“Nice, Quiet & Cool Place to Stay in Coron”

Sophia's Garden Resort
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Me and my wife together with our Biz Partners stayed here for 3 nights last Sep 2 ~ 5, 2013
Good thing about the hotel / resort that it is located just beside the Coron town proper, thus there is serenity in the area but still the accessibility to the wharf and town proper is just a stone throw away.

Hotel rooms were very clean and what caught my attention was the appealing smell. The room are quite spacious enough. Hotel staffs are very friendly and accommodating. Restaurant offers sumptuous breakfast and we even tried to have our 2nd day dinner at the Sophia's Resto and food was great.

Only bad thing is the free wifi is quite very slow and mobile phone signals are often not that good for both globe and smart / sun. Other than these items, there is nothing to worry about Sophia's.

We really enjoyed the jacuzzi and pool, as well as the well-trimmed gardens, I even visited their soon to be wharf and future hotel expansion at the backside of the current hotel which is a seafront.

To Sophia's, Thank you for accommodating us and arranging our Coron tours as well. More Power!

Room Tip: All 8 rooms are quite same! :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank bluecloudsrealty

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in this resort from Sept 3-6. We chose to stay here because of the good reviews that we read.

The Good
• Their facilities are new and well maintained.
• The cleanliness of the resort is very remarkable. The garden and swimming pools are well maintained. The room, including the bath, smells and looks clean.
• ALL their staff was very friendly and accommodating. I’ve been to several hotels and resorts here and abroad, I think this is the resort that provided me the most stellar experience for their service.
• Food and drinks are reasonably priced. It’s not cheap; but it’s worth it. They take special meal request if you want something that is not in their menu. They even asked us if we wanted to dine either in the garden or pool side gazebos at no extra cost.
• Pre-arrival inquiries and requests were responded to promptly. I even received a confirmation text from the resort regarding my transfer arrangement request 10 minutes after I made my booking online at 5am.
• My wife and I enjoyed drinking cocktails and having dinner by the pool after a tiring Coron day tour.
• The place is not crowded given that it only has 8 rooms. It has aircon and cable TV.

The Bad
• They provide free WIFI; however, it was extremely slow.
• Aside from the slow internet connection, there’s nothing else that I can say that I didn’t like about the resort.

Travel Tip
• To save money, book your Coron day tour / island hopping with tour operator - Nice in Paradise. From the hotel, you can either hire and tricycle or the in-house resort van to bring you to their office. Their tour guides are very friendly and they even swims with you. You just have to hold to their floats and they will pull you around in the lake while other tour guides stay in the boats.

I was a bit doubtful when I see in TripAdvisor that this resort is only receiving a score of 4 and 5. I totally agree with one of the reviewer that stated that he will give Sophia a score of 6 if he can.

This resort is highly recommended when visiting Coron!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Gilbert B
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is a beautiful resort. Quiet, safe, extremely well maintained, but what makes this place really stand out is the quality of the staff. The staff went beyond all expectations to ensure our stay was an enjoyable one. Thank you all.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Luke and Othell... W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

After boracay, I just decided to go coron and decided to book this resort. First when me and my friend arrived busuanga airport, it just like arrived at Jurassic park, you will worried that the dinosaur will suddenly run out from forest. But when we arrived resort, it feel HOME, the friendly staff, quiet and clean environment, let us feel relax and peaceful. Wonderful resort!

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank Fish L
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after La Natura Resort. Wow, this is a different league. The price on booking was cheaper than on their own website and it was hard to find a room on the days we were going to be in Coron. So book in advance, because the 5 days we stayed in the island it was always full.
FYI, We travel with a 8 year girl and a 11 month baby and we stayed in middle-upper class hotels normally.

As soon you enter the garden of the hotel, you will feel and notice the difference between this place and the rest of the island. The garden is beautiful and always taking care of it.
Nice pool with jacuzzi and also some kind of pool water games.
You are normally alone on the garden or in the pool, because most of the clients arrive late, leaves early or stays the whole day outside on island hopping. So, most of the day quiet.
Service: from the first minute, you can enjoy the amazing service they have at the hotel. If possible, I will rate them with a 6. The manager does a great job.
Rooms: they are not very big but they are nicely decorated. Digital Cable, tv and 5 channels to enjoy most of the time movies. Air conditioning working and without any noise. Free complimentary water every day (as well on every lunch). Nice sheets and 2 pillows per bed. We also had an amazing crib.
Great shower with water pressure and unlimited hot water. Nice shower to relax. Complimentary shampoo, soap, etc. Quite complete.
Internet normally get into the rooms if you have a laptop, cellphone sometimes. Internet speed good first day, then something happened and it was a slow or not connecting for some reason (but they let us use the reception computer to check confirmations from the next hotels.
Restaurant : everything good and always happy to attend you or make any special dish. Prices fair for a place like this, around 200-300php.

The hotel is one of the best experiences around north palawan, without spending more than 200 USD. This place is more like a That Hotel than the typical filipino.

For sure will repeat if around.

• Stayed: August 2013
17  Thank Smallfishbigworld
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family and I had one of the most exquisite and wonderful three-day and two-night accommodation at Sophia’s Garden Resort in Coron, Palawan. It has this traditionally inspired architecture built in native Ipil Ipil wood and windows of capiz shells. The ambiance is very exotic-looking in the native Filipino style all the way around.

The staff treated us like VIPs the whole time. They were very friendly and accommodating. I couldn’t forget the special treatments rendered to us by their staff, Oliver, who was very prompt and informative about the history of the place and the fun places we were about to visit--take note, the resort is just few minutes from the town proper and the dockside. We were able to see the beautiful mountains and hillsides of Coron from the boat that took us around sailing and snorkeling, while sightseeing the coral reefs as well. Swimming and snorkeling are the most fun things to do in Coron which came as a package deal with the stay. The food was also excellent served on board the elegant dining room of Sophia’s Garden Resort serving us breakfast, lunch and dinner; and out at the seaside by the boat.

Our accommodation at Sophia’s Garden Resort definitely made our stay in Coron, Palawan, an unforgettable adventure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Butchie S
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 days. Wonderful place, awesome people. We enjoyed the place so much. People are so friendly and warm. "masarap balik-balikan". :) They treating us like VIP's and gave our demand without any hesitation. Nice view, wonderful environment, quiet place, clean pool, nice food and etc. everything is good about the place, you couldnt ask for more once you get there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business