldn't care less and left them a nice tip too! The total ambience is relaxing. You'll find garden chairs and tables in all the right places (my favorite was the one under the bamboo tree!) where you can have a quiet drink or revel in the cool breeze while uploading your pictures via the "poolside wifi". They ask you your order for breakfast the night before (they even ask you how you want your egg done! Talk about pro-active!) and these little "extras" add more value to the very reasonable price of an overnight stay (we spent three wonderful nights here!). For an eight month old resort, these guys definitely know what they're doing. I have recommended Sophia's Garden Resort to all my friends and relatives and we are definitely staying there on our next Coron adventure!

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are farthest from the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank emanix

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I chose Sophia's Garden Resort on the basis of reviews I'd read on TripAdvisor. I contacted the resort directly and was required to pay the full cost of our stay 15 days before our arrival. Some matters took a bit of back and forth to sort out (like airport transfers), but all my messages were responded to promptly.

The resort is about 30 minutes away from the airport and is a five-minute tricycle ride away from town. The sporty types can also make the trek from town to the resort and probably make it in 20 minutes (warning: you'll have to walk uphill). Tricycle rides to town cost between PhP15 to 25 per person and if a tricycle was not available, you could get a ride on the resort's van and pay PhP 25 per person.

Our room was of moderate size, tastefully furnished and clean. A hot shower is possible, but you'll have to wait a few minutes for the water to warm up. Although our room was adjacent to another room and very close to the restaurant, noise was never a problem. There were a few power outages, but these tended to be brief.

The resort has no beachfront but instead has a pool and jacuzzi. There is a gazebo and some relaxation areas around the garden which was beautifully lit up at night. The resort was a welcome respite to our busy days of snorkeling.

The restaurant serves a combination of international and Filipino dishes. In addition to what is on the menu, requests for special meals can also be accommodated. Breakfast is a la carte and is ordered the evening before.

The main advantage of the resort is its size. There are fewer than 20 rooms, so the service is rather personalized. We had a few issues (e.g., a leak in the bathroom), but all of these were quickly addressed by the friendly and courteous staff. My only complaint is that they charged me for a tour I'd booked and told me, upon my arrival, that we could not take that tour as there were not enough people who signed up for it. I would have appreciated if they had given me such a caveat before taking my money, which they used to offset the meals we'd taken at the resort.

Given that this resort only started operating in September of last year, I think they're doing quite well and will get better with time. If you're willing to spend a little extra to stay in a quiet corner of Coron, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Talampakan
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, very nice garden, room was clean and very well decorated, the employees have a very nice attitude. There were some little things that still have to be improved though:
1. There is not real hot water in the shower, just a bit warm.
2. There seems to be a laundry behind the room and you could hear the sound of a machine and employees' conversations. These could be heard from the room's bathroom.
3. I ordered orange juice for breakfast and got flavored water instead of real orange juice.
These are minor things that can be easy fixed and the personnel are very open to suggestions. I recommend this place if you want to relax and have a quiet vacation since it is located 10 minutes away from down town noise.

1 Thank Gabirodri
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Sophia's Garden Resort had great service and the staff was very friendly, helpful and polite. The food was amazing and had a variety of choices. The overall ambiance was impeccable and very relaxing. It was like being in a fairy tale. If you are planning to visit Coron, you should book your stay at Sophia's Garden Resort, for sure! The price is right, too!

9 Thank TanfamUSA
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Sophia's garden is new, clean, and felt like home with beautiful garden. We had beyond awesome stay. The staff are genuinely nice, wonderful, helpful, courteous and go above and beyond expectations. I highly recommend staying in this hotel. It is located 5-8 mins away from the town, and we like it. They have limited number of rooms, so book early. It's worth the trip even if only to enjoy their garden. I wish them continued success. When we come back to Coron, this is where we will stay again. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you, Sophia's garden!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Chamonix8
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Sophia's was close to perfect. So much so it compelled me to put my first review together. Not only are the grounds immaculate and a beautiful paradise of tropical serenity, buyt the staff are what make Sophia's so good.

Oliver and his team are the perfect balance of attentiveness without being overbearing. Nothing is impossible for them. We got many lifts in to town or they organised Tuk Tuk's each day. They even went to the market for us and cooked up a special BBQ b the pool of fresh local Philippino dishes.

The rooms are great although you'll want to spend most of your time outside. There's even an old pier behind the garden to watch the most amazing sunsets each night.

Best place of our 4 month world trip so far. And that ain't an easy feat. Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JimbobDugger
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Nice peaceful garden, friendly staff, clean rooms away from the chaotic town centre but still has some issues you would not expect when paying $100 a night- issues with hot water, inconsistent wifi.
Overall positive experience for those wanting a relaxing stay in coron

2 Thank Mikeey23