“3 star dining at 5 star prices”

The Crown Inn Shorwell
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Shorwell
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Crown Inn is located in the small village of Shorwell, just 5 miles from the centre of the Isle of Wight's principal town of Newport. Shorwell, a countryside village in the southwest, is a pretty, quiet little hideaway – the Post Office is its only shop! Throughout Shorwell you'll find thatched cottages, three impressive manor houses and a historic church. Customers at the village's Crown Inn enjoy an authentic country atmosphere, a log fire in winter and a rear garden complete with a trout stream. It's a welcoming destination for outdoor types who voted it Best Pub For Walkers in a recent Wightlink survey. PLEASE NOTE: As of December 2016 The Crown Inn is under new ownership and management, please ignore older images and reviews.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Visited this pub with a large group of friends (18 of us) for lunch, ordering drinks and food at the bar. Drinks appeared relatively expensive - mine came to £6.90 for a pint and a large cola. Food took a long time to appear (approx. 20+ minutes) even for sandwiches and, after serving the rest of the group, had to ask my wife and myself what we had ordered - not impressed. Our food eventually arrived after another 10 minutes. None of the group were really impressed with either the quality or portion size for the cost. 18 rather disappointed customers at least 2 of whom will not be returning.

1  Thank Wightryde
There are newer reviews for The Crown Inn Shorwell

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Enjoyed a beautiful casual lunch - the homemade pate was wonderful. Staff friendly and helpful. Enjoyed. Would return when next in the area

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having many fond memories of this pub, my family looked forward to going to the Crown inn.

Sadly, we were disappointed.

It was as if the owners had decided 5 years ago that how everything was in that exact moment was perfect - and they've done nothing since. The otherwise lovely garden is overgrown - the pond has be neglected - there are bricks strewn everywhere. The children's playground was saturated with water, muddy - not safe for children. Admittedly, that's more to do with the weather, but it suggests a lack of maintenance regardless.

Things were no better inside, with a lackluster atmosphere. The tables were crammed in - the staff at one point were doing something reminiscent of contortionism to serve us our meals. In the same vein, for drinks we had to order at the bar, for the main meal we had to order at the bar - however for dessert a waiter came to our table? Strange, especially since we had to pay our bill at the bar. Hardly convenient.

The decor was poor, with a musty smell of wet dog lingering in the air - a souvenir of their apparently very liberal policy on dogs. Quite becoming to the locals I'm sure, but for a family trying to enjoy their lunch - it was somewhat offputting. It was very dark, with dust on the decorative surfaces - again a sign that the owners decided that everything in that moment 5 years ago was perfect and thus requires no upkeep from that point.

The food was average at best, sadly. Perhaps by this point we were a bit disenchanted by the whole meal - but even so. I had the bangers and mash - a simple choice. It seemed overcooked. The rest of my party seemed to enjoy their meals, but the consensus was that the food was average. Dessert was little better - I believe my brownie was a microwavable one - which I would have no problems with - if it wasn't obviously microwavable. But, I stress I only think it was microwavable, I am probably wrong. The Ice Cream was nice - we all agreed on this. At the time, there were communication issues, as a pavlova was advertised as Kiwi, however, it was in fact strawberry - we were notified of this after we had placed our order. The waiter from whom we ordered was not aware.

But, a lot of this could be forgiven if simply not for the price! The price for what we got was very poor value. My bangers and mash was £11 for a decidedly average meal. Perhaps I've been spoiled by other venues which charge £7 for a far more enjoyable meal, but for £11 I expect a little more than literally: 'bangers and mash'. Sweet caramelised onions, perhaps? There was, what I assume, was a caramelized onion sauce decorating the plate, but it seemed to have come out of a bottle (cheap) rather than suggesting a genuine commitment to good food.

I'm saddened by my experience here, and I don't plan on recommending it to my friends - a shame, as I do have genuinely fond memories of this pub. The current owners seem sucked into the apathy field that permeates the Isle of Wight. Once again, such a shame.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We always like to visit The Crown Inn when we visit the island as its dog friendly so our furry friend is able to come along with us. Aside from the dog friendliness, The food is always very good & there is a great choice on offer particularly on the specials board. This is a very welcoming place to stop and enjoy a meal or a drink. If you visit in good weather its lovely to sit outside and watch the fish in the stream too.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Spent many nights in this lovely country pub. Lovely food and great service. The owners made use feel very welcome, only wish we had a pub like this at home