“Good Value....for a quiet Sanctuary!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Busuanga Island Paradise

Busuanga Island Paradise
Ranked #13 of 61 Coron B&B and Inns
N.B
“Good Value....for a quiet Sanctuary!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Our room was excellent! It was a pleasant surprise considering we weren't expecting much!
We were in Casta 2 , suite D. Large clean bathroom and tasteful decor. Shower didn't work well.
Meals were just average. They were not bad, but with a resort setting for dining, I expected a better selection of meals and a higher quality.
The reception and gift store was very good. Lot's of little wooden treasures we didn't see in other areas of the Philippines.
As a business owner,
The overall feel of this resort was that it has been slightly neglected by the owners. You could tell that someone had put a lot of time and money into this quiet getaway initially.....but it now seems as tired as I felt the staff were.
They provided a shuttle into the Coron Town so we could rent motor bikes for our week of
exploring.
Our airport pick up was at least 30 minutes late and when he did arrive he was reckless and fast. I'm a seasoned world traveler, not a wimp, and I didn't feel safe with the transportation company Busuanga provided us.
Please keep in mind that this resort is 12 kms outside of town. This was a highlight for us as we liked the peaceful evening! Please find my review on Coron Town for more details on our Island visit.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgirlnb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

We booked this place for. Our Coron trip over the New Years, 31-1-2nd jan. The airport shuttle picked us and dropped at the hotel in about 25-30 mins. It's in a lush green environment but 20 mins drive from the closest sea/ water area.
At the reception, we were disappointed to know that they had over booked the hotel and we had no Casitas left. We had booked two casitas for us, two couples. And they offered us the la vista rooms, but checkin at evening. If u wish to stay here, make sure you call them n remind about ur exact booking. The casitas are much better than the la vista rooms for a couple and la vista for families travelling together.
The hotel interiors were good , and the service good too. Good variety in food choices too. Restaurants close at 10pm.
We had a good stay except for the fact that we had to settle for other rooms.. And it was our anniversary :(
It's a good place to stay, but after visiting Coron, I would suggest Dive link resort- waterfront as a good option. There are many lodging n bag packing places too depending on the budget. But Coron is a must visit place if you are travelling in the Philippines. :)

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Gauravi S
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Overall this was a really nice hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Its 15 minutes drive from town, which is good in that the location is very quiet and there's more space than hotels in Coron- which can feel very busy and claustrophobic. The hotel offers a shuttle service into town which was generally very efficient (although sometimes we had to wait a while if the shuttle had already gone out) and always was there on time to pick you up. It is a bit annoying to have to tell the driver when you are going to be back, as you don't know when you will finish excursions in town. Shuttle runs until 8 at night, so you can go into town for dinner, but not have a late night. I think getting a tricycle back from town would be pretty expensive/uncomfortable given the condition of the road.

Rooms were really nice, feel quite classy. Bathrooms are really big, although unlike what I read in a room description they do not have a bath. Hot water fairly reliable (although less so in afternoon). We had a TV in our room but it didn't seem to work, not that that matters much. Mini bar has free bottled water in it. One thing I found very weird was that there were lots of windows in the casita placed at about head height that mean other people can see into your casita. Given they are lined up next to each other, this can mean they don't feel very private. Best thing about the Casitas is the veranda outside with comfy chairs- we loved sitting out there are a long day.

Staff were really friendly and helpful throughout our stay- unlike other reviews we found them very competent. Restaurant and breakfast were also good, and not too expensive (comparable to tourist orientated places in town). Particularly the mango shake- yummy! Bit of a bug problem around the breakfast buffet sometimes though.

