“nice spot in a pinch!”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Coron
New York City
“nice spot in a pinch!”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

when cebu pacific canceled our flight to manila, which was the 2nd flight of the day to be canceled, there was a mad rush to find lodging in coron until the next day. i saw the big sign for the kokosnuss resort outside busuanga airport so i called them and reserved 2 rooms (one for my boyfried and me, another for an english couple we'd dived with earlier in busuanga).

as mentioned by previous reviewers, this resort is not in coron town but about 10 minutes by tricycle outside of it, closer to the airport. from the airport, it's about 20-25 minutes away. when we arrived, there were a few other guests in the restaurant area. a lovely woman showed us to the nipa huts i'd been told were available; these rooms turned out to be quite basic: two single beds and a ceiling fan. there was a shared bathroom that you'd have to share with about 4 other huts. none of us are very high maintenance, but with the stress of canceled flights and missing our connecting international flights, we wanted a bit more comfort, regardless that these rooms only cost PhP400/night or something ridiculously cheap.

after a few minutes waiting, the woman came back with keys to other rooms, one with a private bath with no a/c (the other couple took this one), and the other with private bath, hot water, a tv that barely worked, and a/c (we took this one). our room cost about PhP1800 for the night and was worth it. this was confusing. why wouldn't you sell us the more expensive rooms, knowing we're only there one night? to top if all off, there was yet another couple there who got an even more expensive room in the new building on the property. i think theirs was PhP2500/night.

we had dinner and breakfast here. my boyfriend had the wiener schnitzel and omg - that was SO GOOD!! i could've eaten his plate for him if he hadn't finished it himself. it was the same woman who showed us the rooms that served us dinner. the menu has a lot of german and filipino foods, as well as photos and brochures advertising kokosnuss and activities and sights.

the transfer to the airport in the morning was a bit... limiting. we had the option of going to the airport very early, like 630am, with a group transfer or we could pay PhP1500 for our own transfer. we didn't really want to spend unneccessarily, but we also didn't want to be at the airport so early for a flight that was to leave at 1040am.

all in all, it was a good place to be for the night we were stranded in coron. and from the sounds of other guests on the 2 canceled flights, all the other hotels in coron town were full. in a pinch, i would not hate it if i had to stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the new building; if they say they don't have anything available, press them...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bktrish

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Total rip-off!! I would never recommend this place to anyone, ever. I thought I'd try this place. I heard the owner was German and a friend of a friend recommended the place. I stayed at the small bungalow (bungalow A), which was priced at 1780 pesos. There was some kind of bug infestation. It wasn't bed bugs or fleas, but the bugs bit and crawled on you just the same. I also paid extra for air conditioning, which didn't work. All of this combined with the fact that the staff weren't very attentive amounted to me relocating the next day. Save your time and money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Joan K

Travellers are raving about these Coron hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was our first hotel on the way to El Nido, we stopped by for one night. The room was pretty clean, we had no bug problems but I think ours was one of the newer rooms and did not have that "screen" at the top of the walls like some other hut rooms we saw. I think we had a more modern newer room, but the price was 1650 pesos per night ($39 US). Seems a bit steep to me, for an average hotel room 2 miles from town. You have to take a trike into town just to do a little shopping, get water bottles or go to the restaurants. They advertise free WIFI but you cant get it in the rooms, only if you take your laptop to the main desk area, where the staff was singing kareoke loudly (maingay). The food was alright I guess. Overall I would say its ok, but pricey and too far from town. My gf did like the place however more than me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bearrulez
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'll have to defend this place a little, after reading all the other reviews here. First of all, Busuanga Island and the town of Coron are not built up tourist areas, and there isn't a lot of money, infrastructure, etc. To the people complaining about Kokosnuss being "too far from the city", get real. Are you too cheap to pay .25 cents for a 2 minute tricycle ride? Would you rather live in the heart of the noisy, dirty town, or in a nicer, quieter place 1 mile away? Get real. Most of the other hotels in Coron are dirty, old and noisy. Do you really want to stay at a downtown hotel 10 feet away from the large, smelly fish market crawling with cats, rats and bugs?

I checked in with a large party of 7, so we booked three rooms; 2 with A/C and one nipa hut with a fan. (On a side note, I was a little puzzled by the comments on the Kokosnuss website regarding air conditioning:

"If, on the other hand you consider yourself a member of the "Idle Rich", you can have a deluxe bungalow accommodation, complete with an en-suite CR and shower, marble flooring and air-conditioning. This is a luxurious indulgence that is not really necessary (and not common in this "wild" area), but good for ones image as a member of the worlds jet setting glitterati..."

I don't get it, are they making fun of the customers for wanting a nicer room, or one with A/C? Believe me, I would prefer to save money and have a nipa hut, but I'm from a cold country and simply cannot sleep in the tropics without A/C, it is was too hot and humid for me. Sorry if I appear to be one of the "idle rich", worrying about my "image". Strange.

