“Highly recommended but food has to be refined.”

Coron Westown Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Coron
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were booked 9mos ago to Busuanga Island Paradise but due to damages left by Yolanda typhoon, Agoda advised us that BIP is currently incapable of receiving guests and had to be transferred to Coron Westown. This hotel did not disappoint. We had a lovely stay at their handsome, clean, well-lit, elegant room. The entire establishment was impressive and tasteful and I find their swimming pools really inviting. Staff were polite and very accommodating and management was generous enough in affirming our few requests.

I just had some reservations about the food. The prices are reasonable yet the taste and quality seems compromised. To be specific, I just think it's weird to find bell pepper and ginger in my Sinigang and hope it was more "maasim". We ordered this as our lunch in our first day after a long travel and it could've been heavenly comforting if it were more maasim. For dinner, I had Salt n Pepper Pork but the salty part was so prominent I was able to consume 4 glasses of water to wash it down. Then we also had Vegetarian Pizza in our second night and we think that potato strips and carrots don't go well as one of the toppings. Stick with the basics - tomato sauce topped with fresh tomatoes, onions, black olives and green bell pepper then nothing can go wrong with generous helpings of mozzarella cheese.

Lastly, breakfast buffet should also go with some vegetable and non-fried white meat options. My partner is not really a vegan but due to medical condition, it is best for him to avoid red meat and oily/fatty food. Since there is not much of an option for him, all he could savor was the ultra plain omelet and that was a marginalized meal for a buffet set-up. On our last day though, we ordered Chopseuy and Pinakbet for our lunch and got surprised how pleasant these two were. Also, we enjoyed some of their options like grilled chicken sandwich, shrimp pasta and strawberry shake.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ryanghostling

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Our group stayed here in 4 rooms for 3 nights in Feb 2014. The resort is clean, new, with nice furnishings, large pools, and beautiful views. The resort is well maintained with attentive staff. You can get to downtown via tricycle w/ 5-10 min ride. The resort has a restaurant and bar. The food is good, especially breakfast, pizzas, and pastas.

There is wifi in the lobby but the signal is poor. You can buy wifi at the restaurant for a cheap price of 100 pesos for 12 hours and it will give you better internet connection.

We had the hotel arrange our 3 day tours with a local company. Make sure you ask the front desk what to expect in each day of tour because it was not provided to us. The first day we didn't know that there was a hike involved & swimming in a hot springs, otherwise we would have been prepared to bring shoes & change of clothes. The snorkeling in different islands were outstanding & unforgettable.

The resort is not near the beach. However being near a beach is not necessary since you do a lot of swimming in the tours. The hotel is 20 min away from the airport. There is a hotel shuttle and they are attentive.

Overall, I give this hotel 4 1/2 stars and would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank deegigolo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel is new, clean, and impressive looking. The landscaping was bit tacky though and poorly done. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. All appliances, sockets, and lights were in working condition. They had 3 well maintained swimming pools.

There is free wifi only in the lobby and part of the coffee shop. If you want wifi in your room you have to buy it for PHP 100 for 12 hours. There is no Smart signal where the hotel is located so bring a Globe phone if you need to be accessible.

The food though is so uninspired. I ordered a burger when I arrived, it took too long to prepare and was served cold. The servers were gracious and polite but not trained well. They were also unfamiliar with the menu items and had to go back to the kitchen several times when I asked about certain dishes. The breakfast buffet was one of the worst I have encountered. The coffee served with the buffet was so watery I thought it was tea! They even served canned tuna on our last day there. For PHP 250 per head, this is a rip off.

The tricycles, which is the major mode of transportation in Coron charges PHP 50.00 per head if you are billeted at Westown. Normally, it should only be PHP 15.00. Why the hotel management encourages this (they have the rates posted on the front desk) is beyond me.

If the food and beverage management improves, this would be a good hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Urduja1121
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were due to leave Coron on the morning before the typhoon but unfortunately, our flight was cancelled but thankfully, we found the Westown Resort to bunker down in. As we checked in we made sure they had plenty of supplies as we knew we may be there for a while...

We were impressed with our rooms and we got a great rate despite the pending storm - in the evening we sat in the lovely bar by the pool until things turned a little more serious! As we evacuated the bar and made our way up to restaurant we soon realised the severity of the situation as the windows started to implode!