Overall I would recommend this place to someone who wanted to do the trips in Coron combined with normal lazy pool style holiday activities.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a few nights and overall I can only give this hotel a 3. Reason is that the staff here are not particularly friendly (I have been to other 2-or 3-star hotels in the Phillipines with outstanding services), also the food at the restaurant is poor (again compared to other hotels I stayed in the Phillipines). I do not recommend this hotel to foodies or those who are looking for 5-star service.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I was looking for a few days away from my Manila at the end of a month working there. I checked out their website on the recommendation of a local colleague and booked a 3 day / 2 night package with Island Hoping tour. The place is well kept and within the confines of the expected wildlife for the area it was clean and comfortable.

The location is set away from the coast and as I was only there for two nights I didn't really do anything apart from the organised trips and relaxing as much as I could. Food was excellent and the staff will try to meet your needs as much as they can.

There is no cell phone coverage but there is satellite broadband provided for guests via a wireless hotspot in the main dining / lounge area.

Would certainly recommend to those looking to get away from it all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed 3 nights and 2 days, a quickie vacation that was perfect in so many ways. The iced tea welcome drink was a nice touch, and the air conditioned rooms were perfect for our family of four. Beds were firm and some of the most comfortable I have ever slept on while not on my own bed. The pool was perfectly refreshing after a day of touring, and the mango shake cannot be beaten!

Food was par for what we had elsewhere on the island. Breakfasts were amazing, and the fresh eggs were cooked to order. The Sunday buffet breakfast was also quite good. Coffee was plentiful--and we were thankful.

Service was timely and I was amazed at how they worked to accommodate every need. Sandwiches delivered to the room for the sunburned boy--no problem. Starting breakfast before 7am? No problem. When things were not possible--sorry, no crabs today--it was understandable.

We had made arrangements with a local tour guide, Francisco Castil, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip out that he arranged. Tours through the resort were more expensive, but the couple we spoke with there who used them also enjoyed themselves.

Yes, we saw bugs and yes we saw lizards but it IS a tropical rainforest. The island is just now being developed, so roads were rough, bridges were still being built, and knick-knacks for tourists are minimal. We happen to like all of that:)

Whatever you do, be sure to get in the water around the islands and enjoy the amazing coral and water. Sunscreen the backs of your legs and be ready for the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My thoughts on Busuanga Island Paradise are summed up in the title of the review.
In tagalog, one would say, "nakamamanghang!" (Fantastic)

I want to preface my review by saying that when you travel to a country/place for the first time, please do your homework on what to expect at your destination BEFORE you leave home.
To me, this is just plain common sense,
Sadly, some of the minor gripes of reviewers have been unfairly given because the reviewer failed to do some basic homework.

Now to the review....

I had not been to the Philippines before, so went there because i wanted to go somewhere different. (i'd been to Thailand several times)
I'm not a fan of the big cities around the world, (Bangkok for example) particularly Asia, mainly because of the hustle/bustle/noise/pollution/poverty, but figured that i'd spend 2 days in Manila, (just so i could say i'd been there) and then, because i'd done my homework, i'd fly out to Busuanga and spend a week at BIP. (Busuanga Island Paradise)
Why did i settle on BIP ?
I chose BIP because i knew it was going to be peaceful & beautiful, as well as being relatively inexpensive, yet not too far away from a town should i need something.
I am so glad i chose BIP !
After just 2 hours of being at BIP, i was already thinking, "Gee, i have to come back here".

First off, it fully lived up to (and exceeded) my expectations of the place.

I had booked the 3 day 2 night island hopping package, and an extra 5 nights.
Included in that was mini bus transfers to/from the airport/resort.
On arrival at Busuanga Airport (i flew airphil express) I was greeted by the van driver, and taken to BIP.
It was a totally seamless transition from stepping off a plane at a foreign airport, to the accomodation.

On arrival at the resort, i was greeted with a welcome drink, and checking in was also very easy and relaxed.
In fact, right from that point of checking in, and indeed right to the point of checking out, i was totally consumed with the sense that i was being treated like a king, rather than the usual experience of big city hotels where you always feel like you're being treated like a number, and with a fake smile.
There is nothing at all "fake" about BIP.
Right from the get go, the staff were so genuinely friendly and caring, and their quiet/relaxed nature also put me at peace.