Anyway, the first room we checked into was an older one, one of the first he built, and even though it has an A/C which we had on high, it didn't seem to have any effect. My nephews room was ice cold, however, so it had to be the A/C. They moved us to a room next to my nephew, and it was better. The bathrooms in the older rooms are so small you have to step outside to turn around, and there was not even a sink, so we were happy to move into the bigger rooms.

The ceilings are high, and yes, this is a tropical island in the Philippines, so there will be little lizards or bugs managing to get into your room, get over it. Even the 5 star hotels get them. The little lizards are harmless and actually eat scorpions, centipedes and spiders; they won't bother you. I had to laugh about the family that checked out at 8pm because they saw a little Tuko gecko in their room. It's actually considered good luck to have one in your house. Look on wikipedia for the "Tokay Gecko". If you're bothered by things like this, then stay out of the jungle and the Philippines in general.

The food at Kokosnuss is good, mainly German and Filipino food, more expensive than downtown, but if you've ever been or eaten downtown...believe me, it's better to eat at Kokosnuss. You can sit outside in the garden, free wifi, much quieter. Believe me, Kokosnuss is better. At one place downtown, I ordered walnut shrimp and was given a little bowl of stir-fried popcorn shrimp (frozen) and peanuts. The food downtown is horrible, even if I stayed at another hotel, I would go to Kokosnuss just for the food.

Finally, and I see it has been brought up in most every other review, is the problem with the chickens next door. I talked with the owner about it, and he is aware of the problem. He said the problem is the Filipino owner, who is most likely trying to blackmail him. The neighbor rents the land from some other person, and every business he conducts next door seems to be to try and hurt the Kokosnuss's business. First it was a fish-drying business that stunk up the area. Now, it's a chicken farm, raising special chickens for cock-fighting. They give them special pills and hormones and food to make them crazy, which is why they crow constantly. The owner built a 20ft wall, but they are still loud and bothersome. The Filipino members of my group were used to chickens crowing all day, so it didn't bother them.

The owner and I both think the neighbor is basically trying to get him pay not raise chickens, or any kind of disruptive business, but the owner isn't giving in to any of that. Well, if the sounds of chickens doesn't bother you, or you don't mind sleeping with earplugs, then it's fine. The boats out to the beaches and islands all leave early, so if you're a typical Coron tourist, you'll be getting up at 6am anyway.

So, that's my review. It's a nice place, lots of trees and nature, good location, just outside of town, so no karaoke machines until 2am. A nice big courtyard to lounge around in all day, if you don't mind the chickens next door. Good food and beer, friendly owner and workers. No complaints, other than the AC in the first room, which I know they know about, but dont' fix. I'd certainly stay again, which I guess is the ultimate question. I'm only giving them a poor rating because of the chickens next door, which isn't their fault, and can be remedied with earplugs. I'm just being honest.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Dharma_Punk
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 August 2011

people who's been there would always say, WOW!!!...and i'm very much proud to say i'm one of them.I'ts a place in were you can completely feel the comfort and see the glorifying nature of a simple garden.
like anyone else,I'm so thankful that i experienced my travel being with them,and having a stay with much happiness and i really treasure those moments like i'm having another set of family.
to all of the KoKosnUss staff and especially the owner and manager,I'm very much blessed to know you as a part of my travel. THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND GOD BLESS!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank eiza o
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Basic room is 1500p, u expect some standart things ( as cheapest room in coron are from 800p) : wrong!!
No roof in the room, its like camping, the groung in old bamboo so many tiny animals comes into ur bed, no hot water, loudly place ( sounds from road starts at 6h30 and chicken singing around same time too... ) bad if u wanna a good rest after a full day diving.
And the worst is its so far from center then u habe to pay each time a tricycle to go and leave the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Bettascratch
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed two nights at this place before moving to another place. The nice part is the garden. Looks beautiful. But this although results in a lot of bugs. We had several cockroches in our bungalow. Actually we took the most expensiv one for nearly P2.000. Big bathroom, but old interior of beds etc. Nothing special, but not worth then the money.
We did try the German food there, but it was not really good. Only the German beer was quite nice. The food came from the deep freezer instead of freshly done. We as well saw them testing from a pot with a spoon and then putting the testingspoon back in the pot. They do have a big kitchen, but seems not to be very eager to use it. And here is our main concern about the place. There is no real service. The German owner is not very eager to do anything. He build that place and now he is retired. His philippine wife seems to most enjoy chatting with the staff. In the main seating area for guests, there were always 3-5 of the staff sitting. Mainly watching TV and talking with the owners wife. Eating and playing with their mobiles. We sat there for more than 2 hours and non of them even asked once if we would like anything to drink or eat. When we asked, it seems they were disturbed by us ordering food or drinks. Only the German owner was a nice person and pleasant to talk too. But the rest of the staff was purely ignorant.
The location is 20 min. to walk to the city and waterfront. At 5 in the moring about 100 cocks start to sing and you cannot sleep anymore. As well the road is loud sometimes as well.

Summary = expensiv, far away from the city - market - water, medium value bungalows, very ignorant staff.

So if they do not want guests, they should stop the business.

Room Tip: ... go to other places in town.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple