“Great 10 Day's Dive Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dive Cal

Dive Cal
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great 10 Day's Dive Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Cheapest diving in Coron.
The resident DM, Ron Edmonds is a top guy who guided our small group around all of the wrecks with the expertise and knowledge of a pro.
Went on the Apo Reef safari also(4D/3N), and this was also a great trip.
The food was amazing and plentiful and always waiting for us at the end of each dive.
Highly recommend Divecal to anyone.

Visited May 2013
Trevor S, Owner at Dive Cal, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Thanks for your review, I passed your comments on the the staff concerned. They all said oit was a pleasure to dive with you!
Trevor

United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“had a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

my husband and i signed for wreck diving and found out about divecal through their website. in coron we were met divecal's german divemaster/instructor arnom. was able to say a few german words with him : ). he is a real experienced diver: he went around the world diving, treasure hunting, salvaging..making more than 7,000 dives and still counting. my husband is a certified diver and it was just my second "discovery or fun" dive. arnom suggested to go to the lusong wreck because it is not that deep so i can join my husband and there is big diversity in corals and fish there. so off we went to lusong. arnom is a very good teacher and very clear in his instructions and gave us a lot of tips. it was my first time to wear a wetsuit and found it uncomfortable and the gear so heavy but he said everything will be fine once i get in the water. he assisted me every step of the way which resulted in a very exhilirating experience. our first dive lasted 41 minutes at 25 feet and i enjoyed it so much we dived again. we went around the wreck several times and other areas to see more corals and fish. i wanted to touch everything but he told me to be careful and when i got the urge to touch something, he puts my hand away because it is not safe. but once a coral is ok to touch, he showed me. our second dive was 54 minutes at 25 feet. i think at some point he let go of me so i can move on my own. after the dive, arnom highly recommend that i get certified because im a natural (ahem). since my husband was also following us, i never felt scared and it was like floating in (underwater) heaven amidst God's beautiful creations. I highly recommend lusong wreck dive and divecal. you will get much more than you paid for.

Visited May 2013
Manila, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent Diving, excellent guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Dive Cal is one of only two dive centres in Coron that have any evidence of professionalism. The other was Rock Steady who I also had the opportunity to dive with.
The outfit is small but highly recommended. Just quite simply, fantastic.
We were very lucky to be able to go on an APO REEF trip with Dive Cal. What an amazing experience. This is not a luxury vessel, this is a Pinoy boat with character and adventure.
The dive guide, RONALDO, was bonkers and brilliant. Very enthusiastic and very knowledgeable.
The diving was first class, the food was first class. The only slight complaint was that they ran out of BEER! However, I don't think anyone could have expected nor appreciated the volume of beer that was drunk - Deco Juice!
Can't wait to go again with Dive Cal!
If you can't get to go all the way to Apo Reef then RONALDO also dive guides the wrecks of Coron. The man is a must for all divers, experienced or newbies this man will have you in fits of laughter and makes you feel totally at ease, above and below the water.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank BillieBlack
Trevor S, Owner at Dive Cal, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Hi! Ronaldo still with us and currently working out what new kit we need to buy in preparation for the new season. He and the other staff say 'Hi!' and thanks.
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Better options in Coron”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

The dives were great but the equipment and the divemaster were not. They took groups of upto 7 divers with one divemaster through wreck dives which is not safe. Especially when this divemaster did not look back once to check on the divers. This caused a lot of us to get lost among the wrecks and figure our own way out and finish the dive. Which wouldnt be a problem but they dont give you a computer, compass, or even a depth gauge. When a problem did arise, the divemaster sent another fun diver to 'help', then took off leaving us stranded again. We went through a few regulators that were leaking as well. Its cheap, but there are better dive operations in Coron. Ive been diving for 15 years and this is the worst operation ive come across where safety is concerned.

2 Thank travelkru
Mike H, Owner at Dive Cal, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
I looke dinto this very carefully. Guide: The other booked guide reported sick and it was not possible to find another. We normally have a gudeline of max 4 per guide. This also depends on the group make-up. If we had 2 DMs diving and 2 OWs we would try to put up two guides.
Regulators. All our regulators are under a year old. To make sure that this was not more than an isolated problem I had ALL our regulatirs serviced by an expert. According to my report 2 developed problems which is 2 to many.
Cologne, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“awesome trip! nice (new) guide! unforgettable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

we have been a group of 4 guests and one diveguide. the boat was operated by captain, compressor man, engine man, chef and maybe I forgot someone :) basicly there have been more stuff than guests. all of us felt well served.

view at apo reef is about 40m+. every dive was accompanied by turtles, reef sharks and many fish schools. we did 11 dives in total within 3 days - no night dive. they were also taking in account that we already booked booked flights back home so they organized the dives perfectly!

it was a lot of food, rather too much :) our dive guide was Ronaldo - a very nice guy. he was always taking care of us and we felt very safe.

The Ship: It is a very basic ship. There are simple wooden bunk beds. marine vessel toilets and no showers. they provide fresh water bucket showers after the last dive - thats okay for the 3 days.

we were also allowed to stay one more night on board for free to wait for the flight the next day. that evening we have been out with the entire crew in bars and the one and only nightclub of coron.

to summarise: ship is basic - diving is awesome - crew is helpful, firendly and nice - divemaster is well experienced and able to guide you safe - price is reasonable.

I would ever do it again! Thank you guys!

Visited November 2012