From 2 days in the hustle and bustle of Manila, to walking into BIP, was akin to going from 100kph to a dead stop !

As i was travelling alone, i had booked into a Casita. (see photo's)
Inside the Casita was 2 x double beds, a television (with free satellite), air con, bathroom etc.
The air con worked very well given the humidity outside, and the bed/s were very comfortable.

In fact, i slept better there than i do here at home !

The rooms are fully serviced each day.

Meals were not set meals as another reviewer suggested.
For breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you can choose from a menu which has a good selection of local and American dishes.
Personally, i like to eat what the locals eat when i'm in another country, so for breakfast i was generally having the Filipino breakfast (Beef Tapas).

When I was at the resort and not in town (Coron) or island hopping, I would have a chicken sandwich or similar for lunch.
At dinner, I tried various local dishes, including Chicken/Pork Adobo, and Beef Steak Filipino (marinated in Calamansi & Soy sauce, with garlic, onion, pepper).
I also had Pampangan Tocino which is to die for !!!

The food was absolutely superb (and plentiful), and could not fault it in any way.

After a day of shopping in Coron Town, or hopping the islands, it was so nice to return to the resort and have a terrific dinner, followed by a swim in the pool, followed by a few beers at the pool bar, followed by the best massage I have had anywhere in Asia ! (Or elsewhere for that matter)

The massage service isn’t widely advertised, so you will need to ask for it.
The masseuse comes to your room at the arranged time, and let me tell you, for 400PHP per hour (which is less than $10 AUD/USD) you will most likely have a massage more than once a day !!

My masseuse’s name was Melany, and she has the hands of a goddess !!

If you are a male guest at BIP, and want to avail yourself of a massage, please do so, but if you have any illusions that the massage will be anything other than a simple relaxation massage, then you are in the wrong place.
Other kind of massages may or may not be available in Coron Town, but at BIP, it is totally professional.

All the staff at BIP will show you the utmost in respect, so please afford them the same respect, and treat them as you would a family member.

I enjoyed everything about my stay at BIP, but specifically, I enjoyed going for long walks along the highway that runs past the front of the resort.
It’s not so much a highway, but more a country road.
Walking along this road gives you the perfect opportunity to see how the local villagers live and work.
Whilst out walking, it seemed that I (as a white man) was a bit of a novelty for them.
It must have been strange for them to see a white guy walking down the road past their houses, but they were really friendly, and always offered up a smile or a wave. (which I returned)
That kind of warmth and friendliness is synonymous with the Philippino people though.
Rural Philippino’s are much like Rural Thai’s.
They are so quiet, peaceful, and humble people.

One of the highlights of staying at BIP was the performance of a tribal music group called Tribu Calamianen.
I commented to the group after their gig that it was such a pleasure to listen to their music which was sung with meaning, as opposed to commercially churned out songs with lyrics.
I really enjoyed their performance, and their music was certainly infectious.
Their CD is available for purchase from reception / gift shop at the resort at 400PHP / $10.

Reviews such as these found on TA go a very long way in helping a person decide if a certain place is right for them, but the best advertisement for Busuanga Island Paradise that I saw, was the fact that other Philippino’s (generally from Manila) go there for a holiday !
Who knows better than a local right ?

When you take the free shuttle bus from the resort into Coron, be sure to walk up Mt Tapyas, and also visit that Coron Public Market and the Fish Market.

I can’t wait to go back to BIP, as it was simply heaven in paradise.

I would be only too happy to hear from anyone who is thinking of making a trip to Busuanga Island Paradise, and has specific questions.
I will do my best to answer any question you may have.

To Rina and all her staff, Maraming Salamat !!!!!

Room Tip: For a couple - Choose a "Casita". For a family or group, choose a "La Vista"