“Great food, clean kitchen, friendly staff.”

Winnie's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 69 Restaurants in Coron
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
DRGNBURN
“Great food, clean kitchen, friendly staff.”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We found this place via Tripadvisor. Was a bit difficult to find as I couldn't find it on the map. Asked around and only a few locals seems to even know it existed. But it's near the Fire station, kitty corner. Once inside we noticed it was very clean and simply but nicely decorated. The food seems to be a mix between local Filipino and Thai. The menu had lots of options and we had a hard time deciding on what to order. We finally ended up going with Red Curry Chicken with a side of rice, Thai Kangkong (something like stir fried spinach in sauce), Tom Yam Kung and Crab Curry with a side of fried rice. The waitress started by bring us a small dish of garlic salted peanuts as a little starter to munch on and drinks arrived promptly. There was only one other table in there when we ordered that was already eating by the time we sat down. Food took a few minutes, but when it arrived you could tell everything was made to order and didn't come out of a pot that had been cooked at the beginning of the day and had sitting around getting old. The "Tom Yam" wasn't quite as good as the Tom Yum in Thailand, but pretty decent. Shrimp came whole with heads on, not quite my style, but still good. The Red Chicken Curry was great! As was the Thai Kangkong. I would happily order them all again. My friend had the Crab Curry, LOTS of meat. :) But I believe it also had the crab innards as well as the gills/lungs? (I know some people really consider these parts a delicacy, but again, not my thing.) But my friend really enjoyed it. The portions were good sized and we left feeling very full. :) The prices were more than fair and I was very happy with the service. Oh and they even give you a little "flan" like dessert gratis!! Great end to a great meal. If I am ever in the area again I would happily revisit this place.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank DRGNBURN

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Kept Secret in Coron that Shouldn't be a Secret!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Went to Coron for a dive trip. Breakfast was covered at our "Bed and Breakfast" lodging and lunch was provided by our dive operator. Dinner, was not really thought out and we thought we'd figure it out once we arrived in Coron.

We ate dinner at four different locations. All four places were roughly 3 star, and that is being generous.

First full day, I am totally sick and concerned my dive trip may be a canx. Thank you to the small Sari-sari stores for the Gatorade and Skyflakes (and Multi-Symptom Imodium I brought just in case) that kinda kept things in check!

Diving finished and with two days before we leave, we meet a local German resident that tells us about Winnie's. With nothing to loose, we decide to check it out.

Wow...WOW! Food was amazing! If we knew of Winnie's from Day One, we would have ate there every day. First meal was Hungarian Goulash with Rye Bread (owner makes own bread, it is fantastic). Have to say my favorite was the Stir Fry Veggies and the Crab Fried Rice (yes, there is real crab meat).

Winnie's, thank you for making our last two days a heck of a lot better and if ever I do come back to Coron I WILL BE eating at your place.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Wreck D
Afghanistan
“Winnie's is a Winning Restaurant”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

In my search for good food in Coron, I came across this nice little place. The food and service is very good. I was thankful that it was recommended to me, as it was not one of the usual recommendations that I had received.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank BrettF394
Montana
“This Restaurant Has Pride Of Ownership & It Shows”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I came to Coron for the diving. I read about the diving, lodging, and restaurants before I came. I had the diving operation covered as a result. I had the lodging covered as a result. I did not have the restaurant covered, in fact I was actually considering mailing food to Coron. I won't go on ad nauseum about the other restaurants in Coron. Let's just say I spent 7 total days here, this is day 6. I ate around at most of the other restaurants on this list. Today, I was going to give up and just eat cans of Pringles (not joking) to tough it out one more day. The food in Coron leaves that much to be desired. I knew what I was getting into on the food from my research before coming, but really wanted to make all the wreck dives.The restaurants in Coron, if you picked them up, and dropped them to another place in the Philippines or another country would be bankrupt and go out of business in a snap of your fingers. They are truly that bad in my opinion.

So, I had pretty much given up on experimenting at any more Coron restaurants and just figured go with the Pringles. My stomach has been a mess for days without going into more details from the food in Coron. While chatting at the dive shop today, this place was recommended. I thought, I can always just get up and pay if this turns out to be another bad meal. Ya, that didn't happen.

This restaurant would be competitive and do well anywhere else in the Philippines or the world for that matter. The food was good. I mean if I had known about this place on day 1, my trip would have been a whole whole whole lot better. I would have done all my meals here. I only really have one more meal left and I am going here to get it. I don't understand why this is not higher on TripAdvisor (like number 1) and why more people are not reviewing it. It seems buried in with all the other restaurants (they are mediocre AT BEST) and is easily discounted as result (like I did) without giving it a try. Go here day 1 of your trip. If you don't like it, then I wish you luck because I don't believe you will be able to get better food in Coron. I am saying that from personal hard learned experience.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank oek736
mucklagh
“Fantastic Find - you must go!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Loved it here, the owner is so cute and quirky, the food was amazing, best meal in a long time, you were given bread as starters without ordering it, also you got a little treat at the end for desert, very authentic, food was amazing, I had the prawns both nights and they were super fresh and tasty!!! You should go!

Visited April 2014