The staff were absolutely amazing at this point and made sure we were safely evacuated to our rooms. Throughout the first half of the storm the staff were regularly patrolling the hotel making sure everyone (as well as the building) were safe. During the eye of the storm, again they were on hand making sure all was ok…

As the storm turned, it got a little more serious as the wind was stronger and causing a lot of damage to the roof (we were on the top floor). Within no time the staff were there again to evacuate us (and our bags) to the basement.

In the basement the staff were all on hand reassuring us and handing out water and still checking the building to make sure all guests were safe. Once the worst of the storm was over, immediately the staff checked us into a different room on the ground floor facing the pool. The room was lovely and we managed to get a few hours sleep.

Come the morning I was amazed to see the staff still awake and hard at it and despite the huge amount of damage to the hotel, they managed to serve breakfast in the lobby area at 6.30am!!! It was incredible to see the commitment to their guests and given that the hotel had only been open 6 months, I was amazed to see how everybody pulled together and worked hard to ensure the safety of their guests and genuinely cared about our wellbeing.

In the morning the guests repaid their hosts commitment by helping to clear the hotel of debris and it was a testament to the fact that they cared so much for their guests during the typhoon that we wanted to repair the favor.

Over the coming 4 days of being stuck in Coron, our hosts were amazing and I despite a complete lack of sleep for who knows how many days straight, the management and their staff catered to our every whim and helped in getting us out of Coron and back to Manila.

It's taken a while to write this review but really wanted to say a big thank you to our hosts! I would recommend staying at the Coron Westown and regardless of the storm, its the nicest and newest hotel in Coron and I for one, will be back and would happily stay at the Westown again!

Room Tip: Ground floor poolside would be the best rooms - note that the fitness centre looked good when we che...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GinHK
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Coron Westow is a new resort located nearby Coron town in Palawan. Regarding pool and overall amenities, it's the best hotel in the area. Rooms are big but furniture simple, bathroom is perfect with space. Choose rooms facing pools for good view of the Coron bay and dry clothes on balcony (garden view rooms are dark and smelly).
Restaurant food is correct but buffet breakfast is limited for Europeans. Actually seems that this hotel focuses on North East Asian customers so food type come along. But still, it's correct.
To reach Coron town you need tricycle (15 minutes) which is not a problem, because they will call one for you.

About concern regarding Typhoon, Busuanga was hit but business runs as normal, you can notice impact of typhoon on the road from airport (lots of trees down). Airport terminal runs normally too.

Room Tip: Prefer room facing pool for good view and dry clothes.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank daaming
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great hotel, fits in nicely on this beautiful island. The staff's customer service is a 10 out of 10. They are always there to help and they are quick and responsive. Clean rooms, great pool, great bar and awesome food and drinks. Only complaint is to lower the beer price. If you want to eat and drink at lower prices go to Chicken Alley which is right next to the hotel.

I'll be back!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I arrived after 4N5D on a boat expedition so was looking forward to hot showers and proper facilities. However upon arrival around 8pm I was told my room was given away as they were overbooked and I had not shown up by 6pm which according to their booking policy is equivalent to a no show! I never hard of such nonsense! I checked my confirmation with Booking.com and no where did I find this ridiculous notice. After much discussion they agreed to refund that night's hotel cost but they had no room for me. Thankfully I had met some people on my trip who were kind enough to let me bunk in their room for the night. Westown did offer to pay for a room at another hotel but I didn't want to be moved. In fact the next day I heard them give a similar speech about being overbooked to another group of people who were not happy to be moved to another hotel.

The hotel facilities at this resort were actually reasonably ok but the staff were very young. The rooms were big and spacious and the AC worked well. We didn't have any electricity problems like the other hotels around town. Their biggest selling point were the swimming pools. Since the island doesn't have any beaches having a pool is a real commodity. The loungers were modern and comfortable. They even had a small spa where we had a late massage before bed.

If you were planning on staying here, best to do come during non peak season or there's a chance you'll be shipped off to another hotel!

Room Tip: My friends and I both paid for deluxe but they got pool view but I got wall view.....?! Ask for pool...